"Meanest mom on the planet" sells teen's car - LOL

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Darth Lucifer
Jedi Council Member

"Meanest mom on the planet" sells teen's car - LOL

Post by Darth Lucifer »

LOLZ!!!!
DES MOINES, Iowa -
Jane Hambleton has dubbed herself the "meanest mom on the planet."

After finding alcohol in her son's car, she decided to sell the car and share her 19-year-old's misdeed with everyone _ by placing an ad in the local newspaper.

The ad reads: "OLDS 1999 Intrigue. Totally uncool parents who obviously don't love teenage son, selling his car. Only driven for three weeks before snoopy mom who needs to get a life found booze under front seat. $3,700/offer. Call meanest mom on the planet."

Hambleton has heard from people besides interested buyers since recently placing the ad in The Des Moines Register.

The 48-year-old from Fort Dodge says she has fielded more than 70 telephone calls from emergency room technicians, nurses, school counselors and even a Georgia man who wanted to congratulate her.

"The ad cost a fortune, but you know what? I'm telling people what happened here," Hambleton says. "I'm not just gonna put the car for resale when there's nothing wrong with it, except the driver made a dumb decision.

"It's overwhelming the number of calls I've gotten from people saying 'Thank you, it's nice to see a responsible parent.' So far there are no calls from anyone saying, 'You're really strict. You're real overboard, lady.'"

The only critic is her son, who Hambleton says is "very, very unhappy" with the ad and claims the alcohol was left by a passenger.

Hambleton believes her son but has decided mercy isn't the best policy in this case. She says she set two rules when she bought the car at Thanksgiving: No booze, and always keep it locked.

The car has been sold, but Hambleton says she will continue the ad for another week _ just for the feedback.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Stories like this make me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. We need more parents like Jane Hambleton.
alexholker
Youngling

Post by alexholker »

Assuming that it was still her car, she has every legal right to do so, but she seems rather petty if she'd remove her permission for him to use her car and publicly embarrass him, just because someone else had an unopened bottle of alcohol in the vehicle. I know that I wouldn't have expected a "no booze" rule to be so strict.
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

I have a feeling that the 'meanest mom' and 'snoopy mom who needs to get a life' might have been snippets of the son's reasoned counter-argument, and the reason why this went to publich shaming instead of simple punishment.

Translation: Don't mouth off AFTER you fuck up.
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

alexholker wrote:Assuming that it was still her car, she has every legal right to do so, but she seems rather petty
article wrote:She says she set two rules when she bought the car
The article should say whiny teen bitches when mom sells her car.
if she'd remove her permission for him to use her car and publicly embarrass him, just because someone else had an unopened bottle of alcohol in the vehicle. I know that I wouldn't have expected a "no booze" rule to be so strict.
Why? You expect a reasonable parent to let a kid keep a car when either he/she lies about drinking in it or does not moderate what comes into his/her car? This just stinks of teenage self-entitlement to me. He didn't own the car, didn't pay for it, and didn't follow the rules set forth for him to use the car.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
alexholker
Youngling

Post by alexholker »

Knife wrote:Why? You expect a reasonable parent to let a kid keep a car when either he/she lies about drinking in it or does not moderate what comes into his/her car? This just stinks of teenage self-entitlement to me. He didn't own the car, didn't pay for it, and didn't follow the rules set forth for him to use the car.
My point is that her rule was poorly defined and went beyond what was neccessary to protect the car or her kid. Hence, as I said, if I had been in her son's place, I would not have assumed that the presence of an unopened bottle of alcohol would have broken her rules.
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

alexholker wrote: My point is that her rule was poorly defined and went beyond what was neccessary to protect the car or her kid. Hence, as I said, if I had been in her son's place, I would not have assumed that the presence of an unopened bottle of alcohol would have broken her rules.
How the Hell can you find "No Booze" "poorly defined"?

And went beyond? I know you're in Australia and you may have a...different view on drinking and driving, but here in the States half the traffic deaths are directly caused by alcohol-related accidents. And since she is apparently the owner, she would have been legally responsive when the punk got in trouble drinking and driving. It is well within the scope of a reasonable rule.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
Soontir C'boath
SG-14: Fuck the Medic!
Location: Queens, NYC I DON'T FUCKING CARE IF MANHATTEN IS CONSIDERED NYC!! I'M IN IT ASSHOLE!!!

