Boring Starship designs

PST: discuss Star Trek without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Dark Primus
Jedi Master

Boring Starship designs

Post by Dark Primus »

It looks to me the people behind Star Trek ship designers are out of ideas when making new ships. Many are ugly looking, and very few I consider to be good looking or worth looking at.
The Shelley class, I guess its a frigate is one of the most ugly looking designs Feds are using in TNG/DS9 era. But on the opposite side are the good and cool looking Sovereign, Akira, Defiant etc, but they are not used very much (except for Defiant) I know fans have different tastes when it comes ships but I don't understand why B&B takes boring ship designs that are going to last around an entire series (Voyager, Akiraprise) and then brings out maybe one or two very good or cool looking ships that only is going to be seen once or maybe twice around the entire series

Well the series doesn't need good looking designs, but for me I love ships that are cool looking, doesn't matter to me if they look brittle. Even ST fans can make up better ST ship designs.

http://sfc3.infopop.cc/6/ubb.x?a=tpc&s= ... 1686055002

Edit: Take a good look at the ship that spins. :)
EAT SHIT AND DIE! - Because I say so

"Me Grimlock Badass" -Grimlock
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

Mackie is a member of that site... I shall stay away from there as if it were the plague itself.
"If the facts are on your side, pound on the facts. If the law is on your side, pound on the law. If neither is on your side, pound on the table."

"The captain claimed our people violated a 4,000 year old treaty forbidding us to develop hyperspace technology. Extermination of our planet was the consequence. The subject did not survive interrogation."
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

Yuck, I think Mackie should put the pipe down when he designs starships. :mrgreen:
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
Dark Primus
Jedi Master

Post by Dark Primus »

Spanky The Dolphin wrote:Yuck, I think Mackie should put the pipe down when he designs starships. :mrgreen:
Well at least I think the ship named Armada is very good. :)
EAT SHIT AND DIE! - Because I say so

"Me Grimlock Badass" -Grimlock
Malecoda
Padawan Learner

Post by Malecoda »

Spanky The Dolphin wrote:Yuck, I think Mackie should put the pipe down when he designs starships. :mrgreen:
I disagree. I think he needs to pick it up. That, or put more potent stuff in it.
I have being given A's for depleting Dragon ball Z the way it should be.
Col. Crackpot
That Obnoxious Guy

Post by Col. Crackpot »

that mackie gue may have some skills when it comes to rendering, but why in the hell would anyone want a quad nacelled miranda? hell the only thing it's missing is a Gorn shaped hood ornament! bleeech!
"This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we’ll be lucky to live through it.” -Tom Clancy
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Col. Crackpot wrote:that mackie gue may have some skills when it comes to rendering, but why in the hell would anyone want a quad nacelled miranda? hell the only thing it's missing is a Gorn shaped hood ornament! bleeech!
Even worse is the four nacelled, blocky Constitution with two engineering hulls on the sides (the third one).

Blech!!

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Post by Master of Ossus »

Spanky The Dolphin wrote:
Col. Crackpot wrote:that mackie gue may have some skills when it comes to rendering, but why in the hell would anyone want a quad nacelled miranda? hell the only thing it's missing is a Gorn shaped hood ornament! bleeech!
Even worse is the four nacelled, blocky Constitution with two engineering hulls on the sides (the third one).

Blech!!
And six warp nacelles.

Actually, I don't think that they're renderings or designs are half bad. I like the Periwinkle and the Armada, and while the others might have benefitted from a bit more time on the concept floor, they are well rendered.
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."
EmperorMing
Sith Devotee

Post by EmperorMing »

There are only so many combinations of saucer, nacelle and secondary hull available.

Even in a Sci-Fi universe, there are only so many classes of a ship that you can have...

DILLIGAF: Does It Look Like I Give A Fuck

Kill your God!
Uraniun235
Emperor's Hand

Post by Uraniun235 »

I was never a fan of the really obviously and yet seemingly pointlessly kitbashed designs. The Nebula and Miranda classes I can understand quite well, using parts and designs common to their larger counterparts in a smaller configuration. Some of them are just plain goofy, though.
Red Knight
Redshirt

Post by Red Knight »

The only one i see as alright is The Mackie, the other two.... eh. As for the spinning one, it seems to be a somewhat ripped off version of the ship from Galaxy Quest.
Enlightenment
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Enlightenment »

Discussion of Mackie split into its own thread.

http://bbs.stardestroyer.net/viewtopic.php?t=10916
It's not my place in life to make people happy. Don't talk to me unless you're prepared to watch me slaughter cows you hold sacred. Don't talk to me unless you're prepared to have your basic assumptions challenged. If you want bunnies in light, talk to someone else.
Mackie
Redshirt

Post by Mackie »

hrm sorry for bumping something old but when it comes to ship designing... i try something new, less conventional... cant really please everyone. would appreciate good ideas though :lol:
Col. Crackpot
That Obnoxious Guy

Post by Col. Crackpot »

dude, i have a suggestion. never, ever EVER name a ship the USS Periwinkle! good grief, who's the captain? Phillip M'Bunghole?
"This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we’ll be lucky to live through it.” -Tom Clancy
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Mackie wrote:hrm sorry for bumping something old but when it comes to ship designing... i try something new, less conventional... cant really please everyone. would appreciate good ideas though :lol:
Here's one.

Don't make them look like this:
http://www.themackiestuff.com/ships/images/magellan.jpg

generator_g1
Jedi Master

Post by generator_g1 »

Spanky The Dolphin wrote:
Mackie wrote:hrm sorry for bumping something old but when it comes to ship designing... i try something new, less conventional... cant really please everyone. would appreciate good ideas though :lol:
Here's one.

Don't make them look like this:
http://www.themackiestuff.com/ships/images/magellan.jpg
What the heck was that? It looked like a mish-mosh of fed ship parts :D :D :D
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Post by Master of Ossus »

What you try and do is create parity of design within all of the components of the ship. You want to make them look as if they were designed to go together, rather than glued on at the end. This is usually pretty tough with the standard space-frames of ST ships, because they are designed to have two or four warp-engines, and is why your "Periwinkle" design is widely considered to be the best one there.
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."
Moonshadow
Padawan Learner

Post by Moonshadow »

Borg Cubes. A big Cube made of what looks like pipes *yawn*
Born of different worlds,woven together by fate, each shall rise to face their destiny- Grandia II, one of many reasons to be a Dreamcaster