Civvies on Fed ships. Why?

SWvST: the subject of the main site.

Moderator: Vympel

2000AD
Emperor's Hand

Civvies on Fed ships. Why?

Post by 2000AD »

Can someone please tell me why they put famalies on fed ships?

From "Encounter at Farpoint":
Picard: I'm not a family man, Riker, and yet starfleet has given me a ship with children on board.
Riker: Yes sir, and famalies...

Just why the f*ck do they put famalies and children on a ship that will be going into dangerous situations?????
Ph34r teh eyebrow!!11!Writers Guild Sluggite Pawn of Chaos WYGIWYGAINGW so now i have to put ACPATHNTDWATGODW in my sig EBC-Honorary Geordie
Hammerman! Hammer!
Isolder74
Official SD.Net Ace of Cakes

Re: Civvies on Fed ships. Why?

Post by Isolder74 »

2000AD wrote:Can someone please tell me why they put famalies on fed ships?

Picard: I'm not a family man, Riker, and yet starfleet has given me a ship with children on board.

Just why the f*ck do they put famalies and children on a ship that will be going into dangerous situations?????
for a similar question what was Sisco's wife and son doing on a ship headed into battle at Wolf-359?
Hapan Battle Dragons Rule!
When you want peace prepare for war! --Confusious
That was disapointing ..Should we show this Federation how to build a ship so we may have worthy foes? Typhonis 1
The Prince of The Writer's Guild|HAB Spacewolf Tank General| God Bless America!
Evil Jerk
Moderator Emeritus
Location: In the Castle of Pain on the Mountain of Death beyond the River of Fire

Post by Evil Jerk »

In a society so soft as it became in TNG, perhaps more and more selfish crewmembers became unwilling to seperate themselves from their families and simply refused to work, and Starfleet (which seemed to be under the delusion that space travel and exploration was 100% safe) obliged.

As for a real life speculation, I can't imagine what Roddenberry was thinking. I don't care how "enlightened" humanity gets, civilians on a ship of exploration and combat that encounters peril on a regular basis is a spectacularily bad idea.
Evil Horseman, ready to torment the damned!

YOU SHALL BE AS GODS
YOU SHALL BE AS GODS
YOU SHALL BE AS GODS
Am I annoying you yet?
YOU SHALL BE AS GODS
RayCav of ASVS
Jedi Council Member
Location: Either ISD Nemesis, DSD Demeter or outside Coronet, Corellia, take your pick

Post by RayCav of ASVS »

This is seroius.....

Perhaps one reason why they do that is justification for war?

Imagine a Federation vessel instigating an incident with the Romulans, and it gets blown to pieces. The Federation can decry that the Romulans have murdered civilians and use it to rally domestic and even foreign support against the Romulans.
::sig removed because it STILL offended Kelly. Hey, it's not my fault that I thing Wedge is a::

Kelly: SHUT UP ALREADY!
Evil Jerk
Moderator Emeritus
Location: In the Castle of Pain on the Mountain of Death beyond the River of Fire

Post by Evil Jerk »

Isolder74 wrote:

for a similar question what was Sisco's wife and son doing on a ship headed into battle at Wolf-359?
I have wondered about this for the longest time, and I just think there is absolutley no excuse for taking civilians into a war zone. What did they think they'd be good for? Human shields?
Hell, the UFP can pat itself on the back for behaving like Ayatollah run Iran.

YOU SHALL BE AS GODS
YOU SHALL BE AS GODS
YOU SHALL BE AS GODS
Am I annoying you yet?
YOU SHALL BE AS GODS
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Hmm prehaps its a measure incase of DBZ or instert random shit here that Humanity can survive?

(IE prehaps they came so close to complete species annilation familes are allowed on all Starships as "insurance")

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Kelly Antilles
Sith Acolyte

Post by Kelly Antilles »

The Federation was not at war at the beginning of NG. THerefore, ships were just for exploration and THAT is why they allowed families.
Evil Jerk
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Evil Jerk »

Kelly Antilles wrote:The Federation was not at war at the beginning of NG. THerefore, ships were just for exploration and THAT is why they allowed families.
Even though exploration in ST seems to be a bit too hazardous?
For example, the Yamato incident.

YOU SHALL BE AS GODS
YOU SHALL BE AS GODS
YOU SHALL BE AS GODS
Am I annoying you yet?
YOU SHALL BE AS GODS
Kelly Antilles
Sith Acolyte

Post by Kelly Antilles »

Evil Jerk wrote: Even though exploration in ST seems to be a bit too hazardous?
For example, the Yamato incident.
According to the Federation, that's just one in a thousand chance.
pecker
Padawan Learner

Post by pecker »

Well, we only see a small part of one single ship's voyage. I'm sure normal exploratory vessels don't run into much trouble.

As for Siko's family, I think that ship was just a stopover when it got called to duty.
Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken --Tyler Durden, Fight Club

"Nothing, in religion or science, or philosophy . . .is more than the proper thing to wear, for a while." -- Charles Fort

"Evolution keeps bumping upward to new levels of creativity and surprise. We're her latest gizmos, her latest toys. Our mission, should we choose to accept it, is to throw ourselves with all our might and mane into what the universe will do with us or without us--creating new forms, new flows, new ways of being, new ways of seeing." -- Howard Bloom
neoolong
Dead Sexy 'Shroom

Post by neoolong »

Kelly Antilles wrote:The Federation was not at war at the beginning of NG. THerefore, ships were just for exploration and THAT is why they allowed families.
That still doesn't mean that families should be there. Considering the types of dangerous things that exploration has uncovered in NG, families are still consistently put in risk. The warp without warp drive episode, I think it was where they used the soliton wave, is the only example I can think of right now.

Space exploration has proven to be dangerous in Star Trek. Families should not be there.
Member of the BotM. @( !.! )@
Isolder74

Post by Isolder74 »

pecker wrote:Well, we only see a small part of one single ship's voyage. I'm sure normal exploratory vessels don't run into much trouble.

As for Siko's family, I think that ship was just a stopover when it got called to duty.
And they couldn't drop the dependants off before getting there?
That was disapointing ..Should we show this Federation how to build a ship so we may have worthy foes? Typhonis 1
Patrick Degan
Emperor's Hand

Three possibilities present themselves

Post by Patrick Degan »

There are three possible theories to explain why the Federation courts disaster in this manner:
  • Civilians on board starships is a measure to induce caution among Starfleet captains in order to curtail the rise of maverick loose-cannon officers like James Kirk and Garth of Izar.
  • It could be that Starfleet is indeed pursuing some sort of Tripwire doctrine, whereby the attack and destruction of a Federation starship by a foreign power would entail civilian deaths and thereby constitute an act of war, justifying a full military response.
  • Or, it could simply be that just about every survival instinct has been bred or conditioned out of the Federationists. They do seem to have no idea that the galaxy can be a dangerous place and that life-threatening situations are the norm, not the exception.
We have considerable support for the third hypothesis just from observing the basic attitudes of the Enterprise crew. In "Silicon Avatar", for example, Picard blathers incessantly about trying to communicate with the Crystalline Entity to persuade it to seek other sources of food so as not to endanger human lives. The CE may be a rare lifeform, but as Lord Wong pointed out, this is a dangerous animal which is killing people and it has to be destroyed to prevent further loss of life. Constrast this attitude with legendary Federation hero James Kirk, who also confronted similar rare lifeforms, worthy of exobiological study and preservation (theoretically) but which also constituted a real and present danger to human lives. Kirk saw rightly that he was dealing with dangerous animals that had to be put down. Kirk still had his survival priorities straight and acted accordingly. Whereas Capt. Picard has Dr. Marr arrested for doing exactly what any human in his right mind should have done —destroy a dangerous killer animal.

In "I Borg", Beverly Crusher doubts that the Borg and the United Federation of Planets are actually at war because "no formal state of hostilities was declared". The stupidity expressed in that statement goes beyond belief, and is subsequently compounded when more and more of Picard's officers, and even Guinan herself and ultimately Picard himself, get the warm-n'fuzzies over Hugh after feeding him for a few days and getting to know him, and subsequenly do not send him back to the Collective with the killer invasive computer programme.

In the DS9 episode, "The Jem'Hadar", Capt. Keogh of the Odyssey would actually have taken the ship's civillian contingent into the Delta Quadrant had Dax not reminded him that it might be a bad idea to do so —as subsequent events proved.

All in all, we have signs of a society which blindly courts danger and disaster with total unawareness of the hazards its citizens stupidly put themselves in the way of. This speaks of a society which has far more serious and fundamental problems than its mere conversion to communism, since even Soviet citizens were fully cognizant of survival realities.
pecker
Padawan Learner

Post by pecker »

Isolder74 wrote:
pecker wrote:Well, we only see a small part of one single ship's voyage. I'm sure normal exploratory vessels don't run into much trouble.

