Changes in the Sovereign for Nemesis

PST: discuss Star Trek without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Changes in the Sovereign for Nemesis

Post by Alyeska »

I think most of us here know the Sovereign underwent some changes after Insurrection and before Nemesis. The obvious ones being the added weapon systems. Well it turns out there were more significant changes then just added weapons.

Image Link

You can see a bulge has been added right at the point where saucer and engineering section meet. The warp engine pylons got moved forward and replaced with longer ones pushing the warp engines up and also shortening the ship by several meters.

Talking with IP, I've come to a possible explination for all three known major changes.

The first is the warp engines. They were moved to improve warp effiency, ie better top speed. IP pointed out such a change in the structure could noticably compromise the durability of the ship. A trade for higher speeds because of the change in the design. Though it also remains possible this was accounted for. It also places the warp engines slightly more exposed.

The second is the added weapon systems. We already know about this.

The third change was the bulge, and I suspect that was added to improve internal volume to accomodate greater torpedo storage. Prior to Nemesis the Sovereign only had 5 torpedo launchers. After Nemesis the Sovereign had 9 torpedo launchers. More launchers, need more torpedoes, need more storage.

Anyway, what IP and I discussed and generaly agree on is that the Sovereign got upgraded from a rather powerful Explorer with good offensive capability to something more along the lines of a Battle Cruiser with Exploration being seconded with combat being the primary mission of the ship. Battle Cruiser, faster speed, greater firepower, a sacrafice in endurance and durability.
Last edited by Alyeska on 2005-06-04 07:18pm, edited 2 times in total.
"If the facts are on your side, pound on the facts. If the law is on your side, pound on the law. If neither is on your side, pound on the table."

"The captain claimed our people violated a 4,000 year old treaty forbidding us to develop hyperspace technology. Extermination of our planet was the consequence. The subject did not survive interrogation."
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

Naughty Alyeska. Hotlinking to EAS hasn't been allowed for months. Better to just link to the page it's on.
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

Fine, I will rehost it on my own site. Its still credited as EAS.
"If the facts are on your side, pound on the facts. If the law is on your side, pound on the law. If neither is on your side, pound on the table."

"The captain claimed our people violated a 4,000 year old treaty forbidding us to develop hyperspace technology. Extermination of our planet was the consequence. The subject did not survive interrogation."
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

So um, what page did it come from?

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

Starfleet Ships, second listing.

Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Aly in DITL.org it said that those new torp tubes seem to be too small to reloaded (so they're single shot), what do you think?

PS. that pic is fucking up the page format.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

Lord Revan wrote:Aly in DITL.org it said that those new torp tubes seem to be too small to reloaded (so they're single shot), what do you think?

PS. that pic is fucking up the page format.
DITL would be wrong since we have seen those launchers fire multiple times. I don't see why they couldn't be reloaded. The Akira class has launchers crammed right next to each other. Hell, the Quantum Torpedo launcher actualy doesn't have a lot of room at one point (the launcher crowds the captains yatch windshield terribly) in their aiming, and they can reload. The Enterprise recieved a noticable refit and its launchers likely have elements burried within the hull of the ship.

Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Alyeska wrote:DITL would be wrong since we have seen those launchers fire multiple times. I don't see why they couldn't be reloaded. The Akira class has launchers crammed right next to each other. Hell, the Quantum Torpedo launcher actualy doesn't have a lot of room at one point (the launcher crowds the captains yatch windshield terribly) in their aiming, and they can reload. The Enterprise recieved a noticable refit and its launchers likely have elements burried within the hull of the ship.
that makes sence.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

The shoulder pack isn't really in a good position to be a magazine: they'd need to move a lot of internal stuff around to have the new volume be at the bottom of the engineering section. Whats the widget on top of the shuttle bay? </am unfamiliar with E-E2 mods>
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Stark wrote:Whats the widget on top of the shuttle bay?
Another launcher.

Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Shit, that IS small. Wonder how they get the casings/AM up there. Winches? WW2-style turret wells in the shuttlebay?
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

Stark wrote:The shoulder pack isn't really in a good position to be a magazine: they'd need to move a lot of internal stuff around to have the new volume be at the bottom of the engineering section. Whats the widget on top of the shuttle bay? </am unfamiliar with E-E2 mods>
I don't know, while it could be for room for ordenance, it could just as well be a hangar expansion.

Oh, and are you talking about the widget that looks like an airscoop facing the wrong way on the the observation lounge thingy?
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Knife wrote:
Stark wrote:The shoulder pack isn't really in a good position to be a magazine: they'd need to move a lot of internal stuff around to have the new volume be at the bottom of the engineering section. Whats the widget on top of the shuttle bay? </am unfamiliar with E-E2 mods>
I don't know, while it could be for room for ordenance, it could just as well be a hangar expansion.

Oh, and are you talking about the widget that looks like an airscoop facing the wrong way on the the observation lounge thingy?
He was refering to what's on top of the rear saucer hanger. But there's a launcher on top of the lounge, too.

Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

Spanky The Dolphin wrote: He was refering to what's on top of the rear saucer hanger. But there's a launcher on top of the lounge, too.
Are we talking about the same widget? I'm talking about the widget on the last 'stack' like structure leading aft from the bridge with huge yellow windows on it. Isn't that the lounge?

And I don't see any new widget on the hangar except the bulge under/beside it.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
Lancer
Sith Marauder

Post by Lancer »

locations of the added torp launchers:

Last edited by Lancer on 2005-06-04 10:53pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Knife wrote:Are we talking about the same widget? I'm talking about the widget on the last 'stack' like structure leading aft from the bridge with huge yellow windows on it. Isn't that the lounge?

And I don't see any new widget on the hangar except the bulge under/beside it.

Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Shit, nevermind what I pointed out over the Lounge, Knife. That seems to be shit. We're both talking about what's above the docking assembly.

Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

The launcher in question.

Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

Spanky The Dolphin wrote:Shit, nevermind what I pointed out over the Lounge, Knife. That seems to be shit. We're both talking about what's above the docking assembly.
Yup, that's the one. Hmm, docking facility. Ok. With the big huge window's I just figured it was an office/meeting room thingy. The Fed's like them, after all.

On the launcher, that's pretty small for a PT/QT launcher. Could it be a pre-loaded two shot derringer type weapon? Or maybe a micro torpedo launcher?

Lancer
Sith Marauder

Post by Lancer »

Knife wrote:
Spanky The Dolphin wrote:Shit, nevermind what I pointed out over the Lounge, Knife. That seems to be shit. We're both talking about what's above the docking assembly.
Yup, that's the one. Hmm, docking facility. Ok. With the big huge window's I just figured it was an office/meeting room thingy. The Fed's like them, after all.

On the launcher, that's pretty small for a PT/QT launcher. Could it be a pre-loaded two shot derringer type weapon? Or maybe a micro torpedo launcher?
Too big to be a microtorp launcher.

The issue with the derringer idea is that they're seen firing multiple times.
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

Matt Huang wrote:
Too big to be a microtorp launcher.

The issue with the derringer idea is that they're seen firing multiple times.
Hmm, then there is a problem. Since it's obvious that there is a docking port right under it and huge windows to the left and right, where is all the normal equipment that usually goes with a torpedo launcher? Did they de comission the docking port and place a bunch of PT/QT launch equipment where the docking room was and turn it into a ad hoc weapons room?

Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

That particular "deck" looks rather tall. The launcher assembly can be in the ceiling.

Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

Alyeska wrote:That particular "deck" looks rather tall. The launcher assembly can be in the ceiling.
The window's, in your live action pic, go all the way to the top of the deck, so unless the hallway that the docking port leads into is a lot shorter in heigth than the rooms to the port and starboard, I don't see where the equipment would go?

Lancer
Sith Marauder

Post by Lancer »

Knife wrote:
Alyeska wrote:That particular "deck" looks rather tall. The launcher assembly can be in the ceiling.
The window's, in your live action pic, go all the way to the top of the deck, so unless the hallway that the docking port leads into is a lot shorter in heigth than the rooms to the port and starboard, I don't see where the equipment would go?
Keep in mind that there was also a long, dark shaft/bottomless pit on a deck that existed "below" the ventral surface of the ship.
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

Matt Huang wrote:
Keep in mind that there was also a long, dark shaft/bottomless pit on a deck that existed "below" the ventral surface of the ship.
:shock: :?: ST V? What?