Trekkie Wall o' Text

SWvST: the subject of the main site.

Moderator: Vympel

phred
Jedi Knight

Re: Trekkie Wall o' Text

Post by phred »

The best bet on the Red Matter would be to lob it at the planet's surface and hope for the best. If they try to commence drilling operations anywhere on the planet hundreds to thousands will die instantly. That would get a quick response from anyone with a weapon in firing range.

Even if the attack was successful, it would be more of a 9/11 than a 'destroy the head' type of event
"Siege warfare, French for spawn camp" WTYP podcast

It's so bad it wraps back around to awesome then back to bad again, then back to halfway between awesome and bad. Like if ed wood directed a godzilla movie - Duckie
Oskuro
Sith Devotee

Post by Oskuro »

Maybe I missed it but, doesn't Coruscant have a planetary shield? How are they getting through that anyway?
unsigned
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

A double layered one at that according to some sources :D
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Isolder74
Official SD.Net Ace of Cakes

Post by Isolder74 »

The more we talk about it the more I realize this would be a pointless attack. Perhaps Palpatine would let them at least take out a few blocks just to make them think they did it on their own to get the galaxy up in arms but I really doubt it.
Hapan Battle Dragons Rule!
When you want peace prepare for war! --Confusious
That was disapointing ..Should we show this Federation how to build a ship so we may have worthy foes? Typhonis 1
The Prince of The Writer's Guild|HAB Spacewolf Tank General| God Bless America!
Samuel
Sith Marauder

Post by Samuel »

2) The main governing system of the Empire, the Moffs, is not on Coruscant and so much of the political system will remain intact if it is lost.

3) Darth Vader is not regularly at Coruscant so, even if they manage to kill Palpatine, the Empire will not be leaderless.
I'm pretty sure Vader is not second in the line of succession. Additionally the Moffs would probably fight for dominance. Of course the best way to establish legitamacy would be to destroy the fools who killed the beloved Emperor so this makes the situation more... fun.
Isolder74
Official SD.Net Ace of Cakes

Post by Isolder74 »

Samuel wrote:
2) The main governing system of the Empire, the Moffs, is not on Coruscant and so much of the political system will remain intact if it is lost.

3) Darth Vader is not regularly at Coruscant so, even if they manage to kill Palpatine, the Empire will not be leaderless.
I'm pretty sure Vader is not second in the line of succession. Additionally the Moffs would probably fight for dominance. Of course the best way to establish legitamacy would be to destroy the fools who killed the beloved Emperor so this makes the situation more... fun.
I'm pretty sure He is. While the Moffs may not all know it(the Grand Admirals might) none of them would contest his taking the throne(his succession is even implied In ESB).

So pretty much after analyzing the entire plan we can come to only one conclusion, Coruscant only goes down or is damaged in any way if Palpatine allows it making any succession problems moot. He's just not going to be in town on that day, it's as simple as that.
Hapan Battle Dragons Rule!
When you want peace prepare for war! --Confusious
That was disapointing ..Should we show this Federation how to build a ship so we may have worthy foes? Typhonis 1
The Prince of The Writer's Guild|HAB Spacewolf Tank General| God Bless America!
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Err-there WAS no line of succession. Palpatine very much intended to run the Empire forever. When he failed/as it appeared he had died people sufficiently ENTRENCHED in the power structure took over best as they could (Sate Pestage/Isanne Isard).
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

LordOskuro wrote:Maybe I missed it but, doesn't Coruscant have a planetary shield? How are they getting through that anyway?
I doubt they keep it up a hundred percent of the time. Ships have to land, after all. And it probably takes at least a minute or two to raise the thing.

Their are bigger issues with pulling off a WMD strike on Coruscant (range for Trek warp drives, Palpatine's precog). But in theory a surprise attack could get by the shield.
Akkleptos
Jedi Knight

Post by Akkleptos »

Isolder74 wrote:
Serafina wrote:
Isolder74 wrote:What Isolder74 wrote
Yup, that's pretty much the point.

Of course, if we LOOK at the Red Matter, and do not assume that Nero wass just plain stupid (you can never rule that out in Trek) - then they need to sit over Coruscant for about half an hour (or longer) - over a planet with thousands of starships - good luck with that.
A half an hour? The Emperor and the Senate would be in shuttles and gone before then. Even if they pulled it off, the Federation is hosed!
Forget being gone...