Post by Soontir C'boath »

alexholker wrote:
Knife wrote:Why? You expect a reasonable parent to let a kid keep a car when either he/she lies about drinking in it or does not moderate what comes into his/her car? This just stinks of teenage self-entitlement to me. He didn't own the car, didn't pay for it, and didn't follow the rules set forth for him to use the car.
My point is that her rule was poorly defined and went beyond what was necessary to protect the car or her kid. Hence, as I said, if I had been in her son's place, I would not have assumed that the presence of an unopened bottle of alcohol would have broken her rules.
Would you leave an open can or bottle of alcohol in a car hiding under the seat of a car? You sure as hell can't hide a bottle under there open because you'd have to put it down sideways and it'd fucking spill out. Most likely same for a can. There isn't a whole lot of fucking room down there.

Don't be an idiot.
I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who constantly says: "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action"; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a "more convenient season."
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

alexholker wrote: My point is that her rule was poorly defined and went beyond what was neccessary to protect the car or her kid. Hence, as I said, if I had been in her son's place, I would not have assumed that the presence of an unopened bottle of alcohol would have broken her rules.
If nobody else but him drove the car where the fuck else did the booze come from? The fact that he's not old enough to buy it himself is a pretty huge mark against him either way. I'd love to hear any legitimate explanation for it being there that doesn't involve a lot of handwringing.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Terralthra
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Terralthra »

Does it say anywhere in the article that the bottle of alcohol was unopened?
Aaron
Blackpowder Man

Post by Aaron »

Terralthra wrote:Does it say anywhere in the article that the bottle of alcohol was unopened?
It doesn't say either way. But what does it matter? She said no alcohol, probably because she knows that teens with booze in a car will lead to a fucking disaster.
M1891/30: A bad day on the range is better then a good day at work.
Soontir C'boath
SG-14: Fuck the Medic!
Location: Queens, NYC I DON'T FUCKING CARE IF MANHATTEN IS CONSIDERED NYC!! I'M IN IT ASSHOLE!!!

Post by Soontir C'boath »

Ghetto edit: Yay, for my brain working slowly again.

It shouldn't matter if there were empty (=opened) or full bottles of beer. It's still a matter-of-fact presence of alcohol.
I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who constantly says: "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action"; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a "more convenient season."
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

I don't kow if the laws vary state-to-state, but in California any container of alcohol, opened or unopened, that isn't locked in the trunk can result in severe fines and penalties for the driver of the car AND the owner.

Booze in teen driver's car = illegal.
ImageImage
Terralthra
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Terralthra »

Cpl Kendall wrote:
Terralthra wrote:Does it say anywhere in the article that the bottle of alcohol was unopened?
It doesn't say either way. But what does it matter? She said no alcohol, probably because she knows that teens with booze in a car will lead to a fucking disaster.
I actually agree with that, I was questioning because the earlier poster saying:
Assuming that it was still her car, she has every legal right to do so, but she seems rather petty if she'd remove her permission for him to use her car and publicly embarrass him, just because someone else had an unopened bottle of alcohol in the vehicle. I know that I wouldn't have expected a "no booze" rule to be so strict.
I mean, there's no evidence it was unopened at all.
Aaron
Blackpowder Man

Post by Aaron »

Terralthra wrote:
I mean, there's no evidence it was unopened at all.
True. I'd like to hear his reasoning for coming up with that.
M1891/30: A bad day on the range is better then a good day at work.
Chardok
GET THE FUCK OFF MY OBSTACLE!

Post by Chardok »

alexholker wrote:My point is that her rule was poorly defined and went beyond what was neccessary to protect the car or her kid. Hence, as I said, if I had been in her son's place, I would not have assumed that the presence of an unopened bottle of alcohol would have broken her rules.
Eff you, asshead. a 16 year old has no business associating with underage or even OF age drinkers in the first place. and Oh-By-The-Way, when I was 16, i'd have said the shit belonged to someone else, too.

Fuck this kid, Fuck that car, goodbye. No booze means no booze period. My mom told me when she handed me the keys to my 1976 hand-me-down Pontiac, "drive like Jesus Christ is in the seat next to you." guess what? I knew that meant "Don't have booze in the car, keep it locked, buckle your seat belt, obey the speed limit" on pain of having to walk.
FSTargetDrone
Emperor's Hand

Post by FSTargetDrone »

Good for her and tough cookies for him.

Much too often, parents might let it slide. But she warned him, he fucked up and now he pays the price. Next time he might be more responsible, whether the alcohol belonged to him or someone else who left it in the car. The lesson is clear: No drinking until you are legal. Don't like it? Fine, don't like it, but you can wait a few years.
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

You ALWAYS respect the rules. I had a few, but they were clear:

Drive safe, be home on time or call us if you can't, no friends over after midnight, no women behind closed doors.

I bet he gets another chance in a year, but it'll be out of his mother's grace, not anything he deserves.
ImageImage
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

If my parents found a bottle of booze in the car when I was a teen, not only would I be out a car, I'd very likely be out of a place to live. Kid got off light if you ask me.
aerius: I'll vote for you if you sleep with me. :)
Lusankya: Deal!
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Chardok wrote: Eff you, asshead. a 16 year old has no business associating with underage or even OF age drinkers in the first place. and Oh-By-The-Way, when I was 16, i'd have said the shit belonged to someone else, too.

Fuck this kid, Fuck that car, goodbye. No booze means no booze period. My mom told me when she handed me the keys to my 1976 hand-me-down Pontiac, "drive like Jesus Christ is in the seat next to you." guess what? I knew that meant "Don't have booze in the car, keep it locked, buckle your seat belt, obey the speed limit" on pain of having to walk.
Chardok to be fair the article in the OP has the kids age at 19, not 16. But your point is still valid, because the mother was apparently still the legal owner of the car.

Alexholker I don't know if this was part of your thought process or not, or if you are aware but in the U.S. (unlike Australia) age 19 is still too young to buy alcohol here. So regardless the parents rules this is pretty light considering what would have happen if the police got hold of him, especially since its a cheap car to begin with.
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."
-George Carlin (1937-2008)

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

Awesome parenting. And that's not being sarcastic.
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
brianeyci
Emperor's Hand

Post by brianeyci »

CaptainChewbacca wrote:I have a feeling that the 'meanest mom' and 'snoopy mom who needs to get a life' might have been snippets of the son's reasoned counter-argument, and the reason why this went to publich shaming instead of simple punishment.

Translation: Don't mouth off AFTER you fuck up.
Oh man I can imagine it going like this.

Mom: "What are you doing with booze in your car? I fucking told you no booze."

Kid: "What the fuck are you snooping in my car for?"

Mom: "Answer the question."

Kid: "Get a life."

Mom: "Who put you up to this? Shawn?"

Kid: "At least his parents aren't mean. They love him."

Hmmmm.....

:lol:.
Teebs
Jedi Master

Post by Teebs »

At first after reading this I thought, "the kid's 19, who cares if he has alcohol the mum sounds like a complete nutter." Then I put two and two together booze + car = completely justified. It's hard to believe any parent would be stupid enough not to do something drastic about drinking and driving from their kids.
Terralthra
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Terralthra »

CaptainChewbacca wrote:Drive safe, be home on time or call us if you can't, no friends over after midnight, no women behind closed doors.
Not to digress too much, but my fiancée's family had the same rule regarding the opposite sex behind closed doors. Most of them got the point; her younger sister (while in high school), on the other hand, decided that the best way to not break the rule was to give a guy a blowjob with the door open. Of course, she was caught in the act.
Darth Servo
Emperor's Hand

Post by Darth Servo »

Teebs wrote:At first after reading this I thought, "the kid's 19, who cares if he has alcohol the mum sounds like a complete nutter." Then I put two and two together booze + car = completely justified. It's hard to believe any parent would be stupid enough not to do something drastic about drinking and driving from their kids.
Even without the drinking and driving point, 19 is still too young to legally drink.
"everytime a person is born the Earth weighs just a little more."--DMJ on StarTrek.com
"You see now you are using your thinking and that is not a good thing!" DMJay on StarTrek.com

"Watching Sarli argue with Vympel, Stas, Schatten and the others is as bizarre as the idea of the 40-year-old Virgin telling Hugh Hefner that Hef knows nothing about pussy, and that he is the expert."--Elfdart
Darth Servo
Emperor's Hand

Post by Darth Servo »

edit: I want the phone number.
"everytime a person is born the Earth weighs just a little more."--DMJ on StarTrek.com
"You see now you are using your thinking and that is not a good thing!" DMJay on StarTrek.com

"Watching Sarli argue with Vympel, Stas, Schatten and the others is as bizarre as the idea of the 40-year-old Virgin telling Hugh Hefner that Hef knows nothing about pussy, and that he is the expert."--Elfdart