Photon and Quantic torpedoes power output

PST: discuss Star Trek without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

WhiteLion
Padawan Learner

Photon and Quantic torpedoes power output

Post by WhiteLion »

Hi everyone, on the various Star Trek wikias they always give 25,000 megajoules as photonic torpedoes, while for quantum torpedoes they give 10 ^ 5 megajoules. I converted the figure into Megatoni and Gigatoni on the online converter and the result has a negative exponent, try to check you too, I leave the link:

https://www.google.com/search?biw=1280& ... CAs & uact = 5

it seems strange to me because I remember a photon torpedo should have about 50 megatons
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Re: Photon and Quantic torpedoes power output

Post by Batman »

Um-yeah. No. 25,000MJ gives you about 6 tons of TNT because one lousy MT is 4.18E15J while 25000MJ is 2.5E7. Not only would 10E5MJ be 2.5 times 'less' than your photon torpedoes but I seriously suspect you don't know what those numbers actually mean
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Darth Lucifer
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Lucifer »

WhiteLion wrote: 2019-09-12 07:18pm...it seems strange to me because I remember a photon torpedo should have about 50 megatons
You're close, the figure most often quoted by fans was from the Star Trek: The Next Generation Technical Manual, which stated that photon torpedoes carried a payload of 1.5kg of antimatter (~64 megatons). This figure, however, is not canon as it was never stated or shown on-screen in any episode.

At a later point in the televised series and also in the Star Trek Encyclopedia, the term used to describe energy output was the isoton. In that book, the authors stated that an isoton may never be defined precisely. Personally, I think that the writing staff decided that direct conversions to real world measures should not be used to avoid science and continuity errors.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

@WhiteLion
I think I owe you an apology. I stand by the core of my statement but that could have been phrased less agressively.
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

And while 'I' think my math holds up you should really check with somebody else before accepting it because I'm really shitty at math
WhiteLion
Padawan Learner

Post by WhiteLion »

Batman, don't worry, you're right, I don't understand much about mathematics, I've never been good.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

While got insanely "breaks planets apart" high yields and "less damage then if you dropped casing from high orbit" low yields. on average photons tend to have yields around high KT-low(ish) MT range based on observation for QT we don't got enough info. Not helped by Photon(ic) torps being variable yield weapons (and that was stated on screen in the last episode of season 2 of ENT or first of season 3 (I can't remember which atm), when they got their first batch of photonic torps).
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

Photorps at least and at least per TNG are 'definitely' dial-a-yield. There's numerous mentions of 'set torpedo to level x' throughout the series. Data's 'illumination' torpedoes from 'Redemption Pt II' come to mind
And when did we get 'breaks planet apart' torpedo yields?
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

That's probably referring to Kim's hyperbole in "The Omega Directive" about the (definitely non-standard) "Gravimetric charge."
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

actually I was referring to "anti-matter charge" from a TOS episode "obsession" where an ounce of antimatter left a huge crater at the surface using the 1.5kg payload figure it would mean that photon torps would be planet crackers.

That said it's an outlayer never really repeated so it should be ignore the same way the pathetically low yield from ST5 should be ignored.
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Captain Seafort
Jedi Council Member

Post by Captain Seafort »

Lord Revan wrote: 2019-09-15 03:16amThat said it's an outlayer never really repeated so it should be ignore the same way the pathetically low yield from ST5 should be ignored.
I'm not sure it should be entirely ignored, because there's an awful lot of TOS that's fairly consistent within the series but doesn't mesh at all well with later series - the long list of explicit or implied speeds that would have had Voyager home in a few weeks, for example.

The ST5 shot can easily be explained as the low end of the variable yield - the "knock a comm array off a shuttlepod without scratching the hull" setting Reed attributed to the NX-01's photonics.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

The "Obsession" example causes a whole bunch of problems, not least because of the stated yield for an antimatter device. Namely, it implies that the Big E's ordinary photon torpedoes aren't antimatter warheads themselves, something that pretty much everything else I know of ignores or disputes.

There is also how the hell you get a continent-wrecking yield from an ounce of antimatter. My personal theory is they actually built a crude subspace weapon like the Son'a use. It's about the only thing I can think of that makes a semblance of sense.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

What were the yields of the torpedoes used by the Romulan/Cardassian fleet that bombed what they thought was the Founders homeworld?
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

Post by Imperial Overlord »

FaxModem1 wrote: 2019-09-15 12:55pm What were the yields of the torpedoes used by the Romulan/Cardassian fleet that bombed what they thought was the Founders homeworld?
Too many issues with the scene to calculate. The fireballs dissipate far too quickly for large scale explosions, the dialogue doesn't give us numbers we can work with, and there's sensor spoofing going on.
The Excellent Prismatic Spray. For when you absolutely, positively must kill a motherfucker. Accept no substitutions. Contact a magician of the later Aeons for details. Some conditions may apply.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Imperial Overlord wrote: 2019-09-15 01:33pm
FaxModem1 wrote: 2019-09-15 12:55pm What were the yields of the torpedoes used by the Romulan/Cardassian fleet that bombed what they thought was the Founders homeworld?
Too many issues with the scene to calculate. The fireballs dissipate far too quickly for large scale explosions, the dialogue doesn't give us numbers we can work with, and there's sensor spoofing going on.
and it's a mix of energy weapons and torps so we can't say for sure how of the visible effects was done by the torps and how much by the energy weapons.
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Imperial Overlord wrote: 2019-09-15 01:33pm
It should be noted that while it's traditional to point out that there is spoofing around here to dispute the effects of the weapons, the dialogue implies that such a fleet must be capable of the destruction indicated.

