CG replacement of TOS bridge by ILM VFX guy

PST: discuss Star Trek without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

CG replacement of TOS bridge by ILM VFX guy

Post by Galvatron »

I always hoped they could eventually do something like this, at least for the display screens, and it looks like at least one pro decided to take it upon himself to show us what it might look like...

Yes, I know it's a few years old, but it just popped up on YouTube for me yesteday. I also realize that many purists would probably hate it, so I think the original version should remain accessible in perpetuity.

This is the guy who did the work:

https://www.linkedin.com/in/kevingeorgevfx
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Re: CG replacement of TOS bridge by ILM VFX guy

Post by Solauren »

You know, those are pretty good. It's a small thing, but it's the kind of thing that can make a big difference.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Now I want to see what it would look like with the DSC redesigned Connie bridge added the same way, though I'd love they did that they'd use a more TOS colors for the console UI.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Patroklos
Sith Devotee

Post by Patroklos »

I know I am probably in the minority here, but this is the approach they should have taken to all the TOS and previous series settings.
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

You mean giving all the physical sets in TOS a CG facelift like in the video I posted and then basing all of the sets and costumes in Enterprise and Discovery on that aesthetic?
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

For DSC that could work honestly I think ENT is too early for the TOS look to be present yet, ENT is set in 2150s while TOS is set in late 2260s
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

The bridge consoles in TMP through ST3 could use some modernizing too. It wasn't until ST4 that people like Mike Okuda came on board and gave us console designs that weren't just blinking colored lights and meaningless screensavers.