Thrawn Vs. Khan

SWvST: the subject of the main site.

Moderator: Vympel

Hmm?

Thrawn
64%
Khan
4%
Straha, you blood sucker, you're not going to be able to father any children, do you hear me? DO YOU?
31%

Total votes: 67

Straha
Lord of the Spam

Thrawn Vs. Khan

Post by Straha »

Who, if given equal forces and enough time to train sufficently in their tactical use, is the more bad-as bad guy?
'After 9/11, it was "You're with us or your with the terrorists." Now its "You're with Straha or you support racism."' ' - The Romulan Republic

'You're a bully putting on an air of civility while saying that everything western and/or capitalistic must be bad, and a lot of other posters (loomer, Stas Bush, Gandalf) are also going along with it for their own personal reasons (Stas in particular is looking through rose colored glasses)' - Darth Yan
The Kernel
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Kernel »

This is a joke right? A highly trained military commander vs. a 20th century dictator?
Straha
Lord of the Spam

Post by Straha »

The Kernel wrote:This is a joke right? A highly trained military commander vs. a 20th century dictator?
Dictator who also happened to rule a good portion of the world and was a super-genius along with being a not half bad commander. So yeah, no joke.
'After 9/11, it was "You're with us or your with the terrorists." Now its "You're with Straha or you support racism."' ' - The Romulan Republic

'You're a bully putting on an air of civility while saying that everything western and/or capitalistic must be bad, and a lot of other posters (loomer, Stas Bush, Gandalf) are also going along with it for their own personal reasons (Stas in particular is looking through rose colored glasses)' - Darth Yan
The Kernel
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Kernel »

Straha wrote: Dictator who also happened to rule a good portion of the world and was a super-genius along with being a not half bad commander. So yeah, no joke.
Not a half-bad commander? Against the greatest military genius in a galaxy of millions of worlds? I ask again: is this a joke?
Straha
Lord of the Spam

Post by Straha »

The Kernel wrote:
Straha wrote: Dictator who also happened to rule a good portion of the world and was a super-genius along with being a not half bad commander. So yeah, no joke.
Not a half-bad commander? Against the greatest military genius in a galaxy of millions of worlds? I ask again: is this a joke?
Correct me if I'm wrong but is there not controversy over how good a commander Thrawn really was?

The Kernel
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Kernel »

Straha wrote: Correct me if I'm wrong but is there not controversy over how good a commander Thrawn really was?
There is no controversy that he was the greatest military commander in the Star Wars galaxy.
RedImperator
Roosevelt Republican

Post by RedImperator »

You mean Kahn the super genius who didn't figure out unti it was too late that in space, it's possible for the other guy to attack you from above? Or that if you have shields and the other guy doesn't, it's to the other guy's advantage to follow him into a nebula that disrupts shields? That super genius?
Any city gets what it admires, will pay for, and, ultimately, deserves…We want and deserve tin-can architecture in a tinhorn culture. And we will probably be judged not by the monuments we build but by those we have destroyed.--Ada Louise Huxtable, "Farewell to Penn Station", New York Times editorial, 30 October 1963
X-Ray Blues
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Let's compare styles for a moment.

Thrawn while some do overrate him was able to utilize a smaller force to effectively threaten a larger one. He bluffed and finagled and manipulated his way into a variety of situations that he won and lost only when a variable eluded him by an outside source he trusted.

Khan on the other hand used his memory but was goaded into situations by simply his arrogance. Kirk out manuvered him into both bluffing how strong he was as well goading him into a battle where he decisively lost every advantage. In fact he never even once thought of a three dimensional battleground in space.

Between the two...Thrawn is far better.
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

To be fair, by the Wrath of Khan, Khan was quite clearly not in full control of himself any more. He may have been far better in his prime. However, in this case, it doesn't matter. Thrawn takes it.

Though bad ass is a very subjective term. Bad-ass bad guy doesn't actually mean 'winner' after all. Look at Palpatine and Sauron as examples. IMO Kahn occupies a similar level of coolness to Thrawn, but YMMV.

