Jane Fonda's/Hanoi Jane New Book and Apology

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Tommy J
Jedi Master

Jane Fonda's/Hanoi Jane New Book and Apology

Post by Tommy J »

Well, Jane Fonda is going to apologize on 60 Minutes this Sunday once again for her 1972 trip to North Vietnam. Personally I feel that it's about time. However much you disagree with a war you don't disrespect the ground troops in harms way.

Also her tell all book talks about her 3-way experiences with her first husband and how humiliated she is in hindsight.

What is it about celebrities these days with their bear all books that begs the public to forgive them. I was talking with a co-worker this morning who fought in Vietnam and he says, "fuck Jane Fonda," but sorry I don't forgive her and won't be anytime soon.

MSNBC.com
Fonda: ‘Hanoi Jane’ visit was a mistake
But doesn't regret entire trip; also says she procured call girls

MSNBC News Services
Updated: 7:39 p.m. ET March 31, 2005

NEW YORK - Jane Fonda says her 1972 visit to a North Vietnamese anti-aircraft gun site, an incident that brought her the nickname “Hanoi Jane,” was a “betrayal” of American forces and of the “country that gave me privilege.”

“The image of Jane Fonda, ‘Barbarella,’ Henry Fonda’s daughter ... sitting on an enemy aircraft gun was a betrayal ... the largest lapse of judgment that I can even imagine,” Fonda told Lesley Stahl in a “60 Minutes” interview that will air Sunday night.

Fonda, whose memoir “Jane Fonda: My Life So Far” comes out next week, said she did not regret meeting with American POWs in North Vietnam or making broadcasts on Radio Hanoi. “Our government was lying to us and men were dying because of it, and I felt I had to do anything that I could to expose the lies and help end the war,” she said.

But she said she wouldn't make the same sort of broadcasts in Iraq today.

"I don't think it's the same situation at all. When I went [to North Vietnam] ... we had been fighting in Vietnam for eight years. The majority of Americans ... [and] Congress opposed the war. It was a desperate time," she said, according to CBS News' Web site.

Solicited call girls
Also on “60 Minutes,” Fonda acknowledged that she had participated in sexual threesomes, at the encouragement of her first husband, French film director Roger Vadim.

"One night Vadim brought another woman into my bed and I went along with it. ... I'm competitive ... I was going to keep up with the Joneses. It was the '60s and whatever," she said.

She told the program she isn't sure if she enjoyed the ménage à trois, but said she consented because she worried he would leave her otherwise.

Fonda told CBS she even solicited the call girls herself, using her experience from her Oscar-winning role as a prostitute in "Klute."

"Hey, if that's what he wanted, I'd give it to him in spades," she said.
Chmee
Sith Marauder

Post by Chmee »

Of course, unlike Johnson & Nixon, her mistakes didn't literally cost tens of thousands of American lives .... I've never understood the pathological neocon focus on Fonda, much less the media's participation in this particularly ugly witchhunt.
[img=right]http://www.tallguyz.com/imagelib/chmeesig.jpg[/img]My guess might be excellent or it might be crummy, but
Mrs. Spade didn't raise any children dippy enough to
make guesses in front of a district attorney,
an assistant district attorney, and a stenographer

Sam Spade, "The Maltese Falcon"

Operation Freedom Fry
Tommy J
Jedi Master

Post by Tommy J »

Chmee wrote:Of course, unlike Johnson & Nixon, her mistakes didn't literally cost tens of thousands of American lives .... I've never understood the pathological neocon focus on Fonda, much less the media's participation in this particularly ugly witchhunt.
My co-worker is actually a liberal who voted for Kerry. His agnst with her is that he was fighting in Vietnam at the time and not by choice. [remember we had a draft then] and she was dissing Joe avg solider as well as the Nixon/Johnson administrations. I understant his anger with regard to that. Imagine for a moment someone like J' Lo during the Iraqi war, going to Sadam Husseins palace. The fighting soliders, now even volunteers, would probably be angry as well.
Ory'hara
Redshirt

Post by Ory'hara »

Chmee wrote:Of course, unlike Johnson & Nixon, her mistakes didn't literally cost tens of thousands of American lives .... I've never understood the pathological neocon focus on Fonda, much less the media's participation in this particularly ugly witchhunt.
Aid and comfort to an enemy we were at war with? And Kennedy first brought us into Vietnam.
Chmee
Sith Marauder

Post by Chmee »

Ory'hara wrote:
Aid and comfort to an enemy we were at war with? And Kennedy first brought us into Vietnam.
And, since we'll never know if he'd have gone down the same escalation path as Johnson, speculation is rather pointless.
[img=right]http://www.tallguyz.com/imagelib/chmeesig.jpg[/img]My guess might be excellent or it might be crummy, but

Operation Freedom Fry
That NOS Guy
Jedi Council Member

Post by That NOS Guy »

American involvment leading up into the Vietnam war started with Truman.

