I need some debate help

SWvST: the subject of the main site.

Moderator: Vympel

hunter5
Padawan Learner

Re: I need some debate help

Post by hunter5 »

Even if the trends were true they could just delay every threatening species technological ability in the present presumably to increase in the future. Too bad they'll all be gone after they get erased which then destroys the system you're talking about.
Except all of those times they make the empire stronger.
They wouldn't stand a chance against the krenim weapon anymore than the empire did so why even mention it? You must want the casuality count to be as high as possible while trek's casualties are 0 in this conflict.
Why because you say so. How is this ship suppose to resupply to keep its "invincibility" core active?
Ritterin Sophia
Sith Acolyte

Post by Ritterin Sophia »

Sorry if someone's said it already, but: Krenim Time Weapon erased itself from the timeline, thus it never existed. Your argument failed before it even begins.
A Certain Clique, HAB, The Chroniclers
marsh8472
Youngling

Post by marsh8472 »

Except all of those times they make the empire stronger.
Assuming there are any they are probably few and far between. Nothing to worry about.
Why because you say so. How is this ship suppose to resupply to keep its "invincibility" core active?
Just because virtually everything you say isn't so doesn't mean something isn't so when someone else says it. We can't all be as stupid as you, believe it or not.

For the same reason why the crew don't age, the ship does not need resupply. The 2nd law of thermodynamics does not apply when they're in the temporal field protected from space-time.
Sorry if someone's said it already, but: Krenim Time Weapon erased itself from the timeline, thus it never existed. Your argument failed before it even begins.
That's pretty much said every time. Annorax is not killed and we see him working on temporal calculations at the end of the episode. The pad he was working on shows a visual that is identical to display on krenim ship bridge. What's the point of working on temporal calculations if he does not plan to erase something?

I presume that what gave annorax the desire to make the weapon was to make the krenim imperium stronger and get rid of their greatest enemy the Rilnar. Janeway said that all of history was restored after the krenim weapon was erased. We can expect that the Rilnar are back again since erasing the weapon would have erased everything that the weapon did. We see annorax with his wife again but being with his wife didn't stop him from making the weapon the first time. Basically there's nothing to suggest that he didn't make another.

Plus if you want to get technical, your argument failed before it began also since this is a "what-if" versus scenario where we assume the krenim weapon does exist to begin with.
Vehrec
Jedi Council Member

Post by Vehrec »

Ok, the Timeship doesn't make sense because:

1. It ignores the laws of cause and effect. Not the second law of thermodynamics, it blatently faunts such a fundamental concept as Causailty and spawns paradox everywhere it goes. It should break the universe. God only knows how many times the crew has killed their own grandfathers millions of years before they ever existed.

2. You can still see it despite it ignoring causality. How the hell does that one work?

3. The crew apparently doesn't need to eat or age, because someone turned off the second law of thermodynamics but apparently can remember things that happened yesterday. This is what we would call another paradox. Memory is a complex process, but it involves changing a system that should be held in stasis by the ship. Basic biological processes like memory, muscle contractions and being alive all require a net increase in entropy.

4. YOU CAN SEE CHANGES TO THE TIMELINE CAUSED BY THE TIMESHIP. This is impossible. Fancy it up however you wish, but an actual timeline change would never be notice by anyone because the universe is now and always had been different. Voyager would have driven on by without noticing. The fact that Year of Hell happened at all is enough to make me cry.

5. It should have deleted the universe when they fired it for the first time. The Big Bang, remember? All the universe compacted to a singularity? To delete anything from history, you have to delete it from the singularity, which means that the singularity itself should have been deleted, otherwise it wasn't a singularity.
ImageCommander of the MFS Darwinian Selection Method (sexual)
marsh8472
Youngling

Post by marsh8472 »

Here's a reply in regards to debating methods here: http://www.stardestroyer.net/Empire/Ess ... lysis.html

I read most of it (he doesn't say we have to use one or the other he just encourages his favorite one to be used). He prefers the suspension of disbelief approach because it's more likely to generate a conclusive answer about which one would win in a fight. In this case using the literary approach makes it pretty clear who would win. However if we do use his suspension of disbelief approach then he suggests to formulate new theories to explain inconsistencies in the footage so I'll give that a try:

The ship still has the property of being impervious to weapons that comes with being outside of space time. The property of being ageless is still there. The reason why the crew is visible and that the ship can be scanned to some degree is because the photons are allowed to bounce off of them and make them visible but the photons do not damage them since they still have the property of being impervious to weapons. In fact any matter can make contact with the vessel but it cannot damage it. We've seen no visual evidence that suggests the ship can be damaged by weapons either. It's the perfect weapon really, it has all the advantages of being outside of space-time and all the advantages of being in space-time. That's why annorax says the ship is protected from space-time.

We also know that erasing something that's not unique won't make it replaced by another such as the star destroyer coming back each time you erased it because visual evidence shows that the zaul colony did not reappear after it was erased. Once something is erased, it doesn't come back in another form.
Last edited by marsh8472 on 2010-02-18 08:56am, edited 1 time in total.
marsh8472
Youngling

Post by marsh8472 »

Although using the suspension of disbelief puts a double standard on star wars canon evidence. You'd basically be shooting yourself in the foot since it disregards authors intent then all of the statistics in the incredible cross sections don't count and just the visuals do. Now the federation can wipe them out.
Teleros
Jedi Council Member

Post by Teleros »

Personally I think the empire will be gone after just a few well planed temporal erasures.
Assuming they have the information necessary to plan those erasures, and can actually carry them out, yes. Assuming one of those erasures will include a random Star Destroyer sent on patrol? Not likely.
The weapon is outside of space-time, that's the most obvious reason why they couldn't get a lock on them.
Regular shields often (well, depending on the episode :P ) stop transporters too you know. So for that matter do a whole plethora of both artificial and natural things - we've seen electrical storms stop transporters as I recall.
Voyager vibrating doesn't help much since anyone with eyes can see the ship coming at that point.
Nonono, you misunderstand. I want you to explain to me how Annorax's ship can MAKE Voyager vibrate, given that it's not meant to be in the same space-time?
I had no doubt you would ignore the agelessness of the crew.
There are two reasons I ignore it.
1. It's irrelevant beyond, as I said, the fact that the crew will be alive for however long the job takes.
2. It doesn't make sense, because you're talking about magic shielding repairing the body, fighting off the effects of entropy, etc etc etc etc etc etc etc... well, you get the idea.
Voyager is moving at a slower speed and you don't see the krenim's shields stop voyager so paris was right about the conventional shields being weak. We don't see the ship as its being attacked to tell whether photons are going penetrating it or not.
1. As I noted, Tom Paris said (paraphrased): "the shields are weak, a photon grenade could penetrate the hull." Probably he DID just mean the shields rather than the hull, which as I noted stood up nicely to Voyager hitting it, although it obviously did enough damage to muck up their temporal core. My whole point about referring to Tom Paris & his photon grenade was, of course, completely missed by you. Or ignored, whatever.
2. We do see the ship when it is under attack, whilst its magic shielding is both up and down, and it looks identical.
Well we know erasing a comet erased all the fragments of the comet that made its way to planets and caused life to evolve even though the fragments were no longer attached to the comet.
I believe that was a calculated example, but regardless, comets striking planets causing life to emerge are in a completely different class to erasing a few pounds of gold from very large-scale processes inside a planet or planetary nebula.
no you fucktard, if a molecule was floating in space the krenim's weapon can shoot it and erase it from history thus controlling the destiny of a single molecule. Perhaps they have the ability to adjust to narrow the length of a beam to that of a molecule so that molecule erasures of all sorts can be done but they don't show this on the episode.
Assuming that by "control the destiny of a single molecule", Annorax actually meant "I can fire a really narrow beam that will only erase a single molecule", then sure.
But he wouldn't have the cultural knowledge of the people that would be created and destroyed and all the historic details being rewritten. We just have to accept that the krenim's technology has this the ability to aquire this data no matter what it is. The evidence suggests this.
Actually, in the same episode, we see Voyager get new maps of the local powers pretty damn fast, so if Annorax's ship has similarly powerful sensors (and why not, given what it does), he should be able to acquire new information from the region pretty quickly. However, that does not mean he'll be able to acquire information about a millennia-old galaxy-spanning civilisation anywhere near as quickly as with his piddling little corner of the galaxy. Hell, by the time it takes him to travel from one side to the other gathering intel, his start point may have undergone a revolution :lol: .
What you're trying to do is state that the ship is vulnerable to weapons because it is visible and can be scanned. There were things in star trek before that were in temporal flux and were still visible. The temporal agent danials had a gadget her wore on his hand that allowed him to walk through matter and yet sound waves were still able to vibrate the hairs in his ears allowing him to still hear what the crew was saying and photons were able to make contact with the rods and cones in his eyeballs allowing him to see. Yet he's able to still pass through matter.
Yes. If I can see something, then there is something there. And if I can see that something, that means that it is interacting with photons. Lasers shoot photons. Therefore, if I can see something, I can shoot it with a laser. My three year old sister understands this logic better than you.
The visuals support the weapons capabilities in many areas. The other areas you find to contradict the weapons abilities can be attributed to more ignorance of the ship's abilities. In the case of contradicting visual evidence of the ship's abilities we can turn to dialog for the final ruling. Yes,the ship is outside of space-time and impervious to weapons. Deal with it heh. You'll have to show me the site where it says to disregard writer's intent and other star trek canon sources.
I've hardly been attacking the weapon's capabilities. It gets into orbit, shoots, and there we go. What I've been attacking is its supposed invulnerability and the assumption that just because Star Wars doesn't have identical technology that its own temporal technology is useless as a defence. As for your devotion to dialogue...yeah, whatever.
Here's how we analyse sci-fi at SDN: http://www.stardestroyer.net/Empire/Ess ... lysis.html
what kind of chain-reaction weapon can destroy a planet in a matter of seconds? Unless the planet is made of anti-matter, being able to prove this would be difficult. Since it's never been proven that species 8472's weapons are chain reaction based there's no reason to think it's not just raw power. Chain reaction weapons generally don't need much power either, if this were the case then they wouldn't need the combine the power of 8 bioships to do the job.
Off the top of my head, my guess would be a variation on the chain reaction tech used in good old phasers (see main site for the NDF theory I'm talking about). Raw power however would yield a much more immediate result than what we saw. Just compare the time between the 8472 planetbuster beam hitting the planet and it exploding, and the Death Star's beam hitting the planet and it exploding. The latter is what happens when you use raw power, the former when you use, well, something else at least.
time-dilation caused by faster than light travel. http://sheol.org/throopw/tachyon-pistols.html there's a proof of why faster than light travel causes changes in the speed of time. If star wars had this problem with their propulsion then star trek must have had the problem to and this ability did not save them from being affected by the temporal shockwave.
Proof that the Federation et al use the same principles as those in Star Wars ships? Especially given how Warp drive works?
That's the result of temporal properties of the ship and the ship has a temporal disruption which causes it to affect things nearby. Okay let's say you're right and since light and scans can penetrate the temporal field then a phaser can too.
Phasers =/= lasers. They appear to be more like some kind of particle beam than anything else actually. Again, see the NDF theory page on the main site.
yes, in 5000 parsecs of krenim space it's reasonable to assume that there's at least one krenim ship traveling at warp in their space. Yet when the krenim imperium got erased there were no krenim vessels left here's the proof
Does Voyager know of the capabilities of all those vessels, beyond being able to detect them? All you've really proven is that the number of vessels has changed.
I don't see how guinan knowing about changes in time proves your point either.
Which is more likely? That you can sense a change in your own history, or that you can sense changing universes?
yes but the krenim imperium weren't able to stop annorax from changing their imperium.
So? All that means is that Annorax was powerful / fast enough to act in spite of them (never mind if he had orders or official help). My point is that people don't generally just invent something out of the blue like that, they're usually working on existing principles and science.
if that were true he wouldn't be staring at the viewscreen watching when the planets got erased.
It's slap bang in front of his chair on the bridge, and he's the commanding officer. What's the alternative - studying the floor?
That's right. The force works from a magic too. Being able to move things with a single thought and see into the future. Sounds pretty supernatural to me. I also find it hilarious that the primary argument against the krenim weapon winning is to deny the canon fact that the krenim exists outside of space-time.
1. The Force, which we don't fully understand, seems pretty supernatural.
2. Therefore the Krenim ship, which we don't fully understand, must also be supernatural.
Wait what?
