Could Ziyal have been a bridge between Cardassian and Bajoran cultures?

PST: discuss Star Trek without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Could Ziyal have been a bridge between Cardassian and Bajoran cultures?

Post by FaxModem1 »

Over the course of DS9, Ziyal's art career starts to emerge, with it mentioned that she is taking cues from both famous Cardassian artists, and famous Bajoran ones. She even states in Sons and Daughters:
Sons and Daughters wrote:ZIYAL: Vedek Nane taught me to focus intently on the image that I want to evoke, to allow it to fully form in my mind before I even pick up the brush. Well, what do you think?
KIRA: They're very good.
ZIYAL: You think so?
KIRA: They remind me of Vedek Topek's early work.
DUKAT: How ironic. I was about to say that they're similar in style to Nanpart Malor, the founder of the Valonnan school on Cardassia.
ZIYAL: The director of the Cardassian Institute of Art said the same thing.
DUKAT: You spoke with the director?
ZIYAL: I sent him some of my drawings.
DUKAT: You should have told me, Ziyal. I could have arranged for you to meet him in person.
ZIYAL: I know. I wanted to do this on my own. He said I have a real gift. The Institute is having an exhibition of new artists next month. He might want to include my work.
DUKAT: Wonderful!
ZIYAL: It's a chance to show that both Bajorans and Cardassians look at the universe the same way. That's what I want to do with my work, bring people together. I guess it sounds a little silly.
DUKAT: On the contrary, my dear. You're quite eloquent.
So, with Ziyal being a talented artist, and if she had lived through the Dominion War, could she have been that bridge between the two peoples who were enemies for so long?
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Re: Could Ziyal have been a bridge between Cardassian and Bajoran cultures?

Post by Gandalf »

The enmity caused by sixty years of colonial oppression won't be solved by the daughter of Gul Dukat painting nice pictures.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Gandalf wrote: 2019-08-17 08:41pm The enmity caused by sixty years of colonial oppression won't be solved by the daughter of Gul Dukat painting nice pictures.
I don't think anyone's suggesting that she could have resolved all conflict between Cardassians and Bajorans single-handed. I doubt she would have made it worse, though.

Sadly, its a moot point, because Damar had an itchy trigger finger. Which sadly is quite possible what would have happened to her sooner or later anyway. There would have been plenty of other Cardassians, and Bajorans, who would have objected to the existence of a mixed race woman trying to bridge their peoples.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

She could have started laying the foundation of that bridge, but she wouldn't be the bridge in of herself.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.