New Republic vs. Galactic Empire

SWvST: the subject of the main site.

Moderator: Vympel

keen320
Youngling

Re: New Republic vs. Galactic Empire

Post by keen320 »

SancheztheWhaler wrote:And how many languages is the universal translator unable to translate, hmm? Or did you forget about that?

I can't say I'm shocked that you don't think there would be any problems with cultures separated by 20,000+ years of technological growth would have cultural differences; I'm guessing you also struggle with understanding why a Saudi might view things differently from a Canadian. Those cultural differences are on the same planet, not separate galaxies.
MA only mentions three times the universal translator had problems translating the speech of humanoids. It's main failings are with extremely unusual languages of humanoids, but this can be overcome with sufficient time (a day or less), or only applies to words with no clear grammatical parallel. Non-humanoid aliens are the main hurdle, but even those aren't always beyond it's ability. And all the translator has to figure out is basic, which is presumably structured to be as easily understood as possible. That's why it's called Basic!

The cultural differences aren't really that bad, because the culture of the Star Wars galaxy is thought up by a bunch of modern western authors and screenwriters. Yes, they might have cultural differences, but they wouldn't make it impossible to work together. And Starfleet is quite experienced in getting past cultural differences, considering how many different cultures they meet and have accepted.
Purple wrote:Well, there we meat the first problem. You see, it might not be too hard to train someone to shoot a blaster or pilot a star fighter to some reliability. But once you get to the more complex tasks you will be out of luck. Starfleet engineers who have spent their entire lives studding technology will find them self as the tech equivalent of script kiddies. They will have to learn completely new electronics, computer science, materials science hell even completely new physics. And this is not something you can make up for easily.
I'm willing to accept that this could be... difficult, although I'll bet there are instances in the EU where someone with little modern wars knowledge picks these things up pretty fast. Mostly I'm just annoyed that Sanchez seems unwilling to admit they could even do as much as you say.
Big Phil
BANNED

Post by Big Phil »

keen320 wrote:I'm willing to accept that this could be... difficult, although I'll bet there are instances in the EU where someone with little modern wars knowledge picks these things up pretty fast. Mostly I'm just annoyed that Sanchez seems unwilling to admit they could even do as much as you say.
Tell you what, whiner. You point me to an African bushman or Amazon tribesman who was pulled out of his or her society in early adulthood and became an engineer, a scientist, or a medical doctor (trained to modern standards), and I'll concede the point.
In Brazil they say that Pele was the best, but Garrincha was better
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

keen320 wrote:I'm willing to accept that this could be... difficult, although I'll bet there are instances in the EU where someone with little modern wars knowledge picks these things up pretty fast. Mostly I'm just annoyed that Sanchez seems unwilling to admit they could even do as much as you say.
You seem to fail to understand my point.
I am not talking about someone learning how to pick up a hydro spanner and replace a coolant valve on his assigned X wing. Hell, with simple training I could probably do it.

What I am talking about is the big things. Understanding the underlaying physics of how the machines work. Manufacturing replacement parts and even new machines. Things like that. You don't have to understand how a car works to drive it. And you don't have to understand the phisics behind it to make simple repairs. But for anything beyond that you have to be a fully trained mechanical engineer. And that is the kind of people the rebels would really lack.

The RA would mostly be populated by disgruntled personel from various outer rim worlds, defectros from the imperial fleet and army and what not. In those terms they have a nigh infinite supply of simple, undertrained forces that can be brought up to combat level quickly. They don't have to go recruiting in the AQ to get those.

What they would lack and have to put actual effort into acquiring is the kind of people that make the star fighters and blasters and the facilities to do so. You know, people with actual skill beyond what can be trained in a few months/years. And that is exactly what they can not get in the AQ because AQ science and engineering is not up to the task of manufacturing them.

