Ancient Trek musings

PST: discuss Star Trek without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Ancient Trek musings

Post by Batman »

So TOS 'The Wink of an Eye' was on today and Deela casually steps out of the way of a phaser beam (not that hard to begin with 'cause those things are painfully slow to begin with but I digress). Super-accelerated because of scalosian water and all that. Except all of Kirk's clothes were super-accelerated right with him so why wasn't his phaser? Pretty sure at that kind of speed differential having to deal with clothing that refuses to move would've been quite noticeable
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Re: Ancient Trek musings

Post by LadyTevar »

The water had accelerated them possibly beyond the speed of whatever 'phase' a phaser shot?
I never found out what a Phaser beam actually *was* -- phased particles? Phased light shouldn't be that slow, right?
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

LadyTevar wrote: 2021-05-28 10:30pm The water had accelerated them possibly beyond the speed of whatever 'phase' a phaser shot?
I never found out what a Phaser beam actually *was* -- phased particles? Phased light shouldn't be that slow, right?
Phasers are apparently a nadion particle beam. Now, the question is, what the hell is a Nadion.

And kirks clothing was accelerated by his body sweat, obviously.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Also wasn't it said in TAS or TOS that Starfleet uniforms are made of some kind of special organic fiber so it could be said the clothes got effected because of that while a phaser beam due to being inorganic didn't get effected.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

The 'organic vs anorganic' makes sense (I need to get around to watching TAS despite the dated animation), as does, in a really icky way, Solauren's idea :D
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

The other possibility is simple conservation of momentum. Kirk's clothing moved at normal speed with him, and so did the phaser when he pulled and aimed. However, the phaser beam, independent of kirk's movement, was unaffected.

In theory, a knife thrown by Kirk would have traveled at what Kirk would have seen as normal speed.

The evidence of this is the fact that Spock was able to make repairs to the ship while under the effects of the water. If momentum wasn't conserved, then he couldn't move anything to make the repairs.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Eframepilot
Jedi Master

Post by Eframepilot »

Lord Revan wrote: 2021-05-29 06:33am Also wasn't it said in TAS or TOS that Starfleet uniforms are made of some kind of special organic fiber so it could be said the clothes got effected because of that while a phaser beam due to being inorganic didn't get effected.
Ah yes, the unstable molecules dodge.
Darth Lucifer
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Lucifer »

If there's any canon reference to what material Starfleet uniforms are made of, I can't remember it. Except for that one time on Enterprise where they're doing a live video feed to a group of schoolkids back on Earth and Archer passes the buck to Trip when they get asked a poop question...he explains the waste recycling and mentions some of the things they make out of the molecules, boots were one of them.

In TAS when the crew was shrinking, Spock pointed out that Nurse Chapel's titanium bracelet was too big for her but her uniform still fit her perfectly. Spock mentions that the material in their uniforms is composed of some kind of processed algae. Along with some other observations, like the coral decorations in a fish tank, the crew figured out that whatever radiation they were being exposed to only caused organic material to shrink.
Last edited by Darth Lucifer on 2021-08-30 09:37am, edited 1 time in total.
Darth Lucifer
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Lucifer »

strike double post, was trying to edit
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Most clothing is made of out organics nowadays anyway. Just really processed stuff.