A question about Federation society

SWvST: the subject of the main site.

Moderator: Vympel

RayCav of ASVS
Jedi Council Member
Location: Either ISD Nemesis, DSD Demeter or outside Coronet, Corellia, take your pick

A question about Federation society

Post by RayCav of ASVS »

I am a

- planetary governor
- civilian governmet official
- average joe
- civilian elite
- military elite

I want to

- go to the other side of Federation space (long range trip)
- go to Betazed (medium range trip)
- go to Jupiter Station, from Earth (short range trip)
- go to the Moon, from Earth, and I can't take the transporter due to (technobabble) medical reasons (subwarp trip)

Assuming that Federation society is what Lord Wong makes it out to be (and I sincerely believe him), how do I get to where I want to go?
::sig removed because it STILL offended Kelly. Hey, it's not my fault that I thing Wedge is a::

Kelly: SHUT UP ALREADY!
Ted C
Sith Marauder

Post by Ted C »

You submit a request to Starfleet stating the purpose of your trip, and hope they approve it.
"This is supposed to be a happy occasion... Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who."
-- The King of Swamp Castle, Monty Python and the Holy Grail

"Nothing of consequence happened today. " -- Diary of King George III, July 4, 1776

"This is not bad; this is a conspiracy to remove happiness from existence. It seeks to wrap its hedgehog hand around the still beating heart of the personification of good and squeeze until it is stilled."
-- Chuck Sonnenburg on Voyager's "Elogium"
Evil Jerk
Moderator Emeritus
Location: In the Castle of Pain on the Mountain of Death beyond the River of Fire

Post by Evil Jerk »

For short range trips I imagine you book passage on a Federation shuttle, dignitaries and the elite, etc. can hop aboard a Starfleet ship and get ferried to where they want to go.
I assume that they have long range shuttles or transports for the average joe who wishes to travel. But who knows, the lack of much traffic above Fed worlds suggests that travel is a bit restricted other than to places like Risa.
Evil Horseman, ready to torment the damned!

YOU SHALL BE AS GODS
YOU SHALL BE AS GODS
YOU SHALL BE AS GODS
Am I annoying you yet?
YOU SHALL BE AS GODS
pecker
Padawan Learner

Post by pecker »

Evil Jerk wrote:For short range trips I imagine you book passage on a Federation shuttle, dignitaries and the elite, etc. can hop aboard a Starfleet ship and get ferried to where they want to go.
I assume that they have long range shuttles or transports for the average joe who wishes to travel. But who knows, the lack of much traffic above Fed worlds suggests that travel is a bit restricted other than to places like Risa.
Well, the reason we don't see much traffic above ST worlds could be that planet's are just so damn big. Hell, there could be hundreds of laucnhes off earht every day, so the odds of you seeing one in the 5 second beauty shot of Earth isn't too likely.

Anyway, I'd assume a shuttle and/or some sort of passenger liners (Civilian ships are mentioned in ST from time to time. Where do you think all those 'refugee ships under attack' come from?)
Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken --Tyler Durden, Fight Club

"Nothing, in religion or science, or philosophy . . .is more than the proper thing to wear, for a while." -- Charles Fort

"Evolution keeps bumping upward to new levels of creativity and surprise. We're her latest gizmos, her latest toys. Our mission, should we choose to accept it, is to throw ourselves with all our might and mane into what the universe will do with us or without us--creating new forms, new flows, new ways of being, new ways of seeing." -- Howard Bloom
Grand Admiral Thrawn
Ruthless Imperial Tyrant

Post by Grand Admiral Thrawn »

You book passage on a government ship.
"You know, I was God once."
"Yes, I saw. You were doing well, until everyone died."
Bender and God, Futurama
HemlockGrey
Fucking Awesome

Post by HemlockGrey »

Or you hop on a old, unarmed transport and head out to the far rim, where the ruthless tyrannical government is not yet fully implemented, and you live your life as mercenary/transporter.

