Jean-Luc Picard is Coming Back

PST: discuss Star Trek without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

FireNexus
Cookie

Re: Jean-Luc Picard is Coming Back

Post by FireNexus »

I actually would really like a story about a Cardassian refugee crisis on Bajor. Or perhaps about trying to prepare a rebuilding Cardassia for entry into the Federation. I think the aftermath of the war still being felt a decade later, with Picard trying to wear his diplomat hat to make it better, would be wonderful.
I had a Bill Maher quote here. But fuck him for his white privelegy "joke".

All the rest? Too long.
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

FireNexus wrote: 2018-08-09 04:01pm I actually would really like a story about a Cardassian refugee crisis on Bajor. Or perhaps about trying to prepare a rebuilding Cardassia for entry into the Federation. I think the aftermath of the war still being felt a decade later, with Picard trying to wear his diplomat hat to make it better, would be wonderful.
That could be fun to see. Seeing political allegory while also seeing the peacemaker Captain making peace.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

I dunno, I'm not sure I would be able to stand that for more than an episode or two. Certainly DS9 left some stuff hanging, but... really... I want Picard to be pursuing his dreams, and trying to couple the next generation of Starfleet with the ideals he stood for twenty years ago. A whole series of people sitting around tables talking doesn't really sound like my idea of a good time.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Elheru Aran wrote: 2018-08-09 05:17pm I dunno, I'm not sure I would be able to stand that for more than an episode or two. Certainly DS9 left some stuff hanging, but... really... I want Picard to be pursuing his dreams, and trying to couple the next generation of Starfleet with the ideals he stood for twenty years ago. A whole series of people sitting around tables talking doesn't really sound like my idea of a good time.
Actually, cleaning up the destruction of the Cardassian (or Romulan) civilization creates lots of opportunities for action- rescue a ship full of refugees, stop a radical terrorist cell, whatever. And those are situations where Picard's ideals can be on full display, but also face challenges from adversaries and more cynical realpolitik types.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Birth year on record: 2305 (in universe, obviously). The show is going to be set in 2399. Federation medical achievements notwithstanding, I'm not sure you're going to see a 94-year-old man engaging in that much... action.

I just kinda feel like the Cardassian/Bajor thing should kind of be its own separate situation, I guess. Certainly Picard could get involved in some way, but honestly? It's a big galaxy. Why should they retread old ground? I'd stay the hell away from the Borg and maybe the Romulans too for the same reason.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

Elheru Aran wrote: 2018-08-09 05:32pm Birth year on record: 2305 (in universe, obviously). The show is going to be set in 2399. Federation medical achievements notwithstanding, I'm not sure you're going to see a 94-year-old man engaging in that much... action.

I just kinda feel like the Cardassian/Bajor thing should kind of be its own separate situation, I guess. Certainly Picard could get involved in some way, but honestly? It's a big galaxy. Why should they retread old ground? I'd stay the hell away from the Borg and maybe the Romulans too for the same reason.
Maybe we'll see the rise of the Federations version of Donald Trump, and Picards response to it. It would be interesting to see how someone like Picard would deal with that kind of scenario. Would his ideals withstand that kind of test?
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - The official Troll motto, as stated by Adam Savage
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Tribble wrote: 2018-08-10 07:06pm
Elheru Aran wrote: 2018-08-09 05:32pm Birth year on record: 2305 (in universe, obviously). The show is going to be set in 2399. Federation medical achievements notwithstanding, I'm not sure you're going to see a 94-year-old man engaging in that much... action.

Maybe we'll see the rise of the Federations version of Donald Trump, and Picards response to it. It would be interesting to see how someone like Picard would deal with that kind of scenario. Would his ideals withstand that kind of test?
Maybe an Earth nationalist who wants to leave the Federation, and colludes with the Dominion to gain power? And has a golden shower holodeck program on Risa? :D

But Picard would still be Picard. This is a man who, when the Federation violated its laws in Insurrection, outright mutinied, and has repeatedly violated direct orders that he felt were wrong.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

Master Six
Redshirt

Post by Master Six »

Picard aside, I really want to see more about Cardassia and Bajor post-Dominion War. How have they managed to develop and exist with each other after such a traumatic history? Since I imagine that both have entered or are poised to enter the Federation, lingering conflict and bad feelings must exist that will challenge the process.

Personally I think the best way to shake up the series would to be show an alien captain. I've already demonstrated a bias, but I'd love to see a Cardassian captain a few decades after the events of DS9 ended. Maybe the child of refugees from Cardassia after the Dominion turned on them -- someone raised in the Federation but also having an acute awareness of his species' history and culture, giving him a significant interest in the development of the new Cardassia (an analog to Worf). It's a chance to have a nuanced character who appreciates the Federation for the opportunity it has given him, but is not blinded by dogma to its shortcomings. Add in a good supporting cast (maybe a Bajoran officer to add tension), a look also at how the Romulans have fared over time, and a style that is familiar to fans of the TNG era but also improved, and you've got potential.
The great virtue of a free market system is that it does not care what color people are; it does not care what their religion is; it only cares whether they can produce something you want to buy. It is the most effective system we have discovered to enable people who hate one another to deal with one another and help one another. – Milton Friedman
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

That sounds really good.

FireNexus
Cookie

Post by FireNexus »

Elheru Aran wrote: 2018-08-09 05:32pmI just kinda feel like the Cardassian/Bajor thing should kind of be its own separate situation, I guess. Certainly Picard could get involved in some way, but honestly? It's a big galaxy. Why should they retread old ground? I'd stay the hell away from the Borg and maybe the Romulans too for the same reason.
They should retread this ground because there should be multiple whole societies still kind of roiling from it. The Federation attempted to commit genocide in that war. Billions died on Cardassia in a few hours. Two great powers (Cardassia and the Breen) had their militaries destroyed. Earth was attacked.

We never saw how that turned out, and it’s the exact kind of thing a series built around a 94-year-old diplomat would be good at.
I had a Bill Maher quote here. But fuck him for his white privelegy "joke".

All the rest? Too long.