Furthermore there is absolutely no telling what would happen to the culture and society of AQ powers if they were suddenly introduced to superior technology like Hyperdrives. Can you imagine an ancient roman who's fastest means of transportation for the common man was a horse (warp 2 shuttle) getting introduced to a bullet train (hyperdrive). The cultural ramifications would be astounding. The introduction of SW technology might break the society from the ground up. For one, we know it would render all the AQ militarize obsolete over night and bring any of the more militaristic governments down simply by pulling the proverbial carpet under their legs.

By the time the rebels get to actually cleaning up that mess and down to recruiting they will have wasted so much time on something they can get much easier and cheaper from back home.
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

You win. There, I have said it.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
Baffalo
Jedi Knight

Post by Baffalo »

Purple wrote:
You seem to fail to understand my point.
I am not talking about someone learning how to pick up a hydro spanner and replace a coolant valve on his assigned X wing. Hell, with simple training I could probably do it.

What I am talking about is the big things. Understanding the underlaying physics of how the machines work. Manufacturing replacement parts and even new machines. Things like that. You don't have to understand how a car works to drive it. And you don't have to understand the phisics behind it to make simple repairs. But for anything beyond that you have to be a fully trained mechanical engineer. And that is the kind of people the rebels would really lack.

The RA would mostly be populated by disgruntled personel from various outer rim worlds, defectros from the imperial fleet and army and what not. In those terms they have a nigh infinite supply of simple, undertrained forces that can be brought up to combat level quickly. They don't have to go recruiting in the AQ to get those.

What they would lack and have to put actual effort into acquiring is the kind of people that make the star fighters and blasters and the facilities to do so. You know, people with actual skill beyond what can be trained in a few months/years. And that is exactly what they can not get in the AQ because AQ science and engineering is not up to the task of manufacturing them.

Furthermore there is absolutely no telling what would happen to the culture and society of AQ powers if they were suddenly introduced to superior technology like Hyperdrives. Can you imagine an ancient roman who's fastest means of transportation for the common man was a horse (warp 2 shuttle) getting introduced to a bullet train (hyperdrive). The cultural ramifications would be astounding. The introduction of SW technology might break the society from the ground up. For one, we know it would render all the AQ militarize obsolete over night and bring any of the more militaristic governments down simply by pulling the proverbial carpet under their legs.

By the time the rebels get to actually cleaning up that mess and down to recruiting they will have wasted so much time on something they can get much easier and cheaper from back home.
I would normally be on the side of Star Trek just to promote the underdog, but I'm afraid that, as an engineering student, I must agree with the statements above. In theory, you can reverse engineer any piece of technology, given enough time. However, that assumes you have the ability to reproduce that technology, let alone understand how it works. An example was given to me by a person who was once my friend and now is just known as an ignorant hick. He was reading a book where a bunch of guys from the Klan went back to the civil war with AK-47s to give to the confederates so they could win. WTF!?!

The same situation can be seen here. Modern rifles are extremely delicate and precise, and rely on things that back in the civil war simply weren't that common. Sure, the self-contained cartridge was seen on the battlefields, but it was comparatively primitive given our own ammunition. Not only that, but the reason most rounds of that caliber (7.62mm) have a full-metal jacket FOR A REASON: the lead tends to tear itself apart going that fast and ends up being next to useless. So now, not only have you got to figure out how to produce an entirely new ammunition, you've got to figure out how to encase the lead in copper!

Ok, that's just the bullets. You've got to mass-produce them too, which is something that is next to impossible even with their own technology! I'm from Arkansas living in Louisiana, and I love the South, but even I know that we didn't have anything close to that kind of manufacturing back then. I'm sorry, but that's just not happening. So unless they came back with trucks of ammunition, they're going to run out of bullets. Fast. And if one breaks, you're fucked, because they'd need a team of gunsmiths to figure out what fucked up and how they're going to fix the damned thing, which will soon be rendered useless anyway by the lack of ammunition!

