WV Voting Machines Switching Votes?

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Keevan_Colton
Emperor's Hand
Location: In the Land of Logic and Reason, two doors down from Lilliput and across the road from Atlantis...

Re: WV Voting Machines Switching Votes?

Post by Keevan_Colton »

Oh Stormy dearest, have you forgotten the Diebold emails in the run up to 2004? You know the ones that they sued to get taken down on the grounds of copyright? The ones that they admitted were theirs, but which the national media did essentially fuck all about?

How do those suit you for proof of criminal minded republicans?
"Prodesse Non Nocere."
"It's all about popularity really, if your invisible friend that tells you to invade places is called Napoleon, you're a loony, if he's called Jesus then you're the president."
"I'd drive more people insane, but I'd have to double back and pick them up first..."
"All it takes for bullshit to thrive is for rational men to do nothing." - Kevin Farrell, B.A. Journalism.
BOTM - EBC - Horseman - G&C - Vampire
Durandal
Bile-Driven Hate Machine

Post by Durandal »

I've ranted on this topic numerous times before. Diebold is almost certainly guilty of negligence. If they're not, they should stop receiving government contracts on account of severe, almost unconscionable incompetence. Writing software to tabulate votes simply isn't that hard and doesn't require touch screens, especially the cheap, unreliable ones that a lowest-bid government contractor would use.
Damien Sorresso

"Ever see what them computa bitchez do to numbas? It ain't natural. Numbas ain't supposed to be code, they supposed to quantify shit."
- The Onion
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

yeah this has all been covered before, and the defense seems to be to accuse the otherside of doing it, when dis-enfranchisement and fraud has been conducted by one party on a massive level, and they claim persecution. It's like fundies in politics.

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Tribun
Jedi Council Member

Post by Tribun »

electoral-vote had this story as well.
They also added this interesting piece:
Fortunately, paper ballots are making a comeback. About 59% of the nation's voters will use paper ballots that will be optically scanned, comparable to college entrance tests. An additional 33% will use electronic voting machines.

In principle, there is nothing wrong with electronic voting machines provided that they use open-source code that anyone can inspect, there is a way for the voter to determine that the correct software is running on the machine, and there is a paper ballot printed out that can be deposited in the ballot box to be used for recounts if need be. Voting machines that do not have a voter verified paper audit trail need to be taken out of service immediately.

For a rundown of what equipment is used in which states see VerifiedVoting.org.
Shinova
Emperor's Hand

Post by Shinova »

Are many states using these machines? And what's the chances of the election being decided by these things?
What's her bust size!?

It's over NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAND!!!!!!!!!
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

And more people reporting in with problems.
Early-voting problems in Putnam
Touch-screen votes switched, then corrected

By Paul J. Nyden
Staff writer

WINFIELD, W.Va. - Two more Putnam County voters - Martha Louise Harrington and Michael K. Koon - have come forward about problems they experienced on early-voting electronic machines at the Winfield courthouse.

Last week, other early voters in Jackson and Putnam counties said touch-screen voting machines changed their votes after they tried to punch them in.

Harrington, a retired home health worker who lives in Hurricane, said, "I was very cautious to put my fingernail in the middle of the square. I hit it in the square to vote for Obama. Immediately, it went to McCain.

"A Putnam County poll worker, who seemed very knowledgeable, told me to hit the McCain button to erase it. Then you start over. My next vote held. I think a lot of people, especially elderly people, are not going to catch that.

"I have talked to people who said the same thing happened them when the voted for [Governor Joe] Manchin," Harrington said on Monday. "I hope this publicity makes the public more aware of what is going."

Deputy Secretary of State Sarah Bailey said 21,194 West Virginians had already cast early votes by Friday.

"Early voting becomes more popular every year," she said. "All the voting systems [in West Virginia] are manufactured by ES&S."

Election Systems and Software, a company based in Omaha, Neb., has faced problems and controversies in other states.

In California, for example, Secretary of State Debra Brown issued a legal order on Aug. 3, 2007, banning the use of ES&S machines in any future California election.

Ken Fields, an ES&S spokesman in St. Louis, did not return a telephone call to his office on Monday.

Koon said he had no problem casting an early vote for president.

