OTNGEG - Where No One Has Gone Before

PST: discuss Star Trek without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Mayabird
Storytime!

OTNGEG - Where No One Has Gone Before

Post by Mayabird »

Another first season episode, now with magic thinking and a space pedophile. Or, whatever the equivalent is with teenage boys.

Also, http://sfdebris.blip.tv. I have no idea what the Blip TV channels are like or what they're about but apparently Chuck will be reposting the videos there, plus cleaning up and redoing some old ones (although everything's being left on the Youtube channel as well).
DPDarkPrimus is my boyfriend!

SDNW4 Nation: The Refuge And, on Nova Terra, Al-Stan the Totally and Completely Honest and Legitimate Weapons Dealer and Used Starship Salesman slept on a bed made of money, with a blaster under his pillow and his sombrero pulled over his face. This is to say, he slept very well indeed.
Baffalo
Jedi Knight

Re: OTNGEG - Where No One Has Gone Before

Post by Baffalo »

Hehehe I love his reviews. Can't get enough of them. And it's been a while since I saw the episode so I believe the name is accurate... Where No One Has Gone Before... actually going after Wesley. Dear God how desperate are these guys? Is that why he comes back in Nemesis? He got too old to stay in the magical space ship with free candy written on the side?
"I subsist on 3 things: Sugar, Caffeine, and Hatred." -Baffalo late at night and hungry

"Why are you worried about the water pressure? You're near the ocean, you've got plenty of water!" -Architect to our team
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

LOL, now this is an episode I did remember and I still love that some guy with the power of the mind!!! can force something to the ends of the universe. While the mumbo jumbo technobabble isn't bad in most parts, it is that feat that made this episode hilarious.

But I do thank Chuck for pointing out the man-boy love bits. That I never remembered :P
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
adam_grif
Sith Devotee

Post by adam_grif »

In Star Trek verse thought shapes everything. Ergo Trek characters can easily crush the Empire by willing it. :)

Great review as always.
A scientist once gave a public lecture on astronomy. He described how the Earth orbits around the sun and how the sun, in turn, orbits around the centre of a vast collection of stars called our galaxy.

At the end of the lecture, a little old lady at the back of the room got up and said: 'What you have told us is rubbish. The world is really a flat plate supported on the back of a giant tortoise.

The scientist gave a superior smile before replying, 'What is the tortoise standing on?'

'You're very clever, young man, very clever,' said the old lady. 'But it's turtles all the way down.'
Marcus Aurelius
Jedi Master

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

Mayabird wrote: Another first season episode, now with magic thinking and a space pedophile. Or, whatever the equivalent is with teenage boys.
Space Roman. Because the ancient Romans and Greek were like that. :P
Ryushikaze
Jedi Master

Post by Ryushikaze »

Mayabird wrote:Or, whatever the equivalent is with teenage boys.
Ephebophilia
OsirisLord
Youngling

Post by OsirisLord »

That's the second time in a week I've run into/had a discussion, on that word.

Anyway I too like the matte painting effects used through out this episode. Too often with modern film and television my answer to "How did they do that" is swept away with the obvious "hurr durr compootars". I'm always impressed with what people were able to do with less back in the day. It's too bad this episode is crap and has really unsettling implications. Still Wesely is now an acting Ensign, so if you though he was annoying before, then you ain't seen nothing yet.
Revy
Jedi Knight

Post by Revy »

I always thought this would have been a great episode for them to break the fourth wall and reveal to the characters that they're fictional. After all, they live in a reality shaped by thought. All they needed was a cameo from Roddenberry and/or some of the writing staff and presto! We now have an in-universe explanation for every nonsensical mistake and continuity error ever to appear in Trek.

Heck, wouldn't it be great if they did that as a surprise twist for Stargate Universe? "Hey guys, we're going in search of God! And his name is ... Brad Wright?"
"And the writers sayeth unto the firmament: let there be a hokey plot convenience! And lo, I sayeth it shall be a curse upon Voyager, and all the people who dwell within, and they shall surely feeleth like a collection of jackasses."
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

the fake Picard statue was great. I am still laughing.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

While this episode was horrible. I really like the scene where Picard talks to his mother, its sweet, dreamlike, and a tad unsettling. That and if we had more scenes like Yar's flashing to her past we could have gotten a lot of insight on the characters. But that would have been the smart thing to do.
Carinthium
BANNED

Post by Carinthium »

Could this stuff allow some outer Trek states to survive a hypothetical Empire invasion? If a large enough ship gets to the edges of the galaxy and uses the power of thought to create food and water etc and hide themselves from the Empire, the Empire can't will them out because they don't know they're there.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Carinthium wrote:Could this stuff allow some outer Trek states to survive a hypothetical Empire invasion? If a large enough ship gets to the edges of the galaxy and uses the power of thought to create food and water etc and hide themselves from the Empire, the Empire can't will them out because they don't know they're there.
No, because it would be a MacGuffin that is pretty much useless as human beings can't control their thoughts. See Yar and Worf.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Uraniun235
Emperor's Hand

Post by Uraniun235 »

Carinthium wrote:Could this stuff allow some outer Trek states to survive a hypothetical Empire invasion? If a large enough ship gets to the edges of the galaxy and uses the power of thought to create food and water etc and hide themselves from the Empire, the Empire can't will them out because they don't know they're there.
This episode did not take place at the edge of the galaxy, they left the Milky Way galaxy and shot past several others. If you care to take the episode at its word, the area of space in which "thought = reality" was located billions of light-years away.

If the Federation were to gain reliable access to such speeds, you wouldn't need to go to the land of make-believe to escape the Empire, you could just load up a bunch of ships and colonize other galaxies.
"There is no "taboo" on using nuclear weapons." -Julhelm
What is Project Zohar?
"On a serious note (well not really) I did sometimes jump in and rate nBSG episodes a '5' before the episode even aired or I saw it." - RogueIce explaining that episode ratings on SDN tv show threads are bunk
RedImperator
Roosevelt Republican

Post by RedImperator »

Revy wrote:I always thought this would have been a great episode for them to break the fourth wall and reveal to the characters that they're fictional. After all, they live in a reality shaped by thought. All they needed was a cameo from Roddenberry and/or some of the writing staff and presto! We now have an in-universe explanation for every nonsensical mistake and continuity error ever to appear in Trek.
Pretty sure the fourth episode of a brand new series is not the time to go all postmodern on the audience.
Any city gets what it admires, will pay for, and, ultimately, deserves…We want and deserve tin-can architecture in a tinhorn culture. And we will probably be judged not by the monuments we build but by those we have destroyed.--Ada Louise Huxtable, "Farewell to Penn Station", New York Times editorial, 30 October 1963
X-Ray Blues