If they were not, and only capable of "conventional" megatonnes of damage, the scene is about as realistic as expecting a Russian artilleryman in WW2 to be fooled into thinking he'd blown up all of Berlin in one shot with a Katuysha. They'd obviously know what their weapons should be capable of and not be fooled by readings indicating that they had been ten thousand times more effective than they should be.

The best reconciliation of the scene IMO is that the disruptors would have disintegrated the crust and that photons and plasma torpedos would have been targeted on suspected strongpoints or installations. IE that the damage could indeed be done but that it wasn't reliant on simple antimatter explosion.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

Post by Imperial Overlord »

I don't think anyone is arguing that 20 large Star Trek warships aren't capable of razing the surface (and instillations in the subsurface) of an undefended planet. The scene isn't any good for torpedo calculations and the giant fireballs don't behave like giant fireballs so trying to calc them like fireballs is problematic. When civilizations that can harness antimatter and quantum black holes bombard a planet, the planet is going to get wrecked.
The Excellent Prismatic Spray. For when you absolutely, positively must kill a motherfucker. Accept no substitutions. Contact a magician of the later Aeons for details. Some conditions may apply.
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Mostly that there's no need to mention the sensor spoofing, though it's traditional there's no reason to think it conveys anything misleading about the abilities on display!
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Captain Seafort
Jedi Council Member

Post by Captain Seafort »

NecronLord wrote: 2019-09-20 05:56amThe best reconciliation of the scene IMO is that the disruptors would have disintegrated the crust and that photons and plasma torpedos would have been targeted on suspected strongpoints or installations. IE that the damage could indeed be done but that it wasn't reliant on simple antimatter explosion.
While I agree that the sensor-spoofing argument is a red herring, that seriously contradicts the many examples of the E-D using its phasers to drill holes in planets at a rate vastly less than that predicted in TDiC, and the fact that Riker suggested using "almost all" the E-D's PTs against the Pegasus asteroid, which wouldn't have lasted a second against phasers capable of vanishing rock at a similar rate to the TDiC prediction.
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

One of the main things about chain reactions is of course that they are exponential. Fifty warbirds may be able to achieve far more than fifty times one individual warbird.
WhiteLion
Padawan Learner

Post by WhiteLion »

Besides the TOS and Voyager episodes, there is also that of Discovery who posted NecronLord some time ago, in which explosions were seen that devastated vast areas of continents. For 3-4 torpedoes they would do continental destruction. Considering also this episode are three cases in which we can consider a high power.
Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

As opposed to scores of them NOT doing it and exceeding the yield physically possible for M/AM warheads
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Wasn't it implied that those hits were from Mycelial powered weapon mounted on the Charon and developed by Mirror Stamets.
WhiteLion
Padawan Learner

Post by WhiteLion »

from the video it appears that the torpedoes are fired from a ship of the same class as the discovery. Even if it is in the mirror universe the weapons are the same. But if in the episode they say it's another weapon or if you know details that I don't know it's another matter, I haven't seen the last episodes of Discovery yet.
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Batman wrote: 2019-09-30 08:27pm As opposed to scores of them NOT doing it and exceeding the yield physically possible for M/AM warheads
Measuring performances by modal order of magnitude firepower is fine, of course, and it would soon result in some interesting performances for Star Wars and some other franchises we historically treasure high firepower.

Of course we know that the general feel of Star Trek having "realistic" firepower figures is because the writers in the Sternbach era did the math behind the scenes, and were obliging enough to publish a lot of their working in the ST:TNG:TM.

I don't think that has predictive power, as we are now very much in the post-Sternbach era, and there's no clear playbook for what the technology is capable of being used by the writers of the various Star Trek productions, as may be witnessed by things like the movies obliging us with fifty long range photon torpedo launchers in the NX-01's engineering sections mounted like broadside guns (!) and the various fighter-based battles in Star Trek Discovery. With multiple production companies, multiple semi-competing series, consistency is bound to decline; and I suspect it'll decline in the direction of more awesome/capable things.

I suspect the actual level of boom we're seeing now is going to remain in excess of what the Star Trek TM. Certainly in other ways; e.g. overall weapons, smallcraft, etc, the modern productions tend to add rather than take capabilities from the Federation's ships.
Lord Revan wrote: 2019-10-01 08:04am Wasn't it implied that those hits were from Mycelial powered weapon mounted on the Charon and developed by Mirror Stamets.
The script does indeed imply that the ship used a superweapon to bombard Harlack. Doylian we know this is because the ship was originally intended to have a single vast super-weapon like the Doomsday machine; the Charon is visually designed to look like a cruder derivative of the Doomsday Machine, and actually a planet destroyer. This is from John Eaves' recent book.

In the script as performed this is omitted, but it is noted the ship is extraordinarily powerful due to its Mycelial core by Mirror-Stamets.

It's conceivable that the power core on the Charon allows it to manufacture much more antimatter of course.