Sudan charges writer for report about Darfur rape victims

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Steve
Emperor's Hand

Sudan charges writer for report about Darfur rape victims

Post by Steve »

Yet another victory for justice, yes? :evil: :roll:

And to think Sudan got that UN Human Rights Commission seat....
Mr. B
Jedi Knight

Post by Mr. B »

Dumb crazy genocidal bastards. Now they start covering up their atrocities. Nice.
"I got so high last night I figured out how clouds work." - the miracle of marijuana

Legalize It!

Proud Member of the local 404 Professional Cynics Union.

"Every Revolution carries within it the seeds of its own destruction."-Dune
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Heard about this on BBC World Service.

I thought that that the Sudanese minister's comments to the BBC were the most arrogant things I've heard said. For several reasons.

He proclaimed that without seeing the report and more importantly the names of those who came forward, he could not verify it.

That fucking cocksucker just wants the names so he can direct the "rebels" to go and fucking kill them.

Why the fuck are we (those with the capacity to MAKE A DIFFERENCE) so preoccupied with a bunch of non-threats, like Iran, Syria and North Korea, that we allow entire fucking nations to just about be wiped out by those who have commited more heinous acts than Saddam Hussein could have ever hoped to.

Africa might be a shithole, but surely there has to be some responsibility left in the world. And its only going to get worse. I really don't want to sit around and watch about a sixth of the worlds population kill itself through their own hatred and ignorance and OUR apathy. But until the media can pull its head out of its OMFG! WMD!-centric arse, then nothing is going to happen. Unless of course someone reminds them that there are large amounts of Uranium and other "fissile" materials mined in Africa. That should get the Abrams rolling through Khartoum in no time.
Frank Hipper
Overfiend of the Superego

Post by Frank Hipper »

Khartoum is one place in the world that I wholeheartedly recommend the Shep solution...the shit going on over there makes me seethe with rage.

A nurse at the hospice my dad was in last summer told me quite a few enlightening tales from her doing volunteer work in Sudan..nursing mothers having their breasts cut off so their infants will starve, for instance. I have no doubts that the mother would eventually die from wounds like that, but still...
Life is all the eternity you get, use it wisely.
darthdavid
Pathetic Attention Whore

Post by darthdavid »

weemadando wrote:Heard about this on BBC World Service.

I thought that that the Sudanese minister's comments to the BBC were the most arrogant things I've heard said. For several reasons.

He proclaimed that without seeing the report and more importantly the names of those who came forward, he could not verify it.

That fucking cocksucker just wants the names so he can direct the "rebels" to go and fucking kill them.

Why the fuck are we (those with the capacity to MAKE A DIFFERENCE) so preoccupied with a bunch of non-threats, like Iran, Syria and North Korea, that we allow entire fucking nations to just about be wiped out by those who have commited more heinous acts than Saddam Hussein could have ever hoped to.

Africa might be a shithole, but surely there has to be some responsibility left in the world. And its only going to get worse. I really don't want to sit around and watch about a sixth of the worlds population kill itself through their own hatred and ignorance and OUR apathy. But until the media can pull its head out of its OMFG! WMD!-centric arse, then nothing is going to happen. Unless of course someone reminds them that there are large amounts of Uranium and other "fissile" materials mined in Africa. That should get the Abrams rolling through Khartoum in no time.
Yes, because we all know what a non-clusterfuck Iraq turned out to be. I bet they'll greet us with flowers and RPGs just like the loving people of Iraq. We had the lost boys of sudan at my school. I can't confirm this because I wasn't in the room for the session this supposedly happened during, but appearently, someone asked them what they liked least about America (mind you, this is after being granted asylum from a civil war, and getting to move out of a refugee camp with insufficient food) and one of them said something to the effect of "All the gay people.". I think that at this point, the only way to fix that shit hole is to topple every regime that isn't taking care of it's people (with properly sanctioned, fully international troops) and then institute a massive campaign of education and re-education to keep the people from falling into the same patterns of stupidity all over again.
HemlockGrey
Fucking Awesome

Post by HemlockGrey »

Fixing the problems with the shittiest African shitholes would require years of military occupation, international cooperation and administrative competance in quantities not likely to be available any time in the near future. Until then all we can do is send in the aid trucks and hope they're not knocked over by thugs with AK-47's.
The End of Suburbia
"If more cars are inevitable, must there not be roads for them to run on?"
-Robert Moses

"The Wire" is the best show in the history of television. Watch it today.
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

I fucking despise that sorry excuse for the Sudanese government. While Afrika is a shithole, Sudan is a shitcanion
Alliance SpecForceTrooper
Padawan Learner

Post by Alliance SpecForceTrooper »

Well,

there wont be international mercenaries to do the job anymore. While repulsive to some, they did appear to show results in Sierra Leonne. Of course, they were propping up a government there, not toppling it.
Echo Station Three T-Eight. We have spotted Imperial walkers
Jarl Sven
Youngling

Post by Jarl Sven »

I’ve not liked that place since they put Gordon’s head on a stick.
I figure the odds be fifty-fifty
I just might have some thing to say -F. Zappa
Lord Zentei
Space Elf Psyker
Location: Ulthwé Craftworld, plotting the downfall of the Imperium.

Post by Lord Zentei »

After the mess in Somalia and with the current millitary occupation still going in Iraq, I doubt people will be too eager to enter the Sudan, unfortunately. Sudan, being five times the size of Iraq and just as much a clusterfuck as Somalia, has the potential of being far worse a place to get stuck than Iraq.

Moreover Bush foolishly spent all of America's brownie points with the American people, the World in general and the muslim world in particular going after Saddam, so going into Sudan will be doubly hard.
Jarl Sven wrote:I’ve not liked that place since they put Gordon’s head on a stick.
Who is Gordon?
CotK <mew> | HAB | JL | MM | TTC | Cybertron

TAX THE CHURCHES! - Lord Zentei TTC Supreme Grand Prophet

And the LORD said, Let there be Bosons! Yea and let there be Bosoms too!
I'd rather be the great great grandson of a demon ninja than some jackass who grew potatos. -- Covenant
Dead cows don't fart. -- CJvR
...and I like strudel! :mrgreen: -- Asuka
Burak Gazan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Burak Gazan »

"Of course, what would really happen is that in Game 7, with the Red Sox winning 20-0 in the 9th inning, with two outs and two strikes on the last Cubs batter, a previously unseen meteor would strike the earth, instantly and forever wiping out all life on the planet, and forever denying the Red Sox a World Series victory..."