The lives of two civilians don't outweigh the defense of Earth. They needed those ships at Wolf 359 yesterday.
Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken --Tyler Durden, Fight Club

"Nothing, in religion or science, or philosophy . . .is more than the proper thing to wear, for a while." -- Charles Fort

"Evolution keeps bumping upward to new levels of creativity and surprise. We're her latest gizmos, her latest toys. Our mission, should we choose to accept it, is to throw ourselves with all our might and mane into what the universe will do with us or without us--creating new forms, new flows, new ways of being, new ways of seeing." -- Howard Bloom
Evil Jerk
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Evil Jerk »

Yeah, like the Vico.. or the Tsiolovsky.. or the Yamato.. or the Yosmite.
Also, consider that ships like GCSs are not only explorers, but are expected to defend the Federation, remember all those confrontations with dangerous enemies? What did Admiral Haftel say in "Offspring"? One lucky shot by a Romulan and Lal and Data are kaput? Funny how he never seemed equally concerned about the civilians.
So what? They had escape pods and shuttles, the civilians should have been evacuated by any means, deliberatley sending them into battle is gross irresponsibility.

YOU SHALL BE AS GODS
YOU SHALL BE AS GODS
YOU SHALL BE AS GODS
Am I annoying you yet?
YOU SHALL BE AS GODS
Evil Jerk
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Evil Jerk »

pecker wrote:
Isolder74 wrote:

The lives of two civilians don't outweigh the defense of Earth. They needed those ships at Wolf 359 yesterday.
Two civilians? There were more than that aboard, you can plainly see them in "Emisarry".

YOU SHALL BE AS GODS
YOU SHALL BE AS GODS
YOU SHALL BE AS GODS
Am I annoying you yet?
YOU SHALL BE AS GODS
Isolder74

Post by Isolder74 »

pecker wrote:
Isolder74 wrote:

The presance of Sisco's family indicates that they were most likely other civies there as well. anywhay how does dropping off people with Transporters delay a ship significantly?
pecker
Padawan Learner

Post by pecker »

Evil Jerk wrote:
pecker wrote:
Isolder74 wrote: And they couldn't drop the dependants off before getting there?
Two civilians? There were more than that aboard, you can plainly see them in "Emisarry".
Doesn't change the urgency of the mission. The civilians shouldn't have been there, but they made a choice as much as the crew did. Probably signed a 'no fault' contract with StarFleet before boarding.

Evil Jerk
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Evil Jerk »

pecker wrote:
Evil Jerk wrote:
pecker wrote: The lives of two civilians don't outweigh the defense of Earth. They needed those ships at Wolf 359 yesterday.
Doesn't change the urgency of the mission. The civilians shouldn't have been there, but they made a choice as much as the crew did. Probably signed a 'no fault' contract with StarFleet before boarding.
This is an assumption, at most we know that the civvies chose to be with the crew on exploration missions, as dangerous as they are, exploration missions are still a far cry from an all out WAR where the chances of survival are slim to none.

YOU SHALL BE AS GODS
YOU SHALL BE AS GODS
YOU SHALL BE AS GODS
Am I annoying you yet?
YOU SHALL BE AS GODS
pecker
Padawan Learner

Post by pecker »

'This is an assumption, at most we know that the civvies chose to be with the crew on exploration missions, as dangerous as they are, exploration missions are still a far cry from an all out WAR where the chances of survival are slim to none.'

True. But have we ever seen a civilian say 'no' when they are told the ship is going into battle? They must either not care, have signed a contract, or were indoctrinated. With the UFP, any of those is possible.

It's simple bureaucracy. Many a captain has lamented Civvies on starships. But the boys back at HQ say it's ok, so it's ok. I mean, JANEWAY is an admiral. Why do you think their policies are Fubared :)

Evil Jerk
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Evil Jerk »

pecker wrote:'This is an assumption, at most we know that the civvies chose to be with the crew on exploration missions, as dangerous as they are, exploration missions are still a far cry from an all out WAR where the chances of survival are slim to none.'

True. But have we ever seen a civilian say 'no' when they are told the ship is going into battle? They must either not care, have signed a contract, or were indoctrinated. With the UFP, any of those is possible.
I'd go for indoctrination, many times we see them show total confidence in technology that fails, ships that are proven unsafe and commanders that should be facing court martials for gross incompitence. :P
It remains however a really irresponsible move on the part of those in charge, and I'd really hope not to live with a government that views life so cheaply until the message is bashed into their heads a million times.
It's simple bureaucracy. Many a captain has lamented Civvies on starships. But the boys back at HQ say it's ok, so it's ok. I mean, JANEWAY is an admiral. Why do you think their policies are Fubared :)
I agree, Starfleet declares things to be okay without looking at the facts, it seems, and these are the results.
As for Janeway, a lot of people think they gave her a desk job to keep her the hell away from where she can really do damage, I can only hope they're that clever.