If Imperial citizens on Coruscant with ships of a decent firepower learn about the attack, they'd just swarm and destroy Nero's ship in a blink of an eye. And that's just talking about civilians.
Batman wrote:Err-there WAS no line of succession. Palpatine very much intended to run the Empire forever. When he failed/as it appeared he had died people sufficiently ENTRENCHED in the power structure took over best as they could (Sate Pestage/Isanne Isard).
Yeah, but who's going to be the brave one to dispute over lines of succession with Lord Vader? Especially in the face on such an attack on the Empire's very core wolrd.
Life in Commodore 64:
10 OPEN "EYES",1,1
20 GET UP$:IF UP$="" THEN 20
30 GOTO BATHROOM
GENERATION 29
Don't like what I'm saying?
Take it up with my representative:
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

The Romulan Republic wrote:
LordOskuro wrote:Maybe I missed it but, doesn't Coruscant have a planetary shield? How are they getting through that anyway?
I doubt they keep it up a hundred percent of the time. Ships have to land, after all. And it probably takes at least a minute or two to raise the thing.

Their are bigger issues with pulling off a WMD strike on Coruscant (range for Trek warp drives, Palpatine's precog). But in theory a surprise attack could get by the shield.
the shield is taken down in unknown sized sections only IIRC not fully down or up and the upper layer is quite far from the surface too (the CIS fleet in ROTS was suppose to be between the layers according to some sources) also there's third weaker shield on the surface to deal with crashing starships and such and that's ignoring the homefleet and any other orbital defeces Corusant has.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Lord Revan wrote: the shield is taken down in unknown sized sections only IIRC not fully down or up and the upper layer is quite far from the surface too (the CIS fleet in ROTS was suppose to be between the layers according to some sources) also there's third weaker shield on the surface to deal with crashing starships and such and that's ignoring the homefleet and any other orbital defeces Corusant has.
The point being that their are going to be big holes in the shield at any time, unless their is an attack under way. Sure, if they know an attack's coming, they'll be able to close those gaps pretty fast. But it should be quite possible (in theory) to slip something through with a well-planned surprise.

Just for the sake of argument, what's to stop someone stowing a bunch of Red Matter or whatever inside a civilian ship, passing through a gap in the shield, and setting it off in a suicide mission? Or firing a torpedo through a gap in the shield?

Again, the problem with a sneak WMD attack is probably not the shields themselves, so much as it is Sith precognition and the simple difficulties in reaching Coruscant on a warp drive.
Akkleptos
Jedi Knight

Post by Akkleptos »

If incoming object recognition is posible nowadays, what's to keep any undesirable or altogether weird foreign-object from being detected by not one but several athmospherical controls on Coruscant, when such a thing isn't relatively difficult for modern-day recognition algorythms?
Life in Commodore 64:
10 OPEN "EYES",1,1
20 GET UP$:IF UP$="" THEN 20
30 GOTO BATHROOM
GENERATION 29
Don't like what I'm saying?
Take it up with my representative:
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Lord Revan wrote: the shield is taken down in unknown sized sections only IIRC not fully down or up and the upper layer is quite far from the surface too (the CIS fleet in ROTS was suppose to be between the layers according to some sources) also there's third weaker shield on the surface to deal with crashing starships and such and that's ignoring the homefleet and any other orbital defeces Corusant has.
The point being that their are going to be big holes in the shield at any time, unless their is an attack under way. Sure, if they know an attack's coming, they'll be able to close those gaps pretty fast. But it should be quite possible (in theory) to slip something through with a well-planned surprise.

Just for the sake of argument, what's to stop someone stowing a bunch of Red Matter or whatever inside a civilian ship, passing through a gap in the shield, and setting it off in a suicide mission? Or firing a torpedo through a gap in the shield?

Again, the problem with a sneak WMD attack is probably not the shields themselves, so much as it is Sith precognition and the simple difficulties in reaching Coruscant on a warp drive.
You mean aside from the sensors that detect around Coruscant's orbit, or the fleet that sits there, or maybe the defense platforms that are out there.

All before you get to the shields.

Sure, the political heart of the galaxy sits there in serene beauty waiting for the next yaboo to come along.
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

as I and others have pointed out the shield isn't Corusant's only mode of defense, also trafic in and out of Corusant is rather heavily monitored and regulared, so it might not be a simple matter of just warping and hiding in the inbound trafic to get past the defenses.

also IIRC the shields modulated such that there isn't a constant gap all the way to the surface but when shield 1 is down from sector 23434, shield 2 is up on the same sector (there's a rather large gap between the layers after all).

and then there's a minor thing that the empire would have no reservations of closing the gap for the inner shield layer if they spotted problems.

sure it might be possible for your suggestion to work, but it's very, very inlikely to work.

and that's even before we get to the problems of getting to Corusant orbit.
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Ghost Rider wrote:You mean aside from the sensors that detect around Coruscant's orbit, or the fleet that sits there, or maybe the defense platforms that are out there.
The sensors, maybe. I doubt the fleet or the defense platforms will start firing unless the sensors pick up something suspicious, or that Customs searches and boards every single ship. Much like the Death Star, most of Coruscant's defenses are more geared toward holding off a conventional fleet. I agree, once the alarm was raised, then any attacker would have to concern themselves with all of the above.
Sure, the political heart of the galaxy sits there in serene beauty waiting for the next yaboo to come along.
Not at all, and I never said it did. No more does Washington DC. That doesn't mean its impossible to carry out a successful terror/WMD attack. Just difficult.

