Ship phasers: stun setting?

PST: discuss Star Trek without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Feil
Jedi Council Member

Ship phasers: stun setting?

Post by Feil »

I couldn't find this in a quick search, apologies if it's been asked before.

Can ship phasers be set to stun in Star Trek, for purposes of nonlethal air/space to surface fire, etc? Any episodes in which this is done?
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Re: Ship phasers: stun setting?

Post by Lord Revan »

it's been done once in TOS but never before that or since (I can't remember the name of the episode atm but I think it was the one with planet of gansters ) Enterprise used a widebeam stun setting to stun everyone in the open though Kirk was uneffected due being inside a building that looked like a normal 20th century office building so it probably wasn't armored.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

I beleive it was done once in TOS. But I don't know the episode. And in at least one noncanon novel I know of.
Luke Starkiller
Jedi Knight

Post by Luke Starkiller »

It would make sense if it wasn't possible (that single outlier aside); we know that hand phasers on stun can still be lethal, it could be that ship-mounted phasers just have too much raw power to be dialed back to be able to reliably stun.
What kind of dark wizard in league with nameless forces of primordial evil ARE you that you can't even make a successful sanity check versus BOREDOM? - Red Mage
U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

Lord Revan wrote:it's been done once in TOS but never before that or since (I can't remember the name of the episode atm but I think it was the one with planet of gansters ) Enterprise used a widebeam stun setting to stun everyone in the open though Kirk was uneffected due being inside a building that looked like a normal 20th century office building so it probably wasn't armored.
The TOS episode was "A Piece Of the Action." Kirk had Scotty use the ship's phasers to wide-angle stun Jojo Krakow's mobsters.
"Beware the Beast, Man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone amongst God's primates, he kills for sport, for lust, for greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of Death.."
—29th Scroll, 6th Verse of Ape Law
"Indelible in the hippocampus is the laughter. The uproarious laughter between the two, and their having fun at my expense.”
---Doctor Christine Blasey-Ford
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Yes, they do indeed have that ability.

Brought to you by the official CBS channel, no less. Skip to 3:20.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

The power issue could still be a consideration by the time the show reaches TNG though. We can not be sure that advances in phaser power have by that point not made a stun setting too dangerous to use.
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

You win. There, I have said it.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Or they might just not had a desire and scenario in which it was necessarily beneficial in the rest of the shows; much simpler as an explanation. Kirk is only really doing it here to show off his power, after all; Star Trek doesn't generally revolve around large scale urban pacification.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

I have no doubt that in 200-300 episodes there would have been some situations where it came in handy...
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

It sort-of happened in Voyager, in "Thirty Days" Tom tells Seven to dial down the phaser power on the Delta Flyer to sort-of stun a bigass sea creature. That's as close as I can think of beyond the already-mentioned TOS example.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
LastShadow
Youngling

Post by LastShadow »

Simon_Jester wrote:I have no doubt that in 200-300 episodes there would have been some situations where it came in handy...
Like the entirety of the dominion war? Might have come in handy now and then there...
Feil
Jedi Council Member

Post by Feil »

Thanks. I remember that episode, but I had forgotten that they stunned people with the phasers.

If the non-reuse needs explanation, I think the easiest is that, like other less-lethal weapons, phaser stun can still cause harm (kill small animals; injure or children, the elderly, and the infirm; cause injury or death from falls and accidents resulting from sudden loss of consciousness; etc). Kirk using phasers to clear streets full of gangsters firing indiscriminately with automatic weapons in a densely populated urban area is easily justified, but that level of moral clarity can't be very common.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

LastShadow wrote:
Simon_Jester wrote:I have no doubt that in 200-300 episodes there would have been some situations where it came in handy...
Like the entirety of the dominion war? Might have come in handy now and then there...
When exactly would have 'stun' come in more useful than 'kill/burn/NDF away'? Most of the time we see ground combat in the Dominion war there ARE no starships to provide fire support.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

we know for a fact that close range stun setting shot from a hand phaser can still kill the target, it was used to kill the assassins in TUC, so it's not at all impossible the much more powerful ship phasers could cause the same effect at even greater distance.

we also know that stun setting from ship phasers is rather easy to protect from, in the clip Kirk said "block radius from these cordinates" the context implies his cordinates meaning Kirk and the other people with him in that room were in essence at "ground zero" for the stun blast but were uneffected and as I said the building looks like a fairly typical 20th century office so it's not likely to be heavily fortified.

and that's ignoring that falling down from being stunned isn't harmless even the stun effect is, since can cause you to hit your head on a hard surface or fall from a great height both which can be very leathal.
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
LastShadow
Youngling

Post by LastShadow »

Batman wrote:
LastShadow wrote:
When exactly would have 'stun' come in more useful than 'kill/burn/NDF away'? Most of the time we see ground combat in the Dominion war there ARE no starships to provide fire support.
Anytime they invaded an area a good stun before hand could have sped up the process.But nonetheless the point was, it would have come in handy then, which was the point.

