Why hasn't this happened Yet.

PST: discuss Star Trek without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Why hasn't this happened Yet.

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

All the time I keep hearing people mention that the saucer phasor strip has a 360* arc, I look at it's location on the UNDERSIDE of the saucer, and the positions of the Pylons, and Wonder....

Ok, why hasn't someone shot the Pylon's off yet?

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Raxmei
Rabid Monkey

Post by Raxmei »

Nobody is that stupid, not even Starfleet.
I prepared Explosive Runes today.
consequences
Homicidal Maniac

Post by consequences »

Because as much as we make fun of Starfleet's safety record, they were intelligent enough to put a failsafe in that keeps the ship from shooting itself? Of course, that means a fighter could just clamp onto the nacelle facing the ship and blow the crap out of it, but you can't have everything.
Keevan_Colton
Emperor's Hand
Location: In the Land of Logic and Reason, two doors down from Lilliput and across the road from Atlantis...

Post by Keevan_Colton »

Perhaps its something like this that is the cause of mysterious system failures in combat?

"Sir, we've just lost warp drive..."
"What? How?"
"We sliced the nacelles off with our phasers sir..."
"Thats the third time this week...."
"Prodesse Non Nocere."
"It's all about popularity really, if your invisible friend that tells you to invade places is called Napoleon, you're a loony, if he's called Jesus then you're the president."
"I'd drive more people insane, but I'd have to double back and pick them up first..."
"All it takes for bullshit to thrive is for rational men to do nothing." - Kevin Farrell, B.A. Journalism.
BOTM - EBC - Horseman - G&C - Vampire
Raxmei
Rabid Monkey

Post by Raxmei »

If you are actually capable of physically clamping onto the nacelle with your ship, you can cause major damage anyway. Not to mention the difficulty of penetrating the shields to get there.
I prepared Explosive Runes today.
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

Sir, we lost decks 17-25 of the engineering hull again, and the main spar connecting the saucer is badly damaged.

Someone tryied to hit something directly behind us again?

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Pcm979
Rabid Monkey

Post by Pcm979 »

Raxmei wrote:If you are actually capable of physically clamping onto the nacelle with your ship, you can cause major damage anyway. Not to mention the difficulty of penetrating the shields to get there.
Difficulty? In trek? They can just recaliblate the shield phase matrix to correspond with the subspace energy influx modulator, causing subatomic farion radiation to overload the jurispon particle flux manager and allowing local luminal electro magnetic radiation to destabilise the interdimensional energy refraction/dissapation system. :D
Keevan_Colton
Emperor's Hand
Location: In the Land of Logic and Reason, two doors down from Lilliput and across the road from Atlantis...

Post by Keevan_Colton »

Pcm979 wrote:
Raxmei wrote:If you are actually capable of physically clamping onto the nacelle with your ship, you can cause major damage anyway. Not to mention the difficulty of penetrating the shields to get there.
Difficulty? In trek? They can just recaliblate the shield phase matrix to correspond with the subspace energy influx modulator, causing subatomic farion radiation to overload the jurispon particle flux manager, allowing local luminal electro magnetic radiation to destabilise the interdimensional energy refraction/dissapation system. :D
Remeber to compensate for the subspace quantum phase harmonic coefficent recalibration though. :lol:
"Prodesse Non Nocere."
"It's all about popularity really, if your invisible friend that tells you to invade places is called Napoleon, you're a loony, if he's called Jesus then you're the president."
"I'd drive more people insane, but I'd have to double back and pick them up first..."
"All it takes for bullshit to thrive is for rational men to do nothing." - Kevin Farrell, B.A. Journalism.
Pcm979
Rabid Monkey

Post by Pcm979 »

Keevan_Colton wrote:
Pcm979 wrote:
Difficulty? In trek? They can just recaliblate the shield phase matrix to correspond with the subspace energy influx modulator, causing subatomic farion radiation to overload the jurispon particle flux manager, allowing local luminal electro magnetic radiation to destabilise the interdimensional energy refraction/dissapation system. :D
Remeber to compensate for the subspace quantum phase harmonic coefficent recalibration though. :lol:
I also forgot to account for the interluminal matter-inversion superstring containment paradox.
Keevan_Colton
Emperor's Hand

Post by Keevan_Colton »

Pcm979 wrote:
Keevan_Colton wrote: Remeber to compensate for the subspace quantum phase harmonic coefficent recalibration though. :lol:
I also forgot to account for the interluminal matter-inversion superstring containment paradox.
That would have been bad....
a dilitium cascade overload of your own quantum alignment matrix. :lol: :lol:
"Prodesse Non Nocere."
Pcm979
Rabid Monkey

Post by Pcm979 »

Keevan_Colton wrote:
Pcm979 wrote:
Keevan_Colton wrote: Remeber to compensate for the subspace quantum phase harmonic coefficent recalibration though. :lol:
What about a subspace barrier realignment of the quantam manifold simulator?! :shock:
Keevan_Colton
Emperor's Hand

Post by Keevan_Colton »

Pcm979 wrote:
Keevan_Colton wrote:
Pcm979 wrote:I also forgot to account for the interluminal matter-inversion superstring containment paradox.
What about a subspace barrier realignment of the quantam manifold simulator?! :shock:
That'd be risky...best to test it on the holodeck first. :wink:
"Prodesse Non Nocere."
Pcm979
Rabid Monkey

Post by Pcm979 »

Keevan_Colton wrote:
Pcm979 wrote:
Keevan_Colton wrote: That would have been bad....
That'd be risky...best to test it on the holodeck first. :wink:
The holodeck is currently "simulating" Natalie Portman, please come back in, ooooh, 38 hours. :twisted:
consequences
Homicidal Maniac

Post by consequences »

In all seriousness, you could just fly through the particle shielding without difficulty if the Jemhadar ramming attacks in later DS9 are any indication. Of course, you can fly through the ship without much difficulty either.
Uraniun235
Emperor's Hand

Re: Why hasn't this happened Yet.

Post by Uraniun235 »

The Yosemite Bear wrote:All the time I keep hearing people mention that the saucer phasor strip has a 360* arc, I look at it's location on the UNDERSIDE of the saucer, and the positions of the Pylons, and Wonder....

Because they have other phasers for those targets?
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

The Yosemite Bear wrote:All the time I keep hearing people mention that the saucer phasor strip has a 360* arc, I look at it's location on the UNDERSIDE of the saucer, and the positions of the Pylons, and Wonder....

Perhaps they've mastered the 1915 concept of the interrupter screw or something like that. A major leap in military science for them.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

Sea Skimmer wrote:

Perhaps they've mastered the 1915 concept of the interrupter screw or something like that. A major leap in military science for them.
Indeed, given that they can't make anything else with basic precautions that represents a quantum leap in saftey technology.