DATA Vs Grand Admiral Thrawn vs Veers vs Spock playing risk

SWvST: the subject of the main site.

Moderator: Vympel

DATA Vs Grand Admiral Thrawn vs Veers vs Spock playing risk. Who would end up ruling the world.

Poll ended at 2002-09-10 02:23pm

DATA
7%
Grand Admiral Thrawn
71%
General Maximillion Veers
No votes
Spock
2%
The game would degenerate into a fist fight
20%

Total votes: 41

Isolder74
Official SD.Net Ace of Cakes

DATA Vs Grand Admiral Thrawn vs Veers vs Spock playing risk

Post by Isolder74 »

Place these geniouses in a Risk match and who would end up ruling the world.

DATA

Grand Admiral Thrawn

General Veers

Spock
Hapan Battle Dragons Rule!
When you want peace prepare for war! --Confusious
That was disapointing ..Should we show this Federation how to build a ship so we may have worthy foes? Typhonis 1
The Prince of The Writer's Guild|HAB Spacewolf Tank General| God Bless America!
Howedar
Emperor's Thumb

Post by Howedar »

Data might have a tremendous advantage if he has fine enough muscle control to drop a 6 every time.
Howedar is no longer here. Need to talk to him? Talk to Pick.
Isolder74

Post by Isolder74 »

Howedar wrote:Data might have a tremendous advantage if he has fine enough muscle control to drop a 6 every time.
That would be cheating and would definantly cause a fight. Also it woud also be so obvious that no one would be fooled. doulbe and trip;e 6's every time remember James Bond on Octipussy
That was disapointing ..Should we show this Federation how to build a ship so we may have worthy foes? Typhonis 1
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Howedar wrote:Data might have a tremendous advantage if he has fine enough muscle control to drop a 6 every time.
I doubt the other players would let him get away with just dropping them, your really suppose to toss them into the box.

Anyway Data is a moron plain and simple. I could beat him rolling threes and lower. Veers never demonstrated any exceptional skill, though he must be fairly good to be assigned to the Death Squadron. However political reliability likely factors into that a quite a bit as well. Spock might be a master of logic, but that doesn’t make one a good strategist.

Really Thawn is the only prove stratagist hear, though many aspects warfare he takes advantage of are not modeled in Risk. I give the game to him nearly every time.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Data has a measterplan, and then discovers thrawn or veers has put a restraning bolt on him :D
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Robert Walper
Dishonest Resident Borg Fan-Whore

Post by Robert Walper »

It should be noted that in one TNG episode, it was canonly shown Data has the ability not only to throw dice to extremely favorable numbers, but alter dice that have been tampered with to make a game in favor of the hotel. Data proceeded to clean out the hotel and then bought it.

Data wins hands down. He needs only moderately good strategic skills since he'd be throwing awesome numbers every time.
Isolder74

Post by Isolder74 »

Robert Walper wrote:
It should be noted that in one TNG episode, it was canonly shown Data has the ability not only to throw dice to extremely favorable numbers, but alter dice that have been tampered with to make a game in favor of the hotel. Data proceeded to clean out the hotel and then bought it.

Data wins hands down. He needs only moderately good strategic skills since he'd be throwing awesome numbers every time.
How about we make them perfectly ballenced electronic dice the players just push a button. does that work for everyone. And NO HACKING the dice!!!!
Robert Walper

Post by Robert Walper »

Sea Skimmer wrote:
I doubt the other players would let him get away with just dropping them, your really suppose to toss them into the box.
I would think he can control how he drops dice if he can fling them across a table and get favorable numbers.
Anyway Data is a moron plain and simple.
A moron can easily win a game of Risk, because risk isn't so much about stradegy as luck. I've played Risk, I've lost an Army of fifteen pieces against two because my rolls were beaten every time. If a player, like Data can control the throw of the dice, he can win against armies massively outnumbering him.
I could beat him rolling threes and lower.
Fuck, that would be impressive since his higher numbers would win every battle whether you're attacking or defending. Numbers don't count in risk unless you are an unwillingly subject to chance, which Data isn't.
Isolder74

Post by Isolder74 »

BTW we are assuming honesty here
Robert Walper

Post by Robert Walper »

Isolder74 wrote:BTW we are assuming honesty here
Curious, is Data's ability to throw the dice to extremely favorable numbers cheating? It's an unbeatable advantage in a game like risk where the dice decide everything and nullify numerical superority, but then, so is hyperdrive in an Imperial/Federation conflict. By introducing a random generator replacing dice, which is what a game of Risk is equipped with, we're altering the rules to nullify Data's advantage. It's the equivalent of equipping Imperial ships with warp drive because their superior hyperdrive is too "unfair". You're in effect, altering the battlefield to favor other players, when the point of the battlefield is to see who wins in the first place.

