Jane Fonda's/Hanoi Jane New Book and Apology

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

Chmee wrote:
Rogue 9 wrote:
Chmee wrote: Hm, guess a declaration of war would have been handy then ....
Since when is a declaration of war necessary for the status of Enemy of the State? We did not formally declare war with the Soviet Union at any time, yet those caught feeding them information, particularly about nuclear programs, were tried as traitors.
Could we make the lines any more blurry? She wasn't charged with anything because ... that's right, she didn't actually provide aid and comfort to the enemy, she just did a stupid thing and pissed off a lot of people (some, particularly serving servicemen, were very justifiably pissed).

Conservatives clung to Fonda as something they could bash in the 60's and 70's like a drowning man clinging to a life preserver .... because they were so wrong on so many things, they were desparate to be right about something. Wow, they were right, a young political activist said dumb things ... which got nobody killed. Now compare that to stupidity that gets thousands of your own guys and millions of this 'enemy' killed ..... and she takes her true place as an insignificant blip in the historical map.
It still just would have been absolutely hilarious if a Wild Weasel pilot had chosen that AAA site to hit at that point in time.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
Chmee
Sith Marauder

Post by Chmee »

Rogue 9 wrote:
Chmee wrote:
Rogue 9 wrote: Since when is a declaration of war necessary for the status of Enemy of the State? We did not formally declare war with the Soviet Union at any time, yet those caught feeding them information, particularly about nuclear programs, were tried as traitors.
Could we make the lines any more blurry? She wasn't charged with anything because ... that's right, she didn't actually provide aid and comfort to the enemy, she just did a stupid thing and pissed off a lot of people (some, particularly serving servicemen, were very justifiably pissed).

Conservatives clung to Fonda as something they could bash in the 60's and 70's like a drowning man clinging to a life preserver .... because they were so wrong on so many things, they were desparate to be right about something. Wow, they were right, a young political activist said dumb things ... which got nobody killed. Now compare that to stupidity that gets thousands of your own guys and millions of this 'enemy' killed ..... and she takes her true place as an insignificant blip in the historical map.
It still just would have been absolutely hilarious if a Wild Weasel pilot had chosen that AAA site to hit at that point in time.
:roll: I guess, if you find an American actually exercising their free speech rights to be worthy of a HARM up the wazoo ....

Somehow I suspect they chose a site for her in one of those areas that Johnson forbade our forces to go ....
[img=right]http://www.tallguyz.com/imagelib/chmeesig.jpg[/img]My guess might be excellent or it might be crummy, but
Mrs. Spade didn't raise any children dippy enough to
make guesses in front of a district attorney,
an assistant district attorney, and a stenographer

Sam Spade, "The Maltese Falcon"

Operation Freedom Fry
Spacebeard
Padawan Learner

Post by Spacebeard »

Iceberg wrote:"Aid and comfort" in the sense the Constitution writers meant, means directly assisting enemy forces in attacking the United States. Jane Fonda was an idiot, but I don't think her actions sink to the level of treason.
I admit I'm not familiar with the exact details of what she did, but it seems to me that if actors who visit our troops as part of the US Open are giving aid and comfort to them, then actors who visit enemy troops are giving aid and comfort to the enemy. Obviously, it's not in the same league as selling secrets or handing them supplies, but any resentment towards her from Vietnam veterans is well-deserved.

I do think that the phrase "giving aid and comfort to the enemy" is yet another phrase which has become nearly meaningless through constant abuse by the right wing, much like "activist judge", but I don't think the case of Jane Fonda is an example of such abuse.
"This war, all around us, is being fought over the very meanings of words." - Chad, Deus Ex
HemlockGrey
Fucking Awesome

Post by HemlockGrey »

Yeah, I don't get the "Aid and comfort" thing. What exactly did she do, beside pose for photographs? Did she smuggle guns? Did she broker an arms deal with the Chinese? Ship in food and supplies? Eh?
The End of Suburbia
"If more cars are inevitable, must there not be roads for them to run on?"
-Robert Moses

"The Wire" is the best show in the history of television. Watch it today.
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

Chmee wrote: :roll: I guess, if you find an American actually exercising their free speech rights to be worthy of a HARM up the wazoo ....