actually it's not proven that the death star isn't a chain reaction weapon too. The chain reaction would be a very fast one but still a chian reaction none-the-less.
Occam's Razor says otherwise. Furthermore, the new Death Star book actually notes that the beam shunts a portion of the target's mass into hyperspace or something (I haven't read the book, just going by other comments here), which I believe requires even more energy than simple vaporisation.
sure it's the krenim vessel against the empire, it doesn't have to be with annorax. You can put holograms or robots on there if it suits you. You can even make the whole process automated.
"Sir, we've scanned the vessel but detected no lifeforms."
Leaving aside Imperial scanners for a moment, how much else are we going to have to change before the ship's ready to face the Galactic Empire :P ?
They said their territory spans 5000 parsecs meaning that it's 5000 parsecs across. Given how many worlds that are in krenim territory, 50x10x10 parsecs is irrational and shows signs of failing to comprehend basic english.
5000 parsecs across... and how wide? Or deep? This is space for god's sake. 50x10x10 parsecs was an example I gave to show how small a 5000 cubic parsec volume really is. Number of worlds within Krenim territory depends a lot on local conditions, terraforming technology, and the like.
there's no visual evidence, dialog, or information in technical manuals that supports visual shock absorbers.
Huh? We're talking about the Krenim crew not being shaken around by weapon impacts on the shields I thought. What's this got to do with that?
ok temporal field impacts look similar to shield impacts. Since this is the first time you've seen a temporal field I guess you learned something new today.
That's not the point. The point is, it's hitting something. Hitting things not in our normal space-time like that can't be done.
Voyager didn't approach it with enough force to have the same impact of a photon grenade
You're right, it had more of an impact most likely. Multi-million-ton ship + few m/s velocity = much (much much) momentum, vs pipsqueak kinetic energy imparted by photon grenades. Enough in fact for Voyager to basically crumple and explode. It looks TBH like Paris got mixed up when he said "shields are weak, grenade can penetrate the hull", and just meant the shields... obviously the hull is made of sterner stuff (or at least the front part, could Paris have meant say the more spherical parts of the ship further back?).
doesn't do much good without temporal shields, there's not canon proof that they have the knowledge necessary to build temporal shielding.
The point is that ships that can divert more power to temporal shields will be able to survive the beam. As for whether Star Wars has them... see elsewhere.
According to your retarded gold watch / mine scenario, that should probably have been enough to stop the whole planet from forming.
planets don't need gold to form.
I meant with regards to your comment on the weapon erasing the (local?) top layer of crust etc of a colonised planet when it removes the colony.
But you did say you don't care about writer's intent. It's the intent of the writer of ICS of episode 2 that the quad lasers have 200 gigatons of firepower and that is something we just don't see on film.
Urgh. The ICS books say "200GT turbolasers" or whatever. I don't care why the guy wrote that. What I care about is its level of canonicity (pretty high, not that I imagine anyone here will convince you).
When annorax erased a zaul colony, the colony was not replaced with another zaul colony. This is evidence that erasing a star destroy won't make another appear in its place. In the episode "Remember Me", things were being erased from history in the universe dr. crusher was in and they weren't instantly replaced. Everyone rationalized the losses in their own logical way. It could be as straightforward as erasing the ships and then the empire finds itself without an army.
It's a planet. Obviously in the new history after erasure, nobody went there. The idea though that you can erase ships from someone's fleet and suddenly they're without an army or whatever is so retarded I don't know whether to laugh or cry.
given some contradicting visual evidence of their current state and dialogue of dubious accuracy, I'm going to chuck out the visual evidence because it doesn't agree with my preconceived ideas of who should win.
Fixed :P .
not saying that at all, surprised you come to that conclusion heh this is some proof that star wars fans are delusional and see only what they want to see. In the best case scenarios a star destroyer or some other ship will take its place. This weapon is called a weapon for a reason though. It's alittle naive to just assume that the consequences of all possible erasures would be positive or negligible. We saw the krenim weapon never had positive results when restoring their own empire until about 200 years after they started and they were deliberately trying to make themselves what they were before. When the weapon is deliberately trying to erase the empire any reasonable person will come to the conclusion that they will succeed, especially with unlimited attempts allowed.
1. It's not a best-case scenario, it's a "most likely" scenario you idiot. If you don't have Ship A to send on patrol, you send Ship B. If Ship A never existed, you send Ship B, because, well, there is no Ship A. How is that hard to understand?
2. You won't GET unlimited attempts is our point.
just because one mission is difficult to achieve doesn't mean he cannot achieve other missions in less time. For example, if his mission was to make the krenim empire weaker then he did that right away just like he can make the empire on star wars weaker.
We're not failing, we're redefining the objective and succeeding!
Seriously.
Erasing the comet on the voyager episode stopped the formation of life on all planets in that star system. Abiogenesis is a complex process and requires a lot of time. Billions of years in fact is needed to create life, then complex life, then intelligent life, and then lifeforms capable of even acquiring space travel. Erasing the water on the planets alone would be a good start to stopping evolution from taking place.
All true, but irrelevant when you get a few turbolasers punching holes in your ship before you're in weapons range.
not really part of the crew, just one crew member. He was probably convinced that voyager would help him return to his people too. The crew probably won't revolt if they are in enemy territory like that and considering they can do something for 200 years shows something about their resolve.
Yes, and the rest of the crew valiantly attempt to restrain Obrist... no wait, they just stand by and let him do his thing.
All star trek ships have technology that solves the same problems that relativistic shielding solves. We know star trek ships are not immune to changes in history from going at warp.
Hell, it could simply be that piddling Star Trek power supplies are overwhelmed by the Krenim temporal weapon, and that they don't give out even level 1 temporal distortions because they're so damn weak.
It's obsurd to just assume that since relativistic shielding can now protect them from all temporal weapons when they plainly say that this so call shielding does not protect against weapons.
1. Star Wars doesn't use time-based weaponry, so the weaponry being referred to here is obviously regular Star Wars stuff.
2. The Star Wars wiki isn't written with crossovers in mind, so article authors wouldn't think to mention other universes.
the second in command and he wouldn't be stupid enough to do it in this case. It would be suicide.
It was suicide in the episode as well, idiot. Obrist still did it, and he had enough support from the bridge crew that they stood there and did nothing.
All they would have to do is threaten to use the weapon and let everyone know that when they do it would alter history causing their lives to be different and their own personal identities to cease to exist. The empire would raise the white flag and that would be the end of it. Easy scare tactic.
Meanwhile, on a planet the Krenim have no idea about, Empire scientists perfect a countermeasure.
Or more likely, the Krenim threaten to use it and get a turbolaser barrage in the face. Take your pick.
And you remember annorax saying "impossible, our calculations were perfect" implying that his computer system has the ability to take everythign into account.
And he's obviously a lying nutter too, given how often he mucks up the calculations and can't get it right. 200 years of failure, remember?
What's the point of working on temporal calculations if he does not plan to erase something?
A hobby? Unrelated research into cause and effect?
Basically there's nothing to suggest that he didn't make another.
Except that if he'd made another, Voyager would've been caught in an unending loop of destroying the ship only to encounter it again, only to destroy it, etc etc etc. If you can, try thinking about it.
The ship still has the property of being impervious to weapons that comes with being outside of space time. The property of being ageless is still there. The reason why the crew is visible and that the ship can be scanned to some degree is because the photons are allowed to bounce off of them and make them visible but the photons do not damage them since they still have the property of being impervious to weapons. In fact any matter can make contact with the vessel but it cannot damage it. We've seen no visual evidence that suggests the ship can be damaged by weapons either. It's the perfect weapon really, it has all the advantages of being outside of space-time and all the advantages of being in space-time. That's why annorax says the ship is protected from space-time.
Learn basic physics, moron. When light bounces off something, it imparts energy into that something. If so, then why can't a freaking big laser do the same?

I'm beginning to get bored of this now though. We've had the broken record, the failure to understand fundamental physics, the dishonesty, the arbitrary changing of conditions, and some points that are so hilariously retarded I'm practically speechless.

Incidentally, here's an idea of how the Krenim supership really worked: it was a type of phase cloak. You know, the thing that puts you "out of phase" with the rest of the universe? We've seen that objects affected by them are still subject to at least some normal stuff (like when Geordi, I think it was, was put out of phase aboard the Enterprise, he still walked on the floor, was subject to gravity, and could see and breathe). Obviously the Krenim ship uses a different and more advanced design that, to Starfleet sensors, makes it appear like it isn't part of normal space-time. Unfortunately, the Krenim phase cloak isn't perfect enough to stop other effects (although its most important one - that if protecting the crew from the changes the main weapon makes - works fine, like Voyager's temporal shields did), hence why it is visible etc.
Azron_Stoma
Padawan Learner

Post by Azron_Stoma »

As always you either miss the point intentionally and/or are just an idiot.

It changes nothing, since there is no Visual evidence AGAINST the ICS numbers and everyone has pointed out repeatedly as you try to weasel your way out like the fucktard you are, that the AOTC seismic charge is very much consistent in yield from on screen and the ICS.
marsh8472
Youngling

Post by marsh8472 »

sorry I have a meeting to go to and not much time to play.
Learn basic physics, moron. When light bounces off something, it imparts energy into that something. If so, then why can't a freaking big laser do the same?
because the krenim weapon's temporal field protects the light from normal space from impacting energy into something in the temporal field. Just like we see that they don't age there's a reason for that.