The question was, who would win a game of Risk? The characters are introduced. The straight answer, Data wins because he can manipulate the dice in an inhuman manner. The dice decides who wins the game, because they can nullify numbers and stradegy. Further variables added to make the game "fair" are merely complicating the original, unaltered question.
Jim Raynor
Sith Devotee

Post by Jim Raynor »

I don't think it's unfair to replace the dice with a random number generator. After all, you're not SUPPOSED to be able to control the dice. Sure, we all have experienced battles where luck allows an army to take out a force 5 times its size, but those are the exception rather than the rule. The game is really supposed to be a test of skill, with many strategies such as initial army placement, taking continents, forming alliances (and backstabbing at the right time), taking useless countries and then retreating just for the card, etc.
Isolder74

Post by Isolder74 »

Robert Walper wrote:
Isolder74 wrote:BTW we are assuming honesty here
Curious, is Data's ability to throw the dice to extremely favorable numbers cheating? It's an unbeatable advantage in a game like risk where the dice decide everything and nullify numerical superority, but then, so is hyperdrive in an Imperial/Federation conflict. By introducing a random generator replacing dice, which is what a game of Risk is equipped with, we're altering the rules to nullify Data's advantage. It's the equivalent of equipping Imperial ships with warp drive because their superior hyperdrive is too "unfair". You're in effect, altering the battlefield to favor other players, when the point of the battlefield is to see who wins in the first place.

The question was, who would win a game of Risk? The characters are introduced. The straight answer, Data wins because he can manipulate the dice in an inhuman manner. The dice decides who wins the game, because they can nullify numbers and stradegy. Further variables added to make the game "fair" are merely complicating the original, unaltered question.
Should I have used Stragigama? Seriously this is a contest of strategy. Is it really fair to let DATA be able to alway roll a perfect die roll? True Hyperdrive gives the Empire an strategic advantage but I don't see how that justifies dishonesty. No cheqating cuase that destroys the entire contest here. DATA beats a Zackdorn at Stratigama and he didn't cheat so why would he do that here? For the last time, no cheating.
Isolder74

Post by Isolder74 »

Jim Raynor wrote:I don't think it's unfair to replace the dice with a random number generator. After all, you're not SUPPOSED to be able to control the dice. Sure, we all have experienced battles where luck allows an army to take out a force 5 times its size, but those are the exception rather than the rule. The game is really supposed to be a test of skill, with many strategies such as initial army placement, taking continents, forming alliances (and backstabbing at the right time), taking useless countries and then retreating just for the card, etc.
It's good to see someone backing up the referee
Captain Cyran
Psycho Mini-lop

Post by Captain Cyran »

Without Data being able to cheat with his dice throws I'd have to go with Thrawn because he would have counter plans to any attack the others put against him even with unlucky rolls he wouldn't be stupid enough to waste an army if he was loosing.
Justice League, Super-Villain Carnage "Carnage Rules!" Cult of the Kitten Mew... The Black Mage with The Knife SD.Net Chronicler of the Past Bun Bun is my hero. The Official Verilonitis Vaccinator
Robert Walper

Post by Robert Walper »

For the last time, being a superior dice thrower is not cheating ...

(The rest of this nauseating attempt to argue that dice manipulation is not cheating has been deleted. We've all played games which depend on rolls of the dice, and we all know that manipulating the dice rolls is cheating. Holy fuck, what an unrepentant fanboy this Walper is- Darth Wong)
Isolder74

Post by Isolder74 »

Robert Walper wrote:
Isolder74 wrote:
Robert Walper wrote:Should I have used Stragigama?
At least Data can be beat at that. From what I know of your other characters, none of them can match Data's ability to throw the dice.
you seriously think DATA fixing the dice is fair the dice in risk is simply a way to simulate usual wartime losses.and the game of risk is based on strategy not luck. Luck can win you battles but not the war.
Seriously this is a contest of strategy.
Then the game Risk was an extremely bad example, because all stradegy and numbers are dictated by dice, which can make vastly superior numbers and stradegy useless. Your question who win the game, not who would have the best stradegy. Word your questions more carefully next time.
Is it really fair to let DATA be able to alway roll a perfect die roll?
Was it fair for Data to clean out a hotel(fake that it was) using his abilities with the dice? I wouldn't call it cheating, just exceptional skill with the dice.
True Hyperdrive gives the Empire an strategic advantage but I don't see how that justifies dishonesty.
If I'm bigger than another person, have them an armwrestle and win, am I dishonest? No, I merely have superior strength, therefore my victory is assured. Data has superior coordination skills manipulating dice. Mike Wong makes this arguement about the "Star Wars vs Star Trek" and how some people whine that it is "unfair". Doesn't work that way, as long as they follow the same rules, it's a fair fight. Your other characters will be trying to throw the dice the best way they can, and so will Data. Data wins.
No cheqating cuase that destroys the entire contest here.
He's not cheating. he's simply a superior dice thrower. You stated a plain and simple question. I gave a plain and simple answer that is, to me, irrefutable. Dice decides who wins, he virtually controls the dice, therefore he wins.
Are cyou ompleately without morals?
DATA beats a Zackdorn at Stratigama and he didn't cheat so why would he do that here?
Being a superior dice thrower is not cheating. You trying to tell me Data will intentionally not throw the dice for the best numbers in order to give the others a chance to win? That simply reinforces he would win anyway!
It is too cheating
For the last time, no cheating.
For the last time, being a superior dice thrower is not cheating. That's like saying because the Empire has faster speed, bigger guns, and superior numbers, it's cheating when it kick's the Federation's ass. You said nothing about stradegy, you asked who would win. I gave the only possible answer. Data.