The same parallels are here. Introducing advanced technology does nothing if there's no infrastructure to support it. We can deliver tons and tons of supplies to third world nations but without a viable infrastructure, you're not doing a thing to fix the problem. It's a short-sighed solution with no real end. If the Republic or Empire delivered a brand new starcruiser to the AQ powers, one each, and told them they could do whatever they wanted, more than likely they'd just man the thing and try to blast each other to bits because things like hypermatter are things that are completely unknown to Starfleet.

The only way the Republic could help would be if they sent an army of professors and engineers to teach the AQ powers everything beginning in grade school. Geordi LaForge said he went to Zephram Cochran High and learned about the engineering principles of warp drive in college. I learned the basics of electricity in high school and I'm learning about electrical engineering now in college. Believe me that if they suddenly came out with a better way of transmitting power using unicorn piss, I'd be out of a job before I even left college, because my training is for something entirely different and is now obsolete.
"I subsist on 3 things: Sugar, Caffeine, and Hatred." -Baffalo late at night and hungry

"Why are you worried about the water pressure? You're near the ocean, you've got plenty of water!" -Architect to our team
keen320
Youngling

Post by keen320 »

I'm half afraid to admit it, but I read that book (The Guns of the South, by Harry Turtledove) last year because it seemed like a hilarious concept. I found the cover, showing Robert E. Lee holding an AK-47, irresistible.
Baffalo wrote:He was reading a book where a bunch of guys from the Klan went back to the civil war with AK-47s to give to the confederates so they could win. WTF!?!
That's what made me want to read it.

For one thing, they weren't Klansmen, they were Afrikaners who were mad about the end of Apartheid. And they actually did supply trainloads of ammunition and rifles, as well as modern food supplies, which they had somehow stockpiled over a period of 10-20 years. They also gave the soldiers basic training in using and maintaining their rifles, and presumably supplied spare parts.

Also, the AK-47 is about the only assault rifle you might be able to do this with. It was made to be used by Russia's conscript army just after WW2, and they considered reliability of paramount importance. AK-47s have been successfully fired after being buried in mud without any cleaning whatsoever. IIRC they can be buried in sand or mud for a year and still function the minute they're unburied.

While the book was certainly implausible, but that wasn't the main reason why.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

You can't do that with any assault rifle unless you're bringing along either a lot of modern infrastructure and the people who know how to use it or ridiculous amounts of ammunition and spare parts.
Of course, that scenario presupposes you actually get the South to use AK-47s when at the time, military minds were wary of repeating rifles as it were :D
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Metahive
Sith Devotee

Post by Metahive »

How about using the ST galaxy as additional production and staging grounds? Having the resources of an entire additional galaxy available could prove to be crucial in a conflict that divides the main SW galaxy and give one side the means to simply out-produce the other, although getting to that point would be a long-term investment. It could also be used as a fortified position to fall back on in case the war in the main galaxy goes badly. There certainly are uses to having another galaxy brought so near into the immediate vicinity.
However, that presumes that there's just one wormhole and its position being known to only one side.
People at birth are naturally good. Their natures are similar, but their habits make them different from each other.
-Sanzi Jing (Three Character Classic)

Saddam’s crime was so bad we literally spent decades looking for our dropped monocles before we could harumph up the gumption to address it
-User Indigo Jump on Pharyngula

O God, please don't let me die today, tomorrow would be so much better!
-Traditional Spathi morning prayer
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

Metahive wrote:How about using the ST galaxy as additional production and staging grounds?
As a staging grounds perhaps, but the outer rim is just as good really.
Having the resources of an entire additional galaxy available could prove to be crucial in a conflict that divides the main SW galaxy and give one side the means to simply out-produce the other
The issue is that the powers from trek have not been exploiting like 1% of what the Empire does in their galaxy.
Your assumption is like if in WW3, Russia invaded some backwater rural country that still uses wooden plows and oxen and with no industry and 1 mine so that they can use the massive mines and tank factories there to double their tank production.
although getting to that point would be a long-term investment.

