The Breen

PST: discuss Star Trek without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Uraniun235
Emperor's Hand

The Breen

Post by Uraniun235 »

When did the Breen show up? I watched DS9 intermittently, and I once tuned in to see them talking about the Breen and I think "who the fuck are THEY?"
Raxmei
Rabid Monkey

Post by Raxmei »

Repeated mentions in TNG, but no sightings. They were considered highly mysterious. First on-screen appearance was in a DS9 holosuite. First on-screen of a real Breen was in a Dominion prison camp. After a while they allied with the Dominion-Cardassian alliance.
I prepared Explosive Runes today.
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

Raxmei wrote:Repeated mentions in TNG, but no sightings. They were considered highly mysterious. First on-screen appearance was in a DS9 holosuite. First on-screen of a real Breen was in a Dominion prison camp. After a while they allied with the Dominion-Cardassian alliance.
Actually we spotted the Breen when the Cardassians were at war with the Klingons and the Federation was neutral at that point.
"If the facts are on your side, pound on the facts. If the law is on your side, pound on the law. If neither is on your side, pound on the table."

"The captain claimed our people violated a 4,000 year old treaty forbidding us to develop hyperspace technology. Extermination of our planet was the consequence. The subject did not survive interrogation."
kojikun
BANNED

Post by kojikun »

no no no, we first saw breen in the original Star Wars trilogy. :lol:
Sì! Abbiamo un' anima! Ma è fatta di tanti piccoli robot.
johnmarkley
Padawan Learner

Post by johnmarkley »

I think the first mention was in TNG, when Troi said she couldn't sense the minds of certain alien races with unusual brain structures, such as Frengi and Breen.
Vast Right-Wing Conspiracy
Abe Vigoda Knight of the Late Knights of Conan O'Brien
Stravo
Official SD.Net Teller of Tales

Post by Stravo »

kojikun wrote:no no no, we first saw breen in the original Star Wars trilogy. :lol:
Seriously, WTF was that I mean it WAS The Bosh costume no ifs ands or buts...seriously it was always jarring whenever I watched them during teh Dominion War because I kept thinking to myself in a Chris Rock voice: "George Lucas is gonna sue somebody!"
Wherever you go, there you are.

Ripped Shirt Monkey - BOTMWriter's Guild Cybertron's Finest Justice League
This updated sig brought to you by JME2
Jason von Evil
Sol Badguy

Post by Jason von Evil »

The Breen also hold the distinction of being the only race (as far as I know) to successfully launch an attack on Earth itself.
"It was the hooker rationing that finally drove people over the edge." - Mike on coup in Thailand.
Sothis
Jedi Knight

Post by Sothis »

Breen also had weapons that could drain Fed and Romulan ships of power. They did it to the Klingons too, but the Klingons found a way around that.
Hakuna Matata
The Forums of Sothis! http://www.1-2-free-forums.com/mf/sothis.html
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

Sothis wrote:Breen also had weapons that could drain Fed and Romulan ships of power. They did it to the Klingons too, but the Klingons found a way around that.
Actually they ALL found a way around that.
"If the facts are on your side, pound on the facts. If the law is on your side, pound on the law. If neither is on your side, pound on the table."

"The captain claimed our people violated a 4,000 year old treaty forbidding us to develop hyperspace technology. Extermination of our planet was the consequence. The subject did not survive interrogation."
Sothis
Jedi Knight

Post by Sothis »

Alyeska wrote:
Sothis wrote:Breen also had weapons that could drain Fed and Romulan ships of power. They did it to the Klingons too, but the Klingons found a way around that.
Actually they ALL found a way around that.
Yeah, but the Klingons found a way first. Quite nifty that Bird of Prey having a defective warp core :P
Hakuna Matata
The Forums of Sothis! http://www.1-2-free-forums.com/mf/sothis.html
Lord Pounder
Pretty Hate Machine

Post by Lord Pounder »

Must be the 1st time in ST a defective warp core ever done any good. And to think a hi-tech solution from the klingons of all people
RIP Yosemite Bear
Gone, Never Forgotten
kojikun
BANNED

Post by kojikun »

Breen also had weapons that could drain Fed and Romulan ships of power. They did it to the Klingons too, but the Klingons found a way around that.
Breenchu! Go! Do leech life! Yeah!
Sì! Abbiamo un' anima! Ma è fatta di tanti piccoli robot.
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

Aya wrote:The Breen also hold the distinction of being the only race (as far as I know) to successfully launch an attack on Earth itself.
Even though, IIRC, they did little to no real damage.
JADAFETWA
Coalition
Jedi Master

Post by Coalition »

They might not have done much in real damage, but the morale effect on Starfleet was probably very crippling.

Imagine in Star wars, is the Vong had managed to strike Coruscant within the first couple weeks of the invasion. Admittedly, it might have actually unified the government, but the knowledge that these aliens could strike anywhere within you territory, even heavily guarded locations might cause a shift in fleet deployments.

Still though, I wonder what the Breen are hiding these days. After all:

Attack at Earth: Breen attacked, but didn't use the energy draining weapons (since they were a total surprise later).

Attack with Energy drainers: The Breen might have had larger ships in the works later.

Attack at Cardassia Prime: Some of the larger ships are displayed, and the largest ones are merely mock-ups and/or prototypes.(Pet theory, not actual fact)

Each time the Breen have attacked, they have always kept some of their capabilities hidden. So what are they hiding these days? Unless the Breen are a remote off-shoot of humanity?
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

In my opinion, the Breen were made far too mysterious and underused to make them interesting.

And if they went with circular goggles instead of a rectangular visor, they wouldn't look so much like a rip off.
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
Jason von Evil
Sol Badguy

Post by Jason von Evil »

IG-88E wrote:
Aya wrote:The Breen also hold the distinction of being the only race (as far as I know) to successfully launch an attack on Earth itself.
They destroyed SF HQ, the academy, the golden gate bridge (I think...) and damaged Paris, causing all the French to surrender. =op
"It was the hooker rationing that finally drove people over the edge." - Mike on coup in Thailand.
Uraniun235
Emperor's Hand

Post by Uraniun235 »

Aya wrote:
IG-88E wrote:
They destroyed SF HQ, the academy, the golden gate bridge (I think...) and damaged Paris, causing all the French to surrender. =op
What episode was this?
Coalition
Jedi Master

Post by Coalition »

"The Changing Face of Evil"

Season 7 I believe.
Dark Primus
Jedi Master

Post by Dark Primus »

Narns eats Breen for lunch. Quite an amusing episode.

Wondering what happened to the Breen after the War?
EAT SHIT AND DIE! - Because I say so

"Me Grimlock Badass" -Grimlock
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

Dark Primus wrote:Wondering what happened to the Breen after the War?
They packed up and went back to the Star Wars universe. :lol:
Captain Kruger
Padawan Learner
Location: REALITY: Las Vegas FANTASY: riding the Beast, guarding the Bucket's ass

Post by Captain Kruger »

The Breen have the distinction of having destroyed one of the coolest ships in sci-fi, the Defiant. :evil:
Take life by the balls!

The Universal Constants: death, taxes, and Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones sucking ass.

Uraniun235
Emperor's Hand

Post by Uraniun235 »

Heh, despite the fact that the Defiant probably wins for "most console explosions and sparks ever" award. :roll:
Superman
Pink Foamin' at the Mouth

Post by Superman »

Who cares about that flying nut sack that they called "the Defiant." It was a lame ship.
Captain Kruger
Padawan Learner
Location: REALITY: Las Vegas FANTASY: riding the Beast, guarding the Bucket's ass

Post by Captain Kruger »

Superman wrote:Who cares about that flying nut sack that they called "the Defiant." It was a lame ship.
Uh…by what standards? It was the only structurally-sound starship in the entire history of Star Trek. Plus it proved it could kick the crap out of ships quite a bit larger than itself. What's so lame here?
Take life by the balls!

The Universal Constants: death, taxes, and Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones sucking ass.