Lord Revan wrote:as I and others have pointed out the shield isn't Corusant's only mode of defense, also trafic in and out of Corusant is rather heavily monitored and regulared, so it might not be a simple matter of just warping and hiding in the inbound trafic to get past the defenses.
Fair enough. I never said it would be easy.
also IIRC the shields modulated such that there isn't a constant gap all the way to the surface but when shield 1 is down from sector 23434, shield 2 is up on the same sector (there's a rather large gap between the layers after all).
I'll honestly admit I hadn't thought of that, though now that I think of it, I'm pretty sure I heard it somewhere before. My mistake.
and then there's a minor thing that the empire would have no reservations of closing the gap for the inner shield layer if they spotted problems.
True.
sure it might be possible for your suggestion to work, but it's very, very inlikely to work.
I'm inclined to agree, actually. But hey, its probably the best bet anyone's got for attacking Coruscant, short of something like a Death Star.
and that's even before we get to the problems of getting to Corusant orbit.
For Trek, that's surely the biggest obstacle, due simply to how slow a warp drive is. You'd be talking a multi-generation ship, that would arrive long after the war was over. Maybe someone with a good cloak and transwarp, but even then I'm not sure I'd like the odds.
Peptuck
Is Not A Moderator

Post by Peptuck »

The Romulan Republic wrote: Just for the sake of argument, what's to stop someone stowing a bunch of Red Matter or whatever inside a civilian ship, passing through a gap in the shield, and setting it off in a suicide mission? Or firing a torpedo through a gap in the shield?
If it's as simple as setting off the Red Matter on the surface of the planet, Nero wouldn't have needed to drill down to the planet's core to actually plant the RM torpedo (assuming Nero isn't a complete idiot and knows what he's doing). Setting off the RM device on a planet's surface might destroy a few dozen or hundred square kilometers of Coruscant's surface at best - devastating, but nothing a turbolaser barrage can't do otherwise.
X-COM: Defending Earth by blasting the shit out of it.

Writers are people, and people are stupid. So, a large chunk of them have the IQ of beach pebbles. ~fgalkin

You're complaining that the story isn't the kind you like. That's like me bitching about the lack of ninjas in Robin Hood. ~CaptainChewbacca
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Peptuck wrote:
The Romulan Republic wrote: Just for the sake of argument, what's to stop someone stowing a bunch of Red Matter or whatever inside a civilian ship, passing through a gap in the shield, and setting it off in a suicide mission? Or firing a torpedo through a gap in the shield?
If it's as simple as setting off the Red Matter on the surface of the planet, Nero wouldn't have needed to drill down to the planet's core to actually plant the RM torpedo (assuming Nero isn't a complete idiot and knows what he's doing). Setting off the RM device on a planet's surface might destroy a few dozen or hundred square kilometers of Coruscant's surface at best - devastating, but nothing a turbolaser barrage can't do otherwise.
True.

Their are other Trek Superweapons one might use, of course. I vaugely recall a TNG episode where the Klingons used some sort of device to destroy a planet's atmosphere, and also the Borg superweapon concept from Voyager's Dark Fronteir, which I think involved dispersing nanoprobes in a planet's atmosphere. But of course these are both one offs (actually, the Borg one was never even used once).

As we all seem to be agreed, a WMD attack on Coruscant would

a) be somewhere between difficult and impossible, and

b) probably result in completely devestating retalliation on whoever did it.

I'm certainly not arguing any differently. My only real argument is that you could probably slip a superweapon through the shields in a surprise attack, if with difficulty.
montypython
Jedi Master

Post by montypython »