Emphasis on the long, so weary long. Longer than the entire history of the Federation.
It could also be used as a fortified position to fall back on in case the war in the main galaxy goes badly. There certainly are uses to having another galaxy brought so near into the immediate vicinity.
If that happens, the sheer industrial power of the Empire would become unstoppable.
And besides, if that happens the battle is already lost. Keep in mind that the rebels are resistance fighters, not a full fledged foreign army. They rely on the support of the local population. If the Empire can drive them out of the galaxy and have a century or two to pacify the population through propaganda (and that is how much it would take for the rebels to build AQ up to standards that would allow them to use it as a meaningful industrial base) than the battle is lost already. The galactic population will not support the rebels any more and the Empire will be too entrenched to ever dislodge.
However, that presumes that there's just one wormhole and its position being known to only one side.
And than there is that too.
keen320 wrote:snip
I think you are underestimating the problem.
Not only can they not produce ammunition, but we are not talking about a whole different level.
It is in fact plausible that if the confederates had been supplied by an external source with AK's and munitions they could have won the revolutionary war.

But imagine if instead the Africans had give the confederate army AK's and sent them to fight the modern US army. See the issue?
The rebels would have to supply their own ships, weapons, supplies, star fighters and everything else. Hence the only thing of value they can acquire is troops. And those they can get from their own galaxy in greater numbers and with less investment.
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
Metahive
Sith Devotee

Post by Metahive »

I thought it was New Republic vs Imperial Remnant, but o well.
Purple wrote:Your assumption is like if in WW3, Russia invaded some backwater rural country that still uses wooden plows and oxen and with no industry and 1 mine so that they can use the massive mines and tank factories there to double their tank production.
I was thinking more of Peter the Great claiming the lands beyond the Ural and how it paid off eventually in WW2 when the means of production were moved there. Long term investment indeed. Would rather obviously not pay off for the Rebel Alliance.
People at birth are naturally good. Their natures are similar, but their habits make them different from each other.
-Sanzi Jing (Three Character Classic)

Saddam’s crime was so bad we literally spent decades looking for our dropped monocles before we could harumph up the gumption to address it
-User Indigo Jump on Pharyngula

O God, please don't let me die today, tomorrow would be so much better!
-Traditional Spathi morning prayer
Purple
Sith Acolyte

Post by Purple »

Metahive wrote:I thought it was New Republic vs Imperial Remnant, but o well.
Purple wrote:Your assumption is like if in WW3, Russia invaded some backwater rural country that still uses wooden plows and oxen and with no industry and 1 mine so that they can use the massive mines and tank factories there to double their tank production.
I was thinking more of Peter the Great claiming the lands beyond the Ural and how it paid off eventually in WW2 when the means of production were moved there. Long term investment indeed. Would rather obviously not pay off for the Rebel Alliance.
Either way, we agree than. Long term indeed.

Connor MacLeod
Sith Apprentice

Post by Connor MacLeod »

1.) I have no doubts Fed folk (or any other ST race) could in theory operate SW tech if language isnt an issue, even if some training is required. Operating or using tech is different from understanding the underlying principles, being able to reproduce it independently in your own tech base, or reverse-engineering it, though, and I don't think the Feddies could easily do that, no matter how hard one waves around their "magic ability to work/adapt/improve" tech that is often touted as an ability (which only exists anyhow because ST technology is literally magic under a different name and technobabble terms being the incantations.) Let's keep "using" and "reseraching" separate.