This is a game of stategy i guess you would really complain if i changed this to a holographic versioun so that his super human speed won't be able to add peices as he will. Cheat is dishonest, period Period
Robert Walper

Post by Robert Walper »

(Nauseating attempt to claim that dice manipulation is not cheating deleted- Darth Wong)
Isolder74

Post by Isolder74 »

Robert Walper wrote:
Jim Raynor wrote:I don't think it's unfair to replace the dice with a random number generator.
Of course it's not unfair to introduce the random number device. But introducing it after facts have become available is direct proof the original question only had one answer and that was the question I answered. Data wins.
After all, you're not SUPPOSED to be able to control the dice.
So? Data can, therefore he will, therefore he wins a game decided by dice.
Sure, we all have experienced battles where luck allows an army to take out a force 5 times its size, but those are the exception rather than the rule.
In Data's case, it would be the rule, not the exception. Only in a case where he's attacking and the victim, note subject to chance, equals his numbers would they have a win a round. I'd match others luck against his skill anyday.
The game is really supposed to be a test of skill, with many strategies such as initial army placement, taking continents, forming alliances (and backstabbing at the right time), taking useless countries and then retreating just for the card, etc.
Data's skill with the dice assures his undisputed victory in every game unless a stroke of luck favors a player with perfect rolls every single time, which would result in a draw.
Non Sequiter. You are destroyiing a discussion based on a classic game of Strategy. This is a dususion of who would be the best stratigist. Do you really think the fixing of the dice is fair. If you continue in this manner I will ingnore any further of your responces. Your dishonesty makes me wonder if you come up with the same BS if I used the game Axis and Allies. Dice are mearly a random mumber generator so using an electronic version of dice is not dishonest on my part. When I set this up I ASSUMED HONESTY. Do you want me to add a Jedi as a ref so that if data does this and the Jedi would know if he did then the Jedi would make DATA's die always come out as 1's?
Robert Walper

Post by Robert Walper »

(Yet another nauseating attempt to claim that dice manipulation is not cheating deleted- Darth Wong)
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Here we go, Thrawn orders Veers to bump the table just before every single one of Data's dice rolls thus nullfiy his advantage

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Isolder74

Post by Isolder74 »

ok.
1. I'm the ref here

2. Risk is a game of strategy. Are a mindless? So is Axis and Allies. But in a board game rules based on dice are nessicary. They generate the randomness that is inherant in all strategy games. yes 2 can beat 20 but this is the exception not the rule. Stratigma is a board game too. BTW there are also computer versions of Risk and other stratigy board games.

3. If you thought that I would allow cheating you have another think comming.

4. Do I have to explain everything? You are not only insulting my intellegence but also your own. Are you so set on DATA winning that you result in dishonesty to make him win?
Howedar
Emperor's Thumb

Post by Howedar »

Haha, talk about hijacking a thread.
Howedar is no longer here. Need to talk to him? Talk to Pick.
Isolder74

Post by Isolder74 »

Howedar wrote:Haha, talk about hijacking a thread.
Thanks, someone sees my point.
Jim Raynor
Sith Devotee

Post by Jim Raynor »

Mr Bean wrote:Here we go, Thrawn orders Veers to bump the table just before every single one of Data's dice rolls thus nullfiy his advantage
LOL. Seriously though, I just noticed the 5th option of the game degenerating into a fist fight, which would surely happen if Data were to try to fix his dice rolls. In that case, no one wins the game. So much for this "Data automatically wins" crap.
Isolder74

Post by Isolder74 »

Jim Raynor wrote:
Mr Bean wrote:Here we go, Thrawn orders Veers to bump the table just before every single one of Data's dice rolls thus nullfiy his advantage
LOL. Seriously though, I just noticed the 5th option of the game degenerating into a fist fight, which would surely happen if Data were to try to fix his dice rolls. In that case, no one wins the game. So much for this "Data automatically wins" crap.
that's excactally why its there

but I was hoping no one would pull the Perfect Dice Rolling thing