Third & Final 2008 Presidential Debate Thread

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Patrick Degan
Emperor's Hand

Re: Third & Final 2008 Presidential Debate Thread

Post by Patrick Degan »

Count Chocula wrote:Oh by the way on Roe v. Wade: McCain said, clearly, that he thinks the Supreme Court made the wrong decision because it is an issue best left to the states, not because he's anti-abortion.
Funny, that's the same argument the supporters of Jim Crow always gave for why the Feds should have kept their noses out of civil rights. Don't kid yourself into believing that this isn't about being anti-abortion.

BTW, no matter what the 10th amendment may say in support of states' rights, the rights of individual citizens trumps states' rights by way of the 14th amendment.
When ballots have fairly and constitutionally decided, there can be no successful appeal back to bullets.
—Abraham Lincoln

People pray so that God won't crush them like bugs.
—Dr. Gregory House

Oil an emergency?! It's about time, Brigadier, that the leaders of this planet of yours realised that to remain dependent upon a mineral slime simply doesn't make sense.
—The Doctor "Terror Of The Zygons" (1975)
Adrian Laguna
Sith Marauder

Post by Adrian Laguna »

Ow wow, I'm watching Fox News and it's like the twilight zone. Not only is their coverage being pretty dammed decent, ever openly criticizing McCain. For example pointing out that McCain's economic policies are, in fact, similar to Bush's.
MRDOD wrote:Mediacurves-

Republican- 18% Obama Win, 70% McCain Win, 12% Undecided Win
Democrat- 81% Obama Win, 10% McCain Win, 9% Undecided Win
Independent- 60% Obama Win, 30% McCain Win, 10% Undecided Win
About what I expected given that McCain was at his strongest.
Haruko
Jedi Master

Post by Haruko »

So once again Obama wins the majority praise for the voters he needs, while McCain only manages to excite those who were going to vote for him anyway.

Maybe when he said he's going to kick the ass of "you know who", the audience was mistaken to assume he meant his opponent.
Ohma wrote:
Haruko wrote: What? When is it asserted he was left speechless?
NBC had him as a post debate republican...guy, during his summary of the debate (which was hilarious) at one point he said that McCain seemed to be doing better to him because apparently Obama was occasionally left speechless in response to McCain, which is either him being funny, crazy, or from another dimension.
There's no way Mitt Romney was watching that debate sober.
If The Infinity Program were not a forum, it would be a pie-in-the-sky project.
Faith is both the prison and the open hand.”— Vienna Teng, "Augustine."
Adrian Laguna
Sith Marauder

Post by Adrian Laguna »

Holy mother of God, they just put Hillary Clinton on Fox News, letting her bad mouth the Republicans to her heart's content. Clearly, Murdoch knows which way the wind's blowing.
Durandal
Bile-Driven Hate Machine

Post by Durandal »

And Bill Ayers, the Republicans' October surprise and the staple of McCain's campaign, passes through the voters' minds without so much as second thought. If McCain was either (a) decent or (b) smart, he'd take these debate results to heart and quit whining about Bill Ayers and missed town hall meetings.
Damien Sorresso

"Ever see what them computa bitchez do to numbas? It ain't natural. Numbas ain't supposed to be code, they supposed to quantify shit."
- The Onion
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Post by Alyrium Denryle »

Mr. Coffee wrote:There's a long line of mcCains that served my country, and then there's me the fastest swimming sperm in the load!"
I cant resist.

It had been a long time. A long time since John Sidney McCain II had made love to his wife. He had been at see for months and could think of nothing but this moment. He was clean shaven in his uniform with his hair combed back just the way she liked it. It was a bit of a surprise for the old girl, she didnt know he was coming home. He opened the door and thought he heard something in the back bedroom

"Honey, are you home?" he asked the darkness as he turned on a light

"Oh goodness John I didnt know you were going to be home! I was just getting ready for bed"

John was a bit concerned, shouldn't she be happy to see him? He thought to himself, but he was so happy to see her come out of the bedroom in her nightgown that it didn't matter. He strode over to her and took her into his arms

"I missed you so much" he said, before kissing her deeply and leading her into the bedroom

Foreplay was minimal and as typically happens with a sexually frustrated naval officers did not last long, her orgasm was also fake.

