What can a scientist in Star Trek be left to do?

PST: discuss Star Trek without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Maximum7
Youngling

What can a scientist in Star Trek be left to do?

Post by Maximum7 »

I also love Trek!!!

Anyways, I might write a Star Trek story. I like science so I’m going to stick with it this time. Star Trek has time travel, matter replication, super-advanced holograms, teleportation, FTL travel, sub-atomic material manipulation, cures to most “old” diseases and known existence of parallel universes. What could a scientist have left to do? It’s for my story.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Re: What can a scientist in Star Trek be left to do?

Post by Batman »

A fuckton of things? Increase transporter range, work on the things that currently can't be transported/replicated, make Transwarp work 'without' Borg technology, reliable Quantum Slipstream drive, Endgame Batmobile armour, recreate the mobile emitter, reintroduce ergonomically sensible hand phasers, nonlethal holodecks, ship designs that actually limit damage to the parts of the ship actually damaged as opposed to making a completely unrelated system conk out...
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

Maximum7 wrote: 2019-05-27 09:52pm I also love Trek!!!

Anyways, I might write a Star Trek story. I like science so I’m going to stick with it this time. Star Trek has time travel, matter replication, super-advanced holograms, teleportation, FTL travel, sub-atomic material manipulation, cures to most “old” diseases and known existence of parallel universes. What could a scientist have left to do? It’s for my story.
How'd your Star Wars story turn out?
Maximum7
Youngling

Post by Maximum7 »

Jub wrote: 2019-05-27 10:17pm

It fell apart like a graham cracker in water. :banghead:
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Maximum7 wrote: 2019-05-27 10:26pm
Jub wrote: 2019-05-27 10:17pm

It fell apart like a graham cracker in water. :banghead:
So what are you going to do differently this time ?
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Writing is one of those things where you have to make a lot of mistakes in order to learn how to do it well. Persistence! Practice may not make perfect, but it usually makes better.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

In my idea of future Trek fan fiction they technobabble some more powerful energy source and the possibilities open up. When I say new energy source, I mean something much more powerful than what a warp core can produce. So think about how coal revolutionise industry, and you have possibilities. Now imagine a conflict where industrialising power fights one still hasn't done so, lets say the Crimean war. In this conflict, the British in the Crimean war helped with logistics using railways whereas Russia struggled.

You could do this in Trek with one side having a superior energy source even if weapons aren't that much different. You can have lots of possibilities in use of this new technology, for example logistics. We know warp drive can go faster if you crank it up, but it can only last a short time (hence why Voyager calculated 75 years to return to the AQ based on average rather than fastest warp speed). We also know the Dominion did quite well due to logistics, their scanner tech managed to monitor fleet movements so they can get numbers to the battle. So if all ships are equipped with this new source, even if the weapons can't handle the output, you can still have faster average speeds and win at logistics.

Another way this energy source could be utilised is in replicators. More energy, you can convert to more matter. It could revolutionise the economy of Trek powers. I mean the AQ aren't exactly post scarcity Culture level, but you might get close depending on how much power your energy source can generate. If you remember Happy Target's Terran empire fics back in the day, the Trek powers in that universe have shipyards which are essentially giant replicators churning out ships. Well with a more powerful energy source, that possibility opens up.

For example some ideas that pass through my head about energy sources include

1. Dumping omega particles into a singularity and then the energy radiates out. Actually I used that in my Time Lords vs UFP fic. :D

2. Using Wesley's pocket universe in a static warp field idea. The idea of using collapsing universes isn't new, but you could have this pocket universe (uninhabited) collapse and powering up a generator of some sort from all that matter converted to energy. Sure its stretches credulity but it does involve a bit of "trek science" in there, to keep the Trek feel.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

If in doubt, have the scientist working on creating an element with a higher atomic number than anyone else has done previously. That's an area of research I don't see ending.

You just need to keep building even bigger and more powerful particle accelerators.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Messing with left over Borg tech.

It assimilates some Iconian tech, and things go insane from there :)
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

The important question is: How do you want your scientists to interact with the story ?

That will give some clues as to suitable areas they could be working in.
Maximum7
Youngling

Post by Maximum7 »

bilateralrope wrote: 2019-06-02 10:14pm The important question is: How do you want your scientists to interact with the story ?

It interacts with the very plot
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Maximum7 wrote: 2019-06-02 10:36pm
bilateralrope wrote: 2019-06-02 10:14pm The important question is: How do you want your scientists to interact with the story ?

What are the things your plot requires the scientist to do ?
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

Reverse engineering Echo Papa 607.
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
Maximum7
Youngling

Post by Maximum7 »

bilateralrope wrote: 2019-06-02 10:46pm

I'm thinking he needs to get grant money for something or he loses his job at the university he works at.
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

How to safeguard Starfleet ships against whale probes?
Formless
Sith Marauder

Post by Formless »

How about xenopsychology? Or biology? Or astronomy?

Not all of the sciences are physical sciences, you know. They clearly do a lot of anthropological research because they want to know these things, and you can't know how an alien mind works simply by knowing its brain chemistry. If it even has a brain. No matter how close scientists in Star Trek come to "solving" physics (and there is clearly a lot they have to learn on that front based on what we see), there are still other fields of study that aren't so easy. "The Measure of a Man" for instance showed that they don't have a solution to the problem of Consciousness, for instance. And they say in one episode that there is no known way to protect people from "psionic energy", in other words, they don't know how to block telepaths from reading your mind. Which seems like a pretty serious security concern, IMO, considering how many species have outright possessed members of the Enterprise crew over the years. Really, there are lots of things a scientist could be studying once you realize the breadth of fictional scientific problems Trek introduces for itself.
"Still, I would love to see human beings, and their constituent organ systems, trivialized and commercialized to the same extent as damn iPods and other crappy consumer products. It would be absolutely horrific, yet so wonderful." — Shroom Man 777
"To Err is Human; to Arrr is Pirate." — Skallagrim
“I would suggest "Schmuckulating", which is what Futurists do and, by extension, what they are." — Commenter "Rayneau"
The Magic Eight Ball Conspiracy.
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Maximum7 wrote: 2019-06-03 11:35am
bilateralrope wrote: 2019-06-02 10:46pm

I'm thinking he needs to get grant money for something or he loses his job at the university he works at.
Which university ?
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

Maximum7 wrote: 2019-06-03 11:35amI'm thinking he needs to get grant money for something or he loses his job at the university he works at.
Money in the UFP?

I'd also be inclined to offer more suggestions but given your lack of ability to elaborate on your stories and seeming need for others to create your ideas for you I'm inclined to think you might either be a good bot or a lame troll rather than any sort of actual writer.
Maximum7
Youngling

Post by Maximum7 »

Jub wrote: 2019-06-03 06:01pm
Maximum7 wrote: 2019-06-03 11:35amI'm thinking he needs to get grant money for something or he loses his job at the university he works at.
Money in the UFP?

I'd also be inclined to offer more suggestions but given your lack of ability to elaborate on your stories and seeming need for others to create your ideas for you I'm inclined to think you might either be a good bot or a lame troll rather than any sort of actual writer.
A bot doesn’t engage others and a troll wouldn’t waste this much time. I’m merely looking for story ideas. Every idea that I’ve come up with has been done already.
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Maximum7 wrote: 2019-06-03 06:20pm
Jub wrote: 2019-06-03 06:01pm
Money in the UFP?

A bot doesn’t engage others and a troll wouldn’t waste this much time. I’m merely looking for story ideas. Every idea that I’ve come up with has been done already.
That's not much of a surprise. Deciding that you want a scientist character, with very little detail of what you want your scientist to do, is going to be quite limiting.