Oh, wait, that's from a good sci-fi show.
The End of Suburbia
"If more cars are inevitable, must there not be roads for them to run on?"
-Robert Moses

"The Wire" is the best show in the history of television. Watch it today.
RayCav of ASVS
Jedi Council Member
Location: Either ISD Nemesis, DSD Demeter or outside Coronet, Corellia, take your pick

Post by RayCav of ASVS »

pecker wrote:
Evil Jerk wrote:For short range trips I imagine you book passage on a Federation shuttle, dignitaries and the elite, etc. can hop aboard a Starfleet ship and get ferried to where they want to go.
Well, the reason we don't see much traffic above ST worlds could be that planet's are just so damn big. Hell, there could be hundreds of laucnhes off earht every day, so the odds of you seeing one in the 5 second beauty shot of Earth isn't too likely.
so? where's the orbital traffic? Where are other starships the Defiant might have had to contend with in Paradise Lost?

Anyway, I'd assume a shuttle and/or some sort of passenger liners (Civilian ships are mentioned in ST from time to time. Where do you think all those 'refugee ships under attack' come from?)
"refugee ship" merely supports the point of communist governments. When was the last time you heard of a "refugee ship" leaving the US or a Western power, or Japan?
::sig removed because it STILL offended Kelly. Hey, it's not my fault that I thing Wedge is a::

Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

Ever consider just how empty space is? Ever wonder why when Senator Amidia showed up to Coriscant, there was no traffic?

ST ships can beam at ranges of a minimum of 30,000km. That means they don't have to be flying all over the atmosphere.

There might also be a bit to do with budget. We already know Earth should have a couple of space stations in orbit, and yet we only saw them when the Enterprise was near them.
"If the facts are on your side, pound on the facts. If the law is on your side, pound on the law. If neither is on your side, pound on the table."

"The captain claimed our people violated a 4,000 year old treaty forbidding us to develop hyperspace technology. Extermination of our planet was the consequence. The subject did not survive interrogation."
RayCav of ASVS
Jedi Council Member

Post by RayCav of ASVS »

Alyeska wrote:Ever consider just how empty space is? Ever wonder why when Senator Amidia showed up to Coriscant, there was no traffic?
Right now I'm wondering if you even bothered to watch EP I and II

ST ships can beam at ranges of a minimum of 30,000km. That means they don't have to be flying all over the atmosphere.
Trekkie bullshit technobabble. And they can't beam to, say, Jupiter Station. They still need ships, even if just in orbit.

There might also be a bit to do with budget. We already know Earth should have a couple of space stations in orbit, and yet we only saw them when the Enterprise was near them.
Do you mean the show's budget. You should know that doesn't fly here by now.

Evil Jerk
Moderator Emeritus
Location: In the Castle of Pain on the Mountain of Death beyond the River of Fire

Post by Evil Jerk »

Alyeska wrote:Ever consider just how empty space is? Ever wonder why when Senator Amidia showed up to Coriscant, there was no traffic?

But surely in all the times we've seen Earth and other Fed planets, it's just a little telling that we never see any significant traffic ever, or indeed any at all, that around Earth there was never a significant military presence until Endgame.

YOU SHALL BE AS GODS
YOU SHALL BE AS GODS
YOU SHALL BE AS GODS
Am I annoying you yet?
YOU SHALL BE AS GODS
RayCav of ASVS
Jedi Council Member

Post by RayCav of ASVS »

Evil Jerk wrote: But surely in all the times we've seen Earth and other Fed planets, it's just a little telling that we never see any significant traffic ever, or indeed any at all, that around Earth there was never a significant military presence until Endgame.
And that was only after advanced warning of another potential Wolf 359

pecker
Padawan Learner

Post by pecker »

RayCav of ASVS wrote:
pecker wrote:
so? where's the orbital traffic? Where are other starships the Defiant might have had to contend with in Paradise Lost?

