Never watched DS9, want to know if I need to be wary of overlaps

PST: discuss Star Trek without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

GuppyShark
Sith Devotee

Never watched DS9, want to know if I need to be wary of overlaps

Post by GuppyShark »

A friend of mine has recently insisted I finally watch Deep Space Nine. I've somehow never watched it, despite being a fan of Babylon 5 etc for many years - I'm also aware that many people consider it to be the best Star Trek ever produced.

I'm aware that the show aired concurrently with other Trek shows, where should I be alert to this and does it actually make a difference ?

Thanks.
Guppy
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Re: Never watched DS9, want to know if I need to be wary of overlaps

Post by bilateralrope »

Have you watched TNG ?

If you have, you shouldn't have any problems.

If not, I'd suggest watching TNG first. You could try to watch the episodes of TNG and DS9 in the order they aired, but watching all of TNG first and remembering that the overlap existed will be sufficient.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Yeah, what bilateralrope said. There's one shared plot thread between TNG/Ds9/Voyager and a couple of sequel episodes. You can watch nearly all of it without reference to the other shows.

spoilers: Spoiler
The shared plot line I mean is the maquis. Who form on TNG and DS9 to set up the underused shared crew aspect of Voyager and then it fell to Ds9 to keep using it in the alpha quandrant. Eventually what they did with it forms the basis of a late voyager episode.

The sequel episodes are Q/Vash in S1 and Thomas Riker in S3.

Technically you also need to know about Worf's TNG arc to fully appreciate his relationship with Gowron in Ds9.
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

Crazedwraith wrote: 2022-02-07 11:24am Yeah, what bilateralrope said. There's one shared plot thread between TNG/Ds9/Voyager and a couple of sequel episodes. You can watch nearly all of it without reference to the other shows.

spoilers: Spoiler
The shared plot line I mean is the maquis. Who form on TNG and DS9 to set up the underused shared crew aspect of Voyager and then it fell to Ds9 to keep using it in the alpha quandrant. Eventually what they did with it forms the basis of a late voyager episode.

The sequel episodes are Q/Vash in S1 and Thomas Riker in S3.

Technically you also need to know about Worf's TNG arc to fully appreciate his relationship with Gowron in Ds9.
I’d also say it’s worth watching TNG (or at least good portions of it first) for the larger narrative perspective.

While DS9 is fine on its own, IMO it works best as a contrast and challenge to what TNG built up.

Voyager could have been similar had they been willing to follow through with the premise of the show and take risks.
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - The official Troll motto, as stated by Adam Savage
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Yeah from what I've seen of DS9, the overlap is minimal and you won't be loosing anything plot critical if you've not seen TNG (there's pretty much no overlap with VOY).

You don't really have had seen TNG to enjoy DS9 as it stands on its own, though some story lines get added depth if you have seen TNG.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

Seeing in the order they aired best, the first couple of seasons of DS9 take place at the same time as the last 2 of TNG, VOY starts right after TNG ends so DS9 overlaps with both, with Voyager using DS9 as an actual jumping-off point before heading into the badlands. All are 7 seasons long so it's consistent. Fans are somewhat divided over the changes made to the music of the opening credits halfway through its run, upping its tempo and most significantly including the Defiant.

Some TNG members make guest appearances, and the arrival of a certain Klingon makes for some very interesting storylines in subsequent seasons! :mrgreen:
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Watch TNG first if you haven't.

During the overlap between TNG and DS9, watch them in air-date order. I have to get them credit, they were very good about that.

That will really 'frame' DS9 in the proper perspective.

Voyager isn't needed for the framework of DS9. The odd thing from DS9 feeds into Voyager, but not the other way around.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
GuppyShark
Sith Devotee

Post by GuppyShark »

Thanks for the suggestions!

I did watch TNG but that was a youngster, so I would have missed episodes here and there. I've got a lot to watch so I'm doing the DS9 standalone run. I figure if anything jarring comes up I can just check the schedules and see what TNG episode I should have watched, otherwise I can probably survive on residual TNG knowledge.