Stardestroyer.net Has Got To Go

SWvST: the subject of the main site.

Moderator: Vympel

Battlegrinder
Redshirt

Stardestroyer.net Has Got To Go

Post by Battlegrinder »

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Stardest ... k=timeline

Wow, what'd you guys do to make this guy so bitter? I'd be somewhat impressed by the level of vitroy he's throwing out....if I wasn't too busy laughing.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Re: Stardestroyer.net Has Got To Go

Post by Batman »

So, just out of idle curiousity, what are our nefarious anti-Trek operations? I'm inclined to sign up for them just to see what they're like.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Without having watched any of his video "exposees" I have to ask - does this guy have a life? A girlfriend? Getting that worked up about a web forum like this is pretty pathetic.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Also, what's up with this bizarre deadline he's giving?
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Broomstick wrote:Also, what's up with this bizarre deadline he's giving?
March 02, 2017 appears to be when the stardestroyer.net URL expiers.. Unless it gets renewed.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

This forum only has two more years to live? :(
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

No, this forum has only two more years to live if Mike decides he's had it (and I suspect if Mike does decide he's had it he could kill the board a lot sooner.)
2017 is when this board dies if Mike no longer cares about keeping it up, nothing more.
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
SCRawl
Has a bad feeling about this.

Post by SCRawl »

I suggested to the guy that he offer Mike a bunch of money -- like $10,000 -- and I bet Mike would sell him the domain. Then he went on and on about how the site is bad for the world, yadda yadda yadda. His theory is that if that deadline comes and goes he'll go to Mike's ISP and demand that they take his site down, to which I replied that he's insane if he thinks that an ISP will refuse to take someone's money because some it espouses a take on various science fiction franchises that he finds objectionable. The KKK has a website. SWvST doesn't move the needle.

So he deleted my comments, of course.
73% of all statistics are made up, including this one.

I'm waiting as fast as I can.
Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

I find it somewhat depressing that this doesn't come as a surprise.
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

His theory seems to be:
- The stardestroyer.net domain expiers on March 02, 2017
- Therefore, if stardestroyer.net is still up on March 3, then there is something illegal going on. Something that the domain registrar, Network Solutions, won't like. So he will bring it to their attention and they will take action.

Clearly he doesn't know that domain name registrations can be renewed. Which means he is in for a big shock come March 3 2017. Naturally, it will be seen as further proof of a conspiracy.
Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

One wonders why if there is something illegal with SDN being up and about...how come nobody noticed in the 12 years and change it has been around?
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

SDN's domain expires on my 25th birthday? Probably a coincidence....
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
SCRawl
Has a bad feeling about this.

Post by SCRawl »

This person seems to think that when presented with the evidence of the toxicity of this site's content, the ISP will feel compelled to turn away Mike's business. There might be people out there who believe that, but such people probably feel at their best with a layer of aluminum foil between their skulls and the aliens.
73% of all statistics are made up, including this one.

I'm waiting as fast as I can.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

You forgot the stylish bubble-wrap jacket to complete the protective ensemble.

Patroklos
Sith Devotee

Post by Patroklos »

He's been at it for over a year apparently and he has 13 likes. He can't even rally the ST fanbois.
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Do any masses of ST fanboys remain to be rallied ?
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

bilateralrope wrote:Do any masses of ST fanboys remain to be rallied ?
there's plenty of fanboys left for ST most of them just don't care enough to actually do something like this and are more then willing to preach to an echo chamber.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

That is hilarious. :lol:

Edit: Aaaaaand blocked. What a coward. :lol:
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
Phil Skayhan
Jedi Knight

Post by Phil Skayhan »

True story: This evening, I was randomly curious about Gamergate and was reading this HuffPost article regarding online harassment which has the following:
7) Karen Traviss, the only woman writer of Star Wars books, was bullied, through a series of "screaming ranting videos" until she stopped writing them.
Cue Obi-Wan: Now there's a name I've not heard in a long time. A long time.

There is a link embedded in the line which I thought would lead to these videos (or at least a description of them) and a background of the purported harassment of Karen Traviss. But it leads to an article wherein Traviss is not mentioned once. But I wondered, with all the current attention on cyber-bullying, had someone somewhere written an article about this?

So I googled "was karen traviss harrassed", and scanning the results... force.net... starfleetjedi.net... Oooh the Guardian! Nope that just about her writing for "Gears of War3"... the HuffPost article I started with.... StarDestroyer.Net's disgusting BBS Forum...Wait, what?

Oh what a delight! I don't think I laughed this hard and long in quite some time. At my best, or even cruelest, I could not have written a portrait of a trekkie that comes close to this.

To paraphrase Chuck's review of Flash Gordon:
This character is not just a trekkie, he uses a trekkie as his canvas, and uses bright buckets of goofy fandom delivered Timothy Jones style. That he manages to put these videos out there without being even the slightest bit self-aware, without the slightest hint of parody, without a smidgen of winking to the audience, is a testament to what is, in its own sad way, a kind of genius. Creating videos with this precise level of ridiculousness, no more no less, requires a hand that could successfully sew a bird's head onto a dog's tail and make it live.
Oh, thank you internet. Thank you!
Happily married gay couples with closets full of assault weapons. That's my vision for America
Ted C
Sith Marauder

Post by Ted C »

Funny, Traviss apparently doesn't say in her blog that she was harassed out of writing SW novels; she says it was a business decision: "She writes in her blog that it is a combination of continuity issues and too much on her plate with her non-SW novels. It appears that the SW books are not her main source of income as far as being a writer and the SW books are too much for her to make a living with." (a fan's summary, since reading her blog requires a password)
"This is supposed to be a happy occasion... Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who."
-- The King of Swamp Castle, Monty Python and the Holy Grail

"Nothing of consequence happened today. " -- Diary of King George III, July 4, 1776

"This is not bad; this is a conspiracy to remove happiness from existence. It seeks to wrap its hedgehog hand around the still beating heart of the personification of good and squeeze until it is stilled."
-- Chuck Sonnenburg on Voyager's "Elogium"
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

Ted C wrote:Funny, Traviss apparently doesn't say in her blog that she was harassed out of writing SW novels; she says it was a business decision: "She writes in her blog that it is a combination of continuity issues and too much on her plate with her non-SW novels. It appears that the SW books are not her main source of income as far as being a writer and the SW books are too much for her to make a living with." (a fan's summary, since reading her blog requires a password)
Wasn't Traviss the one who was lambasted for claiming there were only 3 million clone troopers in the Clone Wars? AFAIK this was covered pretty thoroughly in the Pure Star Wars subforum at the time.
Captain Seafort
Jedi Council Member

Post by Captain Seafort »

EnterpriseSovereign wrote:Wasn't Traviss the one who was lambasted for claiming there were only 3 million clone troopers in the Clone Wars? AFAIK this was covered pretty thoroughly in the Pure Star Wars subforum at the time.
Partially. It was when she started fantasising about ripping people's tracheas out that things really went downhill.
Phil Skayhan
Jedi Knight

Post by Phil Skayhan »

Ted C wrote:Funny, Traviss apparently doesn't say in her blog that she was harassed out of writing SW novels; she says it was a business decision: "She writes in her blog that it is a combination of continuity issues and too much on her plate with her non-SW novels. It appears that the SW books are not her main source of income as far as being a writer and the SW books are too much for her to make a living with." (a fan's summary, since reading her blog requires a password)
Yes, and while searching the other night I found nothing where Traviss is quoted as saying that her separation from Star Wars was anything other than what you referenced from her blog. This "being driven from Star Wars" does not appear to have come from her.
Happily married gay couples with closets full of assault weapons. That's my vision for America
lord Martiya
Jedi Master

Post by lord Martiya »

Well, I have to thank this guy. I was in a bad mood due a bunch of self-righteous idiots transforming a peaceful march in a riot here in my city, but now, thanks to his FB page, I can laugh again.
Joun_Lord
Jedi Master

Post by Joun_Lord »

Yeah that was her reason for leaving. It was apparently to do with much of works being rendered non-canon or semi-non-canon or something like that thanks to the higher canon Clone Wars series going against her portrayals of defective clones and probably most butt-hurtingly the Mandalorians and their planet. I think the canon masters tried to make it right by saying the pacifist civilized Mandalorians living in their cube cities on bombed out wasteland were on a different planet or different part of the planet then the wannabe Klingon warrior primitive wannabes living in a jungle as portrayed by Traviss but she had already had enough and was more interested in screwing up Halo and Gear of War.

She was writing for Star Wars well after the blow-up over her minimalism, threats against fans, and subsequent fandom schism. She wasn't forced out either, making the "she was forced out" thing really dumb.

Plus she is by no means the only female Star Wars author. Just a 5 second google search comes up with Patricia Wrede, Elizabeth Hand, Karen Miller, Ann C. Crispin (who sadly died in 2013, she was a great author), Martha Wells, Barbara Hambly, Vonda McIntyre, Kristine Kathryn Rusch, Nancy Richardson, Rebecca Moesta, Kathy Tyers, Elaine Cunningham, and Christie Golden.

Traviss was certainly one of the most prolific unfortunately and quite memorable for all the wrong reason but its insulting to all these other fine authors and Vonda McIntyre to just ignore their contributions to Star Wars that now amount to jack all.