And this 'Castrate Stratha' nonsense is getting out of hand. You just wait 'til they make me a supermod. I'm gonna send these foul polls to the abyss!
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Stofsk
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stofsk »

The Kernel wrote:
Straha wrote: Correct me if I'm wrong but is there not controversy over how good a commander Thrawn really was?
There is no controversy that he was the greatest military commander in the Star Wars galaxy.
Calling Thrawn the Greatest Military Commander in SW is giving him too much credit. He was certainly a Very Good commander, but a select few oversights prevent him from achieving the title of 'Mulhammed Ali of the Imperial Admiralcy'.

Of course, Thrawn kicks the shit out of Kahn anyway. Kahn is too passionate, and falls into traps too easily.
The Kernel
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Kernel »

Stofsk wrote: Calling Thrawn the Greatest Military Commander in SW is giving him too much credit. He was certainly a Very Good commander, but a select few oversights prevent him from achieving the title of 'Mulhammed Ali of the Imperial Admiralcy'.
Fine, name a better one then. You can't argue with results and Thrawn was the only one who actually was able to wage and extended campaign against the NR and decisively defeat them in combat repeatedly. His oversight with regards to the Noghri was unfortunate, but that was more of an inherited blunder then anything else.
Stofsk
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stofsk »

The Kernel wrote:
Stofsk wrote:Calling Thrawn the Greatest Military Commander in SW is giving him too much credit. He was certainly a Very Good commander, but a select few oversights prevent him from achieving the title of 'Mulhammed Ali of the Imperial Admiralcy'.
Fine, name a better one then. You can't argue with results and Thrawn was the only one who actually was able to wage and extended campaign against the NR and decisively defeat them in combat repeatedly. His oversight with regards to the Noghri was unfortunate, but that was more of an inherited blunder then anything else.
Thrawn's primary goal at Sluis Van was a complete failure, and he was outsmarted by a couple of smugglers and an X-wing squadron. He secured the Katana fleet; however, his supply for their crews was left unprotected, and an infiltration team was all that was required to destroy the Spaati cylinders. Finally his ambush at Bilbringi was well intuited, but unfortunately his boasting about potential victory is left 'up in the air' so to speak, when upon his death Pellaeon decided to withdraw. If his ambush had supremacy, then the NR should have been the one to withdraw. Ackbar IIRC never even considers it. The Noghri blunder wasn't so much 'inherited' as it was 'perpetuated'. Finally, a group of smugglers also embarass his forces yet again in TLC, with the attack on the Bilbringi shipyards.

He does make impressive inroads, I never denied that. I just don't think he's lighter than a butterfly, and stings like a bee. ;) Like I said, he's a Very Good commander, and certainly one of the best, but he wasn't The Greatest. He may have been the Greatest Imperial Grand Admiral, but that's a distinction you didn't make.
Prozac the Robert
Jedi Master

Post by Prozac the Robert »

Thrawn is not perfect, but I can't think of anyone better myself.

(Well, Palleon might get my vote for best imperial leader (haven't read the NJO books though, so I wouldn't know if he later turns into a complete idiot), simply for knowing when it's time to talk peace. This is completely irelevant though.)
Hi! I'm Prozac the Robert!

EBC: "We can categorically state that we will be releasing giant man-eating badgers into the area."
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

There is, as far as I know, nothing to suggest that he's the best of the Grand Admirals. Any Grand Admiral was considered a very nasty prospect by the NR. The others seemed to either decide they didn't want to fight and retire, or were killed by that time.