I think you're just upset because my theory doesn't make the ship weak whereas your theory just says the ship is not protected from space-time.
As always you either miss the point intentionally and/or are just an idiot.

It changes nothing, since there is no Visual evidence AGAINST the ICS numbers and everyone has pointed out repeatedly as you try to weasel your way out like the fucktard you are, that the AOTC seismic charge is very much consistent in yield from on screen and the ICS.
doesn't matter if we disregard writers intent. We don't see the star destroyer use 200gigaton weapons so no reason to think they would ever use them and if they do have them no reason to think they would use them in battle since they never have before.
Azron_Stoma
Padawan Learner

Post by Azron_Stoma »

marsh8472 wrote:doesn't matter if we disregard writers intent. We don't see the deathstar use 200gigaton weapons so no reason to think they would ever use them and if they do have them no
reason to think they would use them in battle since they never have before.
No we don't, we only see it use a 20,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 gigaton weapon on Alderaan.
Teleros
Jedi Council Member

Post by Teleros »

marsh8472 wrote:because the krenim weapon's temporal field protects the light from normal space from impacting energy into something in the temporal field. Just like we see that they don't age there's a reason for that.
If photons cannot impart energy onto something, can they even be reflected by that something at all? I doubt it, although some of the posters who frequent SLAM should know more.
marsh8472 wrote:We don't see the star destroyer use 200gigaton weapons
Idiot. You would not get nuclear fireballs in space from a 200GT explosion, especially if you've got shields that can handle much (if not all) of the energies involved.
marsh8472 wrote:if they do have them no reason to think they would use them in battle since they never have before.
We hardly get many scenes of Star Destroyers firing the main guns though, it's almost entirely light turbolasers, trench guns and the like. Possibly the RotJ fleet battle has the main guns being fired.
Ritterin Sophia
Sith Acolyte

marsh8472 wrote:doesn't matter if we disregard writers intent. We don't see the deathstar use 200gigaton weapons so no reason to think they would ever use them and if they do have them no reason to think they would use them in battle since they never have before.
No, we don't, but we do know that all forms of blaster technology from personal, to vehicle-born, to starfighter grade, and all the way up to capital ship level weaponry are variable yield weapons. Which according to canon means that the ICS is still valid unless you can show something in G-canon that explicitly contradicts it and says "We are not capable of generating that kind of energy". Given that the calculations from the ICS are actually a lot lower than the outputs we get when we scale down the size of the Death Star's main weapon this is a pretty good sign that you're a fucking tool and you're fucking wrong. You cannot say we didn't see it in G-Canon so it isn't canon and expect us to take you seriously, because the canon laws set down by Lucasfilm don't work like that and we know this because this stupid argument of yours has beeen repeated countless hundreds of times by people smarter than yourself that we mocked just as hard. Hell, it's so often used there's an entire page dedicated for one idiot. It's been explained to you before, but apparently you're too much of a God damned moron to realize this.
Vehrec
Jedi Council Member

Post by Vehrec »

marsh8472 wrote:In this case using the literary approach makes it pretty clear who would win.
Literary analysiss like 'good guys always win?' Because they don't you know. Actually, going by a literary analysis, the Timeship is doomed to fail because it is a exercise in paradox and the butterfly effect, it's captain is the classic Tragic Hero who creates his own predestined downfall no matter how hard he tries to overcome it. From a literary standpoint, he can never win and his ship is doomed to fail no matter who wields it.
However if we do use his suspension of disbelief approach then he suggests to formulate new theories to explain inconsistencies in the footage so I'll give that a try:

The ship still has the property of being impervious to weapons that comes with being outside of space time. The property of being ageless is still there. The reason why the crew is visible and that the ship can be scanned to some degree is because the photons are allowed to bounce off of them and make them visible but the photons do not damage them since they still have the property of being impervious to weapons.
Failure of the theory right there. Photons bouncing off things means interactions. If you can see color differences, then photons are being absorbed at different wavelengths, and changing the system. Momentum is being transferred, as is energy. If it isn't. then you're violating the conservation of energy, a violation of basic physical laws so terrible that it destroys all understanding of the universe. Black is white, up is down, cats and dogs living together. If your theory requires a violation of the conservation of energy and momentum, there is something seriously wrong with it.
In fact any matter can make contact with the vessel but it cannot damage it. We've seen no visual evidence that suggests the ship can be damaged by weapons either. It's the perfect weapon really, it has all the advantages of being outside of space-time and all the advantages of being in space-time. That's why annorax says the ship is protected from space-time.
Except that such a thing is logically impossible. If soemthing is making contact with the timeship and is changed by it, the timeship must be changed as well. If this isn't true, then the thing the timeship is in contact with cannot be changed by it either. Do you see the point I'm trying to make here? Momentum is conserved. Every action has an equal and opposite reaction. Things in motion remain in motion unless acted upon by an outside force. These rules are so fundamental that they were written by an alchemist. If the ship cannot be changed then it cannot effect changes upon the outside world. Why is basic equality this so hard to understand for you?
We also know that erasing something that's not unique won't make it replaced by another such as the star destroyer coming back each time you erased it because visual evidence shows that the zaul colony did not reappear after it was erased. Once something is erased, it doesn't come back in another form.
So why didn't the colony reappear? What magical properties of the weapon prevent this from happening? What's your theory that explains basic things like that? Did it erase intent? Willpower? Population pressures on an entirely different planet? What happens to all the events that were influenced but not caused by the founding of that colony? Why shouldn't another Zaul colony have been there unless you destroyed the Zaul?
ImageCommander of the MFS Darwinian Selection Method (sexual)
marsh8472
Youngling