Somehow I suspect they chose a site for her in one of those areas that Johnson forbade our forces to go ....
Free speach doesn't protect you from stupidity of sitting on an enemy artillery piece being targeted by a warplane. :wink:
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
Spacebeard
Padawan Learner

Post by Spacebeard »

HemlockGrey wrote:Yeah, I don't get the "Aid and comfort" thing. What exactly did she do, beside pose for photographs? Did she smuggle guns? Did she broker an arms deal with the Chinese? Ship in food and supplies? Eh?
Well, like I said, if participating in the US Open is to be considered giving aid and comfort to our troops, then doing the same for the enemy can be considered giving aid and comfort to them. I say unless she actually changed the military situation somehow, she is not a "traitor", but she still deserves the resentment she gets from Vietnam veterans, since she was after all out there entertaining guys who were trying to kill them.
"This war, all around us, is being fought over the very meanings of words." - Chad, Deus Ex
Chmee
Sith Marauder

Post by Chmee »

Knife wrote:
Chmee wrote: :roll: I guess, if you find an American actually exercising their free speech rights to be worthy of a HARM up the wazoo ....

Free speach doesn't protect you from stupidity of sitting on an enemy artillery piece being targeted by a warplane. :wink:
No argument there ... that would be like the Gulf War protesters who wanted to go act as human shields at Iraqi military buildings. Ok ... life is an intelligence test, and that ain't a passing grade ........
[img=right]http://www.tallguyz.com/imagelib/chmeesig.jpg[/img]My guess might be excellent or it might be crummy, but

Operation Freedom Fry
Sam Or I
Jedi Council Member

Post by Sam Or I »

Me being the facist right wing conservitive that I am think it was a treacherous act. Not in the same league as picking up arms against the troops.

It is totally ok to bash the military, bash the government, and even say the enemy is correct. Thats what freedom of speech is for, to critise the government. To go to the enemys government an produce propaganda for the enemy, through there government is stepping over the line IMHO. She was helping the N. Vietnam governments war effort.

Personally, I think her citizenship should have been revoked, and she should not have been able to step back on US soil.

But I also enjoy eating babies, and shooting kittens for fun, dang us right wingers.
The Dark
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Dark »

Elfdart wrote:So what I'm saying is that those who get worked up over Jane Fonda are fascist-minded sore losers with limp little dicks.
I wasn't aware I was a fascist-minded sore loser. I just happen to dislike when citizens take trips to countries whose military is fighting ours and provide them with positive PR. I also don't like when they come back and say that POWs were not at all mistreated, and that anyone making that claim is a liar when there is physical evidence of torture. I just have this little thing about not liking dishonest people who end up accusing the victim of a crime.
Stanley Hauerwas wrote:[W]hy is it that no one is angry at the inequality of income in this country? I mean, the inequality of income is unbelievable. Unbelievable. Why isn’t that ever an issue of politics? Because you don’t live in a democracy. You live in a plutocracy. Money rules.
BattleTech for SilCore
frigidmagi
Sith Devotee

Post by frigidmagi »

Jane Fonda was not exerising free speech. Protestors who marched in the streets were. Flag Burners were exerising their rights to free speech, even those knucklehead bastards who scream victory to the Iraq Resistence are.

Free Speech is not going to a nation in armed conflict with the forces of your nation and applauding and encouraging their attempts to maim and kill American troops. That is has close to the bleeding edge of treason has you get.
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

frigidmagi wrote:Jane Fonda was not exerising free speech. Protestors who marched in the streets were. Flag Burners were exerising their rights to free speech, even those knucklehead bastards who scream victory to the Iraq Resistence are.

Free Speech is not going to a nation in armed conflict with the forces of your nation and applauding and encouraging their attempts to maim and kill American troops. That is has close to the bleeding edge of treason has you get.
What's the difference between cheering on the NVA and cheering on the Iraqi Resistance?

All looks like free expression to me.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

Gandalf wrote:
frigidmagi wrote:Jane Fonda was not exerising free speech. Protestors who marched in the streets were. Flag Burners were exerising their rights to free speech, even those knucklehead bastards who scream victory to the Iraq Resistence are.

What's the difference between cheering on the NVA and cheering on the Iraqi Resistance?

All looks like free expression to me.
Not when you actually travel over there and let their media/propagandaist lead you around on tape to show the enemy troops to give em a boost in morale, and the other side, as a psyop's to destroy theirs.

She willingly let herself be used by the enemy for their best interests.

Hence, aid and comfort.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
Thirdfain
The Player of Games
Location: Never underestimate the staggering drawing power of the Garden State.

Post by Thirdfain »

Elfdart wrote:So what I'm saying is that those who get worked up over Jane Fonda are fascist-minded sore losers with limp little dicks.
Holy shit, you are a massive asshole. Hey, Lindenburgh thought the Nazis were pretty cool. I guess if he had gone over to Germany and started producing propaganda videos for the Third Reich, he would have been far less of a traitor than that goddamned general Eisenhower, who's ridiculously unsafe "Overlord" plan lead to the deaths of 45,000 Americans on the beaches.

Jackass. You get the government your peers elected, and you live with it. You punish failure on that government's part come election day, or in the streets on a picket line. You don't move into the disgustingly oppressive Communist shithole we are at war with and make fucking propoganda videos for them.

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite.
John Kenneth Galbraith (1908 - )
Chmee
Sith Marauder

Post by Chmee »

Thirdfain wrote:
Holy shit, you are a massive asshole. Hey, Lindenburgh thought the Nazis were pretty cool. I guess if he had gone over to Germany and started producing propaganda videos for the Third Reich, he would have been far less of a traitor than that goddamned general Eisenhower, who's ridiculously unsafe "Overlord" plan lead to the deaths of 45,000 Americans on the beaches.

Jackass. You get the government your peers elected, and you live with it. You punish failure on that government's part come election day, or in the streets on a picket line. You don't move into the disgustingly oppressive Communist shithole we are at war with and make fucking propoganda videos for them.
Lindenburgh? Is that the guy who flew solo across the Atlantic by filling his body with hydrogen, then blew up over New Jersey?

Operation Freedom Fry
Thirdfain
The Player of Games

Post by Thirdfain »

Chmee wrote:
Thirdfain wrote:

Lindenburgh? Is that the guy who flew solo across the Atlantic by filling his body with hydrogen, then blew up over New Jersey?
Lindenburgh was a famous pilot. His baby was kidnapped. He was a raging anti-semetic dickhead, too.

Chmee
Sith Marauder

Post by Chmee »

Thirdfain wrote:
Chmee wrote:
Thirdfain wrote: Holy shit, you are a massive asshole. Hey, Lindenburgh thought the Nazis were pretty cool. I guess if he had gone over to Germany and started producing propaganda videos for the Third Reich, he would have been far less of a traitor than that goddamned general Eisenhower, who's ridiculously unsafe "Overlord" plan lead to the deaths of 45,000 Americans on the beaches.

Lindenburgh was a famous pilot. His baby was kidnapped. He was a raging anti-semetic dickhead, too.
:banghead:
The Spartan
Sith Marauder

Post by The Spartan »

Thirdfain wrote:Lindenburgh was a famous pilot. His baby was kidnapped. He was a raging anti-semetic dickhead, too.
You're thinking of Charles Lindsburgh. You seem to be crossing his name with Hindenburgh, the zeppelin that crashed in New Jersey. (Oh the humanity!)
Chmee
Sith Marauder

Post by Chmee »

Charles .... Lindbergh .....

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/amex/lindbergh/
Spacebeard
Padawan Learner

Post by Spacebeard »

The Spartan wrote:
Thirdfain wrote:Lindenburgh was a famous pilot. His baby was kidnapped. He was a raging anti-semetic dickhead, too.
You're thinking of Charles Lindsburgh. You seem to be crossing his name with Hindenburgh, the zeppelin that crashed in New Jersey. (Oh the humanity!)
LINDBERGH! LINDBERGH! LINDBERGH!

And he did visit Nazi Germany to receive an award from Hitler if I recall correctly, but the important distinction is he did NOT do it during war-time.
Joe
Space Cowboy

Post by Joe »

*claps*

:lol:

BoTM / JL / MM / HAB / VRWC / Horseman

I'm studying for the CPA exam. Have a nice summer, and if you're down just sit back and realize that Joe is off somewhere, doing much worse than you are.
Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

Jane Fonda and Johnny Walker Lindh. Both provided aid to the enemy, even if non-technical or non-combat (if we believe Lindh's story that he never actually fired a weapon, uh-huh). But Fonda is a celebrity, so she gets a pass, but Lindh is a nobody, and goes to jail.

Actually, though, what would have happened if Fonda went to jail for her stupid stunt? Instant Martyr. Cries of "political prisoner of the evil US!" It would have made things worse, at the time.
Something about Libertarianism always bothered me. Then one day, I realized what it was:
Libertarian philosophy can be boiled down to the phrase, "Work Will Make You Free."

