ST subspace relays and transporters

PST: discuss Star Trek without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Enola Straight
Jedi Knight

ST subspace relays and transporters

Post by Enola Straight »

Suppose we are on DS9 and need to get to Earth...like, NOW.

A starship isin't available right away, and if there was, high warp would take days of travel.

So you try to "bodge" together a subspace transporter, like Daimon Bok, and apparently the Dominion. But you're still too far away.

Why not use the Subspace Relay Network? Reserve multiple channels on the network to transmit the extremely large data rate of quantum resolution matter stream. Each node from the origin to destination reinforces the energy intensive nature of subspace transport, and each node verifies and reinforces the integrity of the matter stream against degredation and data errors.
Masochist to Sadist: "Hurt me."
Sadist to Masochist: "No."
Col. Crackpot
That Obnoxious Guy

Post by Col. Crackpot »

what happens if somewhere along the way you encounter subspace interference? wouldn't you remterialize with your head where your dick should be? or a leg where your spleen should be? ick! never mind what would happen if there was subspace jamming!
"This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we’ll be lucky to live through it.” -Tom Clancy
Ted C
Sith Marauder

Post by Ted C »

You are jumping to the conclusion that the subspace relay network actually has the bandwidth to handle such a transfer. Furthermore, it's the nature of communications that you will lose some signal clarity with each transfer.

This would be an extremely foolish thing to attempt.
"This is supposed to be a happy occasion... Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who."
-- The King of Swamp Castle, Monty Python and the Holy Grail

"Nothing of consequence happened today. " -- Diary of King George III, July 4, 1776

"This is not bad; this is a conspiracy to remove happiness from existence. It seeks to wrap its hedgehog hand around the still beating heart of the personification of good and squeeze until it is stilled."
-- Chuck Sonnenburg on Voyager's "Elogium"
Embracer Of Darkness
Worthless Trolling Palm-Fucker

Post by Embracer Of Darkness »

I agree with all of the above... Subspace transporters have been stated to be highly dangerous and I doubt the subspace relay network would have the needed bandwidth to accomplish such a task...

However I was just thinking that if the subspace relay network was dense enough, fitted with transporter targetting scanners and pattern buffers you should be able to bunny hop the transporter pattern from one relay to another without using a subspace signal... I'm guessing, however, that transporting the same pattern so many times would result in degradation.
Ted C
Sith Marauder

Post by Ted C »

We don't even know if a transport signal is compatible with the subspace relay system, nor do we now how far a transporter signal carried through subspace can actually go. The Ferengi ship in "Bloodlines" was actually only a small fraction of a light-year away from the Enterprise.

The idea seems pretty unlikely to me.
"This is supposed to be a happy occasion... Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who."
-- The King of Swamp Castle, Monty Python and the Holy Grail

"Nothing of consequence happened today. " -- Diary of King George III, July 4, 1776

"This is not bad; this is a conspiracy to remove happiness from existence. It seeks to wrap its hedgehog hand around the still beating heart of the personification of good and squeeze until it is stilled."
-- Chuck Sonnenburg on Voyager's "Elogium"