Zeitgeist

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Enforcer Talen
Warlock

Zeitgeist

Post by Enforcer Talen »

So, I had this film recommended to me. I usually put it in the conspiracy theory section of my head, but I'm watching it in full now. Its intriguing. Anyone else seen it? Its on you tube, and its not a bad way to spend an hour or two.
This day is Fantastic!
Myers Briggs: ENTJ
Political Compass: -3/-6
DOOMer WoW
"I really hate it when the guy you were pegging as Mr. Worst Case starts saying, "Oh, I was wrong, it's going to be much worse." " - Adrian Laguna
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Re: Zeitgeist

Post by Admiral Valdemar »

Ironically, I was just watching some Chris Martenson stuff that someone commented on recommending Zeitgeist too. I've not seen it, and I hear it has many flaws in it, so I would instead recommend Crash Course and Renaissance 2.0 which are very good, brief looks at the major problems regarding our currently crumbling economic structure, resource constraints and how the people in power deal with these and us as an aside (and how we seem to let them get away with it).

I'm about to watch a documentary called Blind Spot I've had recommended to me as well. It's likely nothing you can't already find in the above lecture series, but how people go about informing people is always interesting to find out. Some can be totally unengaging, while others make you really think.
Ariphaos
Jedi Council Member

Post by Ariphaos »

Zeitgeist is packed with more lies and bullshit than the love child of Kent Hovind and Jack Chick. It's the conspiracy theorist's version of the Gish Gush.
Give fire to a man, and he will be warm for a day.
Set him on fire, and he will be warm for life.
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

That's pretty much what I hear, along with it being no better than 9/11 truther bullshit.
Kuroji
Padawan Learner

Post by Kuroji »

Hell, part of it include the truther bullshit.

Basically it's 'okay let's tear down all our cities and build new ones that will be ruled over by magical AI who know what's best for everyone and no one will need money ever'
Steel, on nBSG's finale: "I'd liken it to having a really great time with these girls, you go back to their place, think its going to get even better- suddenly there are dicks everywhere and you realise you were in a ladyboy bar all evening."
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

So it has Singularity wank too? Brilliant.
ArmorPierce
Rabid Monkey
Location: Born and raised in Brooklyn, unfornately presently in Jersey

Post by ArmorPierce »

watched it, a lot of lies and quoting people way out of context. One quote that sticks in my mind was them quoting bill clinton where he stated he was willing to give up some freedoms but the full actual quote if you googled it shows that he was talking about guns.
Brotherhood of the Monkey @( !.! )@
To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift. ~Steve Prefontaine
Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at an Elingsh uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht frist and lsat ltteer are in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae we do not raed ervey lteter by it slef but the wrod as a wlohe.
Kuroji
Padawan Learner

Post by Kuroji »

Admiral Valdemar wrote:So it has Singularity wank too? Brilliant.
Most of what I'd seen, they completely glossed over where this magical AI is going to come from. Or for that matter how they're going to get their wonderful City Of Tomorrow built.

Yeah, it's total bullshit.
Steel, on nBSG's finale: "I'd liken it to having a really great time with these girls, you go back to their place, think its going to get even better- suddenly there are dicks everywhere and you realise you were in a ladyboy bar all evening."
Rye
To Mega Therion

Post by Rye »

It's fucking dreadful. It's biblical textual analysis is so wrong and misleading I turned it off, it's nothing short of outright lies mixed with a few snippets of truth to get an air of plausibility.

And then there's all the conspiracy theories and the rest of that bullshit, I find it impossible to comprehend why it has an even remotely positive, well-known reputation. It's fucking retarded.
EBC|Fucking Metal|Artist|Androgynous Sexfiend|Gozer Kvltist|
Listen to my music! http://www.soundclick.com/nihilanth
"America is, now, the most powerful and economically prosperous nation in the country." - Master of Ossus
Kuroji
Padawan Learner

Post by Kuroji »

It gained its reputation because anything that's sufficiently upbeat will find an audience somewhere on the internet. So will anything sufficiently downbeat, for that matter. Unfortunately this reputation is mostly spread among idealists, high school and early college students who think that yes, they really can change how the world works and convince well over six billion people that they don't really need silly things like money, their own government or any sort of police because committing a crime means there's something wrong with society, not you!
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

I have to confess that I would've probably given this more benefit of the doubt than it deserves a few years ago, because I really was something of an idealist for the technocopian utopia of TEH FUTUAR!!1! where money is no object and poverty, disease and general human nastiness has been dealt with via science.
Marcus Aurelius
Jedi Master

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

Admiral Valdemar wrote:I have to confess that I would've probably given this more benefit of the doubt than it deserves a few years ago, because I really was something of an idealist for the technocopian utopia of TEH FUTUAR!!1! where money is no object and poverty, disease and general human nastiness has been dealt with via science.
We just have to hope that the Culture is real and not fantasy of a certain Scottish writer :mrgreen:

This brings to my mind one of the better explanations on why even many well-educated people still believe in a good and loving God: God takes away the responsibility. As long as there is God it does not matter how badly we humans fuck up, not really, because eventually God will always make it all right again.