Strange New Worlds (spoilers)

PST: discuss Star Trek without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Re: Strange New Worlds (spoilers)

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

Especially as now Pike knows how NOT to handle Balance of Terror he can adopt Kirk's approach instead so that Spock doesn't get crippled (so he cannot carry out his actions in Reunification) and the Romulans don't invade the Federation.
Formless
Sith Marauder

Post by Formless »

Maybe, but next season he's going to meet a time traveling Ensigns Mariner and Boimler, and who knows what future secrets those two are going to accidentally spill. Boimler isn't exactly good at not fanboying in the presence of famous Starfleet personnel in his own time period. Plus, Pike knows once he commits to his future, the ship is going to need a new captain anyway, so tutoring Jim Kirk for his future captaincy of the Enterprise makes sense, and would explain why Kirk is featured in the trailer prominently.
"Still, I would love to see human beings, and their constituent organ systems, trivialized and commercialized to the same extent as damn iPods and other crappy consumer products. It would be absolutely horrific, yet so wonderful." — Shroom Man 777
"To Err is Human; to Arrr is Pirate." — Skallagrim
“I would suggest "Schmuckulating", which is what Futurists do and, by extension, what they are." — Commenter "Rayneau"
The Magic Eight Ball Conspiracy.
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

I just hope they decide to make Jim Kirk canonically queer, purely because it would make a lot of old-school fans very happy and probably make William Shatner very unhappy.

I'd also give real money for an episode where the Gorn get a semblance of characterisation beyond generic sci-fi monsters, but that's probably wishful thinking on my part.
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Zaune wrote: 2023-05-28 11:09am I just hope they decide to make Jim Kirk canonically queer, purely because it would make a lot of old-school fans very happy and probably make William Shatner very unhappy.

I'd also give real money for an episode where the Gorn get a semblance of characterisation beyond generic sci-fi monsters, but that's probably wishful thinking on my part.
Good luck with that:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

EnterpriseSovereign wrote: 2023-06-02 02:05pm
Zaune wrote: 2023-05-28 11:09am I just hope they decide to make Jim Kirk canonically queer, purely because it would make a lot of old-school fans very happy and probably make William Shatner very unhappy.

Good luck with that:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Well Bi- and Pan-Sexual are a type of LGBTQ+ and they're not just "gays in disguise", so Kirk can be queer and not be gay.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Given that people in the ST universe are having sex with alien species, some of which have entirely different gender set-ups, you'd think that the Humans would be over their quibbles with same-sex relationships.... but Humans aren't rational.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

Besides, there was apparently* enough subtext between him and Spock that people were picking up on it in the Sixties, so... *shrug*

And allow me to reiterate: It would really, really annoy William Shatner.

* I say "apparently" because I didn't really see it at the time, but then I haven't sat down and rewatched TOS since the 90s.
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

I Have A Blog
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Zaune wrote: 2023-06-03 07:17am Besides, there was apparently* enough subtext between him and Spock that people were picking up on it in the Sixties, so... *shrug*

* I say "apparently" because I didn't really see it at the time, but then I haven't sat down and rewatched TOS since the 90s.
I've heard that too but I haven't seen it for myself. If anything they're Heterosexual Life-Partners, not forgetting Bones :lol:
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Zaune wrote: 2023-06-03 07:17am Besides, there was apparently* enough subtext between him and Spock that people were picking up on it in the Sixties, so... *shrug*
If it's anything like the shipping that goes on today, there's no guarantee that the people picking up on it are responding to anything that was on screen.
I haven't been paying much attention to Shatner. Why does annoying him appeal to you ?
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Apparently Ol' Bill can be an abrasive personality and has that effect on a lot of people.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

Indeed. And he was on social media grumbling about how Trek had gone "woke" because... I honestly don't remember what specific plot point he was upset about, only that it was in Discovery of all shows.

This from the first white man to kiss a black woman on network television in the United States, and who had to intentionally sabotage several takes to make it happen.

-- fgalkin

I Have A Blog
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Zaune wrote: 2023-06-04 07:34am Indeed. And he was on social media grumbling about how Trek had gone "woke" because... I honestly don't remember what specific plot point he was upset about, only that it was in Discovery of all shows.
The thing in modern Trek most likely to anger people who complain about "woke" would be the nonbinary character getting referred to by they/them pronouns. So I'm not surprised that Discovery is what set him off.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

There is also the happily married gay couple in Discovery, that will crank some handles. Probably some other stuff, but I'm not a right wing snowflake so I sometimes miss what triggers them.

Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

If good old AndroAsc is to be believed just a female black lead with a normally male name is too woke. Oh and there's a plus sized cadet/Ensign in Tilly that caught a ton of flak.

Still not long to Strange New World S2. So that's fun. Rather than Kirk, I'm hoping Number one and Ortegas will get more focus as they've got more room to grow and explore with. Most of the other cast is boxed in by TOS to one extent or another.
Khaat
Jedi Master

Post by Khaat »

One thing about SNW that struck me was the ship often feels empty. TOS had nameless crew scuttling about, but there have been scenes in SNW where I honestly wonder if the crew is supposed to be 400+ anymore. "This is THE sickbay, right? Where is the staff?!"
Rule #1: Believe the autocrat. He means what he says.
Rule #2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule #3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule #4: Be outraged.
Rule #5: Don’t make compromises.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Most times the TOS sickbay only had McCoy and Chapel there iirc. I think the effect is exacerbated by the fact all the sets are huge and spacious.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

To be fair SNW isn't the first Trek Series to have (semi-)deserted corridors or rooms, TNG would be the first to do that.
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

TOS having full corridors was a bit spotty. There were quite a few episodes where there was just one person in the corridor and sometimes the ship seemed quite sparsely occupied.

I guess it depended on how much budget for extras was left over after the effects were paid for.

Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Even if the Constitution class was small compared to TNG (leave alone Wars) ships, it was still HUGE. 430 or so people on something that big are going to be spread pretty thin.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Yeah the Enterprise is about 290 meters at its shortest and SNW Enterprise seems longer. While modern carriers seem to have more populated corridors, they also about 10 times the crew and are only about 50 meters longer.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

More like 15 times and the Connie is significantly wider across the saucer section than a carrier is (with the carrier's widest being the flight deck, the actual hull is a lot narrower,especially towards the waterline).AND it's significantly taller. Granted a lot of the volume enclosed by< it's maximum external dimensions is empty space, but I'd say a Constitution class has at least two Nimitzes worth of volume with a minuscule fraction of the crew.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Presumably, a Constitution class starship is also significantly more automated than our contemporary aircraft carriers.

bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

There is also the question of how often crew would be walking corridors. How many of them have duties that require walking around other than at shift change ?
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Some of them might be doing the walking as a form of exercise?

Soontir C'boath
SG-14: Fuck the Medic!
Location: Queens, NYC I DON'T FUCKING CARE IF MANHATTEN IS CONSIDERED NYC!! I'M IN IT ASSHOLE!!!

Post by Soontir C'boath »

Season 2, episode 1:

Plus: Doctor and Nurse Chapel kicking ass. Although to be honest, it kind of felt like we were in Star Trek Online. Also, Jess Bush is pretty damn hot.
Looks like they want this Spock to explore his human side more thoroughly than any other. Though they probably have to make sure to keep it measured or he might as well be human.

Negative: Would have vastly preferred Hemmer was still alive. Read an article that they wanted to make SNW have consequences in the show, but killing off someone who wasn't in the original series is not exactly doing that. Especially when they get splashed with alien cum.
I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who constantly says: "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action"; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a "more convenient season."