2.) From an economic POV ST tech doesn't neccesarily have to be "better" to be worthwhile - being different could work (simple novelty might very well be a selling point. What if it becomes a status symbol to have a holodeck or transporter or warp drive?) Some aspects of ST tech could, if they somehow manage to incorporate it into existing SW tech, be useful (warp field mass reducing could have impacts in the shipping and commercial, depending on how it works) Phasers could be a rather effective "shipboard" weapon as they can potentially do lots of damage to living targets without damaging surrounding equipment (although one imagines phaser particles could also make a very nasty "Neutron bomb" type weapon - kill the organic stuff and leave the property intact) Depending on how costs go relative to hyperdrive, warp drive could have economic benefits in civilian ventures, but I could bet that in military ventures it could be useful (disregarding some of the more fantastical abilities ascribed to warp tactics, it DOES allow for some interesting mobility options that it would be harder to pull off with hyperdrive - some of which precisely BECAUSE warp is arguably slower.)

And replicators? WE know they aren't magic (they require energy input AND raw material stock, so no magic "energy to matter" conversion stuff.) but for all intents and purposes they are no more revolutinoary than any sort of automated fabrication capacity (Think coruscant construction droids or world devastators.) or anything a civilization could do with sufficiently miniaturized robotics. The only diffrence is in the method of construction (it uses magic sparkly tech bits) which could be useful in some areas. AGain novelty or "being different" may be sufficient economic incentive for it even if cost/efficiency isn't better than SW analogues. Same with holodecks and holograms in general, really.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Batman wrote:
keen320 wrote:Not exactly. While I realize you're exaggerating, the Rebel Alliance is a bit more advanced than Iraqi Insurgents.And no matter how powerful Star Wars tech may be compared to Trek tech, it doesn't make the Federation like a bunch of Cro-Magnons.
Actually, technology wise, yes it does.
Thing is, Star Trek societies are full of people who are capable of functioning in technological society. It's not as if the average user of technology in Star Wars is ten times smarter than someone from Star Trek.

The tools (and tools to make the tools, and tools to make the tools to make the tools, and so on) in Star Wars may be vastly more sophisticated, but their use requires very few skills that someone from the Federation would not already understand or be able to readily learn. They're not cavemen who panic when a TV screen starts talking to them, they know how to pull the trigger on a personal energy weapon, and so on.

So the fact that they're not going to be setting up factory complexes to compete with people from the Galaxy Far Far Away is economically relevant, but not a factor that prevents them from being sucked into a larger war as one small part of it.

Put this way: if the Rebels find a random backwater planet that offers them a million recruits, even technologically unsophisticated recruits, they're liable to accept. They might just hand the guys the blaster-equivalent of Saturday Night specials and send them off on forlorn hope missions to make trouble, but they'll accept the offer.

What does it matter which galaxy the planet is located in, so long as they can get to it? You can still train them to use Star Wars hardware, regardless of whether the planet has the industrial base to make the stuff. Star Wars hardware simply isn't that hard to use, just as we see people in backwaters that could never make a car and can barely manage automatic weapons piling troops into technicals and sending them off a-raiding.
More like the Professor on Gilligan's Island making stuff out of bamboo. It may be pathetic by comparison, but it's still difficult to manufacture, and just as difficult, if not more so, to operate, repair and maintain.
Um-no. Anything you can make out of unrefined natural resources without the need for anything but hand tools if that is INFINITELY more easy to repair, operate and maintain than even bronze age stuff, nevermind 'Trek leave alone Wars tech levels (possibly excepting the 'operate' on the bronze age level as the Professor will have inferior materials but superior knowledge).
You're missing something. "Difficulty" here is measured in terms of intellectual effort, not machining tolerances.

What you can build in Star Trek is mostly very limited compared to Star Wars. How much personal competence is required, not so much. You still need people who would be smart and capable in Star Wars to do difficult jobs in Star Trek: do not mistake crude useless technology for crude useless people.
Batman wrote:
Star Wars stuff is probably easier to use than Trek stuff is, it does mostly the same basic stuff, it just does everything better. And it's increased capabilities would make it easier to use than what they're used to.
Because of-what, exactly? Why would a 200GT MTL be inherently easier to use than a, say, 1.05GW phaser?
Because either way, the damn thing has to be usable by gun crews who were trained on so and so many hours' notice. The tools change between the settings far more than the men do.