"However, when I chose Jay Rockefeller - and there is at least a finger's distance between the two choices - it selected Jay Wolfe and printed his name on the receipt.

"I pushed Jay Rockefeller again a few times and it canceled Jay Wolfe. Then I chose Jay Rockefeller again and it verified it."

Koon believes voting machines at the Putnam County Courthouse need to be "calibrated."

Judy Jett, another Putnam County early voter, had a positive experience.

"I hit the review button to make sure the ones I voted for were marked. No problem, all of them were correct. I absolutely love the electronic voting machines. They are so easy," Jett stated in an e-mail to the Gazette.

Nick Casey, chairman of the West Virginia Democratic Party, said, "We have already made some outreach to county clerks and the secretary of state's office, sharing our concern there may be something wrong with the machines.

"We are not criticizing them. We are just concerned about it, especially once machines get out to the polling places.

"Touch screens in Putnam County have a certain delay. If your 'x' does not pop up, and you punch it again, it goes away. There is a delay from the time you punch it to the time when your vote is recorded," Casey said.

Bailey said, "We have outreach programs in every county. Employees go around to schools, nursing homes and other venues for voter education. These machines are nationally certified. They are tested by independent labs and certified."

Nineteen counties, including Kanawha County, use optical- scan voting machines. The others use touch-screen machines, Bailey said, except for Braxton and Wyoming counties, which still use paper ballots.

Koon also said he asked for a paper copy of his ballot to verify his votes.

Putnam County Circuit Clerk Brian Wood said, "You don't get anything in your hand saying you voted. Touch screen machines, which have a reel-to-reel paper train, are all self-contained.

"We don't print ballots out because we don't want people going down the street and have someone give them $20 or a pint of whiskey to buy votes.

"It is more of a safety feature than to keep them from having a paper ballot in their hand," Wood said on Monday. "We all want voters to confirm their votes before they cast them."
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Re: WV Voting Machines Switching Votes? (update)

Post by LadyTevar »

Link
In this second video we can see West Virginia Jackson County Clerk, Jeff Waybright demonstrate how when their electronic voting machines (ES&S iVotronic) "flip votes" even after they have been calibrated properly:
Direct Youtube Link

Yes, even 'recalibration' keeps flipping the votes.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Surlethe
HATES GRADING

Post by Surlethe »

I am not a computer scientist. I have taken precisely one course in programming in my life.

Good program:

Code: Select all

def vote([Candidate1,Candidate2]):
    candidate1tally = 0
    candidate2tally = 0
    for stillVoting == True:
        if Input == Candidate1:
            candidate1tally = candidate1tally + 1
        if Input == Candidate2:
            candidate2tally = candidate2tally + 1
        if Input == notVoting:
            stillVoting = False
    return "", Candidate1.name(), ":", candidate1tally, ";", Candidate2.name(), ":", candidate2tally
Bad program (votes for second candidate 5% of the time the first candidate is selected):

candidate1tally = 0
    candidate2tally = 0
    for stillVoting == True:
        if Input == Candidate1:
            if Numeric.random()<0.05:
            else:
                candidate1tally = candidate1tally + 1
        if Input == Candidate2:
        if Input == notVoting:
            stillVoting = False
    return "", Candidate1.name(), ":", candidate1tally, ";", Candidate2.name(), ":", candidate2tally
Worse program (always votes for Candidate 2):

candidate1tally = 0
    candidate2tally = 0
    for stillVoting == True:
        if Input == Candidate1:
        if Input == Candidate2:
        if Input == notVoting:
            stillVoting = False
This should not be difficult to avoid. In fact, it's marginally harder to write the malicious code than it is to simply write the honest code.
A Government founded upon justice, and recognizing the equal rights of all men; claiming higher authority for existence, or sanction for its laws, that nature, reason, and the regularly ascertained will of the people; steadily refusing to put its sword and purse in the service of any religious creed or family is a standing offense to most of the Governments of the world, and to some narrow and bigoted people among ourselves.
F. Douglass
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

now you know why I'm keeping with paperless voting.

Also our local postmaster added the nessesary postage to all ballots mailed in to keep people from being discounted/caged. He may be a Conservative, but he believes that everybody's vote should count (might have something to do with that time he spent overseas involuntarily)

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin