Star Trek Picard Teaser Trailer

PST: discuss Star Trek without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Patroklos
Sith Devotee

Re: Star Trek Picard Teaser Trailer

Post by Patroklos »

[/root]
bilateralrope wrote: 2019-05-25 12:53am
Patroklos wrote: 2019-05-24 09:56pm Does it double down on a narrative entry that has a supernova destroying another star's planet in the time span between Nemisis and nuTrek? We should not reward this behavior if this series doesn't retcon this stupidity.
Of all the terrible science in Star Trek, why does this one anger you so much
1.)The scale of change to the setting, effectively removing what has been consistently the most effective and realized antogonist of the franchise, should not have been accomplished by such a handwave, the events of which we don’t even get to see.

2. Even for Star Trek the science is bad. They didn’t even bother to technobabble it, they just state it outright and then let it hang there like the audience is to stupid they won’t need the technobabble to add suspension of disbelief. I am no fan of technobabble as its just a way for writers to be lazy about the plot and/or science (see the horrendous technobabble they came up with to address this very instance, all that red matter Mumbai jumbo), but it does show they recognize there are plot or science issues to be resolved even if inadequately.

The two together make for an unearned and unnecessary major change in pursuit of absolutely nothing of value. The return to the prime continuity leads be to believe nuTrek won’t break out of its action movies. I see no reason to saddle the TNG TV legacy with the baggage of slapped together action movie plots, whether that be nuTrek OR TNGs own movies.
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Were you similarly upset by the Praxis shockwave in TUC? That wasn't even a star exploding.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

bilateralrope wrote: 2019-05-25 12:03am
Bob the Gunslinger wrote: 2019-05-24 12:47pm And if the Picard we get is JJverse quality, and a coward who quit Starfleet over a tragedy more mundane than his torture in Chains of Command or transformation into Locutus? Fans should just accept it because by default they are wrong?
Why does how mundane a tragedy is matter ?

Scale and who fucked up seems more important. If we are talking the destruction of Romulus, isn't that bigger than anything else Picard has had to deal with the aftermath of ?

If we are talking about a failure of Starfleet, that could easily shake Picard more than anything the Cardassians or the Borg did to him because he started with a much higher opinion of Starfleet.
Well he got over the fact that his family burned to death in a fire pretty damn quick, so this had better be something big. Though the less we talk about Generations the better :P
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - The official Troll motto, as stated by Adam Savage
Patroklos
Sith Devotee

Post by Patroklos »

Gandalf wrote: 2019-05-27 05:31pm Were you similarly upset by the Praxis shockwave in TUC? That wasn't even a star exploding.
How is it even remotely the same thing? The moon exploded,for which we were given a plausible explanation (over mining), it’s impact to the Klingons was primarily economic instead of physical (it was critical to the energy infrastructure via said mining) which is far more mutable a concept to work with for realistic acceptability, and the physical impact was limited to realistic and time appropriate effects on the planet it orbited or via the technobabble “sub space treatment” ( a entirely Star Trek fictional, but firmly espablished superluminal, property).

This is an example of how to do things right. Far more limited stake, using established concepts, logical causes and effects, and not radically breaking any basics of commonly understood physics a standard modern audience comes in with without some massaging or layering on top of well worn genre tropes.
phred
Jedi Knight

Post by phred »

Patroklos wrote: 2019-05-28 06:55am
Gandalf wrote: 2019-05-27 05:31pm Were you similarly upset by the Praxis shockwave in TUC? That wasn't even a star exploding.
How is it even remotely the same thing?
Where was the Excelsior when they were hit by the shockwave? Unless they were somewhere in the Klingon home system it shouldn't have even registered on their sensors. At least the nuTrek Romulans were wiped out by a supernova.

I guess 'splosions are bigger in the Trek verse
"Siege warfare, French for spawn camp" WTYP podcast

It's so bad it wraps back around to awesome then back to bad again, then back to halfway between awesome and bad. Like if ed wood directed a godzilla movie - Duckie
Patroklos
Sith Devotee

Post by Patroklos »

What the Excelsior encountered was a “sub space” shockeave, an entirely fictional ST concept, so they have leeway to run with it.

Does that mean I think that particular characteristic was artfully done? No. It’s visual character made it more physical explosion looking than technobabbly sub space, and it’s planar formation is stupid. I would have preferred to be an visually invisible phenomenon that maybe had an EMP like effect. I get it, movies are visual etc...

However, the sub space shockwave’s only lasting impact was tipping off the Federation to the disaster. It destroys nothing, it never comes up again. Seconds after it passes nobody is saying “oh my god, what’s in the path of that shockwave!.” Instead the cut to real plot drive, the loss of the Klingon’s primary energy source. The loss of the moon itself is the plot event. The impact on the Klingon home world is mentioned but not explored, and with a moon breaking up in orbit that shockwave is the least of that planets worries.

Like I said before, it’s the stakes. If you want to play fast and loose with casually understood physics without some sort of explaintion don’t rest the entire movie’s plot on it or drastically alter the continuity by erasing a major race (or two...) with it.
Alferd Packer
Sith Marauder

Post by Alferd Packer »

Full trailer is up.

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance--that principle is contempt prior to investigation." -Herbert Spencer

"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain." - Schiller, Die Jungfrau von Orleans, III vi.
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

I'm very curious as to what's going on, but it looks cool.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

I am quite optimistic, and it appears that Seven has definitely improved on her humanity-related skills.

Though I am hoping for a throwaway line about Seven/Annika having only just finished giving evidence at Janeway's court martial...
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

I have to wonder.....

In 'All Good Things', in the future, we saw Data alive, and the Klingons had conquered the Romulan Empire.

This trailer had ....
A spare body for Data
Data playing cards with Picard
Picard having retired over something, after the events of Nemesis.

could Picard have led the evacuation of the Romulan Star System/sector remains after the Supernova, and then the Klingons moved in an conquered the Romulan Empire, and the Federation did nothing? THAT could be reason for Picard to retire.

Then you have him reactivate data, and he gets to end up looking like 'a bloody skunk' eventually.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

Alas If this trailer is any indication, looks like it is going to be primarily an action / adventure series... which wasn’t what I was really hoping for. We have enough action series out there, I was kind of hoping for more of a psychological / political drama.

Yes yes it’s just a trailer, but so far it looks like Picard is still drinking some of Janeway’s testosterone-spiked tea. :P
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - The official Troll motto, as stated by Adam Savage
Mange
Sith Marauder

Post by Mange »

Tribble wrote: 2019-07-20 09:04pm Alas If this trailer is any indication, looks like it is going to be primarily an action / adventure series... which wasn’t what I was really hoping for. We have enough action series out there, I was kind of hoping for more of a psychological / political drama.
Really? With Kurtzman and the Disco people in charge?

And the Kelvin-Trek visual style...
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Tribble wrote: 2019-07-20 09:04pm Alas If this trailer is any indication, looks like it is going to be primarily an action / adventure series... which wasn’t what I was really hoping for. We have enough action series out there, I was kind of hoping for more of a psychological / political drama.

Yes yes it’s just a trailer, but so far it looks like Picard is still drinking some of Janeway’s testosterone-spiked tea. :P
From what I've heard (I think it was from the SF Debris videos), Stewart was always pushing them to give him more of an action hero role.

Not convinced he can sell that at his age, but we'll see.

Can't see the teaser right now, but I gather Seven of Nine is back? Cool. I'll watch at least one episode just for that.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2019-07-21 06:10am

From what I've heard (I think it was from the SF Debris videos), Stewart was always pushing them to give him more of an action hero role.

Not convinced he can sell that at his age, but we'll see.

Can't see the teaser right now, but I gather Seven of Nine is back? Cool. I'll watch at least one episode just for that.
She's back though acting much more human then she used (though that can be excused as character evolution off-screen) and assuming it's not digital de-aging Jeri Ryan looks really good, though there might be some de-aging involved as Data looks more or less the same as in Nemesis.

As for Picard being a broken my some incident that caused him to leave starfleet, why does it have to just that incident that was the sole cause, couldn't it be that said incident was the straw that broke the camel's back.

Also I wonder if Picard will go full on renegade or if it'll be "we can't give you official support but we won't condem or stop you either" from Starfleet.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

phred wrote: 2019-05-29 02:04am
Patroklos wrote: 2019-05-28 06:55am
How is it even remotely the same thing?
Where was the Excelsior when they were hit by the shockwave? Unless they were somewhere in the Klingon home system it shouldn't have even registered on their sensors. At least the nuTrek Romulans were wiped out by a supernova.

I guess 'splosions are bigger in the Trek verse
A moon exploding would register on sensors for a very great distance though of course it would travel at light-speed and no faster.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

NecronLord wrote: 2019-07-21 08:59am A moon exploding would register on sensors for a very great distance though of course it would travel at light-speed and no faster.
You'd hope so, lest someone land on Ceti Alpha V accidentally again.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

I'd just like to say, after that episode in Star Trek Enterprise with the borg, the protocol for autopsying borg drones needs to start with 'remove head.'
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
JI_Joe84
Padawan Learner

Post by JI_Joe84 »

What I got out of it, Damn Sir Patrick Stewart is getting old.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

So, having watched the trailer on Youtube:

-I wonder who the woman Picard is protecting is. She seemed android-ish to me. Some connection to Data? Another sapient android? Her appearance reminded me a bit of Data's short-lived daughter Lal. Mysterious damsel in distress is a pretty tired out plot hook to say the least, but I'm at least a little intrigued.

-Lots of Romulans, by the look of things. Although it can be hard to tell the difference between them and Vulcans, at a glance.

-The visual look is different from the old TNG/DS9/Voyager era, but that's to be expected. The TOS movies didn't look like TOS either. And the visual style seems at least vaguely reminiscent of the TNG movies.

-HOLY FUCK BORG CUBE! Guess they did survive the end of Voyager in some form. If they're going for a Picard-centric, more action-oriented show, it makes sense to bring them back, as they are definitely Picard's true nemesis.

-HOLY FUCK SEVEN! I really want to see how she interacts with Picard. Also, even mild swearing sounds weird coming from Seven of Nine.

Also, yes Jeri Ryan does still look that good- and I like that they didn't heavily de-age her (compared to, say Star Trek Online, where it looked like her animation hadn't aged a day in decades, though I suppose you could put that down to Borg tech.).

-The bridge Picard is on doesn't look Federation, or at least not standard Starfleet. Are we getting a Picard going rogue plot again? I kind of hope not- one thing I like about Star Trek is that its one of the few action/SF franchises that shows a mostly-functional government organization, rather than endlessly rehashing the old "lone vigilante going rogue to save the day because the government is evil/incompetent" plot (with its latent libertarian/Right-wing message).

-I wonder who the old female admiral Picard's talking to is. For a moment I thought it might be Janeway, but I don't think it is.

-Interesting bit where they're fighting on the stairs and one person vanishes in a flash of light mid-flight. New transporter tech? Or a personal cloak?

All in all, it works as a teaser, because it has me asking questions and wanting answers, and it also effectively invokes nostalgia, at least for me. I'd more or less given up hope of seeing more of the Prime timeline on TV or in film, and this teaser alone answers a bunch of questions, and raises a bunch more.

I didn't hate the Abrams films. I didn't watch Discovery, but I'm not a purist who rejects anything but the Trek I grew up on. But honestly, my thought after watching this, despite the little differences in tone and style, was "My Star Trek is back." Maybe it'll flop. But for the first time in a while, I am really eager to see a new Star Trek product. I'm also curious to see if they'll try and tie it in with Discovery, or incorporate any concepts from Star Trek Online.

It also doesn't hurt that if they pull it off, Picard (and the entire Prime timeline for that matter) can at least go out on a more dignified note than Nemesis.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

The ship picard is on doesn't seem to be Starfleet based on the fact that one the main cast is explicitly "ex-starfleet", that said it doesn't have to be "Picard is fighting Starfleet/Federation" it also be "Picard is forced to go solo because, starfleet cannot help him without putting the federation into danger", it would seem rather odd that Picard (or Seven of Nine) would have contacts to assemble a rogue crew, however if starfleet is helping him "off the books" they could point him at right direction without getting officially involved.

Remember while the "good guys" Starfleet is responsible of the whole federation not just themselves.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
NeoGoomba
Sith Devotee

Post by NeoGoomba »

So far we have Data, Riker, Troi, and Seven of Nine (boy I hope they give her a new name) confirmed for at least small appearances.

And I'm getting some serious "Logan" vibes from this film, except this time it is Professor X on one last mission to save a child. And that isn't a bad thing at all to me. I'm just hoping the writers remember that Picard as a character is the strongest and most engaging (hah!) when he is dealing with moral/political stuff, not shootbang action man, especially since he's pushing 80.
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know...tomorrow."
-Agent Kay
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2019-07-22 04:57am -HOLY FUCK BORG CUBE! Guess they did survive the end of Voyager in some form. If they're going for a Picard-centric, more action-oriented show, it makes sense to bring them back, as they are definitely Picard's true nemesis.
Are they a nemesis, or are they some Borg remnant that deserves protection ?

Because former Borg drones who want to be in a voluntary collective would have a lot of enemies.
SpottedKitty
Jedi Master

Post by SpottedKitty »

Alferd Packer wrote: 2019-07-20 04:51pm Full trailer is up.

Well, it was up. (Although it might be a "no UK viewers please" thing.) Anyone else got a link? All I can find are news reports and "reactions" clips.
“Despite rumor, Death isn't cruel — merely terribly, terribly good at his job.”
Terry Pratchett, Sourcery
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

bilateralrope wrote: 2019-07-22 03:38pm
The Romulan Republic wrote: 2019-07-22 04:57am -HOLY FUCK BORG CUBE! Guess they did survive the end of Voyager in some form. If they're going for a Picard-centric, more action-oriented show, it makes sense to bring them back, as they are definitely Picard's true nemesis.
Are they a nemesis, or are they some Borg remnant that deserves protection ?

Because former Borg drones who want to be in a voluntary collective would have a lot of enemies.
True. And either would have potential for a very compelling story.

You know what I hope they do, whether its with the Borg, the Romulans, or both? I hope they take the refugee crisis on, head-on. I hope they examine how innocent people can be feared and hated and persecuted for the crimes of others who happen to share their race or nationality. I hope they don't waffle it, don't try to half-ass it, don't try to be "fair and balanced" and "show both sides". I hope they take on the racism towards refugees head-on, through the lense of Star Trek, and embrace Trek's tradition of idealism and using science fiction to address social issues. And I hope they do it right.

That's probably too much to hope for. But that more than anything is what would elevate this show from entertaining fan service, to iconic Star Trek.

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Actually, making the show be about Picard having to come to terms with his lingering resentment and fear toward the Borg could be really powerful (albeit it could back fire by unintentionally comparing refugees to a hive mind, if not handled carefully).

Have it start with the destruction of the Romulan Empire. Picard, naturally, would seek to help the Romulans. He doesn't see Romulans as the enemy. But then, we get the Borg. His arch-enemies. The ones who abducted him, violated, him, turned him into a monster and used him to kill his friends and comrades. Now there are Borg, except they're different, they're not part of the Collective Picard knew, maybe not part of any collective at all, and they need the Federation's help. But many people don't want to give them that help. They fear them, and hate them, and they don't trust them. And now Picard finds himself conflicted. Because he may have come to terms with an ex-Borg before, but that's different from having to actually welcome them into the Federation, to live with them in large numbers, a constant presence in his utopian Federation. Picard realizes he's not as over that past as he thought. In theory, he might recognize that individual drones are not at fault for what the Collective did, that they are sapient beings deserving of the same rights and protection as any others. But he's still uncomfortable with it. Like those people who say "I'm not racist, but-" all the time, or who are okay with small numbers of minorities in certain roles, but not with a large influx that could fundamentally change the nature of their society. Have Picard grapple with that, with his own prejudice. Have Seven and Data call him out on it. And have him ultimately choose to stand for what he believes in, for the Federation's principles, and protect his former enemies against those who see them as just a threat or a collective.

That's what this show should be about. I don't expect it to be, I won't hate it if it isn't, but that's the show I want. That's the Star Trek we need.