In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

If all you want to do is have some harmless, mindless fun, go H3RE INST3ADZ0RZ!!
Grrr! Fight my Brute, you pansy!
Spacebeard
Padawan Learner

Post by Spacebeard »

Coyote wrote:Jane Fonda and Johnny Walker Lindh. Both provided aid to the enemy, even if non-technical or non-combat (if we believe Lindh's story that he never actually fired a weapon, uh-huh). But Fonda is a celebrity, so she gets a pass, but Lindh is a nobody, and goes to jail. .
Even if we believe Lindh's story, he was still actually in the Taliban's army, wasn't he? That would be grounds for losing his citizenship even if it were an ally's army he had joined. It's definitely not in the same league as taking a trip to make propaganda films, even though both are treasonous.
Thirdfain
The Player of Games

Post by Thirdfain »

Chmee wrote:Charles .... Lindbergh .....

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/amex/lindbergh/
Oh, man, I guess the fact I misspelled "Lindbergh" completely invalidates my point.

HemlockGrey
Fucking Awesome

Post by HemlockGrey »

I was under the impression that citizenship could not be revoked, only voluntarily surrendered.
The End of Suburbia
"If more cars are inevitable, must there not be roads for them to run on?"
-Robert Moses

"The Wire" is the best show in the history of television. Watch it today.
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

HemlockGrey wrote:I was under the impression that citizenship could not be revoked, only voluntarily surrendered.

Damn that's a long url
TITLE 8 > CHAPTER 12 > SUBCHAPTER III > Part III > § 1481 Prev | Next

§ 1481. Loss of nationality by native-born or naturalized citizen; voluntary action; burden of proof; presumptions

Release date: 2004-02-11

(a) A person who is a national of the United States whether by birth or naturalization, shall lose his nationality by voluntarily performing any of the following acts with the intention of relinquishing United States nationality—
(1) obtaining naturalization in a foreign state upon his own application or upon an application filed by a duly authorized agent, after having attained the age of eighteen years; or
(2) taking an oath or making an affirmation or other formal declaration of allegiance to a foreign state or a political subdivision thereof, after having attained the age of eighteen years; or
(3) entering, or serving in, the armed forces of a foreign state if
(A) such armed forces are engaged in hostilities against the United States, or
(B) such persons serve as a commissioned or non-commissioned officer; or

(4)
(A) accepting, serving in, or performing the duties of any office, post, or employment under the government of a foreign state or a political subdivision thereof, after attaining the age of eighteen years if he has or acquires the nationality of such foreign state; or
(B) accepting, serving in, or performing the duties of any office, post, or employment under the government of a foreign state or a political subdivision thereof, after attaining the age of eighteen years for which office, post, or employment an oath, affirmation, or declaration of allegiance is required; or
(5) making a formal renunciation of nationality before a diplomatic or consular officer of the United States in a foreign state, in such form as may be prescribed by the Secretary of State; or
(6) making in the United States a formal written renunciation of nationality in such form as may be prescribed by, and before such officer as may be designated by, the Attorney General, whenever the United States shall be in a state of war and the Attorney General shall approve such renunciation as not contrary to the interests of national defense; or
(7) committing any act of treason against, or attempting by force to overthrow, or bearing arms against, the United States, violating or conspiring to violate any of the provisions of section 2383 of title 18, or willfully performing any act in violation of section 2385 of title 18, or violating section 2384 of title 18 by engaging in a conspiracy to overthrow, put down, or to destroy by force the Government of the United States, or to levy war against them, if and when he is convicted thereof by a court martial or by a court of competent jurisdiction.
(b) Whenever the loss of United States nationality is put in issue in any action or proceeding commenced on or after September 26, 1961 under, or by virtue of, the provisions of this chapter or any other Act, the burden shall be upon the person or party claiming that such loss occurred, to establish such claim by a preponderance of the evidence. Any person who commits or performs, or who has committed or performed, any act of expatriation under the provisions of this chapter or any other Act shall be presumed to have done so voluntarily, but such presumption may be rebutted upon a showing, by a preponderance of the evidence, that the act or acts committed or performed were not done voluntarily.
Bolded by me for parts that might apply to Walker. Also note the last part where it would be up to Walker to prove he didn't do one of those acts that would *concievably* kank his citizenship.