Recommend some DS9!

PST: discuss Star Trek without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Recommend some DS9!

Post by Elheru Aran »

Hello all,

So similarly to my past thread a couple months ago about Doctor Who, which was actually pretty helpful...

Recommend me some Star Trek: Deep Space 9 episodes.

Background: I have Netflix. I would like to watch DS9. I don't have the time to go through the whole series, as nice as that might be. In my view, I would be best served by checking out a number of essential episodes that cover the principal storylines of moment rather than meandering through the series via random episodes. I do have a general idea of how the series runs, so spoilers are not a huge issue for me. I'm looking for enough episodes that I could get through it in a few months. However many that is, is up to you.

In particular, I'm interested in the Dominion War, which I realize is something like... two-thirds of the show. Significant events, contributory episodes, and what not. The Klingon Civil War and offensive against the Dominion might also be worth checking out.

Humorous side episodes are also worth noting; I've seen that one with Q and "Our Man Bashir", but you're welcome to recommend anything else that comes to mind.

Thank you all kindly!
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Re: Recommend some DS9!

Post by Thanas »

I would suggest you first watch Duet, as it is the first episode where DS9 really shines and shows how much depth it can have - and what good actors they actually are.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Duet needs a least a little setup Id have thought but for season 1 ou could probably get way with just it, the premiere and the finale.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Thank you gentlemen... so I can probably get by with just three episodes in the first season then? Good to know. There's more than that to the show, of course, isn't there :P
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Generally, I found that the episodes that focused on Bajor and the resistance carried a lot more weight because the characters of Dukat, Odo and Kira were just more interesting than 99% of the federation.

So here is my take on it:

Season 1: 1-4, 15, 17-20

Episodes 1-4. 1 and 3 set up the plot and 4 is the one where character action first truly shines. Definitely watch at least 4. Then I found the next episodes to be pretty forgetful. It starts to get good again with Episode 1-15, which was pretty much inspired by the clash of progress vs traditional means of life. Episode 15 and 16 (which starts of highly annoying but has a great payoff) saved my interest in the show. 16 is utterly boring and silly but 17-20 are all worth watching. Especially the aforementioned duet.

From then you can just watch normally. Honestly, the show only suffers from a boring first season.

Highlights however include:
Season 2: 1-3, 5, 8, 14, 15, 16, 18, 18-26
Season 3: 1-3, 5 (ESPECIALLY 5 as it is one of the greatest stories ever in ST history), 7,9, 11-12, 13, 14, 17, 20-22, 24, 26
Season 4: 1-5, 10-19, (really good stretch) 22, 24-26
Season 5-7 I don't have access to right now so remind me in a few days and I will have it.

But honestly, I would just watch 1-4, 15-16, 17-20 from Season 1 and then watch it like a normal show.
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

I would love to watch it 'normally' but I really don't have the time for that, unfortunately... I would prefer to hit the highlights, so to speak. If it means I miss good moments in otherwise boring episodes, well, I will manage.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Thing is though that much of the evolution of the main characters (especially Bashir, O'Brien, Odo and Kira) are done in small moments. So you might miss out on a lot of subtext. It is not as bad as missing farscape but yeah it has an effect.
------------
------------
My LPs
NeoGoomba
Sith Devotee

Post by NeoGoomba »

I had never seen "The Circle" and "The Siege" two-parter before, and only caught it recently. It was really well done. The Bajor arcs (with the exception of the Praphets and Pah-Wraith stuff IMO) were really effective stories.

A lot of one-off episodes did kind of turn into "What Fresh Hells Can We Drag O'Brien" through, but they are still entertaining.
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know...tomorrow."
-Agent Kay
Prometheus Unbound
Jedi Master

Post by Prometheus Unbound »

NeoGoomba wrote:I had never seen "The Circle" and "The Siege" two-parter before, and only caught it recently. It was really well done. The Bajor arcs (with the exception of the Praphets and Pah-Wraith stuff IMO) were really effective stories.

A lot of one-off episodes did kind of turn into "What Fresh Hells Can We Drag O'Brien" through, but they are still entertaining.
Its a three parter ;)
NecronLord wrote:
Also, shorten your signature a couple of lines please.
SpottedKitty
Jedi Master

Post by SpottedKitty »

There's also a fun sequel to TOS classic The Trouble With Tribbles in season 5.

Oh, and Little Green Men in season 4 is hilarious. Ferengi. Time travel. Roswell. Guess what happens...?
“Despite rumor, Death isn't cruel — merely terribly, terribly good at his job.”
Terry Pratchett, Sourcery
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

I recommend Progress from season 1, it's not as good as Duet, but it does show Kira's evolving from terrorist/freedom fighter to someone who has to enforce the law on citizens.
Prometheus Unbound
Jedi Master

Post by Prometheus Unbound »

If you want to go the War route....

Season 2
The Jem'Hadar

Season 3
The Search 1 & 2
The Abandoned
Improbable Cause/The Die is Cast
The Adversary

Season 4
The Way of the Warrior
Hippocratic Oath
Starship Down
Homefront/Paradise Lost
To the Death
Broken Link

Season 5
Apocalypse Rising
The Ship
Rapture
In Purgatory's Shadow/By Inferno's Light
Soldiers of the Empire
In the Cards
Call to Arms

Season 6
First six episodes (Occupation Arc)
The Magnificent Ferengi
One Little Ship
In the Pale Moonlight
Valiant
Tears of the Prophets

Season 7
Image in the Sand/Shadows and Symbols
Treachery, Faith and the Great River
Once More Unto the Breach
The Siege of AR-558
It's Only a Paper Moon
Chimera
Inter Arma Enim Silent Leges
Final 8 episodes + WYLB
NecronLord wrote:
Also, shorten your signature a couple of lines please.