Toxic Alberta: an American documentary on Alberta oilsands

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

TithonusSyndrome
Sith Devotee

Toxic Alberta: an American documentary on Alberta oilsands

Post by TithonusSyndrome »

Ah, Fort McMurray, my hated hometown, how much you've grown. Once a fur trading post in the 18th century, now the epicenter of a frantic rush to soak up the rest of the hydrocarbon pie, damn the consequences.

Part 1: Welcome to Alberta, Canada
Part 2: Spinning Oil from Sand
Part 3: The Boreal Forest
Part 4: Meet Lumberjack slasher JC
Part 5: The Politics of Alberta Oil
Part 6: Welcome to the Borealis Work Camp

I always said I wanted that town to get swallowed up by the earth. At this rate, I may get my wish.
White Cat
Padawan Learner

Post by White Cat »

Ft. McMurray is responsible for two-thirds of Canada's global greenhouse gas emissions
Are these guys incompetent, or outright lying? According to this site, the entirety of Canada's fossil fuel industry makes up less than 10% of the total.
(on oil supplies) We're good for fifty years, America, and then you're fucked.
Hey, I thought the Peak Oil folks were saying we've only got 5-10 years left. w00t! :wink:
LISTEN TO MY LOUSY ANIME SONG
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Post by Admiral Valdemar »

Canadia has loads of oil in gooey sands. It's just you won't be getting it out the ground too quickly. The American Army will help you though, when they move in to lay claim to it.
SirNitram
Rest in Peace, Black Mage

Post by SirNitram »

Oil sand, oil shale, and the like will be little more than a stopgap that won't improve the prices of petroleum. They will make a delaying action of the worldwide economic meltdown, which is of course good, if people actually use it. But we'll have to see on that, won't we? It'd require alot of foresight, or SDN finding venture capitalists who can be swayed by big words like 'Oceanic thermal transfer', 'Fast breeder reactors', and of course, 'Give us more money.'.
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Debator Classification: Trollhunter
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Post by Admiral Valdemar »

Shell just sold off their plans for doing anything with this stuff because costs are spiralling out of control. If Shell is out of the game, you can bet the smaller independents are going to do very little.

Also, nuclear in the UK may be a bitch, what with the gov't not subsidising it and so relying on the private firms coughing up the investment money. Good luck with that.