Im not saying it was always available, or always useful. But it WOULD have been handy.
U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

LastShadow wrote:Like the entirety of the dominion war? Might have come in handy now and then there...
Perhaps the Feds decided to optimize their starships for killing power. Certainly, I think the Defiants were optimized for this, and I doubt their pulse phasers could deliver a stun blast.
"Beware the Beast, Man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone amongst God's primates, he kills for sport, for lust, for greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of Death.."
—29th Scroll, 6th Verse of Ape Law
"Indelible in the hippocampus is the laughter. The uproarious laughter between the two, and their having fun at my expense.”
---Doctor Christine Blasey-Ford
LastShadow
Youngling

Post by LastShadow »

U.P. Cinnabar wrote:
LastShadow wrote:Like the entirety of the dominion war? Might have come in handy now and then there...
Perhaps the Feds decided to optimize their starships for killing power. Certainly, I think the Defiants were optimized for this, and I doubt their pulse phasers could deliver a stun blast.
I think it would also be rather difficult for the Defiant to really manage to do it, unless they pulled a BoP strafing maneuver.
Prometheus Unbound
Jedi Master

Post by Prometheus Unbound »

Lord Revan wrote:it's been done once in TOS but never before that or since (I can't remember the name of the episode atm but I think it was the one with planet of gansters ) Enterprise used a widebeam stun setting to stun everyone in the open though Kirk was uneffected due being inside a building that looked like a normal 20th century office building so it probably wasn't armored.
A Piece of the Action.

They also did it (I think) in the episode with the flying pancakes that don't like UV rays... didn't they blast the planet with phasers on that? I can't remember.
NecronLord wrote:
Also, shorten your signature a couple of lines please.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

LastShadow wrote:
U.P. Cinnabar wrote:
I think it would also be rather difficult for the Defiant to really manage to do it, unless they pulled a BoP strafing maneuver.
The Defiant has beam phasers as well as the pulse phasers. The Pulse phasers also have off bore capability. ("Homefront" is a good example of these in use)

Regarldess for orbital bombardment it wouldn't need to strafe. It just need to point down while in orbit, space being what it is.
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

Prometheus Unbound wrote:
A Piece of the Action.

They also did it (I think) in the episode with the flying pancakes that don't like UV rays... didn't they blast the planet with phasers on that? I can't remember.
No, they deployed a bunch of satellites that gave off a bunch of UV radiation. How that managed to kill the pancakes that were hiding in the shade is beyond me, but that's another issue...
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
Captain Seafort
Jedi Council Member

Post by Captain Seafort »

Lord Revan wrote:we know for a fact that close range stun setting shot from a hand phaser can still kill the target, it was used to kill the assassins in TUC, so it's not at all impossible the much more powerful ship phasers could cause the same effect at even greater distance.
Better than "not impossible", it's been demonstrated, in Galaxy's Child - Picard tried to shoo off a space whale with a minimum-power phaser shot and ended up killing it.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Captain Seafort wrote:
Lord Revan wrote:we know for a fact that close range stun setting shot from a hand phaser can still kill the target, it was used to kill the assassins in TUC, so it's not at all impossible the much more powerful ship phasers could cause the same effect at even greater distance.
Better than "not impossible", it's been demonstrated, in Galaxy's Child - Picard tried to shoo off a space whale with a minimum-power phaser shot and ended up killing it.
I while I think the adult creature was weak to begin with as in injured or malnourished yeah, I had forgotten about that. Killing the mother was what forced the Ent-D crew to cry c-section with phasers to save the child. Clearly shows that even low power phasers aren't harmless.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Given that phasers essentiallly work on magic I'm leery of assuming it's simply a question of power levels but since a) even kill level shots from hand phasers can be stopped by...pretty much everything and Kirk could avoid being stunned by simply being indoors, maybe ship gun stun is moderately useless the moment the intended target has any kind of cover?
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
LastShadow
Youngling

Post by LastShadow »

Crazedwraith wrote:
LastShadow wrote:
U.P. Cinnabar wrote:
The Defiant has beam phasers as well as the pulse phasers. The Pulse phasers also have off bore capability. ("Homefront" is a good example of these in use)

Regarldess for orbital bombardment it wouldn't need to strafe. It just need to point down while in orbit, space being what it is.
Valid
Prometheus Unbound
Jedi Master

Post by Prometheus Unbound »

Captain Seafort wrote:
Worf kept firing even after it broke off its own radiation field. He fired for too long. Plus it was giving birth :)
NecronLord wrote:
Also, shorten your signature a couple of lines please.