the Voyager shuttle theroy

PST: discuss Star Trek without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

the Voyager shuttle theroy

Post by FaxModem1 »

I have a theroy as to where they get all their shuttles, this is most likely wrong so correct me if I goof up.

What is they only have one or two shuttles, and once those were gone, they went to a planet or asteroid belt, gathered materials, and made more shuttles.

p.s. if this has been discussed before, I'm sorry, I think this is a new idea.
Also, this might be how they always fixed whatever damage they got from their frequent battles with the alien of the week.

Tell me what you think.
jaeger115
Rabid Monkey

Post by jaeger115 »

Also, this might be how they always fixed whatever damage they got from their frequent battles with the alien of the week.
IIRC, even when the captain got reports of heavy damage throughout the ship, the show would switch to the outside, showing completely zero damage on the Voyager. :roll:
Concession accepted - COMMENCE PRIMARY IGNITION
Elite Warrior Monk of SD.net
BotM. Demolition Monkey
"I don't believe in God, any more than I believe in Mother Goose." - Clarence Darrow
HAB Special-Ops and Counter-Intelligence Agent
Darth Yoshi
Metroid

Post by Darth Yoshi »

Yes, but when did we ever hear that the hull had taken damage? :D
Fragment of the Lord of Nightmares, release thy heavenly retribution. Blade of cold, black nothingness: become my power, become my body. Together, let us walk the path of destruction and smash even the souls of the Gods! RAGNA BLADE!
Lore Monkey | the Pichu-master™
Secularism—since AD 80
Av: Elika; Prince of Persia
consequences
Homicidal Maniac

Post by consequences »

Since Starfleet hulls have zero durability, clearly attacks pass straight through them without affecting them at all, since zero durability means they are as solid as your average hard vacuum. It is only when a Star Trek ship's systems are directly hit that the ship is affected. :roll: [/i]
Darth Garden Gnome
Official SD.Net Lawn Ornament

Post by Darth Garden Gnome »

It's he reset button. It can activate moments after a battle to erase all battle damage anywhere on the ship, at any time. How convinient eh? :lol:
Leader of the Secret Gnome Revolution
Keevan_Colton
Emperor's Hand
Location: In the Land of Logic and Reason, two doors down from Lilliput and across the road from Atlantis...

Post by Keevan_Colton »

To paraphrase a wonderful piece on changing lightbulbs in Star Trek

"Chakotay : I could go charging off wildly in a shuttle against orders again....
Janeway : No! We'll be down to our last dozen any day now."

Perhaps they actually come with about 100 shuttles and keep them flat packed in some of those crates they like to duck behind.

Keevan.
Enlightenment
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Enlightenment »

I'm fond of this shuttle theory: http://www.st-minutiae.com/humor/voyagercutaway.gif

:D
It's not my place in life to make people happy. Don't talk to me unless you're prepared to watch me slaughter cows you hold sacred. Don't talk to me unless you're prepared to have your basic assumptions challenged. If you want bunnies in light, talk to someone else.
Yogi
Jedi Council Member

Post by Yogi »

Considering that Voyager was able to design and built the uber-shuttle "Delta Flyer" in around a week, building "normal" shuttles shouldn't be that big a deal for them.
I am capable of rearranging the fundamental building blocks of the universe in under six seconds. I shelve physics texts under "Fiction" in my personal library! I am grasping the reigns of the universe's carriage, and every morning get up and shout "Giddy up, boy!" You may never grasp the complexities of what I do, but at least have the courtesy to feign something other than slack-jawed oblivion in my presence. I, sir, am a wizard, and I break more natural laws before breakfast than of which you are even aware!

-- Vaarsuvius, from Order of the Stick
Cpt_Frank
Official SD.Net Evil Warsie Asshole

Post by Cpt_Frank »

Yeah possibly half of the crew was constantly occupied building shuttles.
Supermod
Darth Garden Gnome
Official SD.Net Lawn Ornament

Post by Darth Garden Gnome »

And where the hell are they getting all these supplies for shuttles? Noteveryother planet Voyager ran into had the no doubt complex materials needed to build something like a shuttle! Let alone dozens of them!!!!
Leader of the Secret Gnome Revolution
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Has anyone done a definitive count of shuttles lost during the series?
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
Warspite
Jedi Council Member

Post by Warspite »

There is a site that did the counting, I can't remmember it's URL, but it was posted around here in November, I think.

Anyway, how could they build the shuttles, even with raw materials you'll need heavy machinery for processing the minerals, building the structural components and equipment, in short, to manufacture a complex system like a shuttle. Engineers are trained for repair and maintenance of all systems, but not to build a system from scratch. They can only do so much.
Then there's the building process, and testing, since it would be a miracle if the shuttle would work at first try.
Basically, you'll need a shipyard facility, inside the Voyager, even with the magical replicators and transporters.
It would be easier to explain the shuttle magic, if they salvaged and cannabalized equipment, not manufacture from raw materials.

In conclusion, it's all a big red reset button, and lazy writing.
[img=left]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v206/ ... iggado.jpg[/img] "You know, it's odd; practically everything that's happened on any of the inhabited planets has happened on Terra before the first spaceship." -- Space Viking
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

Cpt_Frank wrote:Yeah possibly half of the crew was constantly occupied building shuttles.
Yup and the other half were busy working at the cloning vats to replace all the crewman Janeway got killed.
Cpt_Frank
Official SD.Net Evil Warsie Asshole

Post by Cpt_Frank »

Stormbringer wrote:
Cpt_Frank wrote:Yeah possibly half of the crew was constantly occupied building shuttles.
Yup and the other half were busy working at the cloning vats to replace all the crewman Janeway got killed.
"Send in the clones."
:mrgreen:
Supermod
jaeger115
Rabid Monkey

Post by jaeger115 »

I'm fond of this shuttle theory
:lol:

There's two shuttles in one warp nacelle! That's why they have so much problems with warp drive!
Concession accepted - COMMENCE PRIMARY IGNITION
Elite Warrior Monk of SD.net
BotM. Demolition Monkey
"I don't believe in God, any more than I believe in Mother Goose." - Clarence Darrow
HAB Special-Ops and Counter-Intelligence Agent
TheDarkling
Sith Marauder

Post by TheDarkling »

Vertigo1
Defender of the Night

Post by Vertigo1 »

My personal theory is that they fold up in to convenient travel size suitcases for storage. :mrgreen:

Janeway: Damn, there goes another shuttle.
Chakotay: Don't worry, I'll have Torres replicate another suitcase.
Janeway: I thought we had like fifty in storage as it is?
Chakotay: Yeah, but at the rate we loose them we'll be out before the next episode!
Janeway: Good point!

:D
"I once asked Rebecca to sing Happy Birthday to me during sex. That was funny, especially since I timed my thrusts to sync up with the words. And yes, it was my birthday." - Darth Wong

Leader of the SD.Net Gargoyle Clan | Spacebattles Firstone | Twitter
Silver
Youngling

Post by Silver »

TheDarkling wrote:Here is the actual count http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/inconsistencies3.htm
:shock: That is a whole lot of shuttles... more than I'd even imagined! Ok... now for a show that supposedly put big emphasis on their "limited resources", that is one major foul-up.
Silver
Youngling

Post by Silver »

TheDarkling wrote:Here is the actual count http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/inconsistencies3.htm
:shock: That is a whole lot of shuttles... more than I'd even imagined! Ok... now for a show that supposedly put big emphasis on their "limited resources", that is one major foul-up.
Patrick Degan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Patrick Degan »

Maybe they were actually inflatable. 8)
Enlightenment
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Enlightenment »

Silver wrote: :shock: That is a whole lot of shuttles... more than I'd even imagined! Ok... now for a show that supposedly put big emphasis on their "limited resources", that is one major foul-up.
If we were to be fair to B&B (Knock it off. I can hear the laughter.) it could be argued that Voyager had such limited resources for things like replicators because it had to expend so many resources keeping its shuttle fleet in good order.
It's not my place in life to make people happy. Don't talk to me unless you're prepared to watch me slaughter cows you hold sacred. Don't talk to me unless you're prepared to have your basic assumptions challenged. If you want bunnies in light, talk to someone else.
drifter god
Rabid Monkey

Post by drifter god »

well. they did say that they built the flyer in about a week, and i if i remember that episode right, most of it was fabricated on the ship, so whats to say they cant build shutlecraft left and right. now as far realistic, this is star trek, you cant really expect them to be very realistic. hell, half of the ship could get blow off, and it would be back in a week too, mabye that reset button really does exist............

captain! we're out of torpedos and phasers are down,.....hmm....raming speed!!, expendable crewman #516 get to the reset button fast, we shall soon be needing it!
i work for the cable company, i make sure all the channels work :)
BotM
Kurgan
Sith Marauder

Post by Kurgan »

Maybe they secretly stored them all in the transport buffer (that's where all of Neelix's awful cooking ended up, but nobody told him).

He may not be able to cook a decent steak, but his meat makes good hull plating!
Chris OFarrell
Durandal's Bitch

Post by Chris OFarrell »

To be realistic (and not simply put it down to bad writing), its clear Voyager has shown an ability to sustain itself to a large degree over long periods of time. Its had massive damage at various times that was repared by the time of the next episode. They have lost god knows how many shuttles and replaced them. They were able to build the Mark 1 Delta Flyer in a week. Going from design stage to working prototype in that timeframe is rather fast.

I very much dobut they carried as many spare shuttles or hull plates as they did, especialy given that it looked like Voyager was only kitted out for a short term mission. It looks like they had to replicate all the replacement material. Of course this would be dependent on their energy reserves.
Tootootoo
Redshirt

Post by Tootootoo »

It could be possible.. most of the time when they mention resources they mean food and organic matter and engine stuff. It would probably be easy enough to get the resources to replicate mundane things like sheets of hull or cables or cheesecake leftovers or whatever infact makes up your average Starfleet shuttlecraft. Most planets have minerals and resources that could be mined, and I bet Voyager came across a few with already processed chunks of metal readily waiting there to be beamed up and I dont know, fed into the replicator systems through some hole like a food processor?
Anyway, given the crappiness of the shuttles and how they crash every time the wind blows, they're probably rather simplified and easy to make. Basically a box with a panel control in the cockpit, a small engine and a transporter and blam, you have a new shuttle to crash and bash in the next episode where the command crew does something stupid like go out on away missions when really extras should be sent. I mean, what insane Captain or first officer would go on one of those cardboard cutouts and travel to a completely unknown planet where it's almost guarenteed something will go horribly wrong and they will be stranded in some jungle with a cave beast eating children and some crazy dragon flying through the air shooting flames at them? WHY!? There is no logic in this! NO LOGIC. WHY DO YOU LET THIS HAPPEN TUVOK!??!?!!