Government health care rescues protesters at anti-government

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

dr. what
Jedi Master

Government health care rescues protesters at anti-government

Post by dr. what »

ThinkProgress link
Thousands of protesters came to Capitol Hill yesterday for Rep. Michele Bachmann’s (R-MN) protest against health care reform, capping months of fear-mongering about the dangers of so-called “socialized” medicine.

However, the Washington Post’s Dana Milbank notes that at one point, one of the protesters had a heart attack. Luckily, federally-employed medical personnel were able to quickly attend to him — even though they were part of government-run health care, which is supposedly quite dangerous:
More ominously, a man standing just beyond the TV cameras apparently suffered a heart attack 20 minutes after event began.

Medical personnel from the Capitol physician’s office — an entity that could, quite accurately, be labeled government-run health care — rushed over, attaching electrodes to his chest and giving him oxygen and an IV drip.

This turned into an unwanted visual for the speakers, as a D.C. ambulance and firetruck, lights flashing, pulled in just behind the lawmakers. A path was made through the media section, and the patient, attended to by about 10 government medical personnel, was being wheeled away on a stretcher just as House Minority Leader John Boehner (R-Ohio) stepped to the microphone. “Join us in defeating Pelosi care!” he exhorted. A few members stole a glance at the stretcher.

By the end of the day, “medics had administered government-run health care to at least five people in the crowd who were stricken as they denounced government-run health care.”
Darksider
Sith Acolyte

Re: Government health care rescues protesters at anti-government

Post by Darksider »

*Tries to contain laughter and fails*

BWAH HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA

The irony is so delicious. I must eat it up.

Still, having seen some of the people at these "protests," i'm not surprised someone had a heart attack. Are medical problems (Heart attacks, heat stroke, etc.) common at large gatherings, or did it just happen because the protesters consisted almost entirely of old fat people?
And this is why you don't watch anything produced by Ronald D. Moore after he had his brain surgically removed and replaced with a bag of elephant semen.-Gramzamber, on why Caprica sucks
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

your forgetting Randians and Neocons are immune to Irony.

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
AdmiralKanos
Lex Animata
Lex Animata

Post by AdmiralKanos »

It's true. Right-wingers use government programs and social services all the time, rely on them, and then rant about how evil they are without a trace of irony. They will even damned-near worship certain examples, such as fire departments and police officers and soldiers, all the while ranting about the evils of "statism". They really do lack the ability to see the contradiction.

A right-winger confronted with this example would just claim that private insurance would have done the same thing more cheaply, and then ignored you when you pointed out evidence that private insurance companies are actually incredibly inefficient.
For a time, I considered sparing your wretched little planet Cybertron.
But now, you shall witnesss ... its dismemberment!

"This is what happens when you use trivia napkins for research material"- Sea Skimmer on "Pearl Harbour".
"Do you work out? Your hands are so strong! Especially the right one!"- spoken to Bud Bundy
bobalot
Jedi Council Member

Post by bobalot »

They are like those smokers who whine about cigarette taxes and the nanny state, claiming that they totally responsible for their actions and will never burden the health system once they get sick, but when they get sick guess what happens?

All these arseholes ever do is talk, when it comes down to the crunch they rarely ever live up to their own ideals.
"This statement, in its utterly clueless hubristic stupidity, cannot be improved upon. I merely quote it in admiration of its perfection." - Garibaldi

"Problem is, while the Germans have had many mea culpas and quite painfully dealt with their history, the South is still hellbent on painting themselves as the real victims. It gives them a special place in the history of assholes" - Covenant

"Over three million died fighting for the emperor, but when the war was over he pretended it was not his responsibility. What kind of man does that?'' - Saburo Sakai

Join SDN on Discord
The Yosemite Bear

More Irony is that Bachmann's family has profitted signifigantly off the insurance industry, and taking the government for every time they could in the name of free market profit.

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Fleet Admiral JD
Jedi Master

Post by Fleet Admiral JD »

As the old example goes, Somalia is an anarchy with a lot of guns. I would love to see how long any of these people would survive there without the government services that make their comfortable lives possible.

I bet if we took just one service--say, the DoT snowplowing roads away for just one winter--these people would start to figure it out. Unfortunately, I don't see that happening.
Parrothead | CINC HABNAV | Black Mage In Training (Invited by Lady T)

The Acta Diurna: My blog on politics, history, theatre tech, music, and more!
Serafina
Sith Acolyte

Post by Serafina »

Fleet Admiral JD wrote:As the old example goes, Somalia is an anarchy with a lot of guns. I would love to see how long any of these people would survive there without the government services that make their comfortable lives possible.

I bet if we took just one service--say, the DoT snowplowing roads away for just one winter--these people would start to figure it out. Unfortunately, I don't see that happening.
No - in that case, they would be mad at the "inefficient and corrupt goverment that can not even provide a basic service with our hard-earned tax money".
Really, the chance of these people figuring aynthing out is neglibile.
SoS:NBA GALE Force
"Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent." - Sir Nitram
"The world owes you nothing but painful lessons" - CaptainChewbacca
"The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of a mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one." - Wilhelm Stekel
"In 1969 it was easier to send a man to the Moon than to have the public accept a homosexual" - Broomstick

Divine Administration - of Gods and Bureaucracy (Worm/Exalted)
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

AdmiralKanos wrote:It's true. Right-wingers use government programs and social services all the time, rely on them, and then rant about how evil they are without a trace of irony. They will even damned-near worship certain examples, such as fire departments and police officers and soldiers, all the while ranting about the evils of "statism". They really do lack the ability to see the contradiction.
You forgot the part where they don't pay for them. Statistically speaking, red states take more money in social programs and state support than they pay in taxes. Statistically speaking, blue states are the other way around...

So my reply to the guys making the comment Serafina cites is "our tax money?" What do you mean "we?"
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
The Yosemite Bear

rememer if you cheat medicare out of a hundred dollars a month your a welfare queen and a parasite. If you rip off medicare for Millions a month, your one of the top three health insurance companies, and have supporters on both sides of the Isle.