Star Trek: Discovery Season 2 Review Thread *spoilers*

PST: discuss Star Trek without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Re: Star Trek: Discovery Season 2 Review Thread *spoilers*

Post by bilateralrope »

tezunegari wrote: 2019-03-16 07:01am Airiam... well, Star Trek now has Robocop.
And whatever tech is in her will not be an option for Pike for some reason.
tezunegari
Jedi Knight

Post by tezunegari »

bilateralrope wrote: 2019-03-16 02:08pm
Airiam suffered a shuttle crash, so I'd say destroyed body and moderate brain damage, possibly to the ability to form new memories.

Pike suffered severe irradiation due to a broken Warp baffler plate (I think) which might have destroyed the necessary nerves that Airiam still had.
IIRC half of Pikes face was badly burned by the radiation.
And if advanced technology that allows full body prostetics won't be able to be used the implied severity of damage is truely horrifying.

(Or this is an altered timeline where Airiams prostetic tech exists but in Prime Timeline it does not)
"Bring your thousands, I have my axe."
"Bring your cannons, I have my armor."
"Bring your mighty... I am my own champion."
Cue Unit-01 ramming half the Lance of Longinus down Adam's head and a bemused Gendo, "Wrong end, son."
Ikari Gendo, NGE Fanfiction "Standing Tall"
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

tezunegari wrote: 2019-03-16 04:02pm
bilateralrope wrote: 2019-03-16 02:08pm
Airiam suffered a shuttle crash, so I'd say destroyed body and moderate brain damage, possibly to the ability to form new memories.

Pike suffered severe irradiation due to a broken Warp baffler plate (I think) which might have destroyed the necessary nerves that Airiam still had.
IIRC half of Pikes face was badly burned by the radiation.
And if advanced technology that allows full body prostetics won't be able to be used the implied severity of damage is truely horrifying.

(Or this is an altered timeline where Airiams prostetic tech exists but in Prime Timeline it does not)
Another possibility is that Airiam's prostetics could have an option for pike but just not yet, because the damage is still too fresh to make such a major surgery.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
tezunegari
Jedi Knight

Post by tezunegari »

New info from the current episode:
  • There was only one set of Red Bursts: the first group of seven
  • Section 31 created the Red Angel suit
  • Burnham's mother worked on the suit
  • Leland fucked up and got Burnham's parents killed by not killing all traces of a time crystal (nice continuity with season 1's "Magic to make...") he stole from the klingons
  • Klingons were researching time travel
  • Empress Georgiou actually has an emotional attachment to Michael?!
  • Spoiler
    Leland gets eye-stabbed by the AI hiding on his ship, while unlocking some energy buffers for the trap... alone in a room with a device that can eye-stab him
  • The Red Angel is revealed to be:Spoiler
    Burnham's mother
Cue Unit-01 ramming half the Lance of Longinus down Adam's head and a bemused Gendo, "Wrong end, son."
amigocabal
Jedi Knight

Post by amigocabal »

tezunegari wrote: 2019-03-22 06:22am New info from the current episode:
  • There was only one set of Red Bursts: the first group of seven
  • Section 31 created the Red Angel suit
  • Burnham's mother worked on the suit
  • Leland fucked up and got Burnham's parents killed by not killing all traces of a time crystal (nice continuity with season 1's "Magic to make...") he stole from the klingons
  • Klingons were researching time travel
  • Empress Georgiou actually has an emotional attachment to Michael?!
  • Spoiler
    Leland gets eye-stabbed by the AI hiding on his ship, while unlocking some energy buffers for the trap... alone in a room with a device that can eye-stab him
  • The Red Angel is revealed to be:Spoiler
    Burnham's mother
This does beg the question of what happened regarding Project Daedalus in the Kelvin timeline, since it predates the attack on the Kelvin. Unless the project was some sort of indirect, For Want of a Nail result of one of Prime!Kirk's jaunts into the past...
Redleader34
Jedi Knight
Location: Flowing through the Animated Ether, finding unsusual creations

Post by Redleader34 »

I saw this on reddit but.. what if this is the origin of the Spoiler
borg.
Spoiler
Transwarp circuits are the Mycineal Network
Q Who gains even MORE relevance because "YOU CREATED THIS" irony
The implant look is ironic.
Dan's Art

Bounty on SDN's most annoying
"A spambot, a spambot who can't spell, a spambot who can't spell or spam properly and a spambot with tenure. Tough"choice."

tezunegari
Jedi Knight

Post by tezunegari »

Oh for fucks sake... these writers need some common sense.

Now Mama and Daddy Burnham discuss the highly classified research project infront of their 10-12 year old daughter AND THEY HAVE THE FUCKING GOD_SUIT IN THEIR KITCHEN? At least give them a dedicated hidden Lab.

At least there is now a good reason for Discovery to be hidden away and waiting in the future where it encounters Kraft in Calypso... getting a time crystal to Mama Burnham the long way.
PREDATOR490
Jedi Council Member

Post by PREDATOR490 »

Binged watched this new season - Not that impressed.

If they would just establish that this series is its own universe with no connection to the existing Old then I could happily accept them bulldozing into a new universe where things are so irreversibly different.

