What would your ugliest Starfleet ship look like?

PST: discuss Star Trek without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

What would your ugliest Starfleet ship look like?

Post by Lord Revan »

Excluding canon (or prominent official ones) designs what would your ugliest possible Starfleet design look like? For a bit of backround in case you need it I was thinking of kind of prototype starfleet vessel that would be a)totally against typical starfleet design philosophy and made to solve a problem that doesn't exist b) inefficient, overengineered and too expensive, c)so ugly that not even its "mother" would love it.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Re: What would your ugliest Starfleet ship look like?

Post by Solauren »

"Cerebrus Class"

6 Warp nacelles, around a stacked, triple 'main hull'. Upper and lower hull are slightly forward.
2 Saucer Sections, one 'upper', 1 'lower'. necks are connected to a front array, so they can 'spin' on an axis centered in the 'center main hull'
Saucer Sections each have a their own Nacelle as well
Third 'Saucer' that looks like a two Interpid class sauchers, top to top, without a bottom.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
houser2112
Padawan Learner

Post by houser2112 »

Lord Revan wrote: 2020-02-19 05:01pmExcluding canon (or prominent official ones) designs what would your ugliest possible Starfleet design look like?
You can't ask for the uglliest Starfleet design and disallow Excelsior. :)
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

“Janeway Class”

Shaped as a human hand (which apparently is very common in the AQ). Primary role - diplomatic missions where aggravating the other party is key, and the ship itself is used to make obscene gestures.

Each “digit” has the same joints and range of motion as human fingers and thumb, respectively. The interior of the digits are modular, though primarily designed for weapons / antimatter storage and movement (more on that later). Each digit is capable of separating from the rest of the “hand” and can do independent operations. To give a sense of scale, each “finger tip” is about the size and shape of Voyagers saucer section.

All of them are connected directly with the universal translator, and upon coming into visual range of the other party will automatically conform themselves to the most obscene gesture known for that culture. As a default when operating in friendly territory the ship will be in the “Federation standard” configuration aka a clenched fist giving the middle finger.

The “palm” of the ship will contain the bulk of the ships functions, such as crew areas, engineering etc. The back of the ship or “wrist” will have the shuttle bay and warp nacelles. I’m thinking 5 nacelles here. Top speed is warp 9.5.

Like Voyager (and its namesake captain) the “Janeway Class” is capable of landing on a planet. Unlike Voyager it is also capable of walking on the ground, shuffling on its fingers like a giant crab/face hugger. The ship is programmed to still make obscene gestures while doing so, where possible. Top walking speed is 100 km/h.

For armaments, each “digit” has a type X phaser “ring” around it, painted gold. The “knuckles” on the hand house the torpedo launchers. There is also a golden phaser bracelet around the “wrist” of the ship.

In the event decisive action can be taken and/or WMD use is deemed necessary, the “digits” can be used to ram the opposing ship or used as a kinetic device to slam into a target from orbit. Each “finger nail” is made of the most dense material available to assist in penetrating power. For max effect the digits are capable of being filled with antimatter before hand.

The “Janeway Class” is best used in pairs as that significantly increases the available number of gestures.
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - The official Troll motto, as stated by Adam Savage
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

houser2112 wrote: 2020-02-20 08:01am
Lord Revan wrote: 2020-02-19 05:01pmExcluding canon (or prominent official ones) designs what would your ugliest possible Starfleet design look like?
You can't ask for the uglliest Starfleet design and disallow Excelsior. :)
Actually I don't think the Excelsior is that bad, honestly that rule is in Place so that this thread won't be filled with pointless "take that" posts against Discovery by dissing the Crossfield, not because they dislike the design but rather they it's a cleaver way to bash DSC (while I wasn't a fan of the design at first but it's grown on me), here a hint, it isn't.
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Captain Seafort
Jedi Council Member

Post by Captain Seafort »

Lord Revan wrote: 2020-02-20 08:57amActually I don't think the Excelsior is that bad, honestly that rule is in Place so that this thread won't be filled with pointless "take that" posts against Discovery by dissing the Crossfield, not because they dislike the design but rather they it's a cleaver way to bash DSC (while I wasn't a fan of the design at first but it's grown on me), here a hint, it isn't.
Unfortunately that rule also excludes the Yeager class. I'm not convinced anyone came come up with anything uglier than that monstrosity.
SpottedKitty
Jedi Master

Post by SpottedKitty »

Not sure about "ugliest", but I never understood why the Ambassador-class design put the warp nacelles so close to the edge of the saucer. It just looks weird.
“Despite rumor, Death isn't cruel — merely terribly, terribly good at his job.”
Terry Pratchett, Sourcery
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

SpottedKitty wrote: 2020-02-20 05:01pm Not sure about "ugliest", but I never understood why the Ambassador-class design put the warp nacelles so close to the edge of the saucer. It just looks weird.
I think it was to mimic the Excelsior class that similary has the warp nacelles close to the trailing edge of the saucer. the Ambassador is suppose to be the design between the Excelsior and Galaxy after all.
darth_timon
Padawan Learner

Post by darth_timon »

Imagine taking the nose of a Defiant-class, sticking it on the end of am Ambassador, and also tucking in the weird Steamrunner nacelles into the Ambassador's saucer...
SpottedKitty
Jedi Master

Post by SpottedKitty »

darth_timon wrote: 2020-03-18 05:40pm Imagine taking the nose of a Defiant-class, sticking it on the end of am Ambassador, and also tucking in the weird Steamrunner nacelles into the Ambassador's saucer...
Zefram Cochrane saw that in a dream once. That's why he started drinking. :twisted: :roll: :wink:
“Despite rumor, Death isn't cruel — merely terribly, terribly good at his job.”
Terry Pratchett, Sourcery
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

Quite a few of fan made Trek ships from the "Starships and Space Stations Of The Galaxy" FB group. *shudder*
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!