A flood of 700 million sperm slammed into the collection point just under her cervix, most were doomed to be ejected in the backflow, but 200 million survived the purge and as her cervix expanded and curved down they were enfolded into the thick prior-orgasm hardened cervical mucous. The two hundred million were greeted by over 250 million enemy sperm. Only a tenth of whom were older, enlarged and deformed blocker sperm. Someone else had been there, someone primed to capture her cervix and lay claim to Roberta's precious soon to be ovulated oocyte. John had masturbated frequently to thoughts of his wife, and he had an even more offensive ratio, with almost no worthless blocker sperm.

The Lover's blocker sperm formed walls in the mucous channels, like the 300 at the battle of Thermopylae they held a line against darkness as their own Killer sperm surged forward to intercept John's own killing hordes, the egg-getter sperm falling back toward the uterus, the fallopian tubes, and their objective.

The onslaught was terrible. Tiny kamikaze sperm slammed into eachother and released a deadly cocktail of organic compounds that liquified their target's cell membranes. Their cries could be heard for microns. John's killer sperm came out ahead however and surged forward, slamming into the blocker sperm and ripping them apart, followed closely by a swarm of John's egg-getter sperm trying desperately to catch up and beat Roberta's lover's sperm to her fallopian tubes.

But the delay caused by the blocker sperm gave the lover's sperm a chance to regroup.

Behind the blocker sperm, lay a second division of killer sperm. They counter-attacked against John's sperm in overwhelming numbers. The killer intercepted what they could, but soon the egg-getter sperm started to take losses with no way of defending themselves. They formed a flagellar wedge and tried to push through by the force of sheer numerical superiority, but the losses were terrible.

By the time they reached the fallopian tubes, it was almost too late. There were several thousand enemy sperm approaching a freshly ovulated Ovum. Most of John's horde of surviving sperm was a hard-bitten lot. Strong, full of vigor. But surviving on sheer luck, and the noble sacrifice of others, was one. A small, weak specimen with a bent flagellum called McGimp by his ejacmates. He, with the rest of them, surged forward, him a tad behind. They slammed into the Zona Pellucida, the layer that protected the ovum, and began chemically weakening it. Just as its defenses were beginning to falter under the combined competitive might of both John's and Roberta's lover's sperm, McGimp arrived like a somewhat late and abnormally slow bat out of hell and hit the Zona with all his might, weakening it just enough to slip through, start the fast block to polyspermy and the corticol granule reaction which would harden the Zona and completely block polyspermy.

The embryo would by some miracle implant. And produce John McCain
GALE Force Biological Agent/
BOTM/Great Dolphin Conspiracy/
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences

There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

Factio republicanum delenda est
CaptJodan
Jedi Council Member

Post by CaptJodan »

Durandal wrote:And Bill Ayers, the Republicans' October surprise and the staple of McCain's campaign, passes through the voters' minds without so much as second thought. If McCain was either (a) decent or (b) smart, he'd take these debate results to heart and quit whining about Bill Ayers and missed town hall meetings.
The town hall meetings thing really got me as feeling like he was just some whiny 2 year old pissed that his friend didn't play in his sandbox. There was no substance there. As for Ayers, McCain continued tonight to tell us that we should demand the truth about Ayers, something which Obama went through, and McCain didn't refute. He didn't tell us just what the fuck we should be thinking or worrying about with Ayers. And if you can't tell us what you think I should be worried about, then why the fuck should I care?

I realize this is asking too much of McShame, but I'm trying to see this through a...I don't know...logical frame of reference.
It's Jodan, not Jordan. If you can't quote it right, I will mock you.
Aratech
Jedi Knight

Post by Aratech »

Adrian Laguna wrote:Ow wow, I'm watching Fox News and it's like the twilight zone. Not only is their coverage being pretty dammed decent, ever openly criticizing McCain. For example pointing out that McCain's economic policies are, in fact, similar to Bush's.
:wtf: :shock:

*heads to window, and watches as War, Death, Conquest and Famine rush by*

That about sums up my opinion of Fox apparently trying to actually be fair and balanced for a change.
MRDOD wrote:Mediacurves-