Back when Zahn's first SW novel came out the more knowledgeable fans understood how the strategic advantages of the Empire made any ST victory hellish to pull off even with the assumption of technological superiority on ST's part, and today even if one were to completely max out ST's tech abilities with every known high end canon spec ever mentioned/shown, they'd still be overrun no matter what. The fact that the trekkies seem only to focus on itty bitty tactical edges instead of the larger picture just reinforces their lack of critical thinking.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Ghost Rider wrote:You mean aside from the sensors that detect around Coruscant's orbit, or the fleet that sits there, or maybe the defense platforms that are out there.
The sensors, maybe. I doubt the fleet or the defense platforms will start firing unless the sensors pick up something suspicious, or that Customs searches and boards every single ship. Much like the Death Star, most of Coruscant's defenses are more geared toward holding off a conventional fleet. I agree, once the alarm was raised, then any attacker would have to concern themselves with all of the above.
the thing is that ST ships have a sensor profile that's unlike anything in SW so without a cloak they'll stick out like the proverbial sore thumb and hijacking a civilian transport isn't all that easy (most civilian ships are shielded and some even armed).

reason we generally don't bother even considering this kind of scenarios is that when I say it's unlikely to happen, I mean it has about 0.0000000000000000000000000000000000001% chance of happening give or take.
Darth Wong
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Post by Darth Wong »

Any Trekkie planetary attack idea should be subjected to the litmus test of: "is it really more devastating than what an ISD could do?"

So many of their ideas sound impressive only until you realize that a single ISD could kill just as many people, and it could get there far more quickly and easily. That is simply the background military threat level of the SW universe, and if you can't rise well above it, then you can't threaten them.
"It's not evil for God to do it. Or for someone to do it at God's command."- Jonathan Boyd on baby-killing

"you guys are fascinated with the use of those "rules of logic" to the extent that you don't really want to discussus anything."- GC

"I do not believe Russian Roulette is a stupid act" - Embracer of Darkness

"Viagra commercials appear to save lives" - tharkûn on US health care.

http://www.stardestroyer.net/Mike/RantMode/Blurbs.html
Oskuro
Sith Devotee

Post by Oskuro »

I guess it is a brainbug planted by the typical budget limitations of tv series. Since they can rarely show big battles, the good guys often win through decapitating strikes that throw their enemies into disarray. Some series even make that their premise (Stargate, I'm looking at you).
unsigned
Ted C
Sith Marauder

Post by Ted C »

Serafina wrote:
Isolder74 wrote:What Isolder74 wrote
Yup, that's pretty much the point.

Of course, if we LOOK at the Red Matter, and do not assume that Nero wass just plain stupid (you can never rule that out in Trek) - then they need to sit over Coruscant for about half an hour (or longer) - over a planet with thousands of starships - good luck with that.
Not only that, they need to drop a drilling device into the atmosphere of and drill a hole into the crust of a planet that has a planetary shield. It's entirely likely that the Federation couldn't successfully deliver a red matter attack if they could actually GET to Coruscant at all.
"This is supposed to be a happy occasion... Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who."
-- The King of Swamp Castle, Monty Python and the Holy Grail

"Nothing of consequence happened today. " -- Diary of King George III, July 4, 1776

"This is not bad; this is a conspiracy to remove happiness from existence. It seeks to wrap its hedgehog hand around the still beating heart of the personification of good and squeeze until it is stilled."
-- Chuck Sonnenburg on Voyager's "Elogium"
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

LordOskuro wrote:I guess it is a brainbug planted by the typical budget limitations of tv series. Since they can rarely show big battles, the good guys often win through decapitating strikes that throw their enemies into disarray. Some series even make that their premise (Stargate, I'm looking at you).
Actually, I can't think of many examples of a Trek faction pulling off or even attempting a decapitating strike on the national level against another power. About the only incidences of such tactics that jump readily to mind are a few attempts to do so against the Founders in DS9 (all obviously failed, except for the Founders-killing bioweapon), and against the Borg in the Voyager series finale.

So I'm not sure its really fair to just blame such a brain bug on TV Trek (maybe TV sci-fi as a whole).
bz249
Padawan Learner

Post by bz249 »

LordOskuro wrote:I guess it is a brainbug planted by the typical budget limitations of tv series. Since they can rarely show big battles, the good guys often win through decapitating strikes that throw their enemies into disarray. Some series even make that their premise (Stargate, I'm looking at you).
Actually, I can't think of many examples of a Trek faction pulling off or even attempting a decapitating strike on the national level against another power. About the only incidences of such tactics that jump readily to mind are a few attempts to do so against the Founders in DS9 (all obviously failed, except for the Founders-killing bioweapon), and against the Borg in the Voyager series finale.

So I'm not sure its really fair to just blame such a brain bug on TV Trek (maybe TV sci-fi as a whole).
Shinzon? Technically what he has done was a coup, yet it was carried out in a single action by killing the Senate and after that point he was the big bad guy.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

bz249 wrote:Shinzon? Technically what he has done was a coup, yet it was carried out in a single action by killing the Senate and after that point he was the big bad guy.
True. I've never really watched Nemesis, so that may be why it didn't occur to me, but I should have remembered it.