YOU SHALL BE AS GODS
YOU SHALL BE AS GODS
YOU SHALL BE AS GODS
Am I annoying you yet?
YOU SHALL BE AS GODS
Darth Wong
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Post by Darth Wong »

pecker wrote:'This is an assumption, at most we know that the civvies chose to be with the crew on exploration missions, as dangerous as they are, exploration missions are still a far cry from an all out WAR where the chances of survival are slim to none.'
Except that it's an outright lie that the Enterprise was an exploration ship. It was routinely called into battle and tense border situations, and its saucer section carried a significant portion of the ship's power generation, so its loss weakened the ship's tactical posture (see BOBW). Hence the fact that they usually carried the saucer into battle even though it was full of civilians (effectively used as human shields; the saucer generally faced their opponents and took the first hit).
A contract would be irrelevant. Contracts are not legally binding if their terms are illegal, and if the Federation had anything remotely resembling a reasonable legal system, it would not be legal for children to sign away their safety. As for indoctrination, I think the consensus seems to be that this is the only answer which makes any sense.
It's not bureaucracy; it's stupidity (or possibly evil; maybe they want the crew's family around as a lever to ensure duty and dedication).
"It's not evil for God to do it. Or for someone to do it at God's command."- Jonathan Boyd on baby-killing

"you guys are fascinated with the use of those "rules of logic" to the extent that you don't really want to discussus anything."- GC

"I do not believe Russian Roulette is a stupid act" - Embracer of Darkness

"Viagra commercials appear to save lives" - tharkûn on US health care.

http://www.stardestroyer.net/Mike/RantMode/Blurbs.html
Typhonis 1
Rabid Monkey Scientist
Location: deep within a secret cloning lab hidden in the brotherhood of the monkey thread

Post by Typhonis 1 »

also to stop possible defections .The guy leaves the Federation withoiut permission and his familky pays specially if they are on a ship
Brotherhood of the Bear Monkey Clonemaster , Anti Care Bears League,
Bureaucrat and BOFH of the HAB,
Skunk Works director of the Mecha Maniacs,
Black Mage,

I AM BACK! let the SCIENCE commence!
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Re: Three possibilities present themselves

Post by Kuja »

Patrick Degan wrote:There are three possible theories to explain why the Federation courts disaster in this manner:
  • Civilians on board starships is a measure to induce caution among Starfleet captains in order to curtail the rise of maverick loose-cannon officers like James Kirk and Garth of Izar.
  • It could be that Starfleet is indeed pursuing some sort of Tripwire doctrine, whereby the attack and destruction of a Federation starship by a foreign power would entail civilian deaths and thereby constitute an act of war, justifying a full military response.
  • Or, it could simply be that just about every survival instinct has been bred or conditioned out of the Federationists. They do seem to have no idea that the galaxy can be a dangerous place and that life-threatening situations are the norm, not the exception.
We have considerable support for the third hypothesis just from observing the basic attitudes of the Enterprise crew. In "Silicon Avatar", for example, Picard blathers incessantly about trying to communicate with the Crystalline Entity to persuade it to seek other sources of food so as not to endanger human lives. The CE may be a rare lifeform, but as Lord Wong pointed out, this is a dangerous animal which is killing people and it has to be destroyed to prevent further loss of life. Constrast this attitude with legendary Federation hero James Kirk, who also confronted similar rare lifeforms, worthy of exobiological study and preservation (theoretically) but which also constituted a real and present danger to human lives. Kirk saw rightly that he was dealing with dangerous animals that had to be put down. Kirk still had his survival priorities straight and acted accordingly. Whereas Capt. Picard has Dr. Marr arrested for doing exactly what any human in his right mind should have done —destroy a dangerous killer animal.

In "I Borg", Beverly Crusher doubts that the Borg and the United Federation of Planets are actually at war because "no formal state of hostilities was declared". The stupidity expressed in that statement goes beyond belief, and is subsequently compounded when more and more of Picard's officers, and even Guinan herself and ultimately Picard himself, get the warm-n'fuzzies over Hugh after feeding him for a few days and getting to know him, and subsequenly do not send him back to the Collective with the killer invasive computer programme.

In the DS9 episode, "The Jem'Hadar", Capt. Keogh of the Odyssey would actually have taken the ship's civillian contingent into the Delta Quadrant had Dax not reminded him that it might be a bad idea to do so —as subsequent events proved.

All in all, we have signs of a society which blindly courts danger and disaster with total unawareness of the hazards its citizens stupidly put themselves in the way of. This speaks of a society which has far more serious and fundamental problems than its mere conversion to communism, since even Soviet citizens were fully cognizant of survival realities.
I agree with Pat here. The Feddies routinely run blind into situations that could have been avoided by having a functional brain.
JADAFETWA
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Re: Three possibilities present themselves

Post by Kuja »

Patrick Degan wrote:There are three possible theories to explain why the Federation courts disaster in this manner:

I agree with Pat here. The Feddies routinely run blind into situations that could have been avoided by having a functional brain.
JADAFETWA