"refugee ship" merely supports the point of communist governments. When was the last time you heard of a "refugee ship" leaving the US or a Western power, or Japan?
1) You don't realize just how big space is. There could be hundreds, if not thousand, of ship flying around, and we just don't see them in the 5 or 10 seconds we get of Earth.
2)Huh? Reugee ships in the ST sense means those running from an attack ie Tolian Soran in Generations. If California was attacked, you'd have alot of 'refugee' cars and trucks fleeing the state. Refugee ships in Trek does nothing to support Communism (Even though ST is leaning very much that way)
Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken --Tyler Durden, Fight Club

"Nothing, in religion or science, or philosophy . . .is more than the proper thing to wear, for a while." -- Charles Fort

"Evolution keeps bumping upward to new levels of creativity and surprise. We're her latest gizmos, her latest toys. Our mission, should we choose to accept it, is to throw ourselves with all our might and mane into what the universe will do with us or without us--creating new forms, new flows, new ways of being, new ways of seeing." -- Howard Bloom
Evil Jerk
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Evil Jerk »

pecker wrote:
RayCav of ASVS wrote:
pecker wrote: Well, the reason we don't see much traffic above ST worlds could be that planet's are just so damn big. Hell, there could be hundreds of laucnhes off earht every day, so the odds of you seeing one in the 5 second beauty shot of Earth isn't too likely.

1) You don't realize just how big space is. There could be hundreds, if not thousand, of ship flying around, and we just don't see them in the 5 or 10 seconds we get of Earth.
Could be, could be.
There could also be a giant dragon cracking open a delicious giant blue egg for breakfast just out of shot, too.
There is no reason that in every shot we've seen of Earth we would never see one damn civilian ship coming and going.
2)Huh? Reugee ships in the ST sense means those running from an attack ie Tolian Soran in Generations. If California was attacked, you'd have alot of 'refugee' cars and trucks fleeing the state. Refugee ships in Trek does nothing to support Communism (Even though ST is leaning very much that way)
The El-Aurian ships? Were those even UFP ships?
And even if they were, I don't see how they're at all relevant.

YOU SHALL BE AS GODS
YOU SHALL BE AS GODS
YOU SHALL BE AS GODS
Am I annoying you yet?
YOU SHALL BE AS GODS
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

Evil Jerk wrote:

But surely in all the times we've seen Earth and other Fed planets, it's just a little telling that we never see any significant traffic ever, or indeed any at all, that around Earth there was never a significant military presence until Endgame.
And we hardly ever see military traffic at Earth either. It took the Dominion war before ships were actually stationed near Earth.

And FYI I did see Ep 1&2. It did not show traffic except in the atmosphere. The actual space part showed no ships. Why? Because space is VAST and you can't see something the size of an ISD from 100km away.

Oh, transporter range of 30,000km is not bullshit, it was demonstrated multiple times. Hell, the E-D once transported someone to a planet, then transported someone else to the orbiting moon.
"If the facts are on your side, pound on the facts. If the law is on your side, pound on the law. If neither is on your side, pound on the table."

"The captain claimed our people violated a 4,000 year old treaty forbidding us to develop hyperspace technology. Extermination of our planet was the consequence. The subject did not survive interrogation."
pecker
Padawan Learner

Post by pecker »

Evil Jerk wrote:
pecker wrote:
RayCav of ASVS wrote: so? where's the orbital traffic? Where are other starships the Defiant might have had to contend with in Paradise Lost?
Could be, could be.
There could also be a giant dragon cracking open a delicious giant blue egg for breakfast just out of shot, too.
There is no reason that in every shot we've seen of Earth we would never see one damn civilian ship coming and going.
The El-Aurian ships? Were those even UFP ships?
And even if they were, I don't see how they're at all relevant.
1) I'm just saying we can't be so sure.
2) I don't think so. But anyway, what about the Kobayashi Maru? Wasn't that exercise absed on a civilian transport? I doubt they'd base a training exercise around an imaginary type of ship.

Evil Jerk
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Evil Jerk »

pecker wrote:1) I'm just saying we can't be so sure.
I'm not stating it for sure, I'm merely saying that based on the available evidence of little to no traffic, the UFP might have travel restrictions imposed, but they might not.
2) I don't think so. But anyway, what about the Kobayashi Maru? Wasn't that exercise absed on a civilian transport? I doubt they'd base a training exercise around an imaginary type of ship.
I think so, however, the simulation was created in the TOS era, where I'm sure there weree many private and civilian transports available.

YOU SHALL BE AS GODS
YOU SHALL BE AS GODS
YOU SHALL BE AS GODS
Am I annoying you yet?
YOU SHALL BE AS GODS