I don't recall anything suggesting that he was the top dog of Grand Admirals, just the most loyal.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
The Kernel
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Kernel »

Stofsk wrote: Thrawn's primary goal at Sluis Van was a complete failure, and he was outsmarted by a couple of smugglers and an X-wing squadron.
Which was due mainly to an oversight and the shear luck of the NR that the man with the Moleminer codes was there.
He secured the Katana fleet; however, his supply for their crews was left unprotected, and an infiltration team was all that was required to destroy the Spaati cylinders.
Thrawn didn't want to move any serious hardware to Wayland as it would have endangered the secrecy of its location. Once again, it was shear luck that the NR found it AND came at a time when C'Boath tried his little rebellion.
Finally his ambush at Bilbringi was well intuited, but unfortunately his boasting about potential victory is left 'up in the air' so to speak, when upon his death Pellaeon decided to withdraw. If his ambush had supremacy, then the NR should have been the one to withdraw. Ackbar IIRC never even considers it.
First, even after the smuggler fleet attack they were still in a position to win, Pellaeon simply wasn't a commander capable of directing such a huge battle. Pellaeon said himself that Thrawn could have still pulled a victory out of it, but he wasn't Thrawn.

As for Ackbar retreating, no shit he didn't consider it. That might have had something to do with the Interdictor Cruisers. ;)
The Noghri blunder wasn't so much 'inherited' as it was 'perpetuated'.
What do you think he should have done? Admit the truth to the Noghri? Fix the problem and apologize? Either way would have led to a massive upheaval.
Finally, a group of smugglers also embarass his forces yet again in TLC, with the attack on the Bilbringi shipyards.
Once again an amazing coincidence that just happens to turn the tide in the NR's favor. :roll:
He does make impressive inroads, I never denied that. I just don't think he's lighter than a butterfly, and stings like a bee. ;) Like I said, he's a Very Good commander, and certainly one of the best, but he wasn't The Greatest. He may have been the Greatest Imperial Grand Admiral, but that's a distinction you didn't make.
Name a better one. Are you forgetting that he was dealing with superior forces during his campaign against the NR? Are you also forgetting that during his campaign in TLC he captured dozens of sectors and went up against the best the NR had to offer (including Bel Iblis) and still kicked their ass?
Bob the Gunslinger
Has not forgotten the face of his father

Post by Bob the Gunslinger »

STRAAAAAAAHAAAAAAAAAAA! wrote:Straha, you blood sucker, you're not going to be able to father any children, do you hear me? DO YOU?

I've done far worse than reply to you. I've quoted you. And I wish to go on ...quoting you.

Seriously, this is the funniest variation of "castrate straha" I've seen. Normally I'm against the idea, but when you say it with Kirk's voice, somehow the idea becomes so... authoritative.

Ans Thrawn would win, but Khan would never forget his face.
"Gunslinger indeed. Quick draw, Bob. Quick draw." --Count Chocula

"Unquestionably, Dr. Who is MUCH lighter in tone than WH40K. But then, I could argue the entirety of WWII was much lighter in tone than WH40K." --Broomstick

"This is ridiculous. I look like the Games Workshop version of a Jedi Knight." --Harry Dresden, Changes

"Like...are we canonical?" --Aaron Dembski-Bowden to Dan Abnett
Darksider
Sith Acolyte

Post by Darksider »

Another poll?

:::::Looks up at sky:::::

[Kirk]STRAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA[/kirk]

Kahn's arrogance would be his downfall.

Thrawn takes this one.
And this is why you don't watch anything produced by Ronald D. Moore after he had his brain surgically removed and replaced with a bag of elephant semen.-Gramzamber, on why Caprica sucks
Vice Admiral
Redshirt

Post by Vice Admiral »

I forgot, is there another title higher than Grand Admiral?
"Wouldn't it be wonderful if everyone renounced violence forever? I could then conquer the whole stupid planet with just a butter knife."

"It is always good men who do the most harm in the world."
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Vice Admiral wrote:I forgot, is there another title higher than Grand Admiral?
The Emperor :wink:
Praxis
Sith Acolyte

Post by Praxis »

Stofsk wrote: Thrawn's primary goal at Sluis Van was a complete failure, and he was outsmarted by a couple of smugglers and an X-wing squadron.
OMG! He failed at Sluis Van because a couple of smugglers BLEW UP DOZENS OF ENEMY SHIPS BEFORE HE COULD CAPTURE THEM!
I don't call that a failure. I call that a half-victory. The enemy lost a LOT, Thrawn lost nothing more than a few TIE fighters. He was a bit disappointed that he didn't get to CAPTURE all those ships, but he succeeded in getting rid of them.
Praxis
Sith Acolyte

Post by Praxis »

As for best of the grand admirals, it was stated in the Thrawn books, however the Emperor kept him hidden because he didn't want to let people know he had promoted a non-human to such high rank.