Republican- 18% Obama Win, 70% McCain Win, 12% Undecided Win
Democrat- 81% Obama Win, 10% McCain Win, 9% Undecided Win
Independent- 60% Obama Win, 30% McCain Win, 10% Undecided Win

IIRC, that's another rather large nail in McCain's coffin. He needed to bring the independent to his side more than ever, and going by this, he failed rather spectacularly.
"Impossible! Lasers can't even harm out deflector dish! Clearly these foes are masters of illusion!' 'But sir, my console says we-' 'MASTERS OF ILLUSION! - General Schatten
Lord Poe
Sith Apprentice

Post by Lord Poe »

Finally, a very satisfying debate. It was amusing to see Obama answer the question posed and furthering his campaign points, while McCain, seeking that "game changer", used every question as a launching point to attack Obama's campaign.
Count Chocula wrote:Obama is without a doubt more eloquent and a superior speaker, but IMO McCain gave more specific answers than Obama.
:wtf: Were you watching the same debate I was? McCain went out of his way to avoid most of the questions directly, in order to shoot a jab at Obama.

"Brian, if I parked a supertanker in Central Park, painted it neon orange, and set it on fire, it would be less obvious than your stupidity." --RedImperator
rhoenix
Jedi Council Member

Post by rhoenix »

Alyrium Denryle wrote:I cant resist. <snip story>
So...even his father's sperm needed a surge to work? Damn, that's sad.
ArcturusMengsk
Padawan Learner

Post by ArcturusMengsk »

Adrian Laguna wrote:Ow wow, I'm watching Fox News and it's like the twilight zone. Not only is their coverage being pretty dammed decent, ever openly criticizing McCain. For example pointing out that McCain's economic policies are, in fact, similar to Bush's.
Political trick. Recall that Obama openly called out Fox News in tonight's debate; they want to be able to say, "See? We gave him a fair shake after all."

At any rate, Obama did fine. Someone on DKos said that the BBC called it for Obama as well, but I'm too lazy to be arsed to look it up.
Diocletian had the right idea.
Ender
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ender »

Alyrium Denryle wrote:
CaptJodan wrote:Yeah, no tests for the military officers if they want to teach. Why should we hold them to the same standard?

That struck me as insane.
All the more so because you can currently receive study materials and review course work and take the tests to be certified free of charge while on active duty. You can also make use of your tuition assistance program to cover the costs if you need to take additional courses for subject specialization.
بيرني كان سيفوز
Nuclear Navy Warwolf
in omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro
ipsa scientia potestas est
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Post by Alyrium Denryle »

rhoenix wrote:
Alyrium Denryle wrote:I cant resist. <snip story>
So...even his father's sperm needed a surge to work? Damn, that's sad.
They needed a surge to work, and even the sperm that became him needed cronyism to fail upward
GALE Force Biological Agent/
BOTM/Great Dolphin Conspiracy/
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences

There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

Factio republicanum delenda est
Ender
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ender »

I really enjoyed McCain's performance in the debate tonight. He came out swinging and was very aggressive. It reminded me of several debates I've seen here. Note however that being entertaining is wholly different from being good. His aggression in the face of Obama's calm responses, particularly on things like Ayers and Columbia, made him appear to just be swinging wildly and grasping at straws. I've already decided on supporting Obama and thus have some bias in my predictions, but I suspect that overall the end evaluation of this debate will show independents disliking McCain.
بيرني كان سيفوز
Nuclear Navy Warwolf
Qwerty 42
Jedi Council Member

Post by Qwerty 42 »

The debate in my neck of the woods got lost to the NLCS, but I was very happy with Obama's performance. He was very certain to make sure he answered any questions about Ayers.
Image Your head is humming and it won't go, in case you don't know, the piper's calling you to join him
ArcturusMengsk
Padawan Learner

Post by ArcturusMengsk »

It was a rout.
More uncommitted voters trusted Obama than McCain to make the right decisions about health care. Before the debate, 61 percent of uncommitted voters said that they trust Obama on that; after, 69 percent said that . For McCain, 27 percent trusted him to manage health care before the debate; 30 percent said so afterwards.

