Bill O'Reilly: Abducted Child Liked His Circumstances

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Bill O'Reilly: Abducted Child Liked His Circumstances

Post by Flagg »

Link With Video
O'Reilly: Abducted child "liked ... his circumstances," had "a lot more fun" than usual
On the January 15 edition of Fox News' The O'Reilly Factor, host Bill O'Reilly said of Shawn Hornbeck -- who was abducted at the age of 11, held for four years, and recently found in Missouri -- that "there was an element here that this kid liked about this circumstances" and that he "do[esn't] buy" "the Stockholm syndrome thing." O'Reilly also said: "The situation here for this kid looks to me to be a lot more fun than what he had under his old parents. He didn't have to go to school. He could run around and do whatever he wanted." When fellow Fox News host Greta Van Susteren pointed out that "ome kids like school," O'Reilly replied: "Well, I don't believe this kid did."

The following day, during his "Talking Points Memo" segment, O'Reilly responded to viewer mail criticizing his comments about Hornbeck. O'Reilly concluded: "I hope he did not make a conscious decision to accept his captivity because" his kidnapper "made things easy for him. No school, play all day long."

O'Reilly frequently casts himself as a champion of children. He has also suggested that he is "looking out for the kids" and attacked "the print press" for not "car[ing] about the children."

From the January 16 edition of Fox News' The O'Reilly Factor:

O'REILLY: The kidnapping of those two boys should be front-page news in your house if you have kids. I actually hope I'm wrong about Shawn Hornbeck. I hope he did not make a conscious decision to accept his captivity because Devlin made things easy for him. No school, play all day long.

But to just chalk this up to brainwashing and walk away is turning away from the true danger of child molesters and abductors. All American children must be taught survival skills, must be prepared to face crisis situations. That is the lesson of the Shawn Hornbeck story. And that's the "Memo."

From the January 15 edition of Fox News' The O'Reilly Factor:

O'REILLY: "Impact" segment tonight, the disturbing case of the two kidnapped boys in Missouri. As you know, police found 15-year-old Shawn Hornbeck in an apartment of 41-year-old Michael Devlin last week, along with 13-year-old Ben Ownby. Both boys allegedly had been kidnapped by Devlin, who ran a pizza place in the town of Kirkwood. Shawn had been missing for four years.

And the question is, why didn't he escape when he could have? There are all kinds of theories about that. Joining us now from Washington, Greta Van Susteren, who has been out to Missouri reporting on the case.

All right, you know, the Stockholm syndrome thing, I don't buy it. I've never bought it. I didn't think it happened in the Patty Hearst case. I don't think it happened here.

[...]

O'REILLY: I'm not buying this. If you're 11 years old or 12 years old, 13, and you have a strong bond with your family, OK, even if the guy threatens you, this and that, you're riding your bike around, you got friends. The kid didn't go to school. There's all kinds of stuff. If you can get away, you get away. All right? If you're 11.

[...]

O'REILLY: This is what I believe happened in the Hearst case and in this case. The situation that Hearst found herself in was exciting. She had a boring life. She was a child of privilege. All of a sudden, she's in with a bunch of charismatic thugs, and she enjoyed it. The situation here for this kid looks to me to be a lot more fun than what he had under his old parents. He didn't have to go to school. He could run around and do whatever he wanted.

VAN SUSTEREN: Some kids like school.

O'REILLY: What?

VAN SUSTEREN: Some kids like school.

O'REILLY: Well, I don't believe this kid did. And I think when it all comes down, what's going to happen is, there was an element here that this kid liked about his circumstances.

[...]

VAN SUSTEREN: So you're playing that same sort of thinking to this 11-year-old to 15-year-old. You're thinking logically. You think to yourself, "Why didn't he leave?" That's what most people think. Frankly, I had that thought as well.

But I think you've got to remember that this is a child. He doesn't -- you know, for whatever reason, he may have, you know, wanted to be with his kidnapper. Maybe his kidnapper turned out to be, quote, "a nice guy" or whatever. But this is a kid, Bill. And I think we've got to wait till we get all the facts.

O'REILLY: All right.

VAN SUSTEREN: It may turn out -- you may turn out to be right. I don't know.

O'REILLY: I usually do. I usually -- that usually is what happens.

VAN SUSTEREN: Especially when you're the jury.

O'REILLY: If I'm wrong, Greta, I'll -- you know, we'll play this tape and you'll get your points.

VAN SUSTEREN: At this point, I simply don't know. But I'll wait for the facts.

O'REILLY: All right. Greta will have more, On the Record, 10 Eastern. Thanks, Greta, as always.

—B.A.

This is absolutely sickening. How this man still has a job after this is a testament to how morally corrupt Fox News is, beyond being the propaganda wing of the Republican party, that is.
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Fixed title- that &quo bug is annoyin.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

Vympel wrote:Fixed title- that &quo bug is annoyin.
Thanks, sorry about that.
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!

Post by Flagg »

Interestingly, I think this may give us a peek into the sewage that is Bildos mind. As someone who had to have hated school (with all those facts contradicting him) it's no surprise that he thinks that being abducted, followed by years of molestation and terror are trade offs that a kid would make in order to get out of going to school. I'm sure he would have loved to have had that option when he was a kid. Assuming his father didn't bugger the shit out of him regularly anyway, that is.
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

O'Reilly? The guy who harassed a woman on the phone with idiotic sex fetishes of his while jerking off at the same time? Wasn't it clear already that he's a douche?
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali
FSTargetDrone
Emperor's Hand

Post by FSTargetDrone »

Some people here seem to find fault with the kid's actions as well.
Gil Hamilton
Tipsy Space Birdie

Post by Gil Hamilton »

I think there is a rather large movement with some flavors of conservative to disregard mental disorders as phony and to blame the victim. This is because they've invested alot in the idea when passing laws or in general of the tough "If something bad happens to you or you fail, it's your fault. You should have tried harder." Mental disorders, like clinical depression, ADHD, or in this case, Stockholm Syndrome, provide a major glitch in this thinking if true, since it is very hard to lump all responsibility on the individual if they are legitimately sick or troubled.