The last episodes came across as treading close to Borg territory. If this series wants to claim it is in the original trek, Voyager established the Borg were in existence for hundreds of years and the implication is they were the same as we see them. So, this cannot be a prequel concept for the Borg without some backbreaking contrived story gymnastics. Not including the often accepted concept that TMP V,Ger was the Borg even though ironically, Voyager shot that idea down as well.

This would be on par with Enterprise and the Ferengi. Sometimes you should just leave shit alone, especially if your not willing to commit to doing it properly.
In this case, they want to bring the Borg or a clone concept in, then just make this a different universe and have at it. Fuck it, bring the Iconians, the Domnion and Romulans since if your going off the rails the entire library of ST can be played with.

As is, balancing doing new stuff in a prequel that appears to be trying to behave like it has some link to existing series, is not doing it any favours creatively.

The Section 31 insertion alone is getting really obnoxious.
After the stuff that is going on in Discovery, it is implausible that S31 could be so unknown to achieve the results DS9 depicted.
DS9 introduced S31 and the idea of Starfleet Intelligence, future films and series seem to have taken that minor element and decided to blow it out of insane proportion to the point that S31 is apparently a known integral part of Starfleet.

Not to mention that in doing so, they have started to seriously screw up what little appeal S31 had. In DS9, they came across as quiet professionals and fit the part of the clandestine organisation.
The Section 31 in Discovery is so warped out of shape, they might as well be the Obsidian Order or the Tal Shiar. I.E They strut around openly bragging about who they are, actively pissing off EVERYONE and collectively sucking at being covert or clandestine despite the massive hype they keep getting for being so good.

If that is they way they want to go and focus on - fair enough but no fucking way does that remotely link up with continuity across the TNG > Voy era if they are trying to stick to being in that universe continuity.
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

I'm thinking, due to the actions of Control, and how it looks like the majority of Section 31 are going to bite it next episode, that this is going to explain why Section 31 stops being a thing. Mostly because they're such a failure of an organization that they were destroyed by their own computer.
AniThyng
Sith Devotee

Post by AniThyng »

The only thing that bothers me now is how anyone in TOS is shocked when M5 goes rogue in the ultimate computer given its not the first time at all this happened!
I do know how to spell
AniThyng is merely the name I gave to what became my favourite Baldur's Gate II mage character :P
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

AniThyng wrote: 2019-04-05 03:09am The only thing that bothers me now is how anyone in TOS is shocked when M5 goes rogue in the ultimate computer given its not the first time at all this happened!
But you see, Daystrom is a genius, if anyone could be trusted to make a computer to entrust a starship to, it's him.
tezunegari
Jedi Knight

Post by tezunegari »

Oh for fucks sake, Burnham, YOU ARE AN IMBECILE!

You have the fastest ship in the fucking universe, and while Section 31 has 30 ships... HOW THE FUCK DOES THAT HELP THEM IF YOU CAN JUMP TO THE OTHER SIDE OF THE FREAKING GALAXY IN SECONDS?!

You technically have all the time, just jump 50.000 ly like you did with Elysium when a S31 ship comes close.

The only time you have to worry about not being able to escape is during one of the three Red Bursts that are left.

Just declare Section 31 as a Rogue Agency and hunt them down.
If contamination by proximity was a concern the shuttle could already be a trojan horse.
houser2112
Padawan Learner

Post by houser2112 »

tezunegari wrote: 2019-04-05 05:51am Oh for fucks sake, Burnham, YOU ARE AN IMBECILE!

You have the fastest ship in the fucking universe, and while Section 31 has 30 ships... HOW THE FUCK DOES THAT HELP THEM IF YOU CAN JUMP TO THE OTHER SIDE OF THE FREAKING GALAXY IN SECONDS?!

You technically have all the time, just jump 50.000 ly like you did with Elysium when a S31 ship comes close.

The only time you have to worry about not being able to escape is during one of the three Red Bursts that are left.

If contamination by proximity was a concern the shuttle could already be a trojan horse.
This bothered me too. They're flying the freaking USS Deus Ex Machina, why do they need to scuttle the ship?!
AniThyng
Sith Devotee

Post by AniThyng »

houser2112 wrote: 2019-04-05 08:05am
tezunegari wrote: 2019-04-05 05:51am Oh for fucks sake, Burnham, YOU ARE AN IMBECILE!

This bothered me too. They're flying the freaking USS Deus Ex Machina, why do they need to scuttle the ship?!
I've seen it suggested that they aren't, they just are talking aloud so Control thinks that's what they are going to do.

Instead they'll go into battle with the Enterprise as backup, judging from the next episode trailer...
I do know how to spell
AniThyng is merely the name I gave to what became my favourite Baldur's Gate II mage character :P
tezunegari
Jedi Knight

Post by tezunegari »

AniThyng wrote: 2019-04-05 08:54am
houser2112 wrote: 2019-04-05 08:05am

I've seen it suggested that they aren't, they just are talking aloud so Control thinks that's what they are going to do.

