NuBorg v.s Star Wars

SWvST: the subject of the main site.

Moderator: Vympel

Demiurgas
Padawan Learner

NuBorg v.s Star Wars

Post by Demiurgas »

Somehow, The Bog assimilate every single living canon being in Star Trek. Now with their new technology and biological distinctiveness, can they conquer much of SW?

By the way, in order to avoid pedantry, I'm going to say that NO, "Every living canon being" does NOT include Organians, Q, Douwd, or anything else of that nature in Star Trek.
Temujin
Jedi Master

Re: NuBorg v.s Star Wars

Post by Temujin »

And I'm going to say no, as aside from the "god-like aliens" you mentioned, nobody else even comes close to the tech level of Star Wars. All this is going to do is give the Imperials more targets to practice on.
Mr. Harley: Your impatience is quite understandable.
Klaatu: I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it.
Mr. Harley: I'm afraid my people haven't. I'm very sorry... I wish it were otherwise.

"I do know that for the sympathy of one living being, I would make peace with all. I have love in me the likes of which you can scarcely imagine and rage the likes of which you would not believe.
If I cannot satisfy the one, I will indulge the other." – Frankenstein's Creature on the glacier[/size]
Demiurgas
Padawan Learner

Post by Demiurgas »

So the numbers, tech-of-the week, + Species 8472 being assimilated wouldn't add anything to the table?
Soontir C'boath
SG-14: Fuck the Medic!
Location: Queens, NYC I DON'T FUCKING CARE IF MANHATTEN IS CONSIDERED NYC!! I'M IN IT ASSHOLE!!!

Post by Soontir C'boath »

No, because they are relatively at the same tech level with one another. Combining a multitude of races that have weapon technology in the megaton range isn't going to suddenly bring forth weapons that will operate in the gigaton+ range as SW is in. Also the Borg is akin to a parasite; they take not create.
I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who constantly says: "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action"; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a "more convenient season."
Demiurgas
Padawan Learner

Post by Demiurgas »

This is true, but Species 8472 can simulate a Death Star blast with 9 ships. :Shrugs:
Serafina
Sith Acolyte

Post by Serafina »

Well, that's like asking: "If we combine the weapons technology from everyone at 1500 AD, how will they fare against the US army?" Of course, they will be slightly better than before - but combining these various technologies for swords and primitive metal armor won't given them rifles, machine guns, tanks, planes or nukes.
It's the same here. They will gain some more gimmicks, but combining several kiloton/low-megaton weapon technologies won't give you gigaton technology.

This is true, but Species 8472 can simulate a Death Star blast with 9 ships. :Shrugs:
No, they can't. They can simulate it with at least one special ship and eight other, perhaps normal, ships.
And when i say "simulate" i mean "be many orders of magnitudes weaker" and "start a chain reaction that takes about a minute to blow up a planet and will do squat against shields".
Really, if the ships had only (1/8^8)th (about 1/16million) of the firepower they needed to blow up the planet, they would rip trough everything in the ST-galaxy - it would be 1E21 joules - a Sovereign class can absorb a maximum of 200,000 TJ (over a longer period of time) - that's ~1E18 J. In other words, a single Species-ship would destroy a Sovereign-class a thousands times over - or even more, since all that energy would go into the shield at once. But we do not see that happening. Hence, it must be a chain reaction that is not practical against shielded targets - and important imperial planets are shielded.
SoS:NBA GALE Force
"Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent." - Sir Nitram
"The world owes you nothing but painful lessons" - CaptainChewbacca
"The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of a mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one." - Wilhelm Stekel
"In 1969 it was easier to send a man to the Moon than to have the public accept a homosexual" - Broomstick

Divine Administration - of Gods and Bureaucracy (Worm/Exalted)
Demiurgas
Padawan Learner

Post by Demiurgas »

Hmmm.... Half-Conceeded. Still, I counted 16 seconds. Not a minute to destroy a world.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4LR6Ev27FQ
Serafina
Sith Acolyte

Post by Serafina »

Demiurgas wrote:Hmmm.... Half-Conceeded. Still, I counted 16 seconds. Not a minute to destroy a world.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4LR6Ev27FQ
Doesn't really matter. It is still clearly a chain reaction (else, it would not even take a single second) and nowhere near as violent as the destruction of Alderaan.
SoS:NBA GALE Force
"Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent." - Sir Nitram
"The world owes you nothing but painful lessons" - CaptainChewbacca
"The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of a mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one." - Wilhelm Stekel
"In 1969 it was easier to send a man to the Moon than to have the public accept a homosexual" - Broomstick

Divine Administration - of Gods and Bureaucracy (Worm/Exalted)
Kodiak
Jedi Master

Post by Kodiak »

Soontir C'boath wrote:No, because they are relatively at the same tech level with one another. Combining a multitude of races that have weapon technology in the megaton range isn't going to suddenly bring forth weapons that will operate in the gigaton+ range as SW is in. Also the Borg is akin to a parasite; they take not create.
Granted I don't think we ever saw their weapons but the Voth seemed to have quite impressive technology that was tens of thousands of years beyond Trek. Even being able to travel at transwarp or move themselves in-and-out of phase would be quite an advantage to the nuBorg.
Image PRFYNAFBTFCP
Captain of the MFS Frigate of Pizazz +2 vs. Douchebags - Est vicis pro nonnullus suscito vir

