All Vulcan crews?

SWvST: the subject of the main site.

Moderator: Vympel

Grand Admiral Thrawn
Ruthless Imperial Tyrant

All Vulcan crews?

Post by Grand Admiral Thrawn »

Thanks to HBMC who created a similiar thread at SB.

DS9: "Take Me Out to the Holosuite" has all Vulcan ships and crews. Interesting racial seperation.

[emphasises mine]

SISKO: You're welcome to take your ship to a Vulcan station -- I think the nearest one's about fifty light years away.

SISKO: As you probably know, the Starship T'Kumbra is currently docked at the station. What you may not know is that their commanding officer considers his crew -- an all-Vulcan crew, by the way -- to be the finest in the fleet. Now, I happen to think the people sitting around this table comprise the finest crew in the quadrant.

Thoughts?
"You know, I was God once."
"Yes, I saw. You were doing well, until everyone died."
Bender and God, Futurama
RayCav of ASVS
Jedi Council Member
Location: Either ISD Nemesis, DSD Demeter or outside Coronet, Corellia, take your pick

Post by RayCav of ASVS »

Starfleet=condenscending racist bastards?
::sig removed because it STILL offended Kelly. Hey, it's not my fault that I thing Wedge is a::

Kelly: SHUT UP ALREADY!
FireNexus
Cookie

Post by FireNexus »

[q]Starfleet=condenscending racist bastards?[/q]

I think it a bit more likely that Vulcans=smug assholes with superiority complexes
I had a Bill Maher quote here. But fuck him for his white privelegy "joke".

All the rest? Too long.
Evil Jerk
Moderator Emeritus
Location: In the Castle of Pain on the Mountain of Death beyond the River of Fire

Post by Evil Jerk »

FireNexus wrote:[q]Starfleet=condenscending racist bastards?[/q]

I think it a bit more likely that Vulcans=smug assholes with superiority complexes
Only because the writers perpetuate these stereotypes.
All Vulcans are smug jerks, all Klingons are barbarians concerned with honour, etc.
Evil Horseman, ready to torment the damned!

YOU SHALL BE AS GODS
YOU SHALL BE AS GODS
YOU SHALL BE AS GODS
Am I annoying you yet?
YOU SHALL BE AS GODS
neoolong
Dead Sexy 'Shroom

Post by neoolong »

Yeah, but the real question should be, who would want to work with a bunch of smug condescending Vulcans? It may be that the Vulcans are segregated because nobody really wants to work with a bunch of them.
Member of the BotM. @( !.! )@
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

Small wonder, if they're all as open and friendly as Spock, Tuvok, and T'Pol.
JADAFETWA
Evil Jerk
Moderator Emeritus
Location: In the Castle of Pain on the Mountain of Death beyond the River of Fire

Post by Evil Jerk »

IG-88E wrote:Small wonder, if they're all as open and friendly as Spock, Tuvok, and T'Pol.
Spock was fine, don't lump him together with those anal morons.

YOU SHALL BE AS GODS
YOU SHALL BE AS GODS
YOU SHALL BE AS GODS
Am I annoying you yet?
YOU SHALL BE AS GODS
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

I'm not dissing Spock, but come on, even Kirk was nervous around him until he warmed up. And remember when he showed up in TMP?
JADAFETWA
Grand Admiral Thrawn
Ruthless Imperial Tyrant

Post by Grand Admiral Thrawn »

IG-88E wrote:I'm not dissing Spock, but come on, even Kirk was nervous around him until he warmed up. And remember when he showed up in TMP?

No. I watched TMP a total of one times.
"You know, I was God once."
"Yes, I saw. You were doing well, until everyone died."
Bender and God, Futurama
Evil Jerk
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Evil Jerk »

IG-88E wrote:I'm not dissing Spock, but come on, even Kirk was nervous around him until he warmed up.
I never noticed Kirk having a problem, it was always McCoy who got mega bugged by Spock's cool headedness.
And remember when he showed up in TMP?
Well, I remember him being somewhat cold, but he had just been through that Kolinhar thingy and all.

YOU SHALL BE AS GODS
YOU SHALL BE AS GODS
YOU SHALL BE AS GODS
Am I annoying you yet?
YOU SHALL BE AS GODS
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

He shows up on the Ent and Chekov's all smiley and full of energy ready to greet him and Spock just walks on by. He does the same thing to everyone at the bridge. Jeez.
JADAFETWA
Darth Yoshi
Metroid

Post by Darth Yoshi »

Oh come on. Spock is cool.
Fragment of the Lord of Nightmares, release thy heavenly retribution. Blade of cold, black nothingness: become my power, become my body. Together, let us walk the path of destruction and smash even the souls of the Gods! RAGNA BLADE!
Lore Monkey | the Pichu-master™
Secularism—since AD 80
Av: Elika; Prince of Persia
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