Instead they'll go into battle with the Enterprise as backup, judging from the next episode trailer...
That would require for Control to somehow have access to Discovery and the internal sensors already, or be onboard - which is a fail condition.

That scene would have been better if it was obvious that Michael actually means faking the destruction, but her tone and facial expression clearly portrayed that she meant what she said.

And considering that there are only two episodes left... there's not really a lot of time to resolve the last three Red Bursts. (though we already know that Burnham most likely gets the suit, causes the 7 Burst Situation and leads Discovery to were it will end up.)
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

The sphere data refused to let itself be deleted. It's got that much control over Discovery's computer. Why does anyone think it's going to let itself be destroyed by a self destruct ?

Now consider these three data points:
- "Calypso". The mini episode where Discovery has acquired an artificial intelligence.
- This data contains a shitload of information on AIs.
- It's got more control of Discovery's computer than the crew do.
I'm thinking that the sphere data is another AI.
Themightytom
Sith Devotee

Post by Themightytom »

So since Burnham is the center of Discovery-verse, does that mean everything we are seeing is due to her mom saving her from being eaten by the Vulcan monster (Selat)?

Because if ultimately they just use the time crystal to travel forward to just before Burnham's mom starts messing with things, they break a huge time loop.
Burnham's mom sent the sphere to Discovery, Discovery recovers the data, Control gets the data, and then ends sentient life, which Burnham's mom discovers and so she starts it all over again.

No Burnham's mom means no control, no Burnham's mom means no Kilongon War, POSSIBLY no Control, if Starfleet accelerated it, and amped up Section 31 due to the Klingon War...
...I mean Burnham's parents try to build something, Klingons murder them, the universe continues as previously shown? Spock doesn't talk about the human orphan he barely knew that was eaten by a bear because it doesn't really ever come up

"Since when is "the west" a nation?"-Styphon
"ACORN= Cobra obviously." AMT
This topic is... oh Village Idiot. Carry on then.--Havok
houser2112
Padawan Learner

Post by houser2112 »

This is why I loathe time travel as a plot device.
AniThyng
Sith Devotee

Post by AniThyng »

Themightytom wrote: 2019-04-10 06:12pm So since Burnham is the center of Discovery-verse, does that mean everything we are seeing is due to her mom saving her from being eaten by the Vulcan monster (Selat)?

Because if ultimately they just use the time crystal to travel forward to just before Burnham's mom starts messing with things, they break a huge time loop.
Burnham's mom sent the sphere to Discovery, Discovery recovers the data, Control gets the data, and then ends sentient life, which Burnham's mom discovers and so she starts it all over again.

No Burnham's mom means no control, no Burnham's mom means no Kilongon War, POSSIBLY no Control, if Starfleet accelerated it, and amped up Section 31 due to the Klingon War...
...I mean Burnham's parents try to build something, Klingons murder them, the universe continues as previously shown? Spock doesn't talk about the human orphan he barely knew that was eaten by a bear because it doesn't really ever come up
No Burnham also probably means no more series or a huge outcry about fridging? ;)
I do know how to spell
Mange
Sith Marauder

Post by Mange »

Themightytom wrote: 2019-04-10 06:12pm So since Burnham is the center of Discovery-verse, does that mean everything we are seeing is due to her mom saving her from being eaten by the Vulcan monster (Selat)?

Meh, it'll end up with something like Control being sent back in time to the Delta Quadrant and ending up as the Borg...
FireNexus
Cookie

Post by FireNexus »

As longs the mushroom warp drive becomes the bajoran wormhole I’m cool with it.
I had a Bill Maher quote here. But fuck him for his white privelegy "joke".

All the rest? Too long.
tezunegari
Jedi Knight

Post by tezunegari »

And of course the writers realize that the Sphere AI won't let Discovery be destroyed... just as the audience did the moment Burnham said "let's make a boom boom".

And again the episode ends on a fucking cliffhanger reveal... really?
The writing of Discovery feels like soap opera level, mediocre to okayish episode content that ends in a "Gasp! What a twist!!" moments before the credits roll. This started around the time the showrunners were replaced.

Why is keeping the recrystalization process secret seen as good by Saru and Pike?
It would reduce the strategic importance of Dilithium mines and reduce the amount of enviromental damage those mines cause.

I really liked the new Enterprise bridge, though I think it would fit better in the Kelvin-verse than the AppleStore-bridge that one has.

Considering that there is only a single episode left... how are they going to solve this?
Put Michael in the future and Season 3 being the story from the PoV of the Red Angel 2.0?
tezunegari
Jedi Knight

Post by tezunegari »

How did Michael create the planetary EMP to save the Kelpians from the Ba'ul?
Back in the episode the crew was surprised at that capability yet we now learn it wasn't done with a Red Angel suit upgraded with future-tech but with a hastily built replacement.

Here, she only jumped to Kaminar, send the signal, watched Saru and left. (or they jumped over that part because they knew they fucked up with their writing)
AniThyng
Sith Devotee

Post by AniThyng »

I'm wondering how they plan to get georgiou back in time for the section 31 show...
I do know how to spell
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

As an aside, we now have a lower limit for the size of Starfleet, with 7,000 vessels.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."