63 percent think Obama will raise their taxes, while 48 percent think McCain will.
SurveyUSA independent poll
Obama 55%
McCain 29%
Mediacurves

Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

ArcturusMengsk wrote:It was a rout.
More uncommitted voters trusted Obama than McCain to make the right decisions about health care. Before the debate, 61 percent of uncommitted voters said that they trust Obama on that; after, 69 percent said that . For McCain, 27 percent trusted him to manage health care before the debate; 30 percent said so afterwards.

63 percent think Obama will raise their taxes, while 48 percent think McCain will.
SurveyUSA independent poll
Obama 55%
McCain 29%
Mediacurves

I think it's telling in the number of Republicans that were undecided as to who won the debate compared to Democrats. The McCain campaign should be shitting themselves over that poll more than the independent one.
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
ArcturusMengsk
Padawan Learner

Post by ArcturusMengsk »

Flagg wrote:I think it's telling in the number of Republicans that were undecided as to who won the debate compared to Democrats. The McCain campaign should be shitting themselves over that poll more than the independent one.
Even Faux News' focus group went Obama. That ought to be telling them something.
Ender
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ender »

ArcturusMengsk wrote:*snip*
True, but I'll give it to McCain for having the better necktie.

link

This is the Joe the Plumber video McCain was harping about. And frankly, I don't think it reflects that poorly upon Obama. When confronted with a question from a concerned citizen, Obama takes about 6 minutes to address his concerns, explaining his proposed tax plan in great detail. He was able to cite the different tax numbers and tax brackets there on the spot and explain to Joe then and there in specific detail how the plan would affect Joe's business and Joe's personal income.

I honestly don't know what McCain was going for here - bringing this up was going to send people looking for the video, and frankly all it does is make Obama look intelligent, well informed, articulate, and concerned about individual citizens. I guess he's hoping people will click the Fox News clip where they kill the dialog between Obama and Joe and instead have a couple of talking heads and call ins drone over it instead.
بيرني كان سيفوز
Nuclear Navy Warwolf
Darth Wong
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Post by Darth Wong »

Lord Poe wrote:Finally, a very satisfying debate. It was amusing to see Obama answer the question posed and furthering his campaign points, while McCain, seeking that "game changer", used every question as a launching point to attack Obama's campaign.
Count Chocula wrote:Obama is without a doubt more eloquent and a superior speaker, but IMO McCain gave more specific answers than Obama.
:wtf: Were you watching the same debate I was? McCain went out of his way to avoid most of the questions directly, in order to shoot a jab at Obama.
Perhaps he means that McCain was being quite specific about his attacks on Obama. Too bad nobody but hard-line right-wingers care about that bullshit.
"It's not evil for God to do it. Or for someone to do it at God's command."- Jonathan Boyd on baby-killing

"you guys are fascinated with the use of those "rules of logic" to the extent that you don't really want to discussus anything."- GC

"I do not believe Russian Roulette is a stupid act" - Embracer of Darkness

"Viagra commercials appear to save lives" - tharkûn on US health care.

http://www.stardestroyer.net/Mike/RantMode/Blurbs.html
Patrick Degan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Patrick Degan »

No no no, my dear count. Here, the only observations that count are those taken in the real universe and not from parallel Bizarro-world.
When ballots have fairly and constitutionally decided, there can be no successful appeal back to bullets.
—Abraham Lincoln

People pray so that God won't crush them like bugs.
—Dr. Gregory House

Oil an emergency?! It's about time, Brigadier, that the leaders of this planet of yours realised that to remain dependent upon a mineral slime simply doesn't make sense.
—The Doctor "Terror Of The Zygons" (1975)
ArcturusMengsk
Padawan Learner

Post by ArcturusMengsk »

Darth Wong wrote:Perhaps he means that McCain was being quite specific about his attacks on Obama. Too bad nobody but hard-line right-wingers care about that bullshit.
Indeed they do not.
Obama's connection to William Ayers matters to you...