"Are you an idiot? What demand do you think there is for aircraft carriers that aren't government?" - Captain Chewbacca

"I keep my eighteen wives in wonderfully appointed villas by bringing the underwear of god to the heathens. They will come to know God through well protected goodies." - Gandalf

"There is no such thing as being too righteous to understand." - Darth Wong
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

The Feds were working on Transwarp in Kirk's time and the idiots on VOY were able to jury-rig one once they got their hands on a transwarp coil so I doubt it's tens of thousand of years ahead of Federation technology. They can transport a shielded Intrepid. A bit bigger than what AQ has done but technology we've seen countless times before. For all we know Starfleet could built transporters that big too, but decided doors are way cheaper at letting starships into bigger spacegoing structures (like a starbase). Phasing technology is so ill-defined that it's usefulness is entirely up for grabs (all they USE it for is cloaking so maybe that's all it CAN do) AND can be countered by 24th century phasers apparently.
The Voth are definitely impressive by AQ standard but I doubt their technology would make much in the way of difference vs the Empire.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Junghalli
Sith Acolyte

Post by Junghalli »

Wasn't there a Trek race that had some rather powerful missiles (as in possibly approaching the ballpark of SW firepower), called the Drouda or something like that? Or am I misremembering?
Jake
Padawan Learner

Post by Jake »

What time period does this occur in? There are some pretty bad ass future trek species that might give the borg a chance if they are assimilated.
If you can see Chuck Norris, he can see you. If you can't see Chuck Norris, you may be only seconds away from death.
Chuck Norris' chief export is pain.
They once made a Chuck Norris toilet paper, but it wouldn't take shit from anybody.
Chuck Norris played Russian Roulette with a fully loaded revolver.... and won.
Chuck Norris can slam a revolving door.
Chuck Norris once visited the Virgin Islands. They are now the Islands.
Chuck Norris doesn't sleep, he waits.
Chuck Norris' tears cure cancer. Too bad Chuck Norris has never cried. Ever.
Demiurgas
Padawan Learner

Post by Demiurgas »

I assume it encompasses all time periods.
Jake
Padawan Learner

Post by Jake »

I take back the future thing, most of these civs, although impressive, use temporal or chain reaction weapons, which this board disapproves of.
If you can see Chuck Norris, he can see you. If you can't see Chuck Norris, you may be only seconds away from death.
They once made a Chuck Norris toilet paper, but it wouldn't take shit from anybody.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

We don't DISAPPROVE of them. They're simply essentially USELESS in this particular vs. Temporal ones mean you might win in another timeline, which the people in the timeline the conflict STARTED in couldn't possibly care less about. Chain reaction weapons are heavily material dependent and need to be able to HIT that material which means all that funky chain reaction extra power doesn't come into play against shields.
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Jake
Padawan Learner

Post by Jake »

I'm not so sure about the whole alternate time line thing. If going back into the past simply sent you into a parallel universe as opposed to affecting the present you left, then why was the temporal civil war from Enterprise such a big deal? Daniels was obviously concerned that the other factions could affect his time line.
Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

40 years worth of Trek say Trek time travel works that way. Not my fault if the writers of ENT were morons who didn't know their own in-universe history.
Jake
Padawan Learner

Post by Jake »

40 years worth of Trek say Trek time travel works that way. Not my fault if the writers of ENT were morons who didn't know their own in-universe history.
Evidence? And even if you do find some, how would this be resolved in terms of cannon?
Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

Watch the freaking series' or use the search function. And what canonicity conflict? ALL you have is Daniels being paranoid. Guess what-so was Picard in FC. ALL that shows is that people in Trek don't really UNDERSTAND how their time travel works.
Jake
Padawan Learner

Post by Jake »

Watch the freaking series' or use the search function.
You made an unproven assertion.It is your job to back it up or retract it.
ALL you have is Daniels being paranoid. Guess what-so was Picard in FC.
That just adds to my point. If the Borg time traveling won't affect his reality, why would he give a shit.
ALL that shows is that people in Trek don't really UNDERSTAND how their time travel works.
Another assertion without evidence. Also, during the temporal cold war, there are factions that can communicate through time without actually traveling back. For this to do anything meaningful, even for the communicator, this had to effect the present that initiates the communication.
Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

Fine. Let's assume time travel lets you get back into your own actual past. Guess what? It was just rendered utterly useless by default. Since the occasion that MADE you decide to go into the past to change it occurred in the first place you little time travel trip HAS ALREADY FAILED.
Jake
Padawan Learner

Post by Jake »

Paradox Machine
Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

Concession accepted.
Jake
Padawan Learner

Post by Jake »

No, seriously. The very fact that it works requires some kind of paradox machine. And the other alternative isn't pretty either, considering it violates conservation of matter and energy.
Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

Um-the Paradox Machine is Dr Who. Find me a a TREK example that contradicts branching timelines.