The more you know.
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

Chmee wrote: And, since we'll never know if he'd have gone down the same escalation path as Johnson, speculation is rather pointless.
Johnson was a fuck head too, but he's dead and doesn't have a book coming out nor an interview sunday.

Fonda does, and I will not forgive that traitorous bitch.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

Fonda? Last I heard the only thing she was sorry about (and apologizing for) was the picture she posed for with the AAA crew at their gun.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

Rogue 9 wrote:Fonda? Last I heard the only thing she was sorry about (and apologizing for) was the picture she posed for with the AAA crew at their gun.
True, the blurb I heard for 60minutes was her being sorry for the AAA gun but still glad she went over there and met with the NVA.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

why would somone want to fuck jane fonda she's been ridden more then one of her brother's bikes

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

The right wing in this country hates Jane Fonda for the same reason the early Nazis hated Marlene Dietrich: Both were prominent women who opposed evil and unjust wars. Right-wing Germans still loathe Dietrich. The fact that both were women is a huge part of it. Men like Tom Hayden, Donald Sutherland took part in many of the same protests and publicity stunts, yet their names aren't like a bullfighter's red cape to the American Freikorps.

When you notice that overt gay-bashing goes hand in hand with the scapegoating of certain women, the reason why women are singled out is pretty clear: A country that loses a war (especially an unjust one) usually suffers from a severe inferiority complex about its manliness. As Gore Vidal said, American manhood had been kneed by the Vietnamese.

Funny how right-wingers get more bent out of shape over Jane Fonda for having her picture taken with Vietnamese soldiers than William Calley, who murdered Vietnamese children. So what I'm saying is that those who get worked up over Jane Fonda are fascist-minded sore losers with limp little dicks.
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

And hypocrites, too.
Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

Elfdart wrote:The right wing in this country hates Jane Fonda for the same reason the early Nazis hated Marlene Dietrich: Both were prominent women who opposed evil and unjust wars. Right-wing Germans still loathe Dietrich. The fact that both were women is a huge part of it. Men like Tom Hayden, Donald Sutherland took part in many of the same protests and publicity stunts, yet their names aren't like a bullfighter's red cape to the American Freikorps.

When you notice that overt gay-bashing goes hand in hand with the scapegoating of certain women, the reason why women are singled out is pretty clear: A country that loses a war (especially an unjust one) usually suffers from a severe inferiority complex about its manliness. As Gore Vidal said, American manhood had been kneed by the Vietnamese.

Funny how right-wingers get more bent out of shape over Jane Fonda for having her picture taken with Vietnamese soldiers than William Calley, who murdered Vietnamese children. So what I'm saying is that those who get worked up over Jane Fonda are fascist-minded sore losers with limp little dicks.
Let's spell it out. Aid. And. Comfort. To. The. Enemy.
United States Constitution, Article 3, Section 3, Clause 1 wrote:Treason against the United States, shall consist only in levying War against them, or in adhering to their Enemies, giving them Aid and Comfort. No Person shall be convicted of Treason unless on the Testimony of two Witnesses to the same overt Act, or on Confession in open Court.
I'd say that qualifies. And nobody's after that asshole Calley at the moment because he's not the one trying to get away with a bullshit half-excuse! If he was up and saying that apologizing for part of his treason/war crimes would make the whole thing all better, people would be tearing into him too. That doesn't excuse Fonda, so lay off the red herring.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
frigidmagi
Sith Devotee

Post by frigidmagi »

Yeah, how dare us troops get pissed off over a American giving aide and comfort to the people trying to kill us, soooo unreasonable of us.
Chmee
Sith Marauder

Post by Chmee »

Rogue 9 wrote:
Elfdart wrote:The right wing in this country hates Jane Fonda for the same reason the early Nazis hated Marlene Dietrich: Both were prominent women who opposed evil and unjust wars. Right-wing Germans still loathe Dietrich. The fact that both were women is a huge part of it. Men like Tom Hayden, Donald Sutherland took part in many of the same protests and publicity stunts, yet their names aren't like a bullfighter's red cape to the American Freikorps.

