That's their Continuity Fix, really?! (DIS, S2E14 spoilers)

PST: discuss Star Trek without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

That's their Continuity Fix, really?! (DIS, S2E14 spoilers)

Post by Crazedwraith »

Seriously, they went for literally 'let us never speak of it again?' To try and handwave why no-one mentions Burnham, Discovery or the spore drive again?

Really? I mean up until the Mirror universe episodes, I didn't see why they didn't set the series in the future. But series 2 did a lot more to make it acceptable by making Pike and Spock reoccurring characters. And in early episodes of S2 they seemed to be heading for an ecco friendly 'we can use this it wrecks spore space' type message but then they stated using it again for some reason.

But yeah, that's the hokiest handwave ever to try and maintain continuity on paper while tearing the spirit of it to shreds.

I like Disco well enough as it's own thing. But still...
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Re: That's their Continuity Fix, really?! (DIS, S2E14 spoilers)

Post by bilateralrope »

That handwave sounds worse after the third episode of season three. Spoiler
Most of the dilithium in the galaxy went become inert about a century before when the season is set. Ships with active warp cores at the time went boom. This event is know as The Burn.
Dilithium suddenly becoming really fucking rare shook up the galaxy.
Starfleet apparently tried alternative FTL methods. They failed.
Discovery pulled off a spore jump. While hiding all their dilithium in a cloaked ship in their hanger. Meaning the spore drive didn't require dilithium.

I can see Starfleet refusing to use the spore drive when warp is viable, as warp doesn't require genetically altering humans to pilot it. But The Burn would have made them desperate.
Though we are only 3 episodes in. There are some big unknowns that could change my thoughts here once they get revealed.

Problem is, I can't think of a better option to fix the continuity problem. My understanding is that there was a major change to the production staff between seasons 1 and 2. The season 1 team caused the problem, then left it for the season 2 team to deal with.
AniThyng
Sith Devotee

Post by AniThyng »

Try to imagine what must be going through spock's mind when the M5 computer was installed on the Enterprise...
I do know how to spell
AniThyng is merely the name I gave to what became my favourite Baldur's Gate II mage character :P
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

AniThyng wrote: 2020-11-01 07:27pm Try to imagine what must be going through spock's mind when the M5 computer was installed on the Enterprise...
It would rather nicely tie in to his comment about having a computer-run starship be "practical, perhaps, but not desirable. Computers make excellent and efficient servants, but I have no wish to serve under them."
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.