TOS "TNG-style" phasers?

PST: discuss Star Trek without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Sektor31
Padawan Learner

TOS "TNG-style" phasers?

Post by Sektor31 »

Episode: Return of the Archons

Is it me, or did they switch around phaser props here?
TheDarkling
Sith Marauder

Post by TheDarkling »

They always had the tiny type one phaser it was for use on the missions where they were pretending to be friends but still didn't want to leave the weapons at home.
IRG CommandoJoe
Sith Devotee

Post by IRG CommandoJoe »

They use both the "electric shaver" ones and the gun ones. I think bridge members generally use the "electric shaver" ones and guards use the gun ones.
Who's the more foolish, the fool or the fool who follows him? -Obi-Wan Kenobi

"In the unlikely event that someone comes here, hates everything we stand for, and then donates a big chunk of money anyway, I will thank him for his stupidity." -Darth Wong, Lord of the Sith

Proud member of the Brotherhood of the Monkey.
Superman
Pink Foamin' at the Mouth

Post by Superman »

I think that those phasers were a great idea; they are very easy to conceal but possess enough power to vaporize an enemy.

B & B decided, though, that they will no longer be used. Have we ever seen one on Voyager? Nope.
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

Superman wrote:I think that those phasers were a great idea; they are very easy to conceal but possess enough power to vaporize an enemy.

B & B decided, though, that they will no longer be used. Have we ever seen one on Voyager? Nope.
Incorrect.

http://www.phasers.net/2360/voytp1a.jpg

They have been used IIRC twice in Voyager. They seem to not be used frequently because they are probably hard to aim.
"If the facts are on your side, pound on the facts. If the law is on your side, pound on the law. If neither is on your side, pound on the table."

"The captain claimed our people violated a 4,000 year old treaty forbidding us to develop hyperspace technology. Extermination of our planet was the consequence. The subject did not survive interrogation."
neoolong
Dead Sexy 'Shroom

Post by neoolong »

Alyeska wrote:
Superman wrote:I think that those phasers were a great idea; they are very easy to conceal but possess enough power to vaporize an enemy.

Incorrect.

They have been used IIRC twice in Voyager. They seem to not be used frequently because they are probably hard to aim.
And they don't show up on screen very easily. :D
Member of the BotM. @( !.! )@
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

neoolong wrote:
Alyeska wrote:

Incorrect.

And they don't show up on screen very easily. :D
Thats actually why we stopped seeing them very much after season-1. We saw them twice more in TNG after season 1. We didn't see them at all in DS9. Then we saw them once, maybe twice in VGR.
"If the facts are on your side, pound on the facts. If the law is on your side, pound on the law. If neither is on your side, pound on the table."

"The captain claimed our people violated a 4,000 year old treaty forbidding us to develop hyperspace technology. Extermination of our planet was the consequence. The subject did not survive interrogation."
Uraniun235
Emperor's Hand

Post by Uraniun235 »

In TOS, the little "shaver" phaser could be snapped into the pistol as the power pack, making the phaser pistol seen in TOS.
Superman
Pink Foamin' at the Mouth

Post by Superman »

They can't be very hard to aim. Remember all of the TOS episodes where Kirk and Spock used them? Or the episode where Riker shot Utah with one when she was trying to kill her rival tribe guy. They cannot be that hard to aim.

I think that B & B decided they're not "cool." That's why we never see them anymore.
Keevan_Colton
Emperor's Hand
Location: In the Land of Logic and Reason, two doors down from Lilliput and across the road from Atlantis...

Post by Keevan_Colton »

Superman wrote:They can't be very hard to aim. Remember all of the TOS episodes where Kirk and Spock used them? Or the episode where Riker shot Utah with one when she was trying to kill her rival tribe guy. They cannot be that hard to aim.

I think that B & B decided they're not "cool." That's why we never see them anymore.
Of course B&B's view of reality and everyone else on the planets are usually diametrically opposed.....
"Prodesse Non Nocere."
"It's all about popularity really, if your invisible friend that tells you to invade places is called Napoleon, you're a loony, if he's called Jesus then you're the president."
"I'd drive more people insane, but I'd have to double back and pick them up first..."
"All it takes for bullshit to thrive is for rational men to do nothing." - Kevin Farrell, B.A. Journalism.
BOTM - EBC - Horseman - G&C - Vampire
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Post by Master of Ossus »

That is actually an instance in which the ergonomics of a weapon are of secondary concern to its concealability. Those phasers benefit from a much better design than some of the other DS9/TNG/VOY props that have been used.
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Of course, when you consider how easily people shoot them selves drawing modern handguns from holsters, a tiny weapon which will kill you instantly doesn't look quite so good.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Post by Master of Ossus »

Sea Skimmer wrote:Of course, when you consider how easily people shoot them selves drawing modern handguns from holsters, a tiny weapon which will kill you instantly doesn't look quite so good.
Why? I think they still have stun settings, and safeties. While there are, of course, ergonomic concerns when making a weapon so small, it seems an acceptable trade-off in this particular instance for the ability to conceal a weapon that offers substantial firepower for you. While clearly not the weapon that TOS phasers were, this miniaturized version presents some advantages in certain situations.
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

Master of Ossus wrote:
Sea Skimmer wrote:Of course, when you consider how easily people shoot them selves drawing modern handguns from holsters, a tiny weapon which will kill you instantly doesn't look quite so good.
Why? I think they still have stun settings, and safeties. While there are, of course, ergonomic concerns when making a weapon so small, it seems an acceptable trade-off in this particular instance for the ability to conceal a weapon that offers substantial firepower for you. While clearly not the weapon that TOS phasers were, this miniaturized version presents some advantages in certain situations.
Indeed. It is often used by hiding it up the sleeve of jackets or shirts. A very handy concealed weapon.

NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

I agree. For once the limited effective range of the weapon would not be a disadvantage, as in diplomatic situations the range of an attacker is likely to be very short.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Peregrin Toker
Emperor's Hand

Post by Peregrin Toker »

Superman wrote:They can't be very hard to aim. Remember all of the TOS episodes where Kirk and Spock used them? Or the episode where Riker shot Utah with one when she was trying to kill her rival tribe guy. They cannot be that hard to aim.

I think he was referring to the TNG-style phasers....
"Hi there, would you like to have a cookie?"

"No, actually I would HATE to have a cookie, you vapid waste of inedible flesh!"