The Rebellion has a background of accepting people with little or nothing on their resumé- Luke's in particular was practically blank when they gave him an X-Wing and trusted him with proton torpedoes for the Death Star run; he may have been a magical prodigy but they didn't have much evidence of it at the time. So I wouldn't be surprised to find Feddies turning up in the Rebel ranks, just as I wouldn't be surprised to see members of random alien species doing the same. Not unless we drop an ironclad language barrier over the Star Wars setting, which you can do as a declaration of Plot, but are under no obligation to do.

They won't make any real strategic difference, mind; they'd just be different names and faces on a roster. But they'd show up.
Purple wrote:Let us say that the translator works perfectly.
Now, let us also assume that technology is as easy to use as you say. After all, how hard can it be to point a blaster at someone and pull the trigger right?

Well, there we meat the first problem. You see, it might not be too hard to train someone to shoot a blaster or pilot a star fighter to some reliability. But once you get to the more complex tasks you will be out of luck. Starfleet engineers who have spent their entire lives studding technology will find them self as the tech equivalent of script kiddies. They will have to learn completely new electronics, computer science, materials science hell even completely new physics. And this is not something you can make up for easily.
[/quote]No, it's not.

But remember, Star Wars fleets take people with minimal technical background and turn them into crewmen for starships in a matter of years; if they didn't they wouldn't be able to crew their ships. You can increase the sophistication of the technology a thousandfold, but you can't increase the number of training hours needed to learn to use it a thousandfold.

That imposes a limit on just how hard it will be for whatever scattering of enthusiastic young Feddies sign up under the rebel phoenix to contribute. If they were as useless as so many cavemen, how could enthusiastic young farmboys of the same basic personality and intelligence, from worlds nearly as primitive, learn the same?

So, again, you'd see a scattering of random Feddies among the rebel ranks. Nothing much would change as a consequence; it would be a singularly unremarkable aspect to a war with far more interesting features.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Darth Tedious
Jedi Master

Post by Darth Tedious »

The Rebellion has a background of accepting people with little or nothing on their resumé- Luke's in particular was practically blank when they gave him an X-Wing and trusted him with proton torpedoes for the Death Star run; he may have been a magical prodigy but they didn't have much evidence of it at the time.
Actually, Luke's skill as a pilot made him perfect for the Death Star attack. He used to do runs down Beggar's Canyon in his T-16 back home, and bull's-eye womprats on the fly (they're not much bigger than two meters, I'll have you know). Could there be a better practice scenario for the Death Star run? And all without a targeting computer! Some of his old buddies from Tatooine (who joined the Rebellion previously) would have been able to attest to these skills. Hardly a blank resumé.

Compare this to Random Redshirt #362, whose main skills consist of:
- Being cannon fodder.

I know who I'd hire.
"Darth Tedious just showed why women can go anywhere they want because they are, in effect, mobile kitchens." - RazorOutlaw

"That could never happen because super computers." - Stark

"Don't go there girl! Talk to the VTOL cause the glass canopy ain't listening!" - Shroomy
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Trek medical technology may also be of value to Wars for trading. Most Wars medical tech is 'real' things with technobabble on the beginning. Vibro/laser scapels. Bacta bandages and so forth. While full scale bacta immersion is much more effective when dealing with serious injuries. Dermal regenerators seem to have an edge when dealing with smaller injuries and scars. We see Dukat remove a bajoran woman's scar in seconds in DS9. Whereas in the EU. scar removal is said to require a very expensive 'bacta abrasion' treatment.
Ritterin Sophia
Sith Acolyte

Post by Ritterin Sophia »

Crazedwraith wrote:Dermal regenerators seem to have an edge when dealing with smaller injuries and scars. Whereas in the EU. scar removal is said to require a very expensive 'bacta abrasion' treatment.
Say what? I thought medpacs typically included synthflesh specifically for that.
A Certain Clique, HAB, The Chroniclers