Would you treat Q the same way Picard does?

PST: discuss Star Trek without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Natorgator
Jedi Knight

Would you treat Q the same way Picard does?

Post by Natorgator »

Whenever Q shows up Picard always shows severe disdain for him and is constantly asking him to leave. It blew up in his face when Q threw the Enterprise into the Delta Quadrant, thus encountering the Borg for the first time. What could have been a possible outcome if Picard had let Q join the crew, do you think he would have granted them possible access to higher technological advancements, etc or taking them to other galaxies to explore? Could any other benefits have been realized if he wasn't run off every time he showed up?

Personally, I'm not so sure he would grant them permanent access to new technologies, but I can see him taking the Enterprise to areas outside their normal capabilities of exploration. What does everyone else think?
Sidious
Padawan Learner

Post by Sidious »

I cant see Q helping Starfleet advance in anyway. Not directly anyway. He may have indirectly helped them gain some teeth by introducing them to the Borg.

Its really a moot point, since its not like Picard could have actually stopped him from joining the crew if he had really wanted it. The whole setup was just another game/test/lesson for humanity with Q as the teacher.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Me as captain of Enterprise-D:

They booted you out, so know your coming here. And you think we are going faster then we should. I'll make you a deal.

Prove you good intentions, and I'll let you join.

Q: Oh, how?

Me: I want a full map of his galaxy, full culture reports on each world, organization and society, as well as full technical reports, including what the Federation and Starfleet would need to match or defend against them. I'll give them to the Federation, and tell them it's an exchange from the Q. What we have to do is slow down our exploration of space by about, what, a 500 light year increase per year, and get our own territory fully under our control. Sound reasonable?

Yes, I'd make a deal with him.

And if I needed to give him a virgin sacrifice, hey, Wesley is part of the crew
CNS Sarajevo
Youngling

Post by CNS Sarajevo »

Hmm...thinking about Kirk's speech about risk.

Q offered to renounce his powers. If we could get another uber-alien who we trusted to be the keeper of Q's powers, sure. His knowledge would far outweigh any of his annoying habits, and it would be worth the risk of aliens coming to get him.

Otherwise, forget it. He'll get bored, find a loophole in setting aside his powers, and then all hell would break loose. It's not that I don't want to, it's that I don't want all hell breaking loose on MY ship.
I love the smell of BDZ in the morning.

"If the battle cannot be won without me, then I will be brought on deck."
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Out of all all the captians to encouter Q, Sisko handled it best. He hits Q sending him straight to the floor!! :D
kojikun
BANNED

Post by kojikun »

I rather like Q. I would be like "Q!! Don't leave me!!! I miss you! T_T"
El Moose Monstero
Moose Rebellion Ambassador
Location: The Cradle of the Rebellion... Oop Nowrrth, Like...

Post by El Moose Monstero »

Q has always been one of my favourite characters, and time and time again, he has proven that beneath the trickster figure is someone who is trying to teach humanity a lesson. I might not hop into bed with him, but I'd give him a hell of a lot more respect than Picard did, even though that relationship was part of the reason why I like him.
"...a fountain of mirth, issuing forth from the penis of a cupid..." ~ Dalton / Winner of the 'Frank Hipper Most Horrific Drag EVAR' award - 2004 / The artist formerly known as The_Lumberjack.

Evil Brit Conspiracy: Token Moose Obsessed Kebab Munching Semi Geordie
Kurgan
Sith Marauder

Post by Kurgan »

I don't know about Picard, but if I were Janeway and he asked for sex in exchange from bringing my ship and crew safely home the next instant, I'd say "let's go."

What an idiot she was to refuse...
Kitsune
Sith Devotee

Post by Kitsune »

Kurgan wrote:I don't know about Picard, but if I were Janeway and he asked for sex in exchange from bringing my ship and crew safely home the next instant, I'd say "let's go."

I misses most of the Voyager Episodes, she did that? :o
Boy, she is stupid.....He must be desperate too
"He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."
Thomas Paine

"For the living know that they shall die: but the dead know not any thing, neither have they any more a reward; for the memory of them is forgotten."
Ecclesiastes 9:5 (KJV)
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

The Benifit of being omnipotient....

You can even make Janeway sexy
neoolong
Dead Sexy 'Shroom

Post by neoolong »

Kitsune wrote:
Kurgan wrote:I don't know about Picard, but if I were Janeway and he asked for sex in exchange from bringing my ship and crew safely home the next instant, I'd say "let's go."

I misses most of the Voyager Episodes, she did that? :o
If he's so omnipotent, he should have waited a while and asked for Seven. :D
Member of the BotM. @( !.! )@
Gil Hamilton
Tipsy Space Birdie

Post by Gil Hamilton »

Kitsune wrote:I misses most of the Voyager Episodes, she did that? :o
It was one of the stupid Q episodes. In the end, it turned out Q sex was touching fingers ET style, so she ended up even more like a freaking moron.
"Show me an angel and I will paint you one." - Gustav Courbet

"Quetzalcoatl, plumed serpent of the Aztecs... you are a pussy." - Stephen Colbert

"Really, I'm jealous of how much smarter than me he is. I'm not an expert on anything and he's an expert on things he knows nothing about." - Me, concerning a bullshitter
Natorgator
Jedi Knight

Post by Natorgator »

Gil Hamilton wrote:It was one of the stupid Q episodes. In the end, it turned out Q sex was touching fingers ET style, so she ended up even more like a freaking moron.
Yeah, you'd think that a captain would be willing to do what it takes to get her crew back, but I guess not. She's a fuckin idiot..
Robert Walper
Dishonest Resident Borg Fan-Whore

Post by Robert Walper »

In all honesty, I'd ask(ie: probably beg) Q to make me a Q as well. Once done, I'd try to spice up life in the Q Continium, by introducing universe concepts they probably are not awareof, like Star Wars, Predator, Terminator, Dune, Matrix...etc, etc. The chaos would be so fun, with the snap of a finger cleaning it up to start again if you want. :D
SirNitram
Rest in Peace, Black Mage

Post by SirNitram »

I'd run the fuck away. After all, Q's idea of 'helping' the Federation is ringing the dinner bell for the Borg.
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Debator Classification: Trollhunter
Kitsune
Sith Devotee

Post by Kitsune »

What ever happened to sacrificing the one (yourself) for the greater good.
I, a heterosexual male, would screw Q or be screwed by Q to save my ship.

I just talked to a person who said "Ethics" but you already said you would sacrifice your life for the good of your crew. The other comment was that it would "Rob" the crew of their experiences. Idiocy of people brought up on Trek.
"He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."
Thomas Paine

"For the living know that they shall die: but the dead know not any thing, neither have they any more a reward; for the memory of them is forgotten."
Ecclesiastes 9:5 (KJV)
Jadeite
Racist Pig Fucker

Post by Jadeite »

Try and persuade him to join the Federation.