Hm, guess a declaration of war would have been handy then ....

I'll say it again, I'll save my venom for the people actually getting our boys killed, not the ones criticizing the policies that got them killed. Fonda did stupid things, but then her stupidity was microscopic in comparison to that of our elected leaders, so I try to keep it in perspective.

Operation Freedom Fry
Chmee
Sith Marauder

Post by Chmee »

Dang, sorry, no Edit button to add this:
Clevinger sat for a moment as though he'd been slapped. "Congratulations!" he exclaimed bitterly... "I can't think of another attitude that could be dependent upon to give greater comfort to the enemy."

"The enemy," resorted Yossarian with weighted precision, "is anybody who's going to get you killed, no matter which side he's on, and that includes Colonel Cathcart. And don't you forget that, because the longer you remember it, the longer you might live."
Catch-22, by Joseph Heller

Operation Freedom Fry
Nick Lancaster
Padawan Learner

Post by Nick Lancaster »

Elfdart wrote: When you notice that overt gay-bashing goes hand in hand with the scapegoating of certain women, the reason why women are singled out is pretty clear: A country that loses a war (especially an unjust one) usually suffers from a severe inferiority complex about its manliness. As Gore Vidal said, American manhood had been kneed by the Vietnamese.
Any sources other than a quote by Vidal, or are you pulling this brilliant claim out of your ass? That is, how do you get from gay-bashing to bashing-of-Jane-Fonda, and thus to an inferiority complex about their manhood?

Does it follow that if you hate Jane Fonda, you must also hate gays? Or vice-versa? Does losing a war make you a gay-basher?

You might as well postulate that this is the reason they dislike Hillary Clinton, because she's a strong woman, or that this is the real reason Carly Fiorina got the ax over at HP.
And have *you* served in the military? (Not that the absence of service on your part invalidates your argument, but 'fascist-minded sore losers with limp little dicks' is a pretty nasty label.)

I know more than a few veterans who hold Jane Fonda in contempt, yet this is no more than a casual dismissal of her importance or credibility, not the spittle-flying raving you suggest. Bear in mind that for years, Ms. Fonda has been trying to explain and rationalize her behavior; no one is buying it. This interview and book is merely the latest effort to reinvent herself.
Peace is a lie, there is only passion
Through passion, I gain strength
Through strength, I gain power
Through power, I gain victory
Through victory, my chains are broken
The Force shall free me.
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

Vets hate Jane Fonda for going over to Vietnaum and calling them assholes. Vets hate Fonda for giving Aid and Comfort to the enemy. It has nothing at all to do with the legitimacy of the war at all. If that fucking bitch would have stayed home instead, she could have been as venamous as sooooooo many other protestors and we wouldn't be here today babbleing about it.

This isn't about being a woman or a gay or a liberal or a conservative. It's about a fucking photo op with the little asshats we were actually fighting at the moment. Giving them a political and PR win fall and making the vets (and POW's) feel like shit.

Funny how right-wingers get more bent out of shape over Jane Fonda for having her picture taken with Vietnamese soldiers than William Calley, who murdered Vietnamese children.
Jesus jumping dickheads, nice tangent. WTF does that have to do with....anything?
So what I'm saying is that those who get worked up over Jane Fonda are fascist-minded sore losers with limp little dicks.
You really are a putz.

Joe
Space Cowboy

Post by Joe »

If Elfdart was a conservative...

The left wing in this country loves Jane Fonda for the same reason the post WWII American lefists loved traitors like Alger Hiss and treat the Rosenbergs like martyrs: all of these people gave aid and comfort to the enemy of a nation that they hated. The fact that all of them were traitors is a huge part of it. Other leftists criticized the US government without actually betraying it, yet their names aren't praised and lionized by the American communist apology brigade.

When you notice the overt and consistent bashing of the United States and everything it stands for, the reason why these people are praised is pretty clear: leftists usually have bizarre self-loathing complexes about their cultural identity and they really do hate the United States and everything it stands for, and they actively support and encourage the subversion of it by communist regimes. As Ann Coulter said, usually the nonsense liberals spout is kind of cute, but in wartime their instinctive idiocy is life-threatening.

Funny how liberals get all bent-out of shape whenever a right-winger or soldier criticizes Jane Fonda for photo ops with the people who actively tried to kill American soldiers but are completely mum on the atrocities committed by the Viet Cong and later the North Vietnamese government who brought in Maoist specialists in mass murder to help decide who had to be removed. So what I'm saying is that these leftists who love Jane Fonda for her actions during the Vietnam War are Stalinist-minded traitors who should be lined up and shot like the traitors that they are.

And hypocrites, too.

BoTM / JL / MM / HAB / VRWC / Horseman

I'm studying for the CPA exam. Have a nice summer, and if you're down just sit back and realize that Joe is off somewhere, doing much worse than you are.
Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

Chmee wrote:
Rogue 9 wrote:

Since when is a declaration of war necessary for the status of Enemy of the State? We did not formally declare war with the Soviet Union at any time, yet those caught feeding them information, particularly about nuclear programs, were tried as traitors.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

Joe
Space Cowboy

Post by Joe »

Oh, by the way, Elfdart just called a number of board members, many of whom have served in the military, fascists. Would any of you moderate leftists who cry foul when Ann Coulter or whatever says that all liberals are traitors maybe like to call him on it?

BoTM / JL / MM / HAB / VRWC / Horseman

I'm studying for the CPA exam. Have a nice summer, and if you're down just sit back and realize that Joe is off somewhere, doing much worse than you are.
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

Joe wrote:Oh, by the way, Elfdart just called a number of board members, many of whom have served in the military, fascists. Would any of you moderate leftists who cry foul when Ann Coulter or whatever says that all liberals are traitors maybe like to call him on it?
I caught that already and really choose to ignore it. He spouts stupidities like this all the time in a vain hope of stirring shit.

Chmee
Sith Marauder

Post by Chmee »

Rogue 9 wrote:
Chmee wrote:
Rogue 9 wrote: Let's spell it out. Aid. And. Comfort. To. The. Enemy.
Since when is a declaration of war necessary for the status of Enemy of the State? We did not formally declare war with the Soviet Union at any time, yet those caught feeding them information, particularly about nuclear programs, were tried as traitors.
Could we make the lines any more blurry? She wasn't charged with anything because ... that's right, she didn't actually provide aid and comfort to the enemy, she just did a stupid thing and pissed off a lot of people (some, particularly serving servicemen, were very justifiably pissed).

Conservatives clung to Fonda as something they could bash in the 60's and 70's like a drowning man clinging to a life preserver .... because they were so wrong on so many things, they were desparate to be right about something. Wow, they were right, a young political activist said dumb things ... which got nobody killed. Now compare that to stupidity that gets thousands of your own guys and millions of this 'enemy' killed ..... and she takes her true place as an insignificant blip in the historical map.

Operation Freedom Fry
Iceberg
ASVS Master of Laundry

Post by Iceberg »

"Aid and comfort" in the sense the Constitution writers meant, means directly assisting enemy forces in attacking the United States. Jane Fonda was an idiot, but I don't think her actions sink to the level of treason.
"Carriers dispense fighters, which dispense assbeatings." - White Haven

| Hyperactive Gundam Pilot of MM | GALE | ASVS | Cleaners | Kibologist (beable) | DFB |
If only one rock and roll song echoes into tomorrow
There won't be anything to keep you from the distant morning glow.
I'm not a man. I just portrayed one for 15 years.
SirNitram
Rest in Peace, Black Mage

Post by SirNitram »

Joe wrote:Oh, by the way, Elfdart just called a number of board members, many of whom have served in the military, fascists. Would any of you moderate leftists who cry foul when Ann Coulter or whatever says that all liberals are traitors maybe like to call him on it?
Here, I'll make you feel alllll better.

Elfdart is a peice of trash, just like Coulter. Both are irrational, shrill indicators of the fucktard extremes of their parties. What will again be glossed over is while Elfdarts exist, none are considered celebrities, get prominent book deals, or tolerated by the voices of their grouping.

Would you like to offer some enlightening discourse, or failing that, something that is not widely known?
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Debator Classification: Trollhunter