I know, I'm not dissing him. I'm just pointing out that he might not be the best candidate for "most popular crew member of the year" award.
JADAFETWA
Evil Jerk
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Evil Jerk »

IG-88E wrote:I know, I'm not dissing him. I'm just pointing out that he might not be the best candidate for "most popular crew member of the year" award.
Sure he would. One incident in TMP which is perfectly explainable doesn't count. :P

YOU SHALL BE AS GODS
YOU SHALL BE AS GODS
YOU SHALL BE AS GODS
Am I annoying you yet?
YOU SHALL BE AS GODS
Stravo
Official SD.Net Teller of Tales

Post by Stravo »

IG-88E wrote:He shows up on the Ent and Chekov's all smiley and full of energy ready to greet him and Spock just walks on by. He does the same thing to everyone at the bridge. Jeez.
IG you missed the point of those scenes. Spock was furious at himself for failing to achieve Kolinahr, so how does he display this anger wihout being angry? He goes into Uber-Vulcan mode.

This is all repaired by the end of the movie, particulalry when we see him crying for V'Ger, his final rejection of the teachings of Kolinahr. Spock knows that the complete rejection of emotion is not the path he must take. In ST II he seems to have achieved a far better balance of emotion and logic, and by 6 he is completely comfortabel with himself.. Spock without a doubt one of the BEST character on ANY Trek.
Wherever you go, there you are.

Ripped Shirt Monkey - BOTMWriter's Guild Cybertron's Finest Justice League
This updated sig brought to you by JME2
paladin
Jedi Master

Post by paladin »

Stravo wrote:
IG-88E wrote:He shows up on the Ent and Chekov's all smiley and full of energy ready to greet him and Spock just walks on by. He does the same thing to everyone at the bridge. Jeez.
IG you missed the point of those scenes. Spock was furious at himself for failing to achieve Kolinahr, so how does he display this anger wihout being angry? He goes into Uber-Vulcan mode.

This is all repaired by the end of the movie, particulalry when we see him crying for V'Ger, his final rejection of the teachings of Kolinahr. Spock knows that the complete rejection of emotion is not the path he must take. In ST II he seems to have achieved a far better balance of emotion and logic, and by 6 he is completely comfortabel with himself.. Spock without a doubt one of the BEST character on ANY Trek.
Would you say Spock was the most human of any Star Trek character?
"Single-minded persistence in the face of futility is what humanity does best." Tim Ferguson
Patrick Degan
Emperor's Hand

Judge not by caricatures and hack-writing

Post by Patrick Degan »

The main reason why the Vulcans in today's Trek productions seem so "smug and condescending" is A: the present writers are morons who cast everyone in a group as behaving and thinking all in the same way, and also that they've gotten it into their thick heads that "logical" means "smug", and B: the actors they cast as Vulcans frankly can't act worth a damn. The whole bunch of them couldn't fill the shoes of worthies such as Leonard Nimoy, Mark Lenard, Celia Lovsky, Barry Atwater, Arlene Martel, Lawrence Montange, or even Kirstie Alley. To the present actors, they've gotten it into their heads that Vulcan=Robot and play it accordingly. The lazy way. They're more caricatures than characters.

Subtlety and nuance are totally unknown concepts in the BragaTrek™ formula.
Kamakazie Sith
Emperor's Hand

Re: Judge not by caricatures and hack-writing

Post by Kamakazie Sith »

Patrick Degan wrote:The main reason why the Vulcans in today's Trek productions seem so "smug and condescending" is A: the present writers are morons who cast everyone in a group as behaving and thinking all in the same way, and also that they've gotten it into their thick heads that "logical" means "smug", and B: the actors they cast as Vulcans frankly can't act worth a damn. The whole bunch of them couldn't fill the shoes of worthies such as Leonard Nimoy, Mark Lenard, Celia Lovsky, Barry Atwater, Arlene Martel, Lawrence Montange, or even Kirstie Alley. To the present actors, they've gotten it into their heads that Vulcan=Robot and play it accordingly. The lazy way. They're more caricatures than characters.

Subtlety and nuance are totally unknown concepts in the BragaTrek™ formula.
Amen
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

Stravo wrote:

And you're missing my point. If those few scenes represent Vulcans as a whole, then small wonder they get shoved onto seperate ships. I LOVED Spock in ST4 and ST6, but if those few scenes show how the Vulcan race normally behaves, I don't think I'd want to interact with them on a daily basis.
JADAFETWA
Patrick Degan
Emperor's Hand

Careful...

Post by Patrick Degan »

IG-88E wrote:And you're missing my point. If those few scenes represent Vulcans as a whole, then small wonder they get shoved onto seperate ships. I LOVED Spock in ST4 and ST6, but if those few scenes show how the Vulcan race normally behaves, I don't think I'd want to interact with them on a daily basis.
You're essentially falling into the same trap as the BragaTrek™ writers —stereotyping. This is what causes a whole race of people —either fictional or real— to essentially be reduced to caricatures.

