Picard - general discussion [spoilers]

PST: discuss Star Trek without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Re: Picard - general discussion [spoilers]

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

Formless wrote: 2023-05-04 09:08pm
EnterpriseSovereign wrote: 2023-04-29 12:07pmYou do realise you can say the exact same thing about Memory Alpha, right? :wink: Besides, the passage I quoted actually does cite the relevant episodes which you'd have noticed had you bothered to read never mind address it.
Again, not true. Memory Alpha requires citations; TVTropes explicitly says in their policies that they do not. They also have a history of users making overly broad statements that have required them to redefine tropes over time as their utility was called into question, or to rope off an entire category of "tropes" as related more to an audience's reactions than what is actually in the text, and therefore need to be listed on the YMMV part of a show's page rather than the general Trope page, etc. The problem I'm trying to highlight is the community, not just the site.
I was obviously referring to the ability of anyone to edit both sites, but any issues of the community are ultimately irrelevant to this discussion because in this specific instance it does cite the relevant sources. And I already gave my reasoning for using it.
To quote the Borg, this is irrelevant. Her ass was never chewed out by Necheyev, so she doesn't have Picard's specific orders to harm the Borg; and the fact that the war could be beneficial to the Federation was brought up in an argument with Chakotay, so it isn't like the writers forgot. They just really, really wanted to sell Species 8472 as the greater threat in that episode, because of the show's overall "Janeway is always right" syndrome that only lessened when they had Seven of Nine there as a counterbalance, a member of the crew who isn't completely pussy whipped like Chakotay (remember, he essentially apologizes to Janeway at the end of Scorpion!). After Scorpion, Janeway goes right back to being a stickler for Starfleet regulation. Thus, you can't cherry pick this episode as a sign of character development. With the exceptions of the Doctor and Seven, Voyager was where character development went to die.
Nechayev chewed out Picard for having the opportunity to cripple the Borg in "I, Borg" (by using Hugh) and not using it. Whether ultimately the effects of Hugh's individuality (which led to the events of "Descent" where Lore took over) were more damaging to the collective as Picard had hoped than that stupid unsolvable geometric shape idea, was never explored.
That was future Janeway. Our Janeway actually managed to convince her to compromise with her on destroying the Transwarp hub and sacrifice herself to deliver that stupid Borg virus. If anything, Future Janeway is proof that Voyager is where character development goes to die and that our Janeway remains a stickler for Starfleet protocol. This, remember, is after that one guy with the ship disguised as a Starfleet ship showed her the consequences of helping the Borg defeat Species 8472, so there is in-universe reason to think she changed her mind about that being a good idea.
That one guy was named Arturis from species 116, and the ship was the USS Dauntless. Incidentally Hope and Fear does go some way to developing both Janeway and Seven's relationship.
If you had watched the episode in question, and I have, you would know the conflict between her and Ransom started because she used a technicality in Starfleet protocol concerning her ship being tactically superior and not beat to crap as a way of pulling rank on someone who has the same rank as her. Yes, she is a douche, but she's a douche within the rules of Starfleet. It isn't until she attempts to torture one of his crewmembers in that episode that it becomes clear she's made it a personal vendetta and is willing to break the rules to follow it. And after this two-parter, everything is forgotten because Voyager... say it with me... is where character development goes to die.
The episode's novelization reveals that Janeway only quotes half the regulation, and it doesn't actually allow her to order Ransom and his crew to abandon ship.
Dude, I can't say that. Not with a straight face anyway! :lol: The Voyager-sized caveat "the exceptions of the Doctor and Seven" contradicts your later statement.

For what it's worth you are right about one thing, there is no lingering problem with Janeway; there is no deeper issue coming to the fore and it all gets forgotten the next episode. And that's not the only time it happens, the ultimate example is The Voyager Conspiracy and how easily Seven turns Janeway and Chakotay against one another, and is never addressed again. Voyager... is where continuity goes to die :P
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Apparently so is Picard.

This Janeway discussion seems to have gotten along way from the original point about Crusher Jnr.
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

Crazedwraith wrote: 2023-05-05 03:54pm Apparently so is Picard.

This Janeway discussion seems to have gotten along way from the original point about Crusher Jnr.
Indeed, if nothing else I can see that pissing off a lot of the Titan's regular personnel that some outsider should just come in like that to become the captain's right hand man regardless of who his parents happen to be.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

EnterpriseSovereign wrote: 2023-05-05 05:29pm
Crazedwraith wrote: 2023-05-05 03:54pm Apparently so is Picard.

Indeed, if nothing else I can see that pissing off a lot of the Titan's regular personnel that some outsider should just come in like that to become the captain's right hand man regardless of who his parents happen to be.
Considering Jack is someone who a lot of their colleagues died to protect in the name of starfleet principles. And then he ran off and joined up with the person they were dying to protect him from, and then he assimilated them and forced them to do terrible things to their friends/superior officers and Earth, there should be a lot of resentment there I should think.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

There didn't seem to be all that much resentment against Picard when he came back from a similar experience (if on a smaller scale) from being Locutus of Borg. And so far, there hasn't been any time to SHOW whatever resentment may be there.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Batman wrote: 2023-05-05 06:01pm There didn't seem to be all that much resentment against Picard when he came back from a similar experience (if on a smaller scale) from being Locutus of Borg. And so far, there hasn't been any time to SHOW whatever resentment may be there.
Yes, apart from at least two canonical examples of officers that were extremely resentful plus the fact that Picard was obviously and undeniable kidnapped and forced into being Locutus whereas Jack broke out of quarters, hijacked and a ship and flew off to the queen apparently willingly.

And no shit there hasn't been time to, we were speculating about the crews reaction.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Two officers...which isn't exactly much given how many people Locutus got killed at Wolf 359 (however unvoluntarily), and maybe the high and mighty and oh so evolved Federation recognized that he did so because that was the least immidiately shitty solution availabe to him (even if long term it turned out to be disastrous one),but yes if the series continues, I'd expect to see a lot of resenment against Picard jr.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Evilchumlee
Youngling

Post by Evilchumlee »

Crazedwraith wrote: 2023-05-05 06:34pm
Batman wrote: 2023-05-05 06:01pm There didn't seem to be all that much resentment against Picard when he came back from a similar experience (if on a smaller scale) from being Locutus of Borg. And so far, there hasn't been any time to SHOW whatever resentment may be there.
Yes, apart from at least two canonical examples of officers that were extremely resentful plus the fact that Picard was obviously and undeniable kidnapped and forced into being Locutus whereas Jack broke out of quarters, hijacked and a ship and flew off to the queen apparently willingly.

And no shit there hasn't been time to, we were speculating about the crews reaction.
While the crews might not KNOW or even believe it, Jack clearly didn't just... decide to go. We was being coerced, the Queen had been in his head quite literally his entire life. He was forced to participate just as much as Picard was... just in a different way.