In this case, what Bill O'Reilly is doing, aside from being a huge prick, is claiming that Stockholm Syndrome isn't real, because if you accept it, his macho idea that family units can't be severed and any good American boy would immediately try to escape would have a major flaw. So instead he is saying that the kid must not be a good American boy and must have liked being captured.

Moreover, he's trying to disregard it here to be consistant, so he can disregard it when it happens to adults, so he can blame the victims there. We all remember Patty Hearst and the Symbionese Liberation Army, and how due to being kidnapped and indoctrinated by the SLA, she ended up robbing a bank. If you accept Stockholm syndrome to be true and a possible condition, it's alot harder to demonize these people and say they did what they did because they were bad people, instead of people not in control of their actions.
"Show me an angel and I will paint you one." - Gustav Courbet

"Quetzalcoatl, plumed serpent of the Aztecs... you are a pussy." - Stephen Colbert

"Really, I'm jealous of how much smarter than me he is. I'm not an expert on anything and he's an expert on things he knows nothing about." - Me, concerning a bullshitter
FSTargetDrone
Emperor's Hand

Post by FSTargetDrone »

My favorite quote from O'Shitty:
All right, you know, the Stockholm syndrome thing, I don't buy it. I've never bought it. I didn't think it happened in the Patty Hearst case. I don't think it happened here.
This of course comes from exhaustive study of psychological issues that abductees experience at the hands of their captors.
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Post by Admiral Valdemar »

FSTargetDrone wrote:My favorite quote from O'Shitty:
This of course comes from exhaustive study of psychological issues that abductees experience at the hands of their captors.
Talking head's opinion > scientific fact.
Pablo Sanchez
Commissar

Post by Pablo Sanchez »

Compare:
"I don't like books. They're all fact, no heart. Real information comes from the gut."

to
"All right, you know, the Stockholm syndrome thing, I don't buy it. I've never bought it. I didn't think it happened in the Patty Hearst case. I don't think it happened here."

Life imitates art.
"I am gravely disappointed. Again you have made me unleash my dogs of war."
--The Lord Humungus
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!

Post by Flagg »

FSTargetDrone wrote:Some people here seem to find fault with the kid's actions as well.
Don't you just love that? Apparently being kidnapped and held against your will by someone who almost certainly sexually abuses you on a regular basis is a great thing if you hate school and like playing videogames.
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
FSTargetDrone
Emperor's Hand

Post by FSTargetDrone »

Flagg wrote:
FSTargetDrone wrote:Some people here seem to find fault with the kid's actions as well.
Don't you just love that? Apparently being kidnapped and held against your will by someone who almost certainly sexually abuses you on a regular basis is a great thing if you hate school and like playing videogames.
Regarding O'Reilly, nothing insensitive and uninformed that he spews on about surprises me anymore. Let's not forget he has his own "alleged" problems with sexual harassment... One would think he'd want to steer clear of stories that might remind people of his own ("alleged") unsavory actions.
Jason von Evil
Sol Badguy

Post by Jason von Evil »

And Orally is going to be keystone speaker at a charity dinner for...The Center for Missing and Exploited Children! Even after this. :roll:
"It was the hooker rationing that finally drove people over the edge." - Mike on coup in Thailand.
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!

Post by Flagg »

Jason von Evil wrote:And Orally is going to be keystone speaker at a charity dinner for...The Center for Missing and Exploited Children! Even after this. :roll:
Yeah, that's pretty fucking disgusting. I'm usually the first one to roll my eyes at internet petitions or letter writing campaigns, but I'd gladly participate in one that gets that revolting bucket of cuntbrine disinvited to that dinner and hopefully made persona non grata to the CMEC.

They may very well not be taking any action due to the very real possibility of him launching a crusade against their organization similar to some of his past bullshit with NBC and the Red Cross, as well as not wanting to anger anyone who has the ability to get stories about missing children out to a wide audience.
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!

Post by Flagg »

FSTargetDrone wrote:
Flagg wrote:
Regarding O'Reilly, nothing insensitive and uninformed that he spews on about surprises me anymore. Let's not forget he has his own "alleged" problems with sexual harassment... One would think he'd want to steer clear of stories that might remind people of his own ("alleged") unsavory actions.
Do you still have to say "alleged" when he paid the accuser $20,000,000+ in hush money? You know, from a legal standpoint?
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
Glocksman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Glocksman »

Jason von Evil wrote:And Orally is going to be keystone speaker at a charity dinner for...The Center for Missing and Exploited Children! Even after this. :roll:
I was listening to the Dan Patrick show on ESPN Radio, and O'Reilly's asshattery and presence at this dinner was discussed for several minutes.

You know you're an asshat if you can get the a sports talk radio host to devote several minutes of airtime to talking about just what an asshole you are, even though you have absolutely nothing to do with the world of sports or sports talk. :lol:
"You say that it is your custom to burn widows. Very well. We also have a custom: when men burn a woman alive, we tie a rope around their necks and we hang them. Build your funeral pyre; beside it, my carpenters will build a gallows. You may follow your custom. And then we will follow ours."- General Sir Charles Napier

Oderint dum metuant