As for the Vulcans having their own ship in Starfleet in TOS... My understanding is that it essentially symbolised Vulcan's standing in the Federation that Earth (which at that time appeared to be the dominant power in the alliance) gave to her chief planetary partner one of her newest and most sophisticated deep-range explorer/warships.
pecker
Padawan Learner

Post by pecker »

Think about it this way:

There's enough trouble with cultural differences when they've got ONE Vulcan aboard a starship. Now let's say they get 1/2 humans, 1/2 Vulcans. The crew just isn't going to get along due to cultural differences. They won't grow as strong bonds. So when trouble comes, they can't be expected to trust/rely/work together as well. Also, it's in human nature to be xenophobic, a little bit. You wouldn't want your crew looking sideways at every alien crewmember just out of instinct.

Making homogenous crews is simply to make things run smoother.
Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken --Tyler Durden, Fight Club

"Nothing, in religion or science, or philosophy . . .is more than the proper thing to wear, for a while." -- Charles Fort

"Evolution keeps bumping upward to new levels of creativity and surprise. We're her latest gizmos, her latest toys. Our mission, should we choose to accept it, is to throw ourselves with all our might and mane into what the universe will do with us or without us--creating new forms, new flows, new ways of being, new ways of seeing." -- Howard Bloom
Evil Jerk
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Evil Jerk »

pecker wrote:Think about it this way:

There's enough trouble with cultural differences when they've got ONE Vulcan aboard a starship. Now let's say they get 1/2 humans, 1/2 Vulcans. The crew just isn't going to get along due to cultural differences. They won't grow as strong bonds. So when trouble comes, they can't be expected to trust/rely/work together as well.
The cultural differences with Spock and his human co-crew did not interfere that much, and you can't ignore the fact that Spock WAS close with his fellow crew, especially Kirk and McCoy, the one who had the most to say about their differences.
Also, it's in human nature to be xenophobic, a little bit. You wouldn't want your crew looking sideways at every alien crewmember just out of instinct.
Replace human with white, and alien with, say, black.
See how stupid that sounds.

YOU SHALL BE AS GODS
YOU SHALL BE AS GODS
YOU SHALL BE AS GODS
Am I annoying you yet?
YOU SHALL BE AS GODS
pecker
Padawan Learner

Post by pecker »

Evil Jerk wrote:

There's enough trouble with cultural differences when they've got ONE Vulcan aboard a starship. Now let's say they get 1/2 humans, 1/2 Vulcans. The crew just isn't going to get along due to cultural differences. They won't grow as strong bonds. So when trouble comes, they can't be expected to trust/rely/work together as well.
The cultural differences with Spock and his human co-crew did not interfere that much, and you can't ignore the fact that Spock WAS close with his fellow crew, especially Kirk and McCoy, the one who had the most to say about their differences.
Also, it's in human nature to be xenophobic, a little bit. You wouldn't want your crew looking sideways at every alien crewmember just out of instinct.
Spock seems to be the exception to the rule. Imagine if your cabinmate had the habit of smearing his boogers all over his face (A silly example, but think about it. And alien might consider cutting your toenails gruesome).
Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken --Tyler Durden, Fight Club

"Nothing, in religion or science, or philosophy . . .is more than the proper thing to wear, for a while." -- Charles Fort

"Evolution keeps bumping upward to new levels of creativity and surprise. We're her latest gizmos, her latest toys. Our mission, should we choose to accept it, is to throw ourselves with all our might and mane into what the universe will do with us or without us--creating new forms, new flows, new ways of being, new ways of seeing." -- Howard Bloom
Evil Jerk
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Evil Jerk »

pecker wrote:
Evil Jerk wrote:

Spock seems to be the exception to the rule. Imagine if your cabinmate had the habit of smearing his boogers all over his face (A silly example, but think about it. And alien might consider cutting your toenails gruesome).
Thinking up the most extreme example is largely pointless, since the aliens in the Federation don't demonstrate such wild differences in customs, and if they do, then I'd assume that's what the Academy partly there for, to accustom these crews to life together.

YOU SHALL BE AS GODS
YOU SHALL BE AS GODS
YOU SHALL BE AS GODS
Am I annoying you yet?
YOU SHALL BE AS GODS
pecker
Padawan Learner

Post by pecker »

Evil Jerk wrote:
pecker wrote:
Evil Jerk wrote: The cultural differences with Spock and his human co-crew did not interfere that much, and you can't ignore the fact that Spock WAS close with his fellow crew, especially Kirk and McCoy, the one who had the most to say about their differences.
Thinking up the most extreme example is largely pointless, since the aliens in the Federation don't demonstrate such wild differences in customs, and if they do, then I'd assume that's what the Academy partly there for, to accustom these crews to life together.
Well, we've only really seen two races customs in any detail, humanity and Vulcans. The others may have habits we don't know about. But that's speculation.

However, the REAL reason is quite simple: Make-up is expensive and time-consuming.