Remember Mara Jade? "He has no weaknesses, no favorite strategies" etc etc?

Remember that he once told the Emperor he wouldn't carry out an attack because it would not succeed? The Emperor locked him away, carried out the attack anyway, and it got wiped out. This happened twice, and finally the Emperor learned to listen to Thrawn.
Stofsk
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stofsk »

Praxis wrote:
Stofsk wrote:Thrawn's primary goal at Sluis Van was a complete failure, and he was outsmarted by a couple of smugglers and an X-wing squadron.
OMG! He failed at Sluis Van because a couple of smugglers BLEW UP DOZENS OF ENEMY SHIPS BEFORE HE COULD CAPTURE THEM!
I don't call that a failure. I call that a half-victory. The enemy lost a LOT, Thrawn lost nothing more than a few TIE fighters. He was a bit disappointed that he didn't get to CAPTURE all those ships, but he succeeded in getting rid of them.
NO, Han Solo deliberately crippled the ships which a) the NR couldn't prevent from being captured and b) were Thrawn's primary strategic goal. Had he taken those ships, he would have had an increase to his arsenal. Preventing him from taking that away was a defeat suffered by Thrawn.

Thrawn's primary goal was capture - he failed to secure this. Ergo, he suffered a defeat at Sluis Van. Note those ships weren't 'blown' up, they were severely disabled but NOT DESTROYED. Thrawn needed ships for his war machine, Han Solo denied him this goal.
Stofsk
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stofsk »

The Kernel wrote:Name a better one.
Look, I can't name a better one - but that's not the point. Thrawn is a worthy opponent and I like him as a villain, but that doesn't mean I'm gonna forget about some of the mistakes he made; being the 'greatest' implies infallability, and I know that isn't true in Thrawn's case. He made mistakes. He was overconfident, he didn't secure his flank on Mt Tantiss when he should have (it was the key to victory), he overrated the Noghri's loyalty too much which was highly risky and eventually spelt his doom.

Now, you attribute some of his failures to bad luck, however when you consider the complicated planning that went into some of his operations that went FUBARed, luck can only push it so far; and I am *not* saying it can be attributed to incompetence, but rather overextension and arrogance.

Take the Sluis Van operation: you attribute that failure to bad luck, while I look at it and see a resourceful smuggler noticing something that no-one else would notice, and putting 2 and 2 together. Calling it bad luck doesn't exonerate Thrawn from it; a failure is a failure. He failed to achieve his strategic goals, and was forced to withdraw. I'm *not* saying he's a 'bad leader' because of it, I'm just saying he's not as great as some make him out to be ie "Thrawn rulz all!!!11". And FUCKING A-RIGHT. That's how it SHOULD be. Thrawn having faults makes him a realistic character.
Are you forgetting that he was dealing with superior forces during his campaign against the NR? Are you also forgetting that during his campaign in TLC he captured dozens of sectors and went up against the best the NR had to offer (including Bel Iblis) and still kicked their ass?
No, of course I'm not. Did I say anywhere that Thrawn was incompetent? No, I didn't. Actually, I said the reverse: he made impressive accomplishments for someone who had little to work with.