Post by marsh8472 »

General Schatten wrote:
marsh8472 wrote:doesn't matter if we disregard writers intent. We don't see the deathstar use 200gigaton weapons so no reason to think they would ever use them and if they do have them no reason to think they would use them in battle since they never have before.
No, we don't, but we do know that all forms of blaster technology from personal, to vehicle-born, to starfighter grade, and all the way up to capital ship level weaponry are variable yield weapons. Which according to canon means that the ICS is still valid unless you can show something in G-canon that explicitly contradicts it and says "We are not capable of generating that kind of energy". Given that the calculations from the ICS are actually a lot lower than the outputs we get when we scale down the size of the Death Star's main weapon this is a pretty good sign that you're a fucking tool and you're fucking wrong. You cannot say we didn't see it in G-Canon so it isn't canon and expect us to take you seriously, because the canon laws set down by Lucasfilm don't work like that and we know this because this stupid argument of yours has beeen repeated countless hundreds of times by people smarter than yourself that we mocked just as hard. Hell, it's so often used there's an entire page dedicated for one idiot. It's been explained to you before, but apparently you're too much of a God damned moron to realize this.
thanks for proving my point. You're trying to have your cake and eat it too. On one hand you follow canon laws which state that c-cannon is fact unless disproven on film. Then on the other hand you'll say that writer's intent isn't important in debates. The ICS attack of the clones is not even a story, it's all data writen by Curtis Saxton. And its his intent to claim they exist but no video footage that it actually exists so no reason to think it exists since we shouldn't consider writer's intent. Besides according to canon laws the fire power listed in the ICS's would just be provisionally true since g-canon can disprove it.

If we are to follow canon laws then canon laws for star trek state that dialog is considered canon and star trek reference sources all say the same thing about the krenim weapon's abilities.
Ritterin Sophia
Sith Acolyte

marsh8472 wrote:thanks for proving my point. You're trying to have your cake and eat it too. On one hand you follow canon laws which state that c-cannon is fact unless disproven on film. Then on the other hand you'll say that writer's intent isn't important in debates. The ICS attack of the clones is not even a story, it's all data writen by Curtis Saxton. And its his intent to claim they exist but no video footage that it actually exists so no reason to think it exists since we shouldn't consider writer's intent. Besides according to canon laws the fire power listed in the ICS's would just be provisionally true since g-canon can disprove it.
You act like we get to determine canon on a whim, it's the IP holder's discretion and for Star Wars it's the tier system where everything that doesn't directly contradict higher canon is canon for Star Trek Paramount has determined it's "cinemotography is canon except when we say it isn't". Regardless you miss the point, Curtis Saxton could've written that a heavy turbolaser can destroy a solar system with a single shot and it would be equally valid, much like I'm forced to accept that Luke Skywalker honestly believes Boba Fett is the greatest Jedi killer in the Galaxy. Even though there's no records of him ever having killed a Jedi at all.:lol:
If we are to follow canon laws then canon laws for star trek state that dialog is considered canon and star trek reference sources all say the same thing about the krenim weapon's abilities.
It states that what they say is canon, not that what they say is factually correct.
Formless
Sith Marauder

Post by Formless »

Even if the trends were true they could just delay every threatening species technological ability in the present presumably to increase in the future. Too bad they'll all be gone after they get erased which then destroys the system you're talking about.
Except as I already pointed out such a task would take until most stars have burned out, and requires you to magically have access to historical records that don't fucking exist anymore! Goddamn, what does it take to get you to concede anything?
They wouldn't stand a chance against the krenim weapon anymore than the empire did so why even mention it? You must want the casuality count to be as high as possible while trek's casualties are 0 in this conflict.
Prove this statement, asshole. You keep stating it axiomatically, and I'm fucking tired of it.
Most of the planets in the galaxy are colonized.
:banghead:

Learn some basic astronomy, then go back to start and try again.
There's only about 20 million sentient species to worry about.
Only 20 million sentient species? Goddamn, you just don't know when you are shooting yourself in the foot. :lol:
when you think about it, the krenim weapon would probably get away with winning without having to fire a shot. All they would have to do is threaten to use the weapon and let everyone know that when they do it would alter history causing their lives to be different and their own personal identities to cease to exist. The empire would raise the white flag and that would be the end of it. Easy scare tactic.
Oh yeah, that won't make them shoot you at all, will it. :lol:

Oh, but that's right, according to you your enemies are always pussies who never take the initiative and never respond except in the way that most benefits yourself. I hope some day you try making this assumption in real life and get someone's foot in your groin because they refuse to be threatened or blackmailed.
The only time their calculations were off was when voyager had temporal shielding.
Then why is it they failed their mission for 200 years, fucktard? You cannot ignore this point, it undermines every fucking thing you say.
And you remember annorax saying "impossible, our calculations were perfect" implying that his computer system has the ability to take everythign into account.
Then why is it they failed their mission for 200 years, fucktard? You cannot ignore this point, it undermines every fucking thing you say.
Plus there's that time when annorax first used the weapon to erase their enemy but a year later a disease broke out and killed his wife but those consequences weren't shown until a year after he used the weapon.
And this proves your conclusion that the computer takes everything into account is bullshit and you know its bullshit. Or should, if you could stop getting off on your timeship fantasies long enough to engage your brain.
That's pretty sick even for a gay basterd like you :-D
:finger:

You think that's clever? Go to hell, you homophobic cunt.
"Still, I would love to see human beings, and their constituent organ systems, trivialized and commercialized to the same extent as damn iPods and other crappy consumer products. It would be absolutely horrific, yet so wonderful." — Shroom Man 777
"To Err is Human; to Arrr is Pirate." — Skallagrim
“I would suggest "Schmuckulating", which is what Futurists do and, by extension, what they are." — Commenter "Rayneau"
The Magic Eight Ball Conspiracy.
Teleros
Jedi Council Member

Post by Teleros »

You're trying to have your cake and eat it too.
Coming from you that's priceless.
On one hand you follow canon laws which state that c-cannon is fact unless disproven on film. Then on the other hand you'll say that writer's intent isn't important in debates. The ICS attack of the clones is not even a story, it's all data writen by Curtis Saxton. And its his intent to claim they exist but no video footage that it actually exists so no reason to think it exists since we shouldn't consider writer's intent. Besides according to canon laws the fire power listed in the ICS's would just be provisionally true since g-canon can disprove it.
Book: "These ships have 200 GT turbolasers." <== Not writer's intent. There is no intent anywhere in this sentence in fact.
Author: "These ships have 200 GT turbolasers. It says so in my book." <== Not writer's intent, because there is no intent here, just the author stating what is in the book.
Author: "It was meant to be a 50MT nuke going off even though the blast shown was sub-kiloton." <== Writer's intent, is not valid evidence.
Author: "That 26 second fireball is meant to be a 50MT nuke going off." <== Writer's intent, is not valid evidence. Even though it's accurate (50MT nuke fireballs actually DO last ~26 seconds).
Clear?
Dialogue is canon in the sense that, having appeared in an episode, it was dialogue that was said (let's keep it simple & ignore differences between script & episode).
Dialogue is not canon in the sense that, because a character in an episode says it, it must be true and accurate. Having looked up the ST canon policy on Memory Alpha, I can see no mention of this concept anywhere. Probably because it's the sort of concept only lying Trektards could pull out of their arses.
DrStrangelove
Youngling

Post by DrStrangelove »

marsh8472 wrote:of course, but making it weaker eliminates your orders of magnitude argument. The more weak they become the more manageable of a target they become until they no longer exist. You can't walk a mile without taking one step at a time.
So you admit you had to change your argument, since you initial one was unsound, and no it does not eliminate my orders of magnitude argument, since Annorax still couldn't fix the Krenim's much smaller timeline in 200 years, since his enemies would have been weaker over time as well

my assumptions are from common knowledge about the show and canon proof.
While derived from canon, your retarded interpretation is not canon, "common knowledge" doesn't constitute proof either.

depends where they are and where they need to get to. At warp 6 it would take him 300 years to travel from one side of the galaxy to another. Does this defeat them? no. The ship is outside of space time and dont' age. So why bring that up over and over?
Because you cant get it through your cum-stained mind, he has no idea where to go, it will take him forever to get there, and there is no evidence to support him being able to accomplish his mission in any sort of reasonable amount of time.

the second in command and he wouldn't be stupid enough to do it in this case. It would be suicide.
Doesn't change the fact all it takes is one traitor, and we already have canon proof there was one discontent after only 200 years trying to fix the timeline of a comparatively tiny polity

based on... what i said in that post. Go read, you know how to read right? heh.. or if you don't know how to read then yes, because I said so for the sake of argument.
That would mean support your retarded argument with additional evidence ass-maggot

I told you already. The descriptions of relativistic shielding on star wars canon sites tells you all you need to know about its lack of ability against a temporal shockwave. Fart sniffer.
Really, I didn't see where it said it didnt protect against temporal shockwaves.

That's a red haring.
Herring, ass pirate, an no its not one, as if the timeship was completely isolated from the timeline, no one like voyager would see it or detect its sensor emissions.
Star trek weapons are superior to star wars weapons.
No they are not, we know from TNG that the Ent-D struggles to put out terawatts, and the deflector dish beam used against the borg was supposed to be superior to Ent-Ds entire conventional arsenal.

The tiniest guns on a star destroyer, are capable of vaporizing asteroids tens of meters in diameter, requiring over 100 TW, and then there's the canon sources stating 3.6e24W power output for obsolescent star destroyers, which we also know were capable of directing their entire reactor output to their main guns
I know you gusy don't realize that which is why I can show that firepower isn't even needed to win against them. No need to argue about firepower here though.
Its quite relevant when one of your premises(non-interaction with timeline) and therefore everything associated with that(invulnerable to weapons) is demonstrably false
I'm not interested in preserving the status quo; I want to overthrow it. ~ Niccolo Machiavelli
You don't know the power of the dark side~ Darth Vader
hogie1
Redshirt

Post by hogie1 »

from all the things I have seen there seems to be an easy way to stop the time ship. since you can read its position with scanners but can not interact with it in the space-time area until it fires its time weapon, just use a tractor beam to hold an asteroid in its position in the space-time area the scanners say it is in.

since in the episode the time ship was in space-time area before firing its weapon, since it was rammed before it could fire its shot, putting a large chunk of matter in its coordinates would make the perfect counter to the time ship.
all i have to say Arthur is this... SPOON
Formless
Sith Marauder

Post by Formless »

That's an interesting strategy. Of course, I'm not convinced that the timeship does exist outside of space-time, since that is logically incoherent in the first place and seems to me to contradict the idea that erasing itself from time will undo everything it changed, but its good to be able to think outside the box. :)
"Still, I would love to see human beings, and their constituent organ systems, trivialized and commercialized to the same extent as damn iPods and other crappy consumer products. It would be absolutely horrific, yet so wonderful." — Shroom Man 777
"To Err is Human; to Arrr is Pirate." — Skallagrim
“I would suggest "Schmuckulating", which is what Futurists do and, by extension, what they are." — Commenter "Rayneau"
The Magic Eight Ball Conspiracy.
Darth Hoth
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Hoth »

Teleros wrote:
marsh8472 wrote:We don't see the star destroyer use 200gigaton weapons
Idiot. You would not get nuclear fireballs in space from a 200GT explosion, especially if you've got shields that can handle much (if not all) of the energies involved.
This guy probably thinks that any weapons yield with "ton" units in it is automatically going to create the same effects as explosives. So, I will try (to the best of my limited ability) to explain this in simple terms.

An explosion is, for all intents and purposes, just a cloud of hot gas that is rapidly expanding. More precisely, the gas consists of the mass that an input energy has vapourised (in the physics sense of the term, not Treknobabble). It is expanding because, as we know, vapour is less dense (and thus wants greater volumes to itself) than solids.

Now, if we simplify things like this, we see that there are two variables at work here - input energy and the material that is vapourised. The mass vapourised (and thus, the size of the explosion) for a given energy input will be heavily dependent on the material's properties.

For common explosives, most of the mass vapourised is the explosive itself. Depending on how the reaction works and how efficient it is, the explosion may look very different - compare real explosives to the gasoline that is commonly used for explosion effects in the movies, for example. If a reaction takes place on a terrestrial planet and generates enough energy, it will also heat up the air locally, causing a "fireball" of superheated gas (which is what we see with nuclear weapons detonations).

Now, the typical weapons of Star Wars (and most visual sci-fi, for that matter):

1. Are not explosives but directed energy weapons, and

2. Are used in an environment without atmosphere (deep space)

Taken together, these points mean that the only mass that is vapourised when beam hits hull is the hull material itself as it is heated up by the beam. Even assuming that this material is something we are familiar with (say, steel) this will outright eliminate "nuclear fireball" effects and greatly diminish the explosions overall.

However, since we do not know the properties of SW hull materials (which are known to include such insane things as neutronium), and thence not what energies are requisite for their vapourisation, we cannot draw any conclusions from this. Using conservative assumptions, as per above, we can establish lower limits for weapons yields, but nothing about upper such.

Oh, and if I messed things up horribly, I believe Darth Wong has a page where he explains it better, but I was too lazy to search for it :P
"But there's no story past Episode VI, there's just no story. It's a certain story about Anakin Skywalker and once Anakin Skywalker dies, that's kind of the end of the story. There is no story about Luke Skywalker, I mean apart from the books."

-George "Evil" Lucas
Teleros
Jedi Council Member

Post by Teleros »

hogie1 wrote:from all the things I have seen there seems to be an easy way to stop the time ship. since you can read its position with scanners but can not interact with it in the space-time area until it fires its time weapon, just use a tractor beam to hold an asteroid in its position in the space-time area the scanners say it is in.

since in the episode the time ship was in space-time area before firing its weapon, since it was rammed before it could fire its shot, putting a large chunk of matter in its coordinates would make the perfect counter to the time ship.
I don't recall it ever being mentioned that it had to undergo any sort of transition before firing its main weapon. The only time it definitely did leave its supposedly alternate space-time was when the temporal core was disrupted. However, that does bring up the possibility of Star Wars ships lobbing asteroids and stuff into the path of its beam instead :lol: .
marsh8472
Youngling

Post by marsh8472 »

You act like we get to determine canon on a whim, it's the IP holder's discretion and for Star Wars it's the tier system where everything that doesn't directly contradict higher canon is canon for Star Trek Paramount has determined it's "cinemotography is canon except when we say it isn't". Regardless you miss the point, Curtis Saxton could've written that a heavy turbolaser can destroy a solar system with a single shot and it would be equally valid, much like I'm forced to accept that Luke Skywalker honestly believes Boba Fett is the greatest Jedi killer in the Galaxy. Even though there's no records of him ever having killed a Jedi at all.
You cannot have your cake and eat it too. Just like Curtis Saxton can write "a heavy turbolaser can destroy a solar system with a single shot" the plot on star trek is that the krenim is protected from space time and impervious to weapons. There's no law that says we cannot use dialogs, sensor data, ship descriptions, and the writer's intent as evidence aside from the visual effects.
It states that what they say is canon, not that what they say is factually correct.

and if its canon then it's valid (you agreed). If you deny the attributes of the weapon then you've already lost.
Darth Ruinus
Jedi Master

Post by Darth Ruinus »

marsh8472 wrote:

and if its canon then it's valid (you agreed). If you deny the attributes of the weapon then you've already lost.
No, hes saying that their dialogue is canon (as in, no one disputes that they said it), but he's saying that simply because they said it doesn't mean it's true. (not factually correct)
"I don't believe in man made global warming because God promised to never again destroy the earth with water. He sent the rainbow as a sign."
- Sean Hannity Forums user Avi

"And BTW the concept of carbon based life is only a hypothesis based on the abiogensis theory, and there is no clear evidence for it."
-Mazen707 informing me about the facts on carbon-based life.
marsh8472
Youngling

Post by marsh8472 »

Darth Ruinus wrote:
marsh8472 wrote:

No, hes saying that their dialogue is canon (as in, no one disputes that they said it), but he's saying that simply because they said it doesn't mean it's true. (not factually correct)
the more people that say it, the more unlikely that it's false. Similarly just because the visuals aren't scientificly accurate does not mean they are factually false in a fictional show.