Mirror Universe

SWvST: the subject of the main site.

Moderator: Vympel

paladin
Jedi Master

Mirror Universe

Post by paladin »

Is there an official explanation for the creation of the Terran Empire in the Mirror Universe in ST?

I read in a ST novel called "Dark Mirror" that the Terran Empire formed shortly after the Eugenics War. In fact the book said the culture of Mirror Earth never developed concept of mercy or compassion.
"Single-minded persistence in the face of futility is what humanity does best." Tim Ferguson
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

ST novels are apocryphal.
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
Evil Jerk
Moderator Emeritus
Location: In the Castle of Pain on the Mountain of Death beyond the River of Fire

Post by Evil Jerk »

There's no official explanation, and the books contradict each other, i.e. Shatner's books say the Empire was formed by a different set of events in First Contact, or something like that.
Evil Horseman, ready to torment the damned!

YOU SHALL BE AS GODS
YOU SHALL BE AS GODS
YOU SHALL BE AS GODS
Am I annoying you yet?
YOU SHALL BE AS GODS
Perinquus
Virus-X Wannabe

Post by Perinquus »

Or you could simply regard the novels that contradict each other as depicting different universes. After all, we know there are virtually an infinite number in Star Trek. What was the name of that episode where Worf got displaced and bounced from one universe to the next until they got him back to the right one? It had space filling with Enterprise's at the end of the episode (I thought the one which came from a universe where the Federation was on the verge of assimilation by the Borg was interesting).

This would mean there are almost certainly universes where the mirror Spock's attempt to reallign the Empire failed, and the evil, oppressive Terran Empire is still going strong. In such a milieu, all the novels concerning the mirror universes could be true - just true each for a different universe.

Post by Guest »

according to the Shitner, yes i meant shitner, the two universed seperated during First Contact. Apparently just before our intrepid crew of incompetants trtavel back to their own time Beverly gives Zef and his mate some kind of shot to blank their memory, in one reality, the "federation" universe the hypo works, in the "terran" universe it doesn't therefore giving Zef advanced waring about the Borg and other such nasty threats, so the humans and Vulcans get a waring ahead of time and make war ships and not silly exploration ships.

Once again i will point out this is Shitners work.
HemlockGrey
Fucking Awesome

Post by HemlockGrey »

Not really. His books were ghostwritten.

And don't....disrespect...Shatner....or I will...open a can of...whoop...ass!
The End of Suburbia
"If more cars are inevitable, must there not be roads for them to run on?"
-Robert Moses

"The Wire" is the best show in the history of television. Watch it today.
RayCav of ASVS
Jedi Council Member
Location: Either ISD Nemesis, DSD Demeter or outside Coronet, Corellia, take your pick

Post by RayCav of ASVS »

I always thought that the Mirror Universe Terran Empire was just an extention of the Roman Empire that never died, and expanded to emcompass the entire world.
::sig removed because it STILL offended Kelly. Hey, it's not my fault that I thing Wedge is a::

Kelly: SHUT UP ALREADY!
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Roman Empire that never died? Do they all have Latin names?
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
RayCav of ASVS
Jedi Council Member
Location: Either ISD Nemesis, DSD Demeter or outside Coronet, Corellia, take your pick

Post by RayCav of ASVS »

I clearly recall an "Emperor Tiberius" :P
::sig removed because it STILL offended Kelly. Hey, it's not my fault that I thing Wedge is a::

Kelly: SHUT UP ALREADY!
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

If it were a roman empire that never died then they'd be at least 700 years ahead of normal trek. {I have a fictional universe like that} They'd be more likely a revived empire if anything.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Crazy_Vasey
Jedi Council Member

Post by Crazy_Vasey »

This reminds me of the best Trek novel i have ever read. The one where TNG meets the mirror universe, it's by Diane Duane and it's been ages since I resad it but it was incredibly good I thought.
Crazy_Vasey
Jedi Council Member

Post by Crazy_Vasey »

Found it on Amazon

Amazon.com link

Better than any Voyage, DS9 and 99% of TNG episdodes IMO.

Edit: Shortened link. -Crayz9000

Post by Guest »

RayCav of ASVS wrote:I clearly recall an "Emperor Tiberius" :P
Tiberius if Kirks middle name, his family had a facination with the romulan's and the Miror Kirk thought Tiberius was more intimidating that Jim.
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

Muad'Dib wrote:
RayCav of ASVS wrote:I clearly recall an "Emperor Tiberius" :P
Tiberius if Kirks middle name, his family had a facination with the romulan's and the Miror Kirk thought Tiberius was more intimidating that Jim.
Yeah, "All Hail Emperor Jim" jusst doesn't have the same ring as "All Hail Emperor Tiberius".
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

Crazy_Vasey wrote:This reminds me of the best Trek novel i have ever read. The one where TNG meets the mirror universe, it's by Diane Duane and it's been ages since I resad it but it was incredibly good I thought.

That was an okay book. I did like the Mirror Universe version of the Enterprise D. It was packed with weapons and whatever stuff they had that was similar to the NextGen Ent-D had more power.
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.