Which world has the best medicine and life expectancy

SWvST: the subject of the main site.

Moderator: Vympel

Starglider
Miles Dyson

Re: Which world has the best medicine and life expectancy

Post by Starglider »

Darth Hoth wrote:
Starglider wrote:I give Trek credit for merely trying simply because it's so rare for visual sci-fi to use science as a integral part of the stories rather than just filling the backdrop with futuristic techology.
How is Trek any different from, say, Stargate in this respect?
It isn't. I've often said that Stargate is my favourite sci-fi series, because it looks like fairly mindless entertainment but it's actually well written with a very cohesive universe.
Both have some episodes where a non-standard problem (no antagonist that can be bashed to make things well) is fronted, which the heroes confront with "science" (translation: Ghostbusters-style jargon and special effects) and defeat by dreaming up a technobabble solution (preferably one that includes a little lightning effects). SG-1 is shock full of this crap, especially the early seasons.
SG-1 actually does pretty well with scientific accuracy, when the script is specifically about a scientific problem; better than Trek in fact. Even the ascended beings, while implausible, are an improvement on Trek; Stargate explicitly defines them as wave patterns existing in subspace that can be created (e.g. the Asuran ascension attempt) and canceled out (e.g. Merlin's weapon) by technological means. Frankly it's hard to imagine how you could do better job of rationalising the existence of 'energy creatures', within the constraints of a popular TV show.

This principle applies here.
18-Till-I-Die
Emperor's Hand

Re: Which world has the best medicine and life expectancy

Post by 18-Till-I-Die »

How is that "scientific method", that's just making up phrases that don't mean anything from pseudoscientific words.

Look watch...

"A Floople is made up of tachyon supermembranes that flow naturally through the quantum firmament, which, along with the manipulation of supercritical exotic matter, is the source of their power. The Floople Concordat actually inhabits a fourth-dimensional zone within the spacetime foam itself, to whit they inhabit what can be described as islands of quagma floating on a Dirac sea, hence their unusual evolution."
Kanye West Saves.