Star Trek Discovery gets sued over plagerism and other problems

PST: discuss Star Trek without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Darth Lucifer
Jedi Council Member

Re: Star Trek Discovery gets sued over plagerism and other problems

Post by Darth Lucifer »

Update: Anas Abdin's Tardigrades lawsuit has been dismissed in its entirely by the District Court. In her Opinion, the Judge applied the "substantial similarity" test for copyright infringement and found that the Plaintiff's works lacked "protected elements" which were substantially similar to Star Trek: Discovery.

Leonard French from Lawful Masses on YouTube gives the breakdown (32:03):

Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

My reply in full:
1999: Star Trek Voyager, Season 5 Finale, Season 6 primere: Using the remains of dead aliens as power.

The idea of a drive powered by organics is nothing knew, and Star Trek had it on a show 14 years before this video game was in development.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Darth Lucifer
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Lucifer »

Abdin's Tardigrades didn't even have a drive, the video clips from his website show a giant Tardigrade wrapping itself around a guy and floating off.

I also found a copy of the opinion online for anyone who wants to read the full document (15 pages total).

https://www.scribd.com/document/4267175 ... 543-0066-0
Darth Lucifer
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Lucifer »

Another bump for update...after Anas Abdin was shot down in district court, he filed an appeal in the 2nd circuit. The 2nd Circuit Court of Appeals has dismissed Abdin's "Tardigrades" lawsuit against "Star Trek" owner CBS. Abdin had alleged that three Star Trek: Discovery episodes infringed on his copyright when they included a "Tardigrades in Space" plot device.

00:00 Intro
02:56 Background
19:00 Court's Discussion
29:53 "Scenes a Faire"
32:53 Character Similarities
35:26 Total Concept and Feel
37:39 Court's Conclusion
38:20 Leonard's Thoughts
Darth Lucifer
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Lucifer »

ROFL :lol: :P :mrgreen: The best parts of this opinion are where the judge pulls out quotes from Star Trek...for Abdin, that must feel like salt being rubbed in the wound.