I also don't recall Thrawn kicking the arses out of the best the NR had to offer. Bel Iblis and Ackbar provided some stirring resistance, and at no point was there ever a decisive engagement; almost always it was a back-and-forth chess match between Thrawn and the rest of the NR, with sometimes Thrawn losing a few pieces due to good movements from the NR. Bilbringi may have been the turning point, but we'll never know. At the time Thrawn was confident of victory, while all the NR forces were surprised at the ambush; but then, he was also confident that the Noghri wouldn't betray him, and that Mt Tantiss would never be discovered - so take whatever you will with a grain of salt. There's too little data to go on with that particular event.
The Kernel
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Kernel »

Stofsk wrote: Look, I can't name a better one - but that's not the point. Thrawn is a worthy opponent and I like him as a villain, but that doesn't mean I'm gonna forget about some of the mistakes he made; being the 'greatest' implies infallability, and I know that isn't true in Thrawn's case. He made mistakes. He was overconfident, he didn't secure his flank on Mt Tantiss when he should have (it was the key to victory), he overrated the Noghri's loyalty too much which was highly risky and eventually spelt his doom.
No, the greatest in the SW universe implies that there isn't a better one and I haven't seen a better one have you? I didn't say he was infalible, no one is truly without some error.
Now, you attribute some of his failures to bad luck, however when you consider the complicated planning that went into some of his operations that went FUBARed, luck can only push it so far; and I am *not* saying it can be attributed to incompetence, but rather overextension and arrogance.
Luck can push it quite far when you are dealing with the character shields of Han, Lando, Leia and Luke. No fucking fictional character has better ones then these four.
Take the Sluis Van operation: you attribute that failure to bad luck, while I look at it and see a resourceful smuggler noticing something that no-one else would notice, and putting 2 and 2 together. Calling it bad luck doesn't exonerate Thrawn from it; a failure is a failure. He failed to achieve his strategic goals, and was forced to withdraw. I'm *not* saying he's a 'bad leader' because of it, I'm just saying he's not as great as some make him out to be ie "Thrawn rulz all!!!11". And FUCKING A-RIGHT. That's how it SHOULD be. Thrawn having faults makes him a realistic character.
Sure, and not having faults made the NR quartet a very boring contrivence. Anyways, what the heck are the chances that Solo and Lando would have shown up at Sluis Van during the attack anyways? Out of all the millions of worlds, they just happened to stop there during an Imperial attack that must have lasted a few hours at most. :roll:
I also don't recall Thrawn kicking the arses out of the best the NR had to offer. Bel Iblis and Ackbar provided some stirring resistance, and at no point was there ever a decisive engagement; almost always it was a back-and-forth chess match between Thrawn and the rest of the NR, with sometimes Thrawn losing a few pieces due to good movements from the NR.
He beat Bel Iblis at Qat Crystak and Thrawn achieved his goals during the Battle for Couruscant. Those were the only two direct matchups between the two that I am aware of.
Bilbringi may have been the turning point, but we'll never know. At the time Thrawn was confident of victory, while all the NR forces were surprised at the ambush; but then, he was also confident that the Noghri wouldn't betray him, and that Mt Tantiss would never be discovered - so take whatever you will with a grain of salt. There's too little data to go on with that particular event.
He wasn't confident Mount Tantiss wouldn't be discovered, he was confident that the mountain was well protected enough that it could hold off any small scale assault (true) and that the Empire would know about any large scale assault. The only reason it fell was because of the astounding luck of C'Boath going nuts and staging and insurrection at the exact same time that the NR strike team was there.
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Praxis wrote:As for best of the grand admirals, it was stated in the Thrawn books, however the Emperor kept him hidden because he didn't want to let people know he had promoted a non-human to such high rank.
It's stated that he must have been very good to be promoted to G. Admiral despite being non-human beacuase of the Emperor's dislike of non-humans. This is over-rulled by the canon. Palpy doesn't dislike non-humans and has numerous non-human minions, including a Sith Apprentice. No evidence there then.

Remember Mara Jade? "He has no weaknesses, no favorite strategies" etc etc?
That doesn't neccesserily make him the Empire's best strategist

Remember that he once told the Emperor he wouldn't carry out an attack because it would not succeed? The Emperor locked him away, carried out the attack anyway, and it got wiped out. This happened twice, and finally the Emperor learned to listen to Thrawn.
No evidence that this makes him the best of the Grand Admirals, merely a guy who stood up to Palpatine.