Great Deal 23
Somewhat 14
Not Much 11
Not At All 51
Yeah, it's a link to Kos, but I have no reason to believe they falsified the information.
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

Not sure if this belongs here, But I found the following on, of all places, the comments at FOXNEWS on the last debate... Finding the following wonderful gem made up for the several dozen IQ points I lost reading the other comments at the site, please enjoy:
oe gets up at 6 a.m. and fills his coffeepot with water to prepare his morning coffee. The water is clean and good because some tree-hugging liberal fought for minimum water-quality standards. With his first swallow of water, he takes his daily medication. His medications are safe to take because some stupid commie liberal fought to ensure their safety and that they work as advertised.

All but $10 of his medications are paid for by his employer’s medical plan because some liberal union workers fought their employers for paid medical insurance - now Joe gets it too.

He prepares his morning breakfast, bacon and eggs. Joe’s bacon is safe to eat because some girly-man liberal fought for laws to regulate the meat packing industry.

In the morning shower, Joe reaches for his shampoo. His bottle is properly labeled with each ingredient and its amount in the total contents because some crybaby liberal fought for his right to know what he was putting on his body and how much it contained.

Joe dresses, walks outside and takes a deep breath. The air he breathes is clean because some environmentalist wacko liberal fought for the laws to stop industries from polluting our air.

He walks on the government-provided sidewalk to subway station for his government-subsidized ride to work. It saves him considerable money in parking and transportation fees because some fancy-pants liberal fought for affordable public transportation, which gives everyone the opportunity to be a contributor.

Joe begins his work day. He has a good job with excellent pay, medical benefits, retirement, paid holidays and vacation because some lazy liberal union members fought and died for these working standards. Joe’s employer pays these standards because Joe’s employer doesn’t want his employees to call the union.

If Joe is hurt on the job or becomes unemployed, he’ll get a worker compensation or unemployment check because some stupid liberal didn’t think he should lose his home because of his temporary misfortune.

It is noontime and Joe needs to make a bank deposit so he can pay some bills. Joe’s deposit is federally insured by the FSLIC because some godless liberal wanted to protect Joe’s money from unscrupulous bankers who ruined the banking system before the Great Depression.

Joe has to pay his Fannie Mae-underwritten mortgage and his below-market federal student loan because some elitist liberal decided that Joe and the government would be better off if he was educated and earned more money over his lifetime. Joe also forgets that his in addition to his federally subsidized student loans, he attended a state funded university.

Joe is home from work. He plans to visit his father this evening at his farm home in the country. He gets in his car for the drive. His car is among the safest in the world because some America-hating liberal fought for car safety standards to go along with the tax-payer funded roads.

He arrives at his boyhood home. His was the third generation to live in the house financed by Farmers’ Home Administration because bankers didn’t want to make rural loans.

The house didn’t have electricity until some big-government liberal stuck his nose where it didn’t belong and demanded rural electrification.

He is happy to see his father, who is now retired. His father lives on Social Security and a union pension because some wine-drinking, cheese-eating liberal made sure he could take care of himself so Joe wouldn’t have to.

Joe gets back in his car for the ride home, and turns on a radio talk show. The radio host keeps saying that liberals are bad and conservatives are good. He doesn’t mention that the beloved Republicans have fought against every protection and benefit Joe enjoys throughout his day. Joe agrees: “We don’t need those big-government liberals ruining our lives! After all, I’m a self-made man who believes everyone should take care of themselves, just like I have.”
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

Just noticed one thing, I am dissapointed when Obama didn't mention nuclear as an energy source, yet at the same time, talk about BIO-FUEL?
Humans are such funny creatures. We are selfish about selflessness, yet we can love something so much that we can hate something.
Durandal
Bile-Driven Hate Machine

Post by Durandal »

ray245 wrote:Just noticed one thing, I am dissapointed when Obama didn't mention nuclear as an energy source, yet at the same time, talk about BIO-FUEL?
Agreed. That's the only thing I agreed with McCain about. This nonsense about nuclear power not being "safe" is horse shit. McCain said we've got sailors living next to nuclear reactors on submarines for months at a time, and they don't come out with a third eye, and he was absolutely right. We do have to start building more nuclear power plants, and we need to start now.
Damien Sorresso

"Ever see what them computa bitchez do to numbas? It ain't natural. Numbas ain't supposed to be code, they supposed to quantify shit."
- The Onion