After decades lost, Star Trek’s original Enterprise model may have been found

PST: discuss Star Trek without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

After decades lost, Star Trek’s original Enterprise model may have been found

Post by bilateralrope »

Ars Technica
The listing went down quickly, and Roddenberry's son is trying to track it down.
SAMUEL AXON - 11/8/2023, 1:25 AM

The first model of the USS Enterprise ever used in shooting the original Star Trek series may have surfaced after going missing decades ago.

An eBay listing of a 3-foot model of the Enterprise appeared early last week and named a starting bid of $1,000. The listing was removed hours after it went up after enthusiasts on social media and forums discovered it and pieced together what it likely was. Some of those enthusiasts said in the private Facebook group "Star Trek Prop Makers & Collectors" that they had contacted the seller suggesting it be returned to its rightful owners, which many believe to be the estate of Star Trek creator Gene Roddenberry.
On Thursday evening, Rod Roddenberry, son of Star Trek creator Gene Roddenberry and steward of the Roddenberry estate, shared a message on Facebook expressing a desire to get in touch with the seller to see about the model's return. That post has since become inaccessible, but a nearly identical one appeared on X, formerly known as Twitter, on Friday afternoon. He wrote:
Super excited someone discovered this treasure! It would mean a lot to talk with whomever is selling/in possession of the 3' Enterprise. Appreciate anyone who can put me in touch, and connect us! Engage!
Ars reached out to the Roddenberry estate but was not given a public comment. We also contacted the eBay seller who listed the model, but they declined to identify themselves or explain how they came to acquire it.

"All I can say is that it’s out of my hands and with a proper team," they wrote. They declined to elaborate further.

Even though the future fate of the model is uncertain, the username for the account and its other listings suggest that it specializes in selling artifacts found in storage lockers that end up without an owner, either due to failure to pay, abandonment, or death, perhaps giving a hint as to how the model was found.

At first, there was a lot of speculation about whether this was the genuine, long-lost model—and all evidence points to this being an authentic find.

The model mystery

Enthusiasts have done extensive research into this and other props used in the series, documenting details about them, the stories behind them, and where they have ended up over the years.

The model was made by prop-maker Richard Datin Jr under the direction of Star Trek series creator Gene Roddenberry in the preproduction phase of the series before it even had a full series order. It preceded an 11-foot model that was used for most of the shots in the series. However, the 3-footer was used for the opening credits sequence and all but one of the shots of the Enterprise in the series' pilot, because the 11-foot version was not ready in time for shooting. It was also used sporadically in other shots in later episodes, including one where it actually acted as a model of the Enterprise sitting on a table.

Enthusiasts have done extensive research into this and other props used in the series, documenting details about them, the stories behind them, and where they have ended up over the years.

The model was made by prop-maker Richard Datin Jr under the direction of Star Trek series creator Gene Roddenberry in the preproduction phase of the series before it even had a full series order. It preceded an 11-foot model that was used for most of the shots in the series. However, the 3-footer was used for the opening credits sequence and all but one of the shots of the Enterprise in the series' pilot, because the 11-foot version was not ready in time for shooting. It was also used sporadically in other shots in later episodes, including one where it actually acted as a model of the Enterprise sitting on a table.
This ship is a custom made spaceship by Richard Datin jr

Made by wood and hand painted

It’s a 1 in 1 very rare and very old

It will have its aging like wooden cracks and sticker pealing off

Very nice for a collection
The mention of Datin Jr allowed enthusiasts who were deeply familiar with Star Trek's history to find and identify it.

A thread titled "RED ALERT Lost 3 ft TOS Enterprise found????" on the RPF costume and prop-maker community forum ran over the past week with pages of analysis, including insights from some of the most knowledgeable Star Trek prop enthusiasts.

For example, portions of the ship's saucer are flat—something special in the early model that went missing—and the back of the ship's nacelles also has a detail seen in the lost model. The shuttle bay door piece is missing from the original model in one of its final appearances on the show—and the same piece is missing in the model in the eBay listing, too. Individuals compared photos of the grain of the original model's wooden stand to that of the one in the listing, finding telling similarities. Old damage on the saucer and the deflector dish was found to match on both models, too.

The list goes on. Datin's business card also looks authentic, but it includes the only detail that doesn't make sense: A vague note about voltage is written by hand on the card, but the original model is believed to have had no electrical components. That said, the 3-foot model in question was used as the basis and reference for the larger 11-foot model that was used for most of the other shots in the series (the one that now famously sits in the Smithsonian), so it has been posited that these may have been notes for the production of the 11-footer.

As the historians, collectors, and model-makers noted repeatedly in the thread and social media platforms, this is very likely the long-lost model, and if it's not, it's one of the best fakes ever made. Here's hoping we see it turn up again soon.
There are photos with the article.

Hopefully this is the real model and can be returned. The Ebay sellers comment of "it’s out of my hands" make me think lawyers are already involved.
Evilchumlee
Youngling

Re: After decades lost, Star Trek’s original Enterprise model may have been found

Post by Evilchumlee »

bilateralrope wrote: 2023-11-07 09:58am Hopefully this is the real model and can be returned. The Ebay sellers comment of "it’s out of my hands" make me think lawyers are already involved.
Almost certainly yes, although my kneejerk is to think that... it doesn't really belong to the Roddenberry estate. If anything, it belongs to Viacom/Paramount, but even then it's almost certainly going to fall under "abandoned" status.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Re: After decades lost, Star Trek’s original Enterprise model may have been found

Post by Solauren »

Also, odds are, the $1000 the guy was asking is way cheaper then legal costs and all that.

I say give him the $$$, have Roddenbury's son pick it up, and then whatever is supposed to happen after that, happens.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

It's also possible Rod Roddenberry is working with Paramount here, he did work as producer in the new series so, it's possible.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

I don't see any disagreement about who legally owns it even getting to court. They will come to an agreement and we probably won't hear much beyond where the model gets sent.