Uprising in Libya

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Re: Gaddafi orders crackdown, leaves many dead

Post by Fingolfin_Noldor »

Thanas wrote:My respect for Hillary Clinton has just soared:

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0311/51515.html
This is the same woman who support Mubarak!
STGOD: Byzantine Empire
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Fingolfin_Noldor wrote:Even if Qaddafi goes, who's going to take over the country? Qaddafi has effectively crushed opposition to his rule for decades, and I seriously doubt getting rid of him is going to solve the problems. The opposition is hardly united. If anything, getting rid of him is just going to open more can of worms. It's not that I am saying he should stay, but no one seems to be even remotely openly talking about "what next?" but shying away from the issue altogether. Impose democracy? There are no insitutions to support democracy. Nevermind the part of the population pissed off at having their favourite patron kicked off the perch.
The opposition is organized enough that they are at the popint where they have a leadership council having semi-public meetings. To be frank, the anti-Qaddafi forces are much more organized then you are giving them credit for.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Post by Fingolfin_Noldor »

Lonestar wrote:
Fingolfin_Noldor wrote:Even if Qaddafi goes, who's going to take over the country? Qaddafi has effectively crushed opposition to his rule for decades, and I seriously doubt getting rid of him is going to solve the problems. The opposition is hardly united. If anything, getting rid of him is just going to open more can of worms. It's not that I am saying he should stay, but no one seems to be even remotely openly talking about "what next?" but shying away from the issue altogether. Impose democracy? There are no insitutions to support democracy. Nevermind the part of the population pissed off at having their favourite patron kicked off the perch.
The opposition is organized enough that they are at the popint where they have a leadership council having semi-public meetings. To be frank, the anti-Qaddafi forces are much more organized then you are giving them credit for.
Organized enough to send young men who have zero stomach for battle to man vital check points!?

As it is, the main bulk of the opposition is in Benghazi, but outside there is anything but that clear cut. At one point there was at least one news article that mentioned that ther was in-fighting among the opposition and some cities are effectively city states in their own right.
STGOD: Byzantine Empire
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Fingolfin_Noldor wrote:Even if Qaddafi goes, who's going to take over the country? Qaddafi has effectively crushed opposition to his rule for decades, and I seriously doubt getting rid of him is going to solve the problems. The opposition is hardly united. If anything, getting rid of him is just going to open more can of worms. It's not that I am saying he should stay, but no one seems to be even remotely openly talking about "what next?" but shying away from the issue altogether. Impose democracy? There are no insitutions to support democracy. Nevermind the part of the population pissed off at having their favourite patron kicked off the perch. The Eygptians are likely to take advantage, and quite likely, we are simply swapping one dictator for another.
It will open a can of worms, is not the US always looking like it’s on the edge of political chaos? Fear of that uncertainty and violence in the streets over it is why the dictatorships rose so powerfully world wide after the First World War and again after the Second World War. Those dictatorships did not turn out to be viable alternatives, thinking a dictatorship is better is really just selling the human race short. Libya doesn’t have institutions, so what? They can form them, it is not a country entirely without education and money is not a serious problem either. We will have to wait and see if the country splits, or if bitter civil conflict will drag on for years, but I don’t think it will. Gaddafi simply didn’t have any basis to rule other then having been around so long. He didn’t make Libya strong militarily, totally the opposite, he didn’t make it big internationally except through random terror, he didn’t build up the infrastructure, he doesn’t even seem to have made his own life that grandiose in reality (no Saddamistani palace spamming). As far as I can tell he in fact appears to have just hoarded money like crazy until a few years ago when a lot was invested in the west. He has his supporters sure, but we aren’t even remotely seeing all his opponents on TV because so many have lived in terror this whole time and never go outside for a solid month now.

If we swap one dictator for another then so be it; but the point is to give the people a damn chance. They don't have a chance if Gaddafi can hire people from outside the country to boost his numbers enough to afford to bombard cities with his mountains of ammo. Even one single BM-21 rocket launcher could put 20,000 rockets into Benghazi in a month.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

I was wondering why France and Italy don't intervene. They're much closer and have actual armed forces to work with and import much of their oil from Libya. Are they just hedging their bets in case Ghadafi wins?
montypython
Jedi Master

Post by montypython »

Elfdart wrote:I was wondering why France and Italy don't intervene. They're much closer and have actual armed forces to work with and import much of their oil from Libya. Are they just hedging their bets in case Ghadafi wins?
France is the one that's been saying that they can mobilize against gaddafi in a few hours; now that the UN motion has passed.
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Elfdart wrote:I was wondering why France and Italy don't intervene. They're much closer and have actual armed forces to work with and import much of their oil from Libya. Are they just hedging their bets in case Ghadafi wins?
The CdG has been doing circles in the Med for the past few weeks(planned maintenance was deffered). Honestly, France could probably knock Qacky Qadaffi on his ass by itself, but for whatever reason Sarkozy was insisting on a formal blessing from the UN.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Because European nations tend to frown on wars without UN blessing.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Prannon
Jedi Knight

Post by Prannon »

I don't have much knowledge on Libya, and this comment is optimistic at best. However, I'd dare say that the speed with which the opposition was able to set up some sort of central authority in Benghazi betrays a better organization than people would give them credit for. At least, this is true for what is supposed to be a decentralized, disorganized opposition. Also, keep in mind that this fight, for them, is their chance to work together and set up communications that will have a lasting impact on what comes next.

All that said, yeah, we can probably expect a chaotic post-Gaddafi Libya, if that is what we are destined for. Egypt and Tunisia haven't been cakewalks by any means.
Pelranius
Sith Marauder

Post by Pelranius »

How much longer until military action happens?

I've heard we'll have to wait until Sunday or Monday, but given that the USS Enterprise and Charles De Gaulle are in the vicinity, couldn't it be done sooner?
Turns out that a five way cross over between It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, the Ali G Show, Fargo, Idiocracy and Veep is a lot less funny when you're actually living in it.
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

It could have been done within six hours. Clearly not the plan.

Its been said for several days we expect the Arabs to play a major role, and I expect they want to wait wait as long as possible so as to try to integrate whatever Arab air forces are volunteering into the operational plan in a substantial first day role. Its normally a 72 hour from task assigned to mission flown cycle to plan and operate an air campaign. Also it reasonably takes 48-72 hours just to physically generate and launch US heavy bomber sorties and then have it fly the 6,000 mile radius mission. Such heavy assets may or may not be used; it depends on how serious we are about physically shutting down all the runways and obliterating SAM sites or merely putting them out of action or waiting to see if they even can effectively fire (the ones the rebels captured looks like worn crap). After all the resolution does not say declare all out war on Libya, it says take all action required to protect civilians. That can be very broadly read, but I don't think a completely massive attack is coming.

I suspect a contingency plan is in place for immediate strikes if Benghazi comes under attack, or it looks like the forgotten defenders of Misratah who had now held against a siege for three weeks might collapse. They are being bombarded right now on three sides and have been for most of the last week. The last side is the ocean. Its also not unlikely that Sunday-Monday is disinformation and it will come Saturday. I am doubtful that more then armed reconnaissance over the Benghazi-Ajdabiya area will take place Friday, well today now, if even that. If Ajdabiya is still holding out, which it may very well be, then bombing might commence during one of those recon runs.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Block
Jedi Council Member

Post by Block »

Prannon wrote:I don't have much knowledge on Libya, and this comment is optimistic at best. However, I'd dare say that the speed with which the opposition was able to set up some sort of central authority in Benghazi betrays a better organization than people would give them credit for. At least, this is true for what is supposed to be a decentralized, disorganized opposition. Also, keep in mind that this fight, for them, is their chance to work together and set up communications that will have a lasting impact on what comes next.

All that said, yeah, we can probably expect a chaotic post-Gaddafi Libya, if that is what we are destined for. Egypt and Tunisia haven't been cakewalks by any means.
It depends a great deal on who's in that central authority. The large tribes already have their own councils and since the opposition is mostly made up of the Eastern tribes of Lybia, it's quite possible that their leadership just put themselves in place as a "coalition." One thing that the journalists haven't really seemed to dig into as far as I can find is who exactly is the higher leadership of the rebels, and it wouldn't particularly shock me if this is as much a tribal struggle for power as it is about freedom, democracy or anything else, although self defense is of course part of it since Qaddafi's men shot up a couple funerals for no reason anyone can seem to figure out.
Prannon
Jedi Knight

Post by Prannon »

Block wrote: It depends a great deal on who's in that central authority. The large tribes already have their own councils and since the opposition is mostly made up of the Eastern tribes of Lybia, it's quite possible that their leadership just put themselves in place as a "coalition." One thing that the journalists haven't really seemed to dig into as far as I can find is who exactly is the higher leadership of the rebels, and it wouldn't particularly shock me if this is as much a tribal struggle for power as it is about freedom, democracy or anything else, although self defense is of course part of it since Qaddafi's men shot up a couple funerals for no reason anyone can seem to figure out.
This is true, and another thing to consider is that the revolution is somewhat headed by former government figures. I think it was the Minister of Justice or something like that who was heading up the Council that has taken residence in Benghazi. Also keep in mind the sheer number of diplomatic defections plus the army units that refused to act and continue to sit on the sidelines. This whole things comes across, on an administration level, as a split of Libyan leadership rather than the pure popular convulsions that gripped Tunisia and Egypt. So yeah, given that Libya appears to have a history of East/West conflict and popular uprisings, I'd say that the "tribal struggle for power" paradigm is quite probably what is happening. Not to the same level of Iraq, but present.
someone_else
Jedi Knight

Post by someone_else »

Dunno about France, but here in Italy the government is blatantly ignoring what is happening in both Japan and Lybia to focus on saving the ass of Berlusconi from his trials with the "epochal justice reform".

And I'd rather hope we don't intervene alone. My country has an already troubled enough economy as-is, and Lybia is going to be a major expense to pacify.
I'm nobody. Nobody at all. But the secrets of the universe don't mind. They reveal themselves to nobodies who care.
--
Stereotypical spacecraft are pressurized.
Less realistic spacecraft are pressurized to hold breathing atmosphere.
Realistic spacecraft are pressurized because they are flying propellant tanks. -Isaac Kuo

--
Good art has function as well as form. I hesitate to spend more than $50 on decorations of any kind unless they can be used to pummel an intruder into submission. -Sriad
Aaron
Blackpowder Man

Post by Aaron »

Heard on the radio just now that the Canadian government is expected to announce 6 CF-18's to be deployed for the no-fly zone. On top of HMCS Charlottetown already on station with the Yanks.

*edit: Fixed spelling error.
M1891/30: A bad day on the range is better then a good day at work.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

France is apparently itching to go in. They remind me of a bulldog that is held back by its master, struggling against the webbing to get at them.
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Dartzap
Sith Acolyte

Post by Dartzap »

David Cameron is currently an hour into a Q&A in the Commons. So far he's confirmed Typhoons, Tornadoes, Tankers and surveillance craft. Seems to be pretty adamant that Arab Leaguers are preparing to be in on it, but for obvious reasons isnt saying who they be.

I'm currently wandering if this will lead to a freeze in the cuts to some of the military, similar to what happened during the Falklands conflict, especially if it all goes tits up.
EBC: Northeners, Huh! What are they good for?! Absolutely nothing! :P

Cybertron, Justice league...MM, HAB SDN City Watch: Sergeant Detritus

Days Unstabbed, Unabused, Unassualted and Unwavedatwithabutchersknife: 0
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

I am pretty sure the USA will jump in at some time. Because they still want to lead the west, and having the EU go alone is kinda contraproductive in that regard.
------------
------------
My LPs
Dartzap
Sith Acolyte

Post by Dartzap »

Breaking: Gaddaffi has ordered an immediate ceasefire.
EBC: Northeners, Huh! What are they good for?! Absolutely nothing! :P

Cybertron, Justice league...MM, HAB SDN City Watch: Sergeant Detritus

Days Unstabbed, Unabused, Unassualted and Unwavedatwithabutchersknife: 0
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

That was quick
I mean, the other day he was treatening to shoot down civilian aircraft but I guess he knew his bluff was far fetched.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

This is a very smart move on his part. He tries to wait the westerners out by either forcing them to attack him or to continue patrols - and when they are gone, guess what happens.
------------
------------
My LPs
HMS Sophia
Jedi Master

Post by HMS Sophia »

Ok, someone help, because my brain is deciding not too work properly:
What does this ceasefire mean for the no-fly-zone proposition?
For the Forces at sea like HMS York and such?
For the Rebels?
And what will it lead too?

I'm blaming my brain fail on the essay I'm writing :oops:
"Seriously though, every time I see something like this I think 'Ooo, I'm living in the future'. Unfortunately it increasingly looks like it's going to be a cyberpunkish dystopia, where the poor eat recycled shit and the rich eat the poor." Evilsoup, on the future

StarGazer, an experiment in RPG creation
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

Appearantly the city of Misrata is still being bombed but perhaps they didn't got the message yet.
GrandMasterTerwynn
Emperor's Hand

Post by GrandMasterTerwynn »

wautd wrote:That was quick
I mean, the other day he was treatening to shoot down civilian aircraft but I guess he knew his bluff was far fetched.
A ceasefire just means that he now has time to establish a logistical train to bring shells to his tanks and artillery and bring in more mercenaries. That way, when it (inevitably) breaks down, he'll be able to roll up the rebellion under a hail of high explosives and canister shot. Of course, he'll have to do it carefully, since (ideally) Western warplanes will be making daily patrols. But, if Gaddafi is determined not to go, then he can afford to wait out the West. Again, time is his friend; since it gives him time to get more of his heavy stuff out of desert storage. It's not the friend of the rebellion, unless Egypt is secretly shipping them their T-62s out of storage.
salm
Rabid Monkey

Post by salm »

How can he order a ceasefire? Wouldn´t the rebels have to agree to one first?
Had the rebells ordered a ceasefire would Gaddafis troups have stoped shooting?

This ceasefire order is worth nothing.