Star Trek Lower Decks Thread

PST: discuss Star Trek without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Star Trek Lower Decks Thread

Post by FaxModem1 »

So, the first episode has come and gone.

Thoughts?
tezunegari
Jedi Knight

Re: Star Trek Lower Decks Thread

Post by tezunegari »

Overall, I liked it.
The glasses in the bar look exactly like the glasses used in TNG... the animators really have a love for detail.
D'deridex Warbirds look like the TNG versions, the Shuttles look awesome, Nomad is still in the closet...

The animation quality is really good.
The first shot of the Cerritos is just gorgeous (mostly because the pylons are not shown, I still hate those).

Interesting how Mariner got away with assaulting a fellow officer while drunk on Romulan Whiskey. I mean carving a thigh to the bone with a Bat'leth should require medical attention and maybe that is the reason the Captain chose Boimler to spy on Mariner because she thought there would be antipathy from him.

Though I really want to know what happened to make Mariner so jaded towards Starfleet...

Also, the Senior Crew seems kinda dismissive of the Lower Decks... the XO questions Boimler being on the bridge, the Captain gets his name wrong, and Boimler's involvement in bringing the cure is completely ignored by them.
"Bring your thousands, I have my axe."
"Bring your cannons, I have my armor."
"Bring your mighty... I am my own champion."
Cue Unit-01 ramming half the Lance of Longinus down Adam's head and a bemused Gendo, "Wrong end, son."
Ikari Gendo, NGE Fanfiction "Standing Tall"
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

I got a feeling the California-class ships are captained by those who graduated at the bottom of their class and just barely qualified for command, probably same for the rest of the senior staff so we're not exactly talking "elite" here and they might disgruntled about it and taking it on the juniors possibly even without realizing it.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

I haven't watched Trek regularly since Voyager was still current but this seems like good harmless fun poked at some of the tropes of the series and the premier episode has me interested enough that I'll be watching more.
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

I guess this really hasn't grabbed anyone here given the lack of posts. I though episode 2 was just okay, nothing too amazing, and I haven't caught up with episode 3 just yet.
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Episode 3 is hilarious, and to me, has been the best episode so far.
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

I watched the premiere because it streamed free, but I have no plans to pay for CBS All Access. It was fun and obviously not designed to be taken too seriously, so taking it for what it is, it did a good job in the premiere. I might catch up with the rest of it later.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
darth_timon
Padawan Learner

Post by darth_timon »

I'm annoyed that so far, this isn't available to view in the UK.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

I'll binge it once the Season is done.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

tezunegari wrote: 2020-08-11 01:41amInteresting how Mariner got away with assaulting a fellow officer while drunk on Romulan Whiskey. I mean carving a thigh to the bone with a Bat'leth should require medical attention and maybe that is the reason the Captain chose Boimler to spy on Mariner because she thought there would be antipathy from him.
4 episodes in and it looks like Mariner is protected by nepotism. Probably not intentional nepotism, but it's still there. How else can you explain the captain trying constructive dismissal to get Mariner to leave, instead of just requesting the transfer herself ?

I'm also wondering what the point of the spying was. Even if Boimler had complied, he wouldn't have said anything that the senior officers didn't already know about Mariner.
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

Jub wrote: 2020-08-24 01:17pm I guess this really hasn't grabbed anyone here given the lack of posts. I though episode 2 was just okay, nothing too amazing, and I haven't caught up with episode 3 just yet.
I think it's just been released where I live because the show was new to me (hence the necro). I pretty much binge watched it in a week because I loved it. It' has everything I love about 90's Star Trek (but way more action-packed) with the zaniness of Futurama or Rick and Morty. My favorite episode was with the transporter mishap. The cloned labrador was... interesting (I really hope to see The Dog come back in the future, as well as Lieutenant Shaxs
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

I found I loved this show, and Tendi is just utterly adorable.
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

My favorite aspect of the show was how they never took themselves too seriously all the time. It was more of a light-hearted view of Trek that we don't see all that often. I mean there's a reason why the #1 favorite TOS episode of all time is Trouble with Tribbles.
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
TrekkieJeff2000
Redshirt

Post by TrekkieJeff2000 »

Borgholio wrote: 2021-02-12 06:39pm My favorite aspect of the show was how they never took themselves too seriously all the time. It was more of a light-hearted view of Trek that we don't see all that often. I mean there's a reason why the #1 favorite TOS episode of all time is Trouble with Tribbles.
I agree. It’s light and fun and has a healthy amount of references from the main series mixed in. I look forward to more episodes.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Something I found nice about the series is that Spoiler
they were able make the Pakleds a serious threat (well to the Cerritos and other similar caliber of ships) without loosing the "kind of dumb" characterization they had in TNG
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
applejack
Padawan Learner

Post by applejack »

Trailer for season 2 came out:

I have to say, I was surprised to be so happy to see a Tamarian make a cameo. Not to mention hearing what appears to be Jeffrey Combs as the evil supercomputer.
Dear Lord, the gods have been good to me. As an offering, I present these milk and cookies. If you wish me to eat them instead, please give me no sign whatsoever *pauses* Thy will be done *munch munch munch*. - Homer Simpson
TrekkieJeff2000
Redshirt

Post by TrekkieJeff2000 »

I’m definitely looking forward to season 2. I was pleasantly surprised how they slipped so many references to the past shows into this one and view it as a funny comedy.
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

darth_timon wrote: 2020-09-12 04:24pm I'm annoyed that so far, this isn't available to view in the UK.
It's on Amazon Prime Video now. I just binged the first series and the start of the second. I'm surprised no-one has commented on the opening credits showing a huge battle between Romulan D'deridex Warbirds and Borg Cubes, and the Cerritos fleeting like a scalded cat when one of the ships fires at them. Hell, I'd like to see the outcome of that particular battle! :twisted:

The design of the ship itself looks a bit odd, it appears the only means of travelling between the engineering hull and the saucer section is via transporter as I cannot envision turbolift shafts running through the nacelle pylons.

Riker and Troi showing up in the Titan does a good job of tying the series into the rest of the Trek universe. It's what, 6 Trek series that Frakes has appeared in now? :lol:

Mariner and Boimler are both extremely annoying in their own ways, the only reason Mariner is still in Starfleet let alone serving on a starship despite her reckless incompetence causing problems for Boimler is nepotism on the part of her mother, the captain. And Boimler's purple hair looks stupid :mrgreen:
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

Steve wrote: 2021-02-11 09:52am I found I loved this show, and Tendi is just utterly adorable.
Maybe that's just the Orions pheromones talking
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

Lord Revan wrote: 2021-03-08 11:06am Something I found nice about the series is that Spoiler
they were able make the Pakleds a serious threat (well to the Cerritos and other similar caliber of ships) without loosing the "kind of dumb" characterization they had in TNG
The season 2 episode with the Pakled super spy was hilarious. Their initial plan was actually pretty clever. It's execution might have lacked a little subtlety or finesse though
GuppyShark
Sith Devotee

Post by GuppyShark »

Is it just me or is S2 focusing a lot more on the bridge crew this time around?
Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Post by Majin Gojira »

I just gave it a shot for the first time after all the complaints, and I honestly really like it. I'm not just invested in the characters, but it really feels like all the jokes are being made because they love this stuff so much. They use continuity to tell new tales while having fun along the way and I really like the balance they have with it.

I haven't enjoyed a Star Trek series this much since DS9, but for very different reasons.
ISARMA: Daikaiju Coordinator: Just Add Radiation
Justice League- Molly Hayes: Respect Hats or Freakin' Else!
Browncoat
Supernatural Taisen - "[This Story] is essentially "Wouldn't it be awesome if this happened?" Followed by explosions."

Reviewing movies is a lot like Paleontology: The Evidence is there...but no one seems to agree upon it.

"God! Are you so bored that you enjoy seeing us humans suffer?! Why can't you let this poor man live happily with his son! What kind of God are you, crushing us like ants?!" - Kyoami, Ran
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

When they introduced the new Tamarian crew member I just knew at some point he would utter "Shaka, when the walls fell" and sure enough, last line of the episode that's exactly what he did! :mrgreen:

One of the episodes had Boimler meet a clique ironically calling themselves the Red Shirts, who seem cool at first but turn out to be all talk by imitating legendary captains but nothing else. They did make him look awesome with the makeover, it's just a pity he didn't keep the restyled hair, albeit the two-tone colour didn't look as good as the solid purple.
GuppyShark
Sith Devotee

Post by GuppyShark »

S2E9 is a great episode, probably my favourite of the series. No spoils but I hope one of the characters joins the normal cast.
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

That season finale. Damn. Like, all good, then they whammy us.

Also, looks like that clumsy